Dutch Researcher Creates Virus That Could Wipe Out Over Half of The World's Population

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU MAKE THIS!?!

cyrogeist:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One of those is from the Daily Mail, the UK equal to Fox News, so one source down.

Huffington is a pretty pick muckraker too.

But if true, this virus will be sent to Virginia and will never be seen again. Too dangerous.

Wow, a lot of bile towards the Dutch in the comments of that first link. Are the Dutch actually hated by a lot of people or is that just the internet being the internet?

OT: Ok, it says the research was to see how much it would take for an existing virus to mutate enough to kill us all. Fair enough. But I'd agree that it may not be a good idea to tell anyone else how to do it intentionally.

Zombies, nothing but zombies! I get that sometimes Science leads to "Well why not" sort of things but this is Sci-Fi waiting to happen.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
But if true, this virus will be sent to Virginia and will never be seen again. Too dangerous.

The title is an incorrect summary. From the information in the Huffington article, it should be "Dutch Researcher Creates Virus that Could Wipe Out Half of the World's Population...of Ferrets". A little less tragic and whole lot smellier.

I can't help but think this is just some sort of promo for the new Mission Impossible movie.

Please, it's strength is obviously overestimate.

I mean, everyone remembers the "swine flu" incident, right?
Now does anybody remember what came before it.....no?

People always overestimate these things, and just because it's artificial doesn't mean it's any more effective than anything natural.

Besides, it's in a lab, and, despite what fiction tries to tell you, most scientists are actually competent.

cyrogeist:

Apparently, its to understand the bird flu more. So they could possibly be able to react properly to a pandemic, quarantine people and develop a vaccine.

Or they worship Nurgle.

cyrogeist:

If you read any of the articles, they explain that, and it's the same logic that's pretty much always used in this sort of thing.

Basically, this virus is a variation of a current virus. The current virus is quite deadly, but does not spread easily to humans. This raises concern that said virus could mutate on it's own, as is definitely possible, and become something that spreads easily to humans.

Rather than wait and see whether that happens naturally or not, and if it does, have to scramble to counter it. They developed such a thing themselves, and can now have a head start on being able to research ways to stop it without having to race against an already spreading infection.

Is it risky? Sure, but that risk is entirely limited to Hollywood doomsday scenarios involving unimaginable screwups from lab employees, or terrorist heists and such. This sort of research is nothing new, and is often considered worth this risk for the potential benefits of getting a head start on any outbreaks that might happen anyways.

There's also the fact that when something like this happens, it proves that it can be done, which means someone else could do it too. I'd prefer scientists in a dutch lab concerned with understanding and preventing outbreaks be the ones to do it first.

I could see how it would be worth creating. After all it wasn't so long ago people were scared of H1N1 (swine flu) and speaking as someone who actually had swine flu I can tell you it's far from fatal.

if a virus like H5N1 is this deadly and the virus is actually capable of mutating into something worse, at least we'd already know about it. Seems like a pretty valid study since it might prevent such a disease from being transmitted.

I say study it, figure out what you can and then destroy it. some things just don't need to be kept forever.

theheroofaction:
Please, it's strength is obviously overestimate.

I mean, everyone remembers the "swine flu" incident, right?
Now does anybody remember what came before it.....no?

People always overestimate these things, and just because it's artificial doesn't mean it's any more effective than anything natural.

Besides, it's in a lab, and, despite what fiction tries to tell you, most scientists are actually competent.

the worry over the swine flu was not what the flu already was, but what the flu could easily mutate into.
And THIS research shows that that little swine flu could easily fuck us all over with just a few mutations

-tho this research was actually done on the bird flu rather than the swine flu, but same idea, a few mutations, and we're screwed

All I have to say (and I hope you heed this advice well) is DO NOT TELL 4CHAN.

Seriously.

Edit: Shit, I had a mental lapse, thought you meant computer virus, don't trust links. Sorry.

tthor:
snip

Well, I guess that makes things a smidge different.
Still, the virus is in a lab, it exists for the sole purpose of helping prepare should a similar virus appear naturally.
All in all, it's probably better that it's there, and, assuming the most likely outcome, absolutely nothing has changed.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
One of those is from the Daily Mail, the UK equal to Fox News, so one source down.

one thing i've always wondered... why don't terrorist just attack a virus lab? Hell, even if they couldn't smuggle some of them out, just bombing the place might be enough to get a few of the viruses released into the general public

Nurgle is pleased. *Raises banner and makes peace sign.

everyone calm down. There are already bacteria and viruses out there that could wipe out half the worlds population, a lot of them, some of them even occurred naturally. One more won't make much of a difference.

I would also like to point out that not publishing the paper is kind of pointless. If it's only 5 mutations, and it was accomplished by two different groups independently, than it can't be that hard to do. If someone really wants to pull it off, they won't need this paper to do it.

tthor:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

one thing i've always wondered... why don't terrorist just attack a virus lab? Hell, even if they couldn't smuggle some of them out, just bombing the place might be enough to get a few of the viruses released into the general public

Read "The Hot Zone"

The CDC Class-5 Virus Control HQ in Reston, Virginia keep the most dangerous stuff almost a mile below the surface, with the toughest security known to man, and walls of steel-reinforced concrete built to withstand MULTIPLE nuclear blasts. The walls are almost 35 feet thick in some areas. A terrorist wouldn't be able to release one with a nuke, let alone an IED.

cyrogeist:

the short answer is... FOR SCIENCE!!!!

Yeah, if H5N1 ever naturally mutated to easily infect humans it would very quickly become a pandemic. Anyone in the US remember the scare over Swine Flu? This would be like that, except much, much worse.

Usually this would freak me out. But I accept this.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

tthor:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Read "The Hot Zone"

The CDC Class-5 Virus Control HQ in Reston, Virginia keep the most dangerous stuff almost a mile below the surface, with the toughest security known to man, and walls of steel-reinforced concrete built to withstand MULTIPLE nuclear blasts. The walls are almost 35 feet thick in some areas. A terrorist wouldn't be able to release one with a nuke, let alone an IED.

well, i feel so much safer now!

Wow, someone's been watching too many reruns of "Outbreak". What's next? The existence of the "Rage" virus is confirmed and it's infecting millions of monkeys in the Singapore Islands? Man people will do anything to sell newspapers anymore, or in this case get more hits on their website. :/

ChaosEternal:
Yeah, if H5N1 ever naturally mutated to easily infect humans it would very quickly become a pandemic. Anyone in the US remember the scare over Swine Flu? This would be like that, except much, much worse.

Or like the Flu Pandemic of 1918? That was some bad stuff.

CthulhuMessiah:
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2011/11/expert_unease_over_deadly_flu.php
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2066624/Anthrax-isnt-scary-compared-Man-flu-virus-potential-wipe-millions-created-warns-frightened-scientist.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-j-sylvester/dangerous-aquaintance_b_1115600.html?ref=world

Just thought you should know.

Of coarse this news would be given to us by the CthulhuMessiah.....

OT: If its just another version of the bird flu then there isn't much to be worried about..

SilentJay22:
Or like the Flu Pandemic of 1918? That was some bad stuff.

Gasp! Someone else who knows about the 1918 pandemic?! Today is a good day.

Seriously, though, it baffles me when people just laugh off the idea of the flu ever causing serious harm. 'Cause, you know, it kinda did already...

Well, what do you know? There are Bond Villains out there in the real world.

You can keep your death-flu virus. But the instant you develop the furry-virus, I will have to hunt you down and kill you.

Because some lines just should not be crossed.
...Tea?

why? why do people need to make these kinds of things?

This was a triumph...

Anyway, as people have said this research is deal with the potential problem of a mutated version of H5N1. Can't hope to react fast enough if it's a complete surprise. Makes sense.

Sooooooo, is this why the world ends in 2012?

Because somehow this got loose?

Just wondering.

The fact that this was made for the sake of research and could just as easily lead to new vaccinations as the opposite aside... something WILL get us not too far from now. If we can't fix population problems ourselves then Nature's gonna do it for us and if Nature does it for us it's NOT gonna be pretty. I say we should at least conduct research like this to better understand what we'd be up against.

Volf99:
why? why do people need to make these kinds of things?

Because we can, that's the best reason to do anything

Iggy Sent Me:
The fact that this was made for the sake of research and could just as easily lead to new vaccinations as the opposite aside... something WILL get us not too far from now. If we can't fix population problems ourselves then Nature's gonna do it for us and if Nature does it for us it's NOT gonna be pretty. I say we should at least conduct research like this to better understand what we'd be up against.

Oh, nature is going to and it will be horrible. It's already done it with the virus and the bacterium. My guess is it's going to bring in some horrible fungus that turns people into zombies

Aidinthel:
Wow, a lot of bile towards the Dutch in the comments of that first link. Are the Dutch actually hated by a lot of people or is that just the internet being the internet?

Someone made an extremely-deadly-to-the-point-of-being-catastrophic virus? LET'S GO INSULT THEM, THEIR FAMILY, AND THEIR COUNTRY. THAT CAN'T POSSIBLY TURN OUT BAD.

It's like in TV shows/movies where people throw things/insult super powered individuals. I mean...you deserve the horrible death that's coming to you if you lack the two braincells to rub together long enough to figure out that's a bad idea.

Bobbity:
Just want to add that this was created to show how the H1N1 disease might mutate into something far more deadly. Essentially, it was created so that we could be ready if it ever appeared.

Also, sorry for tempting a flamewar, but how can anyone look at the constant evolution of new pathogens - which is what this research was about - and still deny evolution? I mean, really.

God's design. Q.E.D, Bobbity. Q.E.D.

Edit: Also, God's testing our faith. Good thing we know where you stand.

Just want to add that this was created to show how the H1N1 disease might mutate into something far more deadly. Essentially, it was created so that we could be ready if it ever appeared.

Also, sorry for tempting a flamewar, but how can anyone look at the constant evolution of new pathogens - which is what this research was about - and still deny evolution? I mean, really.

Darkside360:

cyrogeist:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart

Awesome Points for knowing where that's from

Also Yeah, who the hell made this and WHY?!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked