Do you know all 50 states?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Viral_Lola:

SckizoBoy:
In fairness to Americans, in the UK, you never get taught county geography, and you'll (by percentage) find fewer Brits (sorry, read: English) who can name and locate all 83 counties than Americans who can name and locate the 50 states.

Geography where I live in the states isn't widely taught either. I got a 100% thanks to Animanics but I can name some of the provinces in parts of France and Germany. The only two Dutch provinces I know are The Hague and Amsterdam.

France?! Eh, no can do... though Germany, yah, can name all 16 Laender (sorry, can't be bothered to trawl around for an umlaut).

Is it sad that I can name all the kingdoms, grand-duchies, duchies, principalities and Imperial realms of the German Empire (when it existed)?

As a guy from Sweden Im proud to say I managed to find Texas, California, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii on the first try. The rest? Oh I got them eventually... after clicking randomly on the map for a while.

I got 50%.
Granted I've never learned anything about American geography in my entire life.

I know how to use Google if that's what your asking.

SckizoBoy:

Viral_Lola:

SckizoBoy:
In fairness to Americans, in the UK, you never get taught county geography, and you'll (by percentage) find fewer Brits (sorry, read: English) who can name and locate all 83 counties than Americans who can name and locate the 50 states.

Geography where I live in the states isn't widely taught either. I got a 100% thanks to Animanics but I can name some of the provinces in parts of France and Germany. The only two Dutch provinces I know are The Hague and Amsterdam.

France?! Eh, no can do... though Germany, yah, can name all 16 Laender (sorry, can't be bothered to trawl around for an umlaut).

Is it sad that I can name all the kingdoms, grand-duchies, duchies, principalities and Imperial realms of the German Empire (when it existed)?

No, because I can name a majority of them as well. It amuses my German friend.

47/50

Canadian

Surprisingly, I didn't resort to using sports teams as a memory aid and of the 3 I missed (Kentucky, Indiana, Nebraska) I could only have gotten one of them from teams anyway (the Colts, no way I remember the Pacers on the spur of the moment).

I did a different quiz though, just a blank map. I would do much worse on the quiz the OP linked. I have no real idea the placement of a lot of New England or the Deep South.

93%, bitches.

Connecticut, Iowa, and New Hampshire were what really screwed me up. But it's okay, because nobody gives a damn about those states.

Well...this is state location/shape recognition...much easier than naming them all.
I can get 100%...but I always have trouble with those tiny east cost states:
Vermont
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Road Island
Delaware
New Jersey
Maryland
New Hampshire
So yeah..like 97%

I also used to know all the capitols.
It's all pretty useless information anyways...as long as you can read a map.

EDIT: I got 100% the second time, so there I did it

I only got 84%, because I don't know New England at all. QQ

I could probably write them down, but not pick them out on a map. On the other hand, how many Swedish landskap can you name?

DaJoW:
I could probably write them down, but not pick them out on a map. On the other hand, how many Swedish landskap can you name?

What's a landskap?

I probably know a few off the top of my head but I really don't care to bother to learn, I never plan to go there. I've plenty of Americans about 'Bristol' and 'Somerset' and they have no idea where - or even what they are in England. Why should I bother doing the same for them?
So no. I don't know 50 states.

97% I got Vermont and New Hampshire mixed up and Alabama and Mississipi mixed up.

And kansas w/ Nebraska

I am American.

I'm British and I got 90% I don't think that is too bad really. The ones in the middle are harder to remember because there is sod all there. xD

Nebraska gave me the most trouble if you're interested.

Dr Snakeman:
93%, bitches.

Connecticut, Iowa, and New Hampshire were what really screwed me up. But it's okay, because nobody gives a damn about those states.

Actually, it's kind of funny, because both New Hampshire and Iowa are BIG primary election states.

But you're right, nobody gives a damn about Connecticut.

GraveeKing:
I probably know a few off the top of my head but I really don't care to bother to learn, I never plan to go there. I've plenty of Americans about 'Bristol' and 'Somerset' and they have no idea where - or even what they are in England. Why should I bother doing the same for them?
So no. I don't know 50 states.

Yep. Makes sense.

I indeed know neither where Bristol and Somerset are, and whether or not they are towns, cities, etc...

Wierdguy:
As a guy from Sweden Im proud to say I managed to find Texas, California, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii on the first try. The rest? Oh I got them eventually... after clicking randomly on the map for a while.

lol, Sweden eh? I recognize that avatar...

Yeah, you pretty much got the famous ones. I guess the only other one I think people get is New York.

Viral_Lola:
No, because I can a majority of them as well. It amuses my German friend.

'Amuses'? One would've thought 'impresses' would be more apt. But still, my love of nineteenth century military history has stuffed a veritable cornucopia of useless knowledge into my already crap-filled head! =P (Imperial German geography being part of it... *sigh* *needs to get out more*...(!))

I gave up after I realised most of the states I thought were in the south like Idaho and Utah turned out to be in the west.

SckizoBoy:

Viral_Lola:
No, because I can name a majority of them as well. It amuses my German friend.

'Amuses'? One would've thought 'impresses' would be more apt. But still, my love of nineteenth century military history has stuffed a veritable cornucopia of useless knowledge into my already crap-filled head! =P (Imperial German geography being part of it... *sigh* *needs to get out more*...(!))

Amuses because he refers to me as a cerebral powerhouse. He's trying to teach me German right now.

I'm pretty confident I could name them all given enough time, but I struggle to point to them all on a map. Then again I'm British, and your country is just too damn big! =3

98%, though I knew the first one and cheated by clicking all the other ones until I knew all of them.

All I have to do is remember Wakko's song from "Animaniacs."

98% I always mix up Vermont and New Hampshire

Viral_Lola:
Amuses because he refers to me as a cerebral powerhouse. He's trying to teach me German right now.

Cool, on both counts. I'm fearing that I'm losing my German speaking skill... since the only German speakers around me speak Swiss German (which sounds just... weird...).

I'm Californian, and one with no regard for any other state, believing them to be useless cos I got everything I need here.

50% which isn't bad for a New Zealander who's never been to the US.

I do not. I am not American, I am not from an English speaking country... why should I know it?... meh... I know some... but cba to write 'em down....

Since I'm not American no, however I did try to guess then realised I couldn't because they are all just fucking squares!

El Poncho:
Since I'm not American no, however I did try to guess then realised I couldn't because they are all just fucking squares!

You calling us squares?!

Good luck yanks, I can't even tell you how many countys are in England, but I know its a sh*t load less than 50!

I'm English, so no. We learn useful stuff in school.

demoman_chaos:
Yes, due to a song they made us sing many many many many many many times back in school.

Was it, by chance, set to the music for "Turkey in the Straw?"

Also, this test is totally incorrect. Why doesn't it list Canada? And what the hell is "Montana?"

98%. Western states get me every time. And there was one misclick.

EDIT:

GundamSentinel:
92%, not bad for a non-American I'd say. I doubt most American can name even one Dutch province.

I'll admit I can't, but American kids don't get to decide what they learn in school and American schools can only teach so much in the time they have. Is there any books on Dutch provinces for anybody interested?

Thought it was 53 states, I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure about this, but I always heard 53. Or was it 52? Are you counting Alaska and Hawaii?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked