Reality Check: Female Archers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

As we know, female arches with too big boobs cannot operate a bow "without even smacking her across the chops every time she pull the string back*". What I am wondering, for the purpose of portraying more realistic looking females in a fantasy setting, where does the line go, how big breasts can a female archer have without it becoming a problem?

Note that I'm not looking for a solution for the big breast issue, I am perfectly aware there are ways. I am just want to know the maximum size a woman can have to use a bow.

*Paraphrased quote.

As we know, female arches with too big boobs cannot operate a bow "without even smacking her across the chops every time she pull the string back*". What I am wondering, for the purpose of portraying more realistic looking females in a fantasy setting, where does the line go, how big breasts can a female archer have without it becoming a problem?

Note that I'm not looking for a solution for the big breast issue, I am perfectly aware there are ways. I am just want to know the maximum size a woman can have to use a bow.

*Paraphrased quote.

I'm sure there are workarounds for ladies with big breasts, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how they use the bow and what sort of bow they're using. I think the only real way to tell is to simply build a model and try, or find a woman with breasts about those size and have her try the bow.

I have a friend who's reasonably well endowed and she has no problems at all. They would need to be unreasonably well endowed for it to be an issue, me thinks.

*if* they are an issue they get strapped down, if that doesn't work then there are many different kinds of bow. Stance, posture, grip can all be adjusted.

I've seen archers with very large breasts shoot perfectly fine. It's just practice, especially given a lot of fantasy archers will have been training their whole lifetime (so far) I don't see it as a problem.

Real-life female archers wear a leather patch across their chests for this very reason.

Their breasts would have to be, like, a pair of watermelons to make archery impossible.

Sports Bra. Anything to keep them out of the way. Or, a metal breastplate that doesn't have segmented tit armor.

That whole thing is just a myth, you can operate a Bow and arrow perfectly well with big breasts. QI did a question on it. I'll see if I can dig it up...

Be like the amazons of legend... cut off your breast to improve your accuracy!

Archery is a sport there are females who participate int his sport and I doubt if they are flat chested so I assume that modern science has already solved this issue.

Moreso than breasts, size and strength are paramount when using bows for combat. It puzzles me when I see a short, slight woman in video games use a bow effectively in combat, particularly against armoured opponents.

I'd imagine you'd have to change how you held a bow. But, being completely off limits to archery? Nah, they'd think of something.

Crossbows still exist, also.

Unless they become unrealistic, as in each breast has more mass than a small moon, there isn't really a limit. A woman with 36DDs in real life can easily handle a bow.

Didn't the amazons cut of one of their breasts (and isn't that actually bullshit, since any human has only one breast?) for archery? I think I read it sometimes.

There's propably someone who knows more about it.

Now, while I am a dude, I am also an archer for sport.
it really wouldn't be a problem.
good archers bring the bowstring pretty near to their face, generally a little to the side for safety reasons.
The v-shaped nature of a bowstring would make it so it wouldn't touch a woman's breasts unless they were the size of bowling balls.

And for the third time, be like the Amazonians and cut your breast off for accuracy!

Ok, I'm just gonna go ahead and throw this out there. I'm a female archer with size DD, and it's never really been an issue. It's not the most convenient thing, but unless you're leaning into the bow the wrong way, you probably won't end up with too many battle scars.

And even if you do, there are chest guards and the like that other people have already mentioned.

Batou667:
Real-life female archers wear a leather patch across their chests for this very reason.

Their breasts would have to be, like, a pair of watermelons to make archery impossible.

Screw bows. I want all female characters to be endowed like the sorceress from Dragon's Crown and just use Crossbows! Crossbows get no love!

Tornix:

*Paraphrased quote.

While I wouldn't call myself an archer as I don't really have the time to commit to the sport I do tend to watch it on TV when the world archery cup is on or whatever(ESPN3).

Anyways I have seen quite few women wear so sort of protective equipment on the shoulder of their bow arm that comes down over their chest effectively protecting the breast from being hit by their bow string when fired.

A quick Google search reveal this piece of equipment to be called, oddly enough, a chest guard and apparently it can be wore by both men and women.

link to pic, http://cache.jezebel.com/assets/images/jezebel/2008/08/archery081408.jpg

/thread

The Amazons cutting off one of their breasts thing was due to interpretations of the word "Amazon". "A" meaning without, and the rest sounding similar to words for "bread", "breasts" or "men".

So, the Amazons must have lived without men, cut off their breasts, and eaten turtles.

Twilight_guy:
Be like the amazons of legend... cut off your breast to improve your accuracy!

Archery is a sport there are females who participate int his sport and I doubt if they are flat chested so I assume that modern science has already solved this issue.

It's a shame that Wonder Woman never embraced that particular part of the Amazonian mythology.

There is no reason that large breasts would interfere with shooting a bow. The angle is wrong, the string doesn't really fall directly in front of the chest. I imagine that many female archers wear some kind of protection "just in case" but it shouldn't really prevent you from shooting.

Big boobs are a touchy (haaaaaaaaaaaaa) subject for me.

See, usually genitals completely un-serious everything for me. Like Dr. Manhattan, or this one badass demon warhorse statue I saw in Oklahoma. They just make things seem silly and embarrassing to me.

But I love boobs, I can't help myself. They're like big ol' pillows attached to something infinitely more beautiful than a bed.

I don't really consider them genitals either, they just help with the attractiveness part of "strong fantasy female leads" sure they're impractical as a leather condom, but at least they help me take the characters a bit more seriously.

Not that every girl has to be a 32 DD for me to like them, but I find it doesn't degrade either.

Maybe I've just become desensitized to it. I dunno.

P.S.

I used to be part of a theatrical sword group, and sometimes we'd incorporate bows into our combat practice.

One of our archers had a chest worth gawking at, and she managed by just holding the bow farther away from herself, and dealt with it.

spartan231490:
There is no reason that large breasts would interfere with shooting a bow. The angle is wrong, the string doesn't really fall directly in front of the chest. I imagine that many female archers wear some kind of protection "just in case" but it shouldn't really prevent you from shooting.

I concur with this statement.

Don't ask me how I know this, but partnering with girls in ballet is like telling a man with no legs to cross a battlefield strewn with mines that is constantly being bombarded with cluster nukes, but for your genitals. The solution is something called a "dance belt", basically a less protective, but more easily maneuverable-in jockstrap with some light padding for your dong. It's there "just in case" while keeping a girl on balance while she pirouettes she knees you where it's generally socially unacceptable to do so. You can sorta live without it, and plenty of male dancers have average - more than package sizes and can still operate just fine with it, without being in too much danger.

Watch Archery at the olypmics lots of those chicks have a bit more boobage than you'd think cuz their pecs are pushing them out.

The second best archer I've met was a female with a decent chest. So, yeah.

Well its just a game, and im sure devs would sacrafice realism for breasts. Maybe. I haven't really figured out the male thought process yet. I did archery once, so i can say that one's breats would have to be relativly large.

Lilani:
I'm sure there are workarounds for ladies with big breasts, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how they use the bow and what sort of bow they're using. I think the only real way to tell is to simply build a model and try, or find a woman with breasts about those size and have her try the bow.

right, if they're larger than a size b, use a crossbow from the hip. the cliche of every female hero having large breast is insulting, not just to the girls, but male games too, saying that all we care about the character is if they're hot, and we aren't interested unless they're attractive.

You can find everything on youtube.
Type like... "big boobed woman archer" or something and you'll defineatly get your answer.

I never had a problem when I tried archery but that was only for a few months. My cousin however has hit herself in the chest once (when she was new at it) and she dose archery all the time and is a D. It's not an issue with the angle you hold a bow at and you can strap breast down or use a chest guard anyway so unless your talking ridicules unnatural proportions its probably not going to cause problems.
Also the Amazon cutting off one breast thing is a stupid myth. They didn't.

It also does depend on the kind of bow. My stance shooting a Turkish bow is different from shooting an English Warbow.

thaluikhain:
The Amazons cutting off one of their breasts thing was due to interpretations of the word "Amazon". "A" meaning without, and the rest sounding similar to words for "bread", "breasts" or "men".

So, the Amazons must have lived without men, cut off their breasts, and eaten turtles.

The funny part is that some people still believe they existed and doing all that...

Batou667:

As an archer myself i can tell you that ive seen even MEN who are well toned (ie not fat but have muscles) with a need to wear a patch. Your stance and bow type (ie longbow, recurve or compound) will make a difference on if it will catch your chest when you shoot. Longbows are not fired anything like recurves, you rarely even take one to full draw in my experience so in these fantasy adventures i think the boobs are safe. Patches would be modern proceadure though, maybe the REALLY tight clothing they wear is for this reason.

This is genuinely one of my favourite topics ever... Boobs and Bows! Love it! Merry Christmas all!

On the other hand a freind of mine does archery, and shes a well-endowed female... She says she just wears a sports bra! So that's her tip!

Speaking as a (albeit male) archer, it would only be a problem if the woman had unusually large breasts. I've never known any women, some of which are well endowed, to have problems with archery on account of their breasts. If it was a problem, i would imagine such a woman would wear a sports bra or something.

Given that women in cheesy fantasy games do tend to have huge breasts i see were the OP is coming from...but bear in mind they are fantasy games. Given that such games may involve swinging swords twice the size of ones body or fighting against hordes of the undead, i think massive breasted women shooting bows is one of the smaller flights of fantasy these developers make.

Oh god am I the only one who remembers Yahtzee saying this? What have I become?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked