Seattle superhero Phoenix Jones Arrested for Assult

Early Sunday morning, Seattle superhero Phoenix Jones was arrested for assault. Jones (or one of his associates) wrote on his facebook wall that he wouldn't "ever assault or hurt another person if they were not causing harm to another human being". He also released a video (albeit a rather shaky one) of the incident.

The Seattle PD released a statement saying "Just because he's dressed up in costume, it doesn't mean he's in special consideration or above the law. You can't go around pepper spraying people because you think they are fighting,"

From what I saw in the video, I think that the fight was winding down and he shouldn't have gotten involved in the way he did. I do think that the cops are trying to win a symbolic victory by arresting him, they really don't want a costumed vigilant wandering the streets at night. What do you think?

News link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/11/seattle-superhero-phoenix-jones-arrested

edit, double post

Yessss. With Phoenix Jones out of the way, no one will stop me from stealing the precious Ruby of Vene- er I mean people shouldn't be vigilantes. They could seriously hurt themselves or other people, including that dashingly handsome jewel thief the Seattle PD has yet to catch.

The video length is 13:37...

Anyway...fuck yeah, superheroes with body armour run from attacking girls.

I don't know where I stand on this. Did this guy start doing this before or after he saw Kick-Ass?

Don't superheroes need some sort of.... I don't know... superpower?

Whatever the opposite of surprised is, I'm that.

cool, and enjoyable for a geek perspective and I would like for it to continue for my own sick enjoyment, and geek satisfaction. It doesn't work and he should really stop, for the safety of others and himself... but he is a kick ass esc super hero, so I don't want him to stop :D

DeadlyYellow:

Unless you're referring to the power of money, Batman would like a word with you :P

But seriously, ever since films like Kick-Ass, Defendor and Super have come out, costumed vigilantism seems much higher in the U.S.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Without the costume all they'd be is someone who runs into fights and possibly hurts someone.

If I saw a mall riot and I ran in and just started punching people to get them to stop, I'd expect to be arrested for such behavior. I know I'll get jeered for this, but the police were in the right on this one.

It's funny how the cops sound like comic book cops. 'That damn vigilante thinks he's above the law.'

Strain42:

DeadlyYellow:

Unless you're referring to the power of money, Batman would like a word with you :P

Depends on the iteration. A standard guy with a variety of gadgets is not a superhero. Maybe Beyond, where the costume also works to enhance the strength and reflexes of the wearer, but not the standard suit.

In others Batman's only real power is his extraordinary genius, which is often downplayed to avert fan upheaval.

Ah that the things with superheroes, they will rise and they wil fall. Not sure if this will be enough to tarnish him unless they forbid him from acting as a vigilante by law.

Good, we don't want to promote that type of behavior.

Palademon:

I don't know where I stand on this. Did this guy start doing this before or after he saw Kick-Ass?

I know he started sometime last year, so likely he saw Kick-ass and it inspired him to a certain extent.

Now where's that Dark Knight quote about heroes...

For.I.Am.Mad:
It's funny how the cops sound like comic book cops. 'That damn vigilante thinks he's above the law.'

I agree. Guess the writers weren't too far from the truth.

You either die as the hero or live long enough to become the villain... er wait, he's not batman!

GrimTuesday:

Palademon:

I know he started sometime last year, so likely he saw Kick-ass and it inspired him to a certain extent.

Perhaps, but at least he isn't a skinny comic book nerd and has some body armor on. Also, he ran from the girl because he didn't view her as a threat and didn't want to hurt her. I read the article on this on MSN and he was quoted as having said "I don't touch girls" or something along those lines.

Frankly, it is better to let the police do their work, however I find it a little sad when people are quick to attack Phoenix Jones' character for what he is doing rather than view the situation as what it is. What I'm trying to say is that when people feel they need to act as a vigilante, then you know society has some problems with crime and injustice. There wouldn't be any vigilantes if there isn't a substantial amount of crime and corruption.

SilentCom:

GrimTuesday:

Palademon:

Perhaps, but at least he isn't a skinny comic book nerd and has some body armor on. Also, he ran from the girl because he didn't view her as a threat and didn't want to hurt her. I read the article on this on MSN and he was quoted as having said "I don't touch girls" or something along those lines.

Frankly, it is better to let the police do their work, however I find it a little sad when people are quick to attack Phoenix Jones' character for what he is doing rather than view the situation as what it is. What I'm trying to say is that when people feel they need to act as a vigilante, then you know society has some problems with crime and injustice. There wouldn't be any vigilantes if there isn't a substantial amount of crime and corruption.

I agree with you completly, that its sad that people are attacking his character like they are. I think that this is a man who genuinely seeks to help his community (and perhaps feed his ego a bit). I don't however think that this is a result of coruption on the part of the city of Seattle or the police department, mostly because what he is doing is pretty small potatos, things like stopping those he thinks are intoxicated from driving, stopping fights, and dealing with drug dealers, are all things that "good citizens" do, and its not like he doesn't work with the police, I'm pretty sure he or his group was calling the cops on the car that almost hit the guy.

Did he do the right thing? Yes. Most likely.

Unfortunately, it's most likely he'll be the one held responsible. They can't determine the nature of the fight or who is responsible without determining what started the fight. And that can't be done without an investigation, questioning all who was present, and ultimately spending a lot of money on something as simple as a fight.

Vigilantism, however, is illegal. There is video evidence of a man, armed with pepper spray, attempting to intervene in a crime situation. By his costume, the court could easily argue that he was prowling the streets looking for crime, and charge him with vigilantism, and assault (being that he got involved in a fight that didn't involve him).

The dude was in the right, and his actions seemed fine to me. However, I'm willing to bet that the law will at least fine him some amount of money, and then drop the case. Sucks, but its the way things work.

DeadlyYellow:

his is being a real life superhero

also vilglating taking the law into your own hand id illegal yes its your duty as a citizen to uphold the law but not to glorify it and make it a career unless your a cop of course but i do think pheionx jones is awesome

Why would you bump a year old thread and not include his most recent video? Here it is:

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here