Do you know all 50 states?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Slayer_2:

Alaska and Hawaii or both counted. It's 50 states, and you could count them if your not sure.

Ah, well, I'd be surprised if an average American could list how many provinces Canada has.[/quote]
Let's see off of the top of my head; there is British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Foundland, Prince Edward Islands, and Quebec. I might be missing some.
It helps that my Dad and my mom's family are from Canada. >.>

Also I can fill in most if not all the countries in Asia, Latin America, North America, and Europe on a map--would be able to do Africa but I hate learning Africa's countries because that region is so fast changing that one day there could be more or less countries than the next.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. >.<

I got a few (3) wrong, which I guess is slightly bad since it is my country and I have been to every state.

On the other hand it's been a long time since I really cared about which perfect square was Colorado, so if I picked the wrong one not too big a deal. I mean I knew the shape and general area, and would have been fine given a map with names.

Mr.PlanetEater:

Slayer_2:

Alaska and Hawaii or both counted. It's 50 states, and you could count them if your not sure.

Ah, well, I'd be surprised if an average American could list how many provinces Canada has.

Let's see off of the top of my head; there is British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Foundland, Prince Edward Islands, and Quebec. I might be missing some.
It helps that my Dad and my mom's family are from Canada. >.>

Also I can fill in most if not all the countries in Asia, Latin America, North America, and Europe on a map--would be able to do Africa but I hate learning Africa's countries because that region is so fast changing that one day there could be more or less countries than the next.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. >.<[/quote] Not bad, you missed Nova Scotia and New Brunswick the first time around, ahahaha, and the territories are Nunavut, Yukon, and NWT (North West Territories). Kinda confusing how we have the two different names for them. In the US all I know off the top of my head is Washington, Oregon, California, New York, North/South Dakota, Hawaii, Alaska, Michigan, North/South Carolina maybe a few others I forget. But list them all? Yeah right. As for the rest of the world, I'm pretty screwed, I can list a lot of countries, but states/provinces in them? Nope. Some of them I know the capitals, but that's as far as I immerse myself in geography.

Well, i got only 69%, but i'm not american so i guess it's not so bad...

I got 100%.

Well, there's New York and New Jersey.... And, uh, the one that grows potatoes...

I got like 10%, and of them, the only ones i knew were Hawii and Alaska... I thought washington was in east US, but i was wrong, so very wrong...

0% as a Non-American.

Yeah :/

Foxbat Flyer:
I got like 10%, and of them, the only ones i knew were Hawii and Alaska... I thought washington was in east US, but i was wrong, so very wrong...

Your probably thinking of Washington DC which (I believe) is located in Virginia which is located east.

tehpiemaker:
Snip

Your Score:

20%

I AM COOLER! :D

demoman_chaos:
Yes, due to a song they made us sing many many many many many many times back in school.

I am certain not many on here will fail that, but I bet at least half the people you see on the streets would fail.

Fifty nifty United States,
From thirteen original colonies...

Though it was amusing/brain-atrophying to observe slut icon Snookie recently being unable to identify what a "Montana" was in a recent interview, I don't think that something as simple as naming all 50 states is a very good litmus test of intelligence, or even knowledge (and confusing the two is dangerous).

Irridium:
I know all 50 states AND capitols because I watched Animaniacs as a kid.

Also US presidents and nations of the world.

And let us not forget the parts of the brain, and the nations that belong to the United Nations. :)

I had some trouble remembering the ones east of the Mississippi River at first, but taking it slow I got 100%. West of the Mississippi is easier.

Australian here, I got 57%. Given that all I know about America comes from the news and TV I think I did OK. If it were just naming them I would have gone better. I lost a lot of marks by clicking an adjacent state first try.

It's kind of worrying that there are several Australians that can't name all six of the states.

I could name most, if not all, but I don't know where each one is.

99%. Fucking Indiana-Illinois confusion...gets me every time

Even Obama doesn't know the states... xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrsBKGpwi58

69% or as I suspected, embarrassingly bad. Honestly, the moment you can explain to me why that is useful to me at all beyond cultural capital then maybe I'll care. For now I just look at this as a silly thing I should know but don't, like who the speaker of the house is.

I did back in the day. There was a song I had to learn in middle school. I haven't needed that knowledge in a long time so its gone.

To me what matters is whether or not someone can recognize a name as that of a state and know the general location of said state. This is assuming they live in the US. If they are from a different country then its understandable if they get it wrong.

Same with countries. I don't care if you know exactly where each country is but you should be able to recognize most of the names and know the general location, at least by continent.

Gas, Liquid, Solid...

Shit, I'm lost.

OK, let's try it:

-Alaska
-Hawaii
-Washington
-Oregon
-California
-Idaho
-Iowa
-Minnesota
-Wisconsin
-Michigan

That's 10.

-Illinois
-New Hampshire
-Vermont
-New York
-Rhode Island
-New Jersey
-Tennesse
-Kentucky
-Nantucket
-Louisianna

That's 20.

-Georgia
-Florida
-Virginia
-West Virginia
-Nebraska
-North Dekota
-South Dekota
-Ohio
-Delaware
-Maryland

That's 30 (getting tough).

-Texas
-Arizona
-Nevada
-Alabama
-Colorado
-Indiana
-Pennsylvania
-Massachusets
-New England
-North Carolina

40 (don't think I'm gonna make it).

-South Carolina
-Oklahoma
-Freemont

Well, I've got the District of Columbia as a secret weapon, but apart from that I can only get to 41. I had New England and Freemont incorrect.

I missed:

-Maine
-New Mexico
-Connecticut
-Wyoming
-Arkansas
-Missisipi
-Utah
-Missouri
-Kansas

(Although, to be fair, if you had given me Arkansas, I'd have gotten Kansas and if you'd have given me Missisipi, I'd have gotten Missouri.)

Oh well, it was fun trying.

Edit: Only got 40. Discovered Nantucket isn't a state and that I was missing Montana.

I'm an Australian and I can get all 50...with some time and effort. I used to play a game with a mate where when we were in boring lectures where you'd each take turns to write a state and if you couldn't name one you passed. Once someone got 26 you won. It could get quite heated and so it wasn't unusual to see someone write "Vermont, Motherfucker!"

Lol, I only read the title and posted and only learned afterwards that this was about an actual quiz! XD
Anyway, took and I got 99%. :( (Mixed up Illinois and Indiana [damn "i"s!].)

As answear to the capitols of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland.
Norway: Oslo
Sweden: Stockholm
Denmark: Copenhagen (KÝbenhavn in Danish)
Finland: Helsinki

zehydra:

GraveeKing:
I probably know a few off the top of my head but I really don't care to bother to learn, I never plan to go there. I've plenty of Americans about 'Bristol' and 'Somerset' and they have no idea where - or even what they are in England. Why should I bother doing the same for them?
So no. I don't know 50 states.

Yep. Makes sense.

I indeed know neither where Bristol and Somerset are, and whether or not they are towns, cities, etc...

Being fair, it's not exactly the most renowned place, Somerset is a 'county' south-west no idea if you Americans have them, and Bristol is quite a big city there.
But well - now you know one more useless bit of information :D

GraveeKing:

zehydra:

GraveeKing:
I probably know a few off the top of my head but I really don't care to bother to learn, I never plan to go there. I've plenty of Americans about 'Bristol' and 'Somerset' and they have no idea where - or even what they are in England. Why should I bother doing the same for them?
So no. I don't know 50 states.

Yep. Makes sense.

I indeed know neither where Bristol and Somerset are, and whether or not they are towns, cities, etc...

Being fair, it's not exactly the most renowned place, Somerset is a 'county' south-west no idea if you Americans have them, and Bristol is quite a big city there.
But well - now you know one more useless bit of information :D

States are divided into counties in the US. (most anyway. there are also townships and parishes in a few states instead)

As a foreigner I do know a few big states but all 50? Hell no

I know the names of all of them but there's a few states I tend to forget the location of. Got 89%.

Not American, for what it's worth.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked