what do you think about circumcision?
People shouldn't do it at all
11.8% (207)
11.8% (207)
Parents shouldn't do it do their kids. Let them decide when they'er older.
52.9% (928)
52.9% (928)
It's the parents' choice.
17.3% (304)
17.3% (304)
I don't care.
17.2% (302)
17.2% (302)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do you think about circumcision?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

i was on another thread and a user posted a very negative comment about circumcision. I'm not gonna link to it, but he said parents shouldn't be allowed to circumcise their children and ones who do should be punished.

i'm circumcised and i can't imagine being uncircumcised, so i don't think it should be illegal. but what do you think?

(10 points says poll gets eaten)

-EDIT-

based on the angry replies i've been getting people seem to think that because i don't think it should be illegal, i must think everyone should be circumcised. i don't really give a shit. i'm not jewish, so i don't have any religious obligation, so i won't if i have a son. i was just curious to see what other people thought.

I voted the parent's choice, but what I really mean, is religious reasons. I really think you shouldn't circumcise, barring medical reasons, unless it's a religious reason. I just don't see a point to cutting off part of the dick for any non-religious reasons. Seems kinda weird.

"(10 points says poll gets eaten)" You, my friend, are out 10 points. I think I will use the points to buy a vineyard, out in the countryside.

Eh, to be honest if you never had a foreskin then you never really care that you never had it. I mean, I don't really see the point except for medical or religious reasons, but it's not really the end of the world.

Okay, how about this though. I'm circumcised, and I don't want to be. It's considered absolutely horrendous to circumcise a female, so why should it be any different to circumcise a male?

Yes, I understand physically, the two operations are very different. But my point is this: you are mutilating a child. Your child very well may not agree with your reasoning for that mutilation when it grows up. So don't cut your kid.

Why should it be anyone's choice but the kid's? It's not like it negatively effects anyone.

hashtag:
I voted the parent's choice, but what I really mean, is religious reasons. I really think you shouldn't circumcise, barring medical reasons, unless it's a religious reason. I just don't see a point to cutting off part of the dick for any non-religious reasons. Seems kinda weird.

Even if it is for religious purposes (especially if it is for religious purposes), that is a choice that an individual must have control of, not their parents. Your parents shouldn't decide whether to cut off part of your penis any more than decide your religion.

DarkRyter:

hashtag:

Even if it is for religious purposes (especially if it is for religious purposes), that is a choice that an individual must have control of, not their parents. Your parents shouldn't decide whether to cut off part of your penis any more than decide your religion.

Exactly. The doctors would freak out if after a child's birth, the parents wanted to cut off part of the baby's earlobe, or the tip of its nose. So why is a penis any more tolerable? Just because members of a widely-accepted religion do it is -not- a sufficient response.

Nope, I think it's horrible. Legal child abuse, and whether or not people have religious reasons to do it shouldn't even come into it.

If someone wants to have it done to themselves when they're old enough to decide, fine. If someone wants to forcibly and irreparably mutilate their child, that is not fine, and I don't care what their reasons are.

i can understand from a religious point of view of the parent, but until they get older i think the boy/man should decide.
Although...................it does have hygiene benefits and helps against certain infectious bacteria.

Edit: Also, sometimes during sex the foreskin can rip a little so that might be a reason for a man to decide to "snip snip" :P

HAh no points for YOU Sir!
anyway, circumcision is basically a mutilation of the body, which I utter disprove. I think it will only ever be acceptable for me if it's done for medical reasons. Not because some idiots believe in some outdated mumbo-jumbo and then condemn their offspring to have their winky disfigured. It's just not right! If babies could talk would they say: YEAH SURE CUT THAT OFF NOW! GREAT IDEA! I JuST GOT IT! No of course not besides the last part, I don't think anyone in their right mind would let knives or sharp pointy things near sensitive parts.

I think that it should be up to the individual when they're old enough to choose (say 16 or 18). I remember watching a clip of a debate online where one of the supporters of circumcision, when asked about the idea of leaving it up to the person at age 18, said "That's silly how many 18 year olds are going to volunteer to have their foreskin removed?" Which I found hilarious because that's exactly the point.

I'm uncircumcised and don't wish to be so. There are no real benefits to do so; just risks.

any chance someone could tell me what is bad about being circumcised? maybe it's just an american thing to be annoyed about it...(not meaning to cause trouble just there doesn't seem to be any debate about it here in europe)

TheRightToArmBears:
Eh, to be honest if you never had a foreskin then you never really care that you never had it. I mean, I don't really see the point except for medical or religious reasons, but it's not really the end of the world.

Circumcision very clearly hurts and discomforts babies (or anyone else who has it done) for a while after the operation. It might not quite be the end of the world, but I still think it is very wrong.

hashtag:

"-Because you can do what you otherwise couldn't if a daddy in the sky told you."

And that is what's wrong with religion.

It can cause problems (including infant death), it is to some degree irreversible and there's no bloody reason to do it. Should be the choice of the guy who's getting cut.

It should only be done for medical reasons. You have no right to decide to mutilate your newborn child, as far as I'm concerned.

If they want to get themselves circumcised when they grow up, that's fine.

You should not be making any irreversible decisions for your child. It's their life and their body. I never understood how this is considered ok. The hygiene excuse is just a cop out.

Oh dear god, this again?

This thread pops up every few months. I'll say the same thing I say every time. Circumcision is something that should be left in the hands of each individual.

I consider non-essential surgery without direct permission of the patient to be a violation of human rights.

It should only be done for medical reasons or because an adult wants to do it to themselves, not just because that's how the parents want it.

mbug:
i can understand from a religious point of view of the parent, but until they get older i think the boy/man should decide.
Although...................it does have hygiene benefits and helps against certain infectious bacteria.

It does, but simply washing your penis when you shower has the same effect. Circumcising a person for hygienic reasons is like using a jackhammer to put a nail in the wall for a painting. Furthermore, the hygienic advantage of the procedure comes much more into play once a man has reached puberty than when he is pre-pubescent. So if he thinks it's worth it at that stage in his life, let him decide.

lunncal:

TheRightToArmBears:

Circumcision very clearly hurts and discomforts babies (or anyone else who has it done) for a while after the operation. It might not quite be the end of the world, but I still think it is very wrong.

Well, I seem to have turned out fine (I hope). I can't say I remember, but there's no lasting harm at least.

mbug:
Also, sometimes during sex the foreskin can rip a little so that might be a reason for a man to decide to "snip snip" :P

I've cut my finger quite a few times, but I think amputation would be a bit extreme :)

That's happened to me, and the idea of doing it on purpose isn't that appealing.

It's not "uncircumcised". It's "not circumcised", that's the default. And no, I don't think boys should be circumcised when they're young, unless there's a real medical reason for it. Just go ask someone who's not cut, if he'd consider doing it to himself. I'm guessing he'll say no. So why would you do something to a kid that he would never do to himself if he was old enough to make the call.

I'm glad to live in a country where not cutting young boys is the norm.

Oh, by the way, this is one of those topics that's going to ensure a huge flamewar at some point. Just be prepared for that.

Circumcision has a lot of medical benefits, but again its the parents choice and later in life men can do it later, but i say circumcision should be done at infancy.

Meh. I'm circumcised, and I don't really care. "BUT YOU HAVE BETTER SEX IF YOU'RE UNCUT!" So? I can't miss what I never had. "BUT IT'S ABUSIVE AND SCARRING!" Please. I remember getting my dessert taken away with more fury and trauma than my circumcision.

Also, it's pretty easy to spot who's circumcised and who's not in this thread.

realist1990:
any chance someone could tell me what is bad about being circumcised? maybe it's just an american thing to be annoyed about it...(not meaning to cause trouble just there doesn't seem to be any debate about it here in europe)

There's not much of a debate in Europe over it because Europeans circumcise their children less. Simple as that.

TheRightToArmBears:

Well, I seem to have turned out fine (I hope). I can't say I remember, but there's no lasting harm at least.

But is that really enough reason for it?

I'm a woman so I wouldn't know the suffering of most North American males, but my answer is still no. If a man wants the procedure done, sure, but parents deciding for the baby? Hell no.

It's like those mothers who get their 3 year olds ear piercings. My parents let me decide when I was 11 and I'm damn grateful for it. Yes, your parents have some control over your life, but this kind of thing is permanent physical scarring. That should not be their decision to make.

mbug:

Edit: Also, sometimes during sex the foreskin can rip a little so that might be a reason for a man to decide to "snip snip" :P

I can was fine and im not cut.

Not infected by bacteria.

Your appendex can burst and kill you, it has no rel purpose now, remove it. YOu can lso break your arm, its best we autte.

It's unhygienic and along the same concepts as a forced marriage.

Why should your parents have control over what you do? They're there to guide you and teach you and give you an understanding, even influence your decisions; not make them for you.

For religious reasons - yeah it should be banned, just like halal or kosher meat should be banned. If a parent has you done as well they should be punished. I would've flipped a fucking table if I'd found out I was baptised as a toddler/baby, let alone have my genitals tampered with when they didn't need to be; especially when evolution put it there for a reason.

For medical reasons; I'd say it's okay to have it removed, if it saved you pain or illness.

Mallefunction:
It's like those mothers who get their 3 year olds ear piercings. My parents let me decide when I was 11 and I'm damn grateful for it. Yes, your parents have some control over your life, but this kind of thing is permanent physical scarring. That should not be their decision to make.

i was one of the unlucky 3 year olds who got my ears pierced :(

Parents choice. They have control over every other part of the baby's life, so why don't they have control over a cosmetic change (a very painful one to do at an older age) that the kid won't even remember.
As a kid gets older their parents get less and less control over their child's life but when the child is still a baby the parent has almost complete control in my opinion.

I'm circumsized, and I'm not any worse off than anyone else, and I don't care that doctors cut some of my skin off when I was too young to remember it.

Basically, there's no reason parents shouldn't be able to make the choice.

torzath:

TheRightToArmBears:

But is that really enough reason for it?

No idea. I guess there's the chance it could develop an infection or something. I'm not saying everyone should have it, but it's hardly a big deal. It's not like it's impaired me from doing anything that I would have done if I hadn't been circumcised.

What are the medical benefits?

DarkRyter:

Your parents shouldn't decide whether to cut off part of your penis any more than decide your religion.

Except that the majority of parents do decide their children's religion; by bringing them up in it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked