Why is Misanthropy ok but racism taboo?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I think we can all agree that there are few attitudes as taboo in the modern age as racism. Nothing will lead quicker to total social ostricization than to let loose a few racist comments and slurs. We all hate those ignorant, hate filled fucks. My question is why doesn't this attitude carry over to misanthropes, those folks who hate all of humanity instead of just some particular segment? Misanthropes enjoy a much warmer cultural reception. He can be seen as charming and sympathetic, someone fed up with the bullshit of his species. Even at his worst, the general misanthrope is received better than a racist.

Why is this? Shouldn't it logically follow that misanthropes are worse people than racists if they do the racist's job and then some?

Edit: Alright, so everyone is saying that racists are hated more because they discriminate. I still don't see how that makes sense. What exactly is it thats so valuable about equality? Personally I think a man who is in general a kind and just person to everyone but members of a certain group is better than someone who is a dick to everyone.

That's a good point. My guess is that the racist discriminates against a specific group and while the misanthrope doesn't. All about discrimination.

Racism isn't taboo. It's perfectly normal and allowed, provided you're not white, and discriminating against white people.

Of course being white and discriminating someone, now that would indeed be a horrible crime.

Then again, misanthropy isn't taken very seriously, and hates on everyone, so nobody can feel offended.

Because Yatzee Croshaw is one of the most widely known internet misantrhopes and we love him.

What makes someone racist is that they treat people differently based on their skin colour. That is what is generally disliked about them, not some arbitrary measurement of the amount of hate they have for other people.

Also "misanthropes" annoy me a little, but I don't think they really mean what they say anyway. Anyone who really hated humanity altogether would almost certainly have committed suicide or something. At least that's how I see it.

It's because misanthropy isn't discriminatory - if you hate everyone then nobody gets left out. Plus the average misanthrope's justification for his/her position is typically a lot more logical than the average racist's.

Misanthropy is the general hatred a person has for humanity in general. That person is, more or less, human. Therefore, the hatred they feel is in some way a form of self-loathing.

The instinctive reaction for such a person tends more towards pity rather than reactionary scorn.

Misanthrops hate everyone equally. That doesnt have prejudice connected to it. Also you can just say they're a-holes and move on, where as racist comments are hurtful to some people.

Because the people you describe judge people on things they've actually done rather than the color of their skin/place they were born.

I guess.

Personally, I don't enjoy misanthropes, so that's just my theory.

I get your point, but I think taboo comes from the gravity attached, not the actual... "Thing" (?) Racism has caused a lot of death and misery. The only misanthrope I can think of that tried to actually kill the beings of his hatred is Sephiroth.

AD-Stu:
It's because misanthropy isn't discriminatory - if you hate everyone then nobody gets left out. Plus the average misanthrope's justification for his/her position is typically a lot more logical than the average racist's.

That's not true. Both come to their views through personal failure in life and feelings of overwhelming disappointment forming from that.

Chefodeath:
I think we can all agree that there are few attitudes as taboo in the modern age as racism. Nothing will lead quicker to total social ostricization than to let loose a few racist comments and slurs. We all hate those ignorant, hate filled fucks. My question is why doesn't this attitude carry over to misanthropes, those folks who hate all of humanity instead of just some particular segment? Misanthropes enjoy a much warmer cultural reception. He can be seen as charming and sympathetic, someone fed up with the bullshit of his species. Even at his worst, the general misanthrope is received better than a racist.

Why is this? Shouldn't it logically follow that misanthropes are worse people than racists if they do the racist's job and then some?

All the "misanthropes" you hear from over the internet are faking it. Always. They wouldn't hurt a fly. They're all just miserable or trying to sound cool and edgy.

Real Misanthropes, i.e. murderers, are usually dealt with pretty harshly through jail time, so I don't see how you got the idea that society thinks they're charming or sympathetic.

I've never seen this happening, ever time I've encountered someone acting like a misanthrope (Or just an anti-social twat) they've been more or less entirely regected by those around them.

kickyourass:
I've never seen this happening, ever time I've encountered someone acting like a misanthrope (Or just an anti-social twat) they've been more or less entirely regected by those around them.

Yeah, this too.

Because misanthropy does not discriminate

DailonCmann:
That's a good point. My guess is that the racist discriminates against a specific group and while the misanthrope doesn't. All about discrimination.

Exactly this. It's the discrimination that makes racists so loathsome, whereas a misanthrope simply holds equal disdain and disgust for everyone. At least, until you manage to worm your way into their heart, that is.

As something of a misanthrope myself, I will say this, (Though I won't say that this counts as speaking for ALL misanthropes in general: This is purely my misanthropic stance, someone elses may be completely different.) and it's that while I despise humanity as a whole, that's because people, as a group, tend to be ignorant and intolerant, prone to overreaction and jump to conclusions at a drop of the hat. A singular person however, I take as they are. They have to do something to deserve my ire first. However, that's just me.

Texas Joker 52:

As something of a misanthrope myself, I will say this, (Though I won't say that this counts as speaking for ALL misanthropes in general: This is purely my misanthropic stance, someone elses may be completely different.) and it's that while I despise humanity as a whole, that's because people, as a group, tend to be ignorant and intolerant, prone to overreaction and jump to conclusions at a drop of the hat. A singular person however, I take as they are. They have to do something to deserve my ire first. However, that's just me.

That, in a nutshell, is exactly what I think. Individuals can be awesome, but people always suck.

It's called equal opportunity.

Say there's a dude you know. This dude is really really nice to everybody and never has a bad word to say about anyone. However, he is always make a lot of really hilarious but pretty douchey comments to you in particular. Nobody else, just you. To everybody else, he's a gentleman and a scholar. You're constantly the butt of his jokes.

Obviously, you have a right to be offended. You're being singled out. He's being a dick.

Now there's another dude you know. He's sort of an asshole and he's constantly up in your jam, but he does it to everybody. Everywhere he goes, he's ribbing somebody. No one is free. He never lets anybody get away with a mistake without throwing out a little jibe about it and his douchery is all pretty evenly distributed.

Now, you can not really LIKE that dude, but getting offended over his crap is sort of being a little bit of a baby. It's not personal, it's not that he doesn't like you and he's singling you out. He does that with everybody. It's not offensive, it's just a personality quirk.

Speaking as a misanthropic, nihlistic autistic with bipolar depression and eating problems, the reason no-one calls me out on it is that I mostly keep it under wraps until I see something particularly stupid.

Because misanthropy doesnt single anyone out and make them feel bad, instead it just makes everyone (Bar other misanthropes) get sick of the misanthropes whiny shit, therefor leading to them having no friends, which leads to them hating people more, its a cycle people

Misanthropy...

Just don't look at society as a 'whole', otherwise it's hard NOT to find a reason to hate it.

There are uninformed people,there are assholes.
I'd like to think there are just as many educated people. You just don't take note of them for being reasonable, like you do a jackass for being a jackass.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore" pops into my head ATLEAST twice a week, but I'm not the 'I give up on humanity' Types. I just mumble about how rap and mainstream music suck, and listen to my hipster-esq punk rock.

It's just society. It's what's hot and hip at the time.

For example, sexism used to be bigger, but now people don't care as much. Now it's all about sexual preference. And racism of course.

The culture war rages on. Sooner or later, they'll think of some way for my type (white, heterosexual male) to be victims too. I wonder how that'll feel to have automatic moral high ground because of identity?

Ham_authority95:

Chefodeath:

All the "misanthropes" you hear from over the internet are faking it. Always. They wouldn't hurt a fly. They're all just miserable or trying to sound cool and edgy.

Real Misanthropes, i.e. murderers, are usually dealt with pretty harshly through jail time, so I don't see how you got the idea that society thinks they're charming or sympathetic.

the poster boy for the Misanthrope created that image, Heathecliffe from wuthering heights

Ham_authority95:

Chefodeath:

Pretty much this. Although I suspect some real misanthropes are just socially inept outcasts. Not that those are particularly charming or sympathetic.

Shadowstar38:
Misanthrops hate everyone equally. That doesnt have prejudice connected to it. Also you can just say they're a-holes and move on, where as racist comments are hurtful to some people.

Pretty much that. Also I believe this is another thread wherein people are going to confuse being misanthropic with being a fully fledged misanthrope, but I really don't care enough to get into the semantics, so I'm going to let the people have their 'doing it to seem edgy' platitudes.

Chefodeath:

Well at least the misanthrope hates everyone EQUALLY.

I guess.

maybe?

Because picking on one group of people or a few because they are different looks worse. There is is no prejudice in Misanthropy.

Chefodeath:

Weeeellllll, see, a misanthrope (assuming you mean the definition that indicates "all mankind" rather than "male gender") generally hates everyone equally.

Therein lies the rub.

Equally.

Its the hipster thing to do!

Example:

"What we need to do is engage in mining operations around the solar system-- mars, asteroids, etcetera."

"Ugnnnghnn so we can MESS UP another planet just as bad as this one? UGNNNNGHNNNGHN."

Racism isn't hate, it's believing another race is inferior. Misanthropy isn't like that.

thiosk:
"UGNNNNGHNNNGHN."

That's a surprisingly accurate representation of hipsters.

Chefodeath:

Good argument, I would have to say it is because of the self-loathing factor which eliminates the prosecution element from the equation.

With racists, we can see a definite victim being targeted unfairly. This could stem from some irrational hatred or be because of a justified reason to distrust a whole group of people, it does not really matter the reasons. There is a victim we can relate to, and that increases the emotional response for us. The fact that most racists attack their victims from a position of strength, be it as a group or only when they are armed and their target is not, only makes them more despicable to us as we view these actions as cowardly on top of the disgust.

The misanthropes on the other hand are attacking themselves just as much, if not more so, then the rest of society. As the target has gone from a definite victim with clear perimeters to some wide spread criteria that includes the attacker themselves, we have lost the emotional response as we no longer have a victim to pity. These people also seem less of a threat as they do not often lash out at others physically, most just want the kids to get off the damn lawn and shake a stick. When one of these Emo-want-to-be's do something physical they are likely to do so on even or poor footing, so you can kick their arse and justify their complex that society sucks.

Though hate to tell you this: Their right... humans are disgusting a race.

Ham_authority95:

I don't think the vast majority of murders out there are Misanthropes. They just hated that one person they killed very, very, very much. Those that kill with indiscriminate passion have always been proven to be mentally unstable, not misanthrope but down right voice in the head insane. I have a hard time fathoming one sane person who killed a whole bunch of people based on the theory that they just hated humanity.

Most murders do so for personal gain, be it emotional satisfaction, power or financial... they have reasons that do not involve a hatred of Humanity.

harmonic:
It's just society. It's what's hot and hip at the time.

For example, sexism used to be bigger, but now people don't care as much. Now it's all about sexual preference. And racism of course.

The culture war rages on. Sooner or later, they'll think of some way for my type (white, heterosexual male) to be victims too. I wonder how that'll feel to have automatic moral high ground because of identity?

It's surprisingly annoying to be honest. Both when the idiots repping you bitch about everything you're victimized by AND when the "victimizers" bitch about the "victims" claiming to be "victimized". It's no better from either side is what I'm saying

Ham_authority95:

Pretty much this. The self proclaimed "misanthropes" are just the types of people that keep a constant air of anger around them to seem like the rational few. Just egos at work. As for the ones on TV, they're just dicks for sake of comic relief.

I'd say racist are just seen as ignorant backwards idiots. You hate them for their attitude and beliefs. For the way they treat other people based on nothing but skin color.

A misanthrope hates everyone. Now, the ones that aren't currently serving life sentences or on death row are just dicks and probably miserable. You meet dick heads all the time. But letting them affect you is stupid. Better just to ignore them.

Plus racism has that sexy history to it. It's hard to ignore that mystique.
Please note that I don't actually find racism sexy.

I think a better question would be why aren't all prejudices treated equally.

It's not ok to be sexist or racist but it is ok to be homophobic? Not cool brah.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked