Critically Acclaimed Movies we Hate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Scarim Coral:
I guess I'm the first to say Avatar. Sure the 3D and the fantasy setting were good but the plot and the rest of it wasn't.

Beat me to it.
It really wasn't all that great, the plot was stupid.

Both Hangover movies

The laughs never came, I spent the entire time being overall disgusted and it was established early on "if something CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong, and in the worst possible way", eventually I was just waiting for when they'd finally just END.

No, not the story, we all agree that it sucked, but the visuals.
The visuals were terrible. I could feel the entire time that I was staring at a heavily modified green screen. It was horrible.

To be honest I've never been able to finish Titanic. It's not necessarily a bad film but I personally cannot stand it. I love Leo but I just can't stand that movie.

I'm not sure if it's critically acclaimed but Passion of the Christ, I am not a big fan of either. Not sure if it was the big hype surrounding the movie such as "Most Important Movie of All Time" but I didn't enjoy it. Quite frankly I caught myself laughing during all the torture scenes (Even though I am Catholic) it was just so uncomfortable to watch. I'm sure everyone hated me haha

Most critically acclaimed movies deserve their praise but there will always be those few that I will never understand. Mostly old films such as Gone With the Wind or Casa Blanca. Those kind of movies just bore me to death. Want a good movie? Watch Pulp Fiction, Biutiful, or Fight Club.

Game wise, I was never interested in Mass Effect until I actually played it and loved it. I still hate COD, it seems like the biggest waste of money and time on this gaming Earth. WoW is also complete trash. I'm not very attracted by Street Fighter games either, they just seem to scream "button masher central" and if you actually know all the combos, move to Korea. I'm a playstation owner and the only critically acclaimed xbox exclusive game that has ever seemed to live up to the hype was Left4Dead. Halo and Gears of War just don't seem to be as great as everyone says. Halo Reach was pretty good but Halo 3 was complete and utter garbage. Also, I would like to take the time to say that basically I hate all "multiplayer focused" games.

Darkmantle:

SpiderJerusalem:

Lord Kloo:
Inglorious Basturds, oh its a funny movie and easy to watch and generally good, but mostly its stupid Nazi bashing which just shows all the heroes to be as bad as if not worse than the actual Nazis..
This little quote generally sums up the movie:
'The moment before the bear jew smashes in the head of some Whermacht soldier for not giving away information,

"what did you get that medal for, huh, killing Jews?" German: "Bravery"

And with one word he completely destroys any reason for him then being bludgeoned to death..

On another note, I don't see why no originality makes a movie bad.. coping a great story and maybe changing something like setting can have good effects, Ie avatar taking a plot line similar to Pocahontas but with aliens and mech suits.. No one says Animal farm is a bad book because it only copies the situation found in the Russian revolution and the years after..

Woah, just woah, you use the one quote in the film to portray just how much you missed the point of the film - only to use it as some excuse to call the movie bad.

Again, people, just because you didn't understand something doesn't make the movie bad.

please enlighten us to the point of the film so that I may re evaluate my opinion on it, because otherwise I'm going to continue to think it was trash with a few good parts and nothing more. so please, enlighten me, I would love to know

Tarantino doesn't do heroes. There are bad people and worse people. That scene you used as an example just points out how much you missed the point of the story: neither side is any better than the other in this story. The Basterds are out for revenge and don't care a damn about the morality of the situation (then again, neither would the nazis), they're doing the guerilla warfare tactics, everything is fair game. When the German captain says he got the medal for bravery, it's to be interpreted as a "yes, I got it for fighting your side", Donnie acknowledges this, but really does not care - why should he?

It's a revenge story, not some moralistic hero yarn, and calling the movie bad because you disagree with the reason a single character is killed is ridiculous. Especially since the movie isn't concerned with Nazi bashing. Sure it veers into caricatures at times, but that's Tarantino for you, he'll go from subtle menace (the bar scene) to extremes (Hitler's portrayal) in just a single scene.

Scow2:
No Country for Old Men - Words cannot describe how shit that movie is.

Big plot hole - Why wasn't the villain shot when he threatened the store owner?

Which store owner? The terrified old man who could have been knocked over with a leaf?

Titanic sucked in my opinion. Its not a bad film as such its just....Meh I just cant stand it. It just doesn't seem to go anywhere and it feels massively over dramatised...I mean sure the boat is sinking but they still find a way to make it painfully over done. Obviously all in my opinion, Im no movie critic...Yet!

We should all start a club. "The Angry Snoots Film Critics"

Erja_Perttu:
I wasn't a fan of The Social Network. I still can't put my finger on what it was, it just bugged me to the point I didn't want to watch it.

I believe it was the lead actors insufferably smug face. That made me give up on it after seeing the trailer.

OT, I couldnt stand Zombieland - as well as being lazy and almost a little ashamed of itself, there was something else about that insufferable, smug movie that I didnt like...

Erja_Perttu:
I wasn't a fan of The Social Network. I still can't put my finger on what it was, it just bugged me to the point I didn't want to watch it.

I feel like It was probably the fact that the main character wasn't exactly a good guy. You didn't really want him to win. Personally I loved The Social Network, second best movie of 2010 besides 127 Hours.

There were no characters in that film. Only caricatures. Corporate idiot, military muscle man, etc.
And, for Christ's sake, unobtainium?
*Unobtainium*.

The hangover. Dear god I hated that movie and everything it stood for.

Titanic
Back To the Future (Sue me, I found it to be overrated)
Jaws (I am now hated by 80% of the general public)
Wall.e
Braveheart
The Big Lebowski

No, I do watch a lot of movies, Wall.e dragged on with unnecessary scenes, Titanic and Avatar were Shit
Braveheart was awful, boring and dragged on.
Back to the future and Jaws sucked. Their plots sucked, Back to the future had a lot of plot holes with time travel, and Jaws was just some guys trying to kill a shark.
The Big Lebowski was not funny and failed on every aspect.

Jaeke:
I just saw the new Mission Impossible movie... didn't like it at all.

The tomatometer is off the charts on that one. RT is usually credible but there are cases when it just flat out cant be trusted. M:I getting super-90% reviews is fishy as hell

Aliens.

I maintain that it utterly ruined what was so terrifying and beautiful about the first film. It reduced that lovely little monster to cannon fodder. Add to that the painful fashion in which Cameron attempts to squeeze the traditional family unit in there, and you've got yourself a major stinker.

Slumdog Millionaire too, which pretty much encompasses all that I dislike about cinema. Exoticist, reductionist, sensationalist rubbish.

Also, anything by Quentin Tarantino that isn't Jackie Brown. Jackie Brown is pretty decent. The rest of his work is just self-masturbatory nonsense.

The Godfather, the movie that some critics have given a perfect score. I just couldn't grasp it in any way and how absurdly long the movie is also didn't help.

Titanic. Will say it's quite overrated and that damn song from it makes up more than half the reason I don't like the movie.

MaxwellEdison:

There were no characters in that film. Only caricatures. Corporate idiot, military muscle man, etc.
*Unobtainium*.

You know, as trite and uninspired as Avatar might have been, Unobtainium wasn't its big mistake. I mean, it actually is a legitimate description of any given compound or property which is rare in quantity but vital for some particular purpose.

- It sounded utterly asinine as a spoken line though, I'll agree with that 100%.

Titanic only starts being interesting after the *boring* romance buildup stops and s**t starts getting real with the iceberg. Spoiler.

edit: Ooo! And Avatar! That movie SUCKED.

Forest Gump. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't watch over and over again like the kids at my school do.

LiquidGrape:

MaxwellEdison:

*Unobtainium*.

You know, as trite and uninspired as Avatar might have been, Unobtainium wasn't its big mistake. I mean, it actually is a legitimate description of any given compound or property which is rare in quantity but vital for some particular purpose.

- It sounded utterly asinine as a spoken line though, I'll agree with that 100%.

I defend my idea that it shouldn't be used. Unobtainium is never the actual name of the object - as it is in Avatar - but more of a slang term, a description, of said object.
I'm glad we agree it's asinine, either way :P

The Searchers.

I dont know why so many people love this movie and John Wayne so much. I just really don't see what makes it a great movie, its alright, its not bad...but its certainly not the best western ever made (a lot of people make it out to be). The entire time I was watching it I just found myself not interested in the characters or the story at all, which is amazing because a good bit of characters die in it. John Ford has made westerns that are so much more interesting, even WITH John Wayne like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

It certainly is not the best western ever made, its ok. The best western would have to be either The Good The Bad and The Ugly, or Once Upon A Time In The West, which are NOT overrated. If you say they are you have no taste.

Sorry, but when you name Inception and District 9 as your examples of critically acclaimed movies that suck, you lose my respect for you on this subject. Especially District 9, that brilliant work of well-executed science fiction.

OT: A Christmas Story, The Sandlot... basically any of those movies that amount to "kid(s) do random crap related to (insert subject matter here, ex. Christmas, baseball, etc.)." They're boring and pointless, and their stories never have any meaning or purpose. Can't stand them.

It also goes to "Oscar Bait." The King's Speech, Forrest Gump, Walk the Line... many films fall under this. Don't get me wrong, all three of my examples are at least good films, but I take issue with an award system that's so biased as to inspire filmmakers to make a movie not because they want to or it has meaning to them, but because the subject matter is likely to get it a spot in the Academy Awards.

2001: A Space Odyssey. I can see why it was revolutionary, but especially once I read up on the story and the novel that was written concurrently, I realized that Kubrick had absolutely no excuse for the story to make so little sense. Just a few extra lines could have made it all make sense, but no; classical music and pretty visuals are totally enough to hold it up. Then people can speculate about all the stuff the novel made clear and the movie could have easily answered. Intriguing movie, to say the least, but the complete incoherence of the plot just angered me more when I realized there was no good reason for it to be that way.

What the hell is 2001?

The fifth element. The fifth fucking element. I don't understand why everybody loves it so much. It's so goofy and stupid.

Also, The Lion King, and every other loved Disney film.

Up is overrated. It's good, but it's nothing special.

Star Wars--either trilogy. The second trilogy is awful for obvious reasons, but the original sucks purely because of Luke. Whiny, annoying teenage boy played by Mark Hamill.

Reservoir Dogs. First half was great. It went downhill after the torture scene.

All this hate towards Inception and The Dark Knight makes me want to punch a wall. Urgh.....

On topic, I didn't like Avatar. So there's that.

I just recently got into watching movies, and have watched 165 off the IMDB 250 list in the last 2 years. Never analyzed films as deeply as some have analyzed Citizen Kane here, but I do have my favorites. Off the 165 I've seen, I liked the most of it, loved a lot of it, was pretty meh about quite a few, but only 1 movie got a reaction of frustration, hatred and rage from me.
That movie is "Requiem for a Dream." Every Aronofski film for me suffers from the same problem - the characters are bland, boring, and the message is preachy and leaves little to no room for interpretation. This was the worst by far. Drugs are bad? Well, alright. Then the fridge started moving. I hated each and every character. I loved the music when I first heard it. Then I heard the theme a hundred times in the movie and started loathing it. I don't care about the visuals being good. If I want to see amazing camerawork, I'll go watch "The Fall." I don't care that the movie has a "message" - that message is about as noncontroversial and preachy as it gets. Going after game-shows and drugs? That's about the easiest targets there are. I only saw this movie once, forced myself to watch it to the end to see the part where the part the movie is so acclaimed for starts, and it never came. I feel the need to bash this movie every time someone brings it up or mentions good bad movies, and this thread made me vent yet again. -.- Stop encouraging that Aronofski guy please.

The Pinray:
Wow, seems like the people defending Citizen Kane are more often snobby, pretentious "geniuses". Interesting.

Anyway, I'll say Precious, though it's actually good if you treat it like a comedy.

Also, Avatar. But that seems like a majority opinion around here.

I'll give that a shot with Precious. It's on Netflix streaming so I should rouse myself up to watch it.

I had to go back a long ways to find a movie I thought truly crummy that won Oscar Best Picture. And the winner is.... "On Golden Pond." Hallmark wouldn't have made that a TV special. Others like Crash and Gladiator are over rated, but I like (not love) them fine.

The greatest movie I've never sat all the way through is "Gone with the Wind".

Some movies I love getting a lot of hate on this board;
Avatar: no it wasn't original, but it was a hoot. I like Cameron's stock characters.
Inception: I won't watch it again any time soon, but it was fun once around.
Godfather movies? When flipping through TV channels, if I come across either 1 or 2, I have to stop and watch. I love 'em that much.
Citizen Kane: not my all time favorite movie, but I love it. Very enjoyable, watchable flick, even by today's standards. I think it fast paced for the period.

On Star Wars, while I love the series, I have to admit overall, it was messed up. Check out www.cracked.com some time and do a search on their articles on Star Wars. Very funny. To paraphrase an example, "so, yeah, it's the 1970s, but still, Lucas going 'I know, we make Luke and Leia brother an sister, that's HOT!' What the hell was he thinking?"

mustaju:
... 1 movie got a reaction of frustration, hatred and rage from me.
That movie is "Requiem for a Dream." Every Aronofski film for me suffers from the same problem - the characters are bland, boring, and the message is preachy and leaves little to no room for interpretation.

I haven't watched Requiem yet, but cannot agree with you about Aronofski. His, "The Fountain" left TOO MUCH to interpretation. I believe he said something to the effect that it is up to the viewer to create a narrative, which pissed me off because, I'm paying him to do that!!!

The Towel Boy:
What the hell is 2001?

A sci fi flick came out around 1969 with, for the time, state of the art special effects. The movie posits that there is an extra terestrial intelligence that gave human evolution a nudge. It was directed by Stanley Kubric, who appears to have had a thing about the human condition, that we are little more than mechanical beings ourselves. By today's standards, the movie is inhumanely slow paced.

Hmmm...uh, Juno? I'unno, critics (maybe it's different in other places, but over here "film critic" generally equals "pretentious wank with their head up their own asshole") seemed to tongue-bathe it over here when it came out (These being the days before I went to the web for reviews of things). There's only a handful of movies that I'd say I hate, and it's one of them.

Boring, lifeless hipster garbage that couldn't be assed sticking to a tone or a straight plot.

I mean, my general philosophy is that a movie at least has to have me entertained (Hangover) or being so interested in what's going on that I've gotta see what happens next (Apocalypse Now), anything else is just dressing that won't really make or break me at least being nice to it.

Edit: Since the OP asked, I guess for books my reading slowed to a damn trickle during the past few years because of all the utterly shit books that were being pushed at my teenage demographic (your Artemis Fowls, your Alex Ryders. All of them in a nutshell are "Ooh, I'm all talented and sexy and genius-level smart for my age, but I have one or two slight flaws, I'm just like you"...words cannot describe how much I hate them, thankfully my starvation is now being cured by a steady and hungry diet of Stephen King). As for games...I know alot of people love it, and I could see why, but I just couldn't get into Mass Effect. I'unno, just wasn't what I was expecting, gave it a few good gos (I borrowed it twice from a friend you see), I wouldn't say I hate it but it's pretty much the only game where nothing in it really made me want to try and finish it.

Inglorious Basterds

I was just generally underwhelmed by it.

Also Crash, The Blind Side and The Help

All three of them had the same quality as a group of privileged white people sitting around taking turns trying to explain why THE OTHERS in the room are the ones who don't "get" racism- and that they truly understand the subject. Made enough of us white people feel good about ourselves, though, so boom, awards and recognition up the wazoo.

Philadelphia Tom Hanks was mediocre and they beat you over the head with their message.

Anything with Michael Cera. Including Scott Pilgrim.

Also Titanic, I remember being in elementary school when it came out and hearing about kids who saw it like 3 times in theaters. Only reason most people probably saw it was because you could see boob and be under 18.
That and the fact I worked at Wal-Mart a year and they had some kind of contract where they'd play My Heart Will Go On twice a day every fucking day. That and Hootie and the Blowfish (also suck).

Scarface
All Christian Bale Batmans
Pulp Fiction
Lord of the Rings
Transformers
Movies where british accents should not be happening...mainly war films

SpiderJerusalem:

Darkmantle:

SpiderJerusalem:

Woah, just woah, you use the one quote in the film to portray just how much you missed the point of the film - only to use it as some excuse to call the movie bad.

Again, people, just because you didn't understand something doesn't make the movie bad.

please enlighten us to the point of the film so that I may re evaluate my opinion on it, because otherwise I'm going to continue to think it was trash with a few good parts and nothing more. so please, enlighten me, I would love to know

Tarantino doesn't do heroes. There are bad people and worse people. That scene you used as an example just points out how much you missed the point of the story: neither side is any better than the other in this story. The Basterds are out for revenge and don't care a damn about the morality of the situation (then again, neither would the nazis), they're doing the guerilla warfare tactics, everything is fair game. When the German captain says he got the medal for bravery, it's to be interpreted as a "yes, I got it for fighting your side", Donnie acknowledges this, but really does not care - why should he?

It's a revenge story, not some moralistic hero yarn, and calling the movie bad because you disagree with the reason a single character is killed is ridiculous. Especially since the movie isn't concerned with Nazi bashing. Sure it veers into caricatures at times, but that's Tarantino for you, he'll go from subtle menace (the bar scene) to extremes (Hitler's portrayal) in just a single scene.

Scow2:
No Country for Old Men - Words cannot describe how shit that movie is.

Big plot hole - Why wasn't the villain shot when he threatened the store owner?

Which store owner? The terrified old man who could have been knocked over with a leaf?

I'm not the original poster first off. and secondly, that its and "grey and black" morality setting doesn't mean the movie doesn't suck and has no point. It's just empty. Is he saying that the jews were just as bad as the nazis? Is he trying to say no one is really good? what exactly is this movie trying to say or do?

Now I appreciate a good silly action movie, after all "even the wisest men appreciate silliness once in a while" but Inglorius Basterds looks to pretend that it has a point and is all pretentious and what not, but it's got nothing beneath the surface. I get that it's a revenge flick. I don't get why Tarantino wants to pretend that his script is deep when it's just trash, and I believe it fails at anything it seems to be trying to do. It's not a very good action movie, it's a terrible spy drama, it has no message (not that it has to have one), it's not a steller comedy, and I personally had major, major problems with how some of the shots were handled, like it was trying to show me something or tip me off to something that would be important later but never, ever comes up again in the movie. WHatwasthe point on zooming in on say astick of butter 50 times important? yes I get that shes a jew that escaped a dairy farm, but moron officer never catches her, so it was just random and useless.

and hell, if it's a parody, then it does a piss poor job at that too. You can't just copy exactly and call it a parody, if I didnt see the humor in it before, showing me the EXACT same thing in a bad movie isnt going to make me laugh now.

I CANNOT stand Avatar. What a massive overturn that's caused in the world of technology. Sure, it was visually impressive and took a decade to make - but the story was clichéd to hell and back and now the TV/Movie industry thinks "3D" is the way forward because of it.

No. Just, NO. 3D TV/Cinema is NOT the way forward.

3DTV, iMax 3D - it doesn't matter, it's all lies in my opinion. 3D is the perception that if I get up and move 20 degrees away from the centre of the TV, I can start seeing the sides of the image it's projecting. With this 3D crap that's getting forced down our consumerism throat for 500x the regular fee is "Illusion 3D". When I get up and move 5 degrees in either direction. WHAM - I get double vision. That's not 3D at all. It's crap, horrible, massively overpriced and a cheap magic trick.

By 2020 we'll all be watching HoloTV (The TRUE 3DTV) and laughing at how "3DTV" ever took off. Which, by the way, is being flooded with funds and prototype HoloTV's are already in development. Though they are colourless and small in a chunky box.

Second worst film would probably be District 9; you could see any future point in that Movie from a mile away. It was too easy as a film to watch - thus boring.

SurfinTaxt:
Personally, I can't stand it when the media consensus on very stupid movies is great.

To me, Inception is the biggest transgressor.
District 9 comes in at a close second.

Disclaimer; I absolutely loved Memento, and Nolan in general does right by me. Inception was just such a spicy stinking turd.

What critically lauded movies do you guys hate?

P.s. feel free to add in games, books, whatever

Star Wars was just ok, really no need to make a religion out of it.

Damn there's so many jaded people on the escapist. You take almost any of these movies back 20 years ago and people would be out on the street killing themselves out of pure amazement.

That being said I hate all of the old Star Trek episodes and movies. Why anyone would want to listen to the priceline negotiator repeat himself every freaking episode is beyond my meager understanding.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked