So, what do the Escapists think about this ring?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So Ladies and Gentlemen I've been looking for a Ring for...well, what are obvious reasons judging by the picture. In short, what do you all think about this ring, I like it and I'm pretty sure she will too, but I'd still like some other opinions.

Edit: On a related note. Asking on her Birthday next month, good idea or terrible idea?

It's simple, elegant, a timeless classic
"Yes, yes I will marry you!"

(Just hope for that and not the reply I gave my now husband when he proposed!)

Its pretty and that looks like it may be platinum. It all depends on the woman really. My wife loves diamonds. Namely the expensive pink ones and white gold. But she hates diamonds in rings because they get caught in everything.

If your unsure ask her friends, her mother, herself, etc. Research my friends, put your heart and soul into this mission because its one of the last missions of "the game".

It's white gold actually. I would have went with Silver, but I can't find any where I like the overall design and can still afford it.

Can't ask her Mother, her parents are not to know.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure she'll like it, I just need to be sure if this for instance isn't too classic. The hardest part of the research still needs to be done...I have no idea what her ring size is.

Simple, elegant, and classy as hell.

I always prefer simple jewelry. Busy rings are nasty rings.

Go for it, bro!

It's simple enough, not to my tastes exactly, but I'm sure she'll like it. Go for it...or whatever. Good luck, and remember, from that moment on...everything you do is wrong.

Meh, everything I do is already wrong ^^

I figure you know her better than we do, but it looks nice. Not my style or taste, but it's a nice, classic ring. :3

You're asking the internet for our opinion? Oh boy.

Honestly the ring look fine to me and it does look nice. I have no idea what she is like so I take your word on it that she will like it.

On a related note, what do you all think, her birthday is in less then a month, I was thinking of maybe, possibly, asking her on her birthday. However, she also has a presentation on the same day, so I don't know, maybe that would be too stressful? Or maybe it would be the exact opposite, a nice surprise after a hard day? How would you react to that? It's your birthday, you had a presentation you've been working on for about 3 months and you come home to your boyfriend who's cleaned and cooked a nice dinner for you, candlelight, wine, the works.

If she likes simple looking jewelry you can't go wrong with this one.

And about the birthday presentation thing: Just make her feel comfortable (wine helps) and pop the question when you think it's time (you still know her the best (I hope)).

putowtin:

Now I'm curious, what did you say to your now-husband when he proposed?

OP: Nice choice, mate! It's really beautiful (I'm a female and I like it, lol) and classic. I think it's a sweet idea that you'd propose on her bday because that makes it seem like you really love her and have thought a lot about the propose. Just don't go too overboard with it, too extravagant proposals don't seem to end up too well.

sanomaton:

putowtin:

Agreed. You can't just tease a story of such potential hilarity and then just walk away.

OT: Not a big jewelry guy here, but it looks nice. Its simplicity prevents it from looking tacky.

Nice ring. Way to man up and buy it yourself. I've seen men propose with an empty box or token ring and then choose a ring with the fiancee afterwards. That is the way of cowards. Good Luck!

I thought that this was spam after reading the title. Glad that it's not!

Anyways: It's a very nice ring. Nice job man!

Monoochrom:
On a related note, what do you all think, her birthday is in less then a month, I was thinking of maybe, possibly, asking her on her birthday. However, she also has a presentation on the same day, so I don't know, maybe that would be too stressful? Or maybe it would be the exact opposite, a nice surprise after a hard day? How would you react to that? It's your birthday, you had a presentation you've been working on for about 3 months and you come home to your boyfriend who's cleaned and cooked a nice dinner for you, candlelight, wine, the works.

Sorry dude, but I don't think we should comment on this.
We don't know her. Or you, or the whole situation.

You don't even know if she might think it's too stressful or the opposite.

Only you can judge her here.

Good luck though, can't imagine how nervous you have to be.

It looks like a nice classic ring that couldn't ever be wrong (unless your girlfriend is into the big shiny bling).

In regards to asking her on her Birthday, keep it post presentation, although the Graduate in me wants you to go to her presentation and propose to her, but that's the film guy in me. Best thing would be to make her a nice candle lit dinner. Propose at the end of dinner, otherwise you'll never get to eat the rest of the night.

sanomaton:

putowtin:

OP: Nice choice, mate! It's really beautiful (I'm a female and I like it, lol) and classic. I think it's a sweet idea that you'd propose on her bday because that makes it seem like you really love her and have thought a lot about the propose. Just don't go too overboard with it, too extravagant proposals don't seem to end up too well.

I don't know, I'm the romantic type, she probably won't be surprised, besides, I pretty much always cook anyway and a nice glass of red wine is something we do sometimes aswell...I figure aslong as I don't put my suit on, she won't immediantly know whats up. I just kind of hope that it wouldn't end up with the whole ordeal being too much for her after that presentation and everything.

I also hope that I don't end up sweating bullets...

I still have to talk to my parents about the whole thing, see what they think.

Simple and elegant. And damn it's classy. Go for it and good luck! ^-^

Although on a side-note, best to research to the max. :3

Ranorak:

Monoochrom:

Sorry dude, but I don't think we should comment on this.
We don't know her. Or you, or the whole situation.

You don't even know if she might think it's too stressful or the opposite.

Only you can judge her here.

Good luck though, can't imagine how nervous you have to be.

That's why I'm asking you fine people here, it could go either way, dependent on how the day itself is, which I can't foresee, that's why I'm asking, how would you all react to that? Would it just be more stress after a stressful day or would it brighten it up for YOU?

It's not about KNOWING, it's just pretty much just about how much confidence I should have in that idea or if I should start thinking of alternatives.

Anyway, just for knowledge, shes not a jewelry person and I also know she wouldn't want me to ask in front of a crowd or anything.

I was thinking what I would do is, talk to my boss beforehand obviously (she's cool) and arrange that I have off that day. I'd take care of all the preperations.

The perk of doing it on her birthday would be that I could really set things up very nicely because she wouldn't have any reason to initially think that it is about anything other then her birthday. So, basically, unless I go overboard, it would remain a surprise.

My biggest problem thus far is that, we live together in a relatively small apartment and neither of us have any friends around here, they all live farther away so it's difficult to talk about it to my friend without her being able to overhear it, infact, he was helping me look for rings online a few days ago and through coincidence, she wouldn't leave the room for about 10 minutesx, all the while his messages popping up an my desktop. And she's nosey, if I would have turned it off, she would have wanted to look why. That's why I'm asking here, I don't have a whole lot of other options where I know she couldn't find out. She is NOT going to look around here, I know that for sure.

Elegant and classic. Love the white gold. Bloody beautiful, good choice!

Ask New Years Eve!!! So romantic, screw birthdays! lol

michiehoward:

Too short notice. I don't actually have the ring yet. I can't order it because I don't know her ring size YET. I'm going to pull some Ninja shit in the next few days and measure it in her sleep.

Besides, we'll be at my parents house on new years eve, while they are awesome, I really don't want to steal everyones evening. Especially since some...let's say, relationship-pessimistics will be hanging around and will promptly berate us...and then I'd have to beat the crap out of someone, so, the timing would probably kind of suck.

sanomaton:

putowtin:

ultrachicken:

Agreed. You can't just tease a story of such potential hilarity and then just walk away.

Picture the scene, my boyfriend is in bed ill (turns out he made himself ill cause he thought I'd say no), I'm perched on the end of the bed, when he pulls out a ring and asks me to marry him. My reply, "of course I will you stupid bastard" then I didn't speak to him for an hour (shock!)

Monoochrom:

michiehoward:

Too short notice. I don't actually have the ring yet. I can't order it because I don't know her ring size YET. I'm going to pull some Ninja shit in the next few days and measure it in her sleep.

Be careful she's not one of these people whose fingers swell up at night.

I kid you not, it's something to do with fluid retention or hormones or something like that, but still it's a common enough phenomenon to be a top Google search result "Fingers swell...".

Perhaps you should try and devise an ingenious method of measuring her finger during the day... or at least be prepared for your Night Ninja Measurement to be a little off.

Monoochrom:
So Ladies and Gentlemen I've been looking for a Ring for...well, what are obvious reasons judging by the picture. In short, what do you all think about this ring, I like it and I'm pretty sure she will too, but I'd still like some other opinions.

Edit: On a related note. Asking on her Birthday next month, good idea or terrible idea?

It's a solid classic ring. I like the white gold instead of yellow gold, it actually makes the diamond sparkle brighter and cleaner. In terms of appearance, the most important question has already been answered, would SHE like it, and you seem to know.

Now the real question is, what do you know about the diamond? Settings are easy, but diamonds are not created equal. You really do get what you pay for with diamonds. Let me give you a little advice from my trip down "buy a stone" lane...

The most important factor in a round diamond is cut. Ideally, you want "Ideal" or "Excellent" cuts. This means the cut was done in such a way as to maximize the reflection of light back to the face of the diamond (giving it that sparkly effect)

The number two item is colour. With a nice white gold setting you don't want a yellowish diamond, so you want a D, E, or F colour. Anything below F may look "yellowish" in the white gold setting (well, because it IS yellowish).

J-G colours are all very nice in a yellow gold setting and frankly there isn't much point buying about G if you are going with yellow gold as a true white diamond will reflect the yellow fromt he gold.

If you can afford it, you want at least VSI (Very slightly Included 1 or 2). This means with the naked eye she can't see any inperfections in the stone. Higher grades show their worth under a jewlery eyepiece, but wants you hit VSI she (or her gfs) won't see anything with her own eyes which is all most people care about. SI1 and SI2 (slightly included) have small imperfections visible to the naked eye. That bugs some people, but doesn't bug others. This is where you can get some good deals though for a few minor spots or natural internal cracks. Don't go with "I" grades unless you can't afford better. You are better with a smaller stone in a higher clarity than an I.

Now if your budget is tight...don't stress about any of the above. The reality is that if she's the right girl she will jump at anything pretty that you buy for her and she won't expect a $5,000-30,000 ring if she knows you don't have a ton of money.

Good luck with the ring and popping the question :)

It looks expensive.

Really expensive.

So, go for it. Shes bound to put out.

Very nice ring, I bought a few myself & never had a bad reaction. The bday thing sounds pretty good to me just don't forget the flowers man, unless she hates flowers.....

The ring is too mainstream for me, but you probably got it right for your future spouse.

In our culture we have two set of rings, one for engagement and one for the actual wedding and the years of slavery afterwards. (Yes, slavery - Don't look at me like that, I just got dumped by fiancée - on the phone no less - and after five years of happiness)

So you can actually "experiment" with some engagement rings and chose the wedding ring together.

I don't know about the birthday, it's easier to remember for you, sure. But I rather pick some "unique" date, where it is least expected. Like 29.02.2012. That would be a nice date.

If it's white gold or silver you can easily increase or decrease the diameter (check the prices) but with palladium or platinum this might be pretty hard to do.

As others already mentioned, as soon as you asked that question you have lost and things just will go wrong. Embracing that truth is the safest route to a happy and lasting marriage.

putowtin:
[...]"of course I will you stupid bastard" [...]

That was quite romantic, I would have loved getting that response. I got the reply:
"Could you repeat the question please?" because she was overwhelmed and didn't quite get it at first...

So both you and she (probably at least) like it.
That covers the only two people that actually matter in the slighest.
Why exactly do you feel the need to ask?
It looks okay to me, but then I don't know anything about either of you.
Also, good luck I guess.

simply stylish, yeah go for it man... also birthday a good idea. makes all the fun and special stuff makes it seem like it's for her birthday and then boom you propose... although this is a double edged sword because then her birthday seems not as important because every birthday isn't going to have a proposal. if it were me though i'd make up some silly anniversary thing to justify it and say that if she asks.

That's really nice. It looks classy now and it will look classy 100 years from now. Very simple design that works to its benefit. I don't see what kind of problem anyone could have with that ring.

Lovely ring, Birthday idea is good, but isn't exactly original remember

Jamash:

Monoochrom:

michiehoward:

Be careful she's not one of these people whose fingers swell up at night.

I kid you not, it's something to do with fluid retention or hormones or something like that, but still it's a common enough phenomenon to be a top Google search result "Fingers swell...".

Perhaps you should try and devise an ingenious method of measuring her finger during the day... or at least be prepared for your Night Ninja Measurement to be a little off.

I figured I'd cross-reference it with a ring I bought her back when we met (it was just a lucky guess that it would fit, I never knew the actual size of it).

@SmashLovesTitanQuest

Würds mir darum gehen könnte ich auch einfach zu ner Nutte, da bekäme ich wesentlich mehr für den Preis :P

@ravensheart18

Thanks for the details, I seriously know nothing about this. I checked it out and the diamond is classified as ''very, very small inclusions''. Otherwise it's white, but it's only a small diamond, as I said further up, she isn't the flashy type, so it isn't a huge diamond.

@Blunderboy

I only plan on asking this question once in my life, it has to go over well, this is pretty much my ''Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit how do I NOT fuck this up!?''-Thread. Also, I just pretty much want to know if others like the ring or if I just don't have taste in jewelry. Oh and the whole thing with how to do it, because you never know, maybe it's just a entirely stupid idea.

@rayen020

Yeah, that's pretty much my idea. That way it remains a surprise, she won't walk in, see the setting and be like ''Ok, I know whats up.''. I can't say anything about a anniversary though, we just had that one last week. ^^

Looks good to me...., "She'll pretty much have to."

putowtin:

was it anything along the lines of "I'd sooner knee you in the balls?"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked