Critically Acclaimed Movies we Hate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

SurfinTaxt:

Marter:
The Hangover. One of the least funny comedies I've ever seen.
Atonement. Boring. Boring. Boring.
Zodiac. Was okay for the first half, but the second half, when all we do is follow Jake Gyllenhaal around town for 1.5 hours is not fun at all.

I totally forgot about the hangover. I know I shouldnt judge people on it but whenever someone tells me its their favorite comedy of all time (which happens a lot) I just cant take anything else they say seriously.

Whenever anyone says anything is their favorite comedy of all time and it isn't anchorman I just can't take anything else they say seriously.

Bang Kaboom Ferrell:
inception
the hang over

hate all of them mostly inception every says its a deep movie its not

You hate it because people say it is a deep movie. Not only is it a great movie in general, it is a lot deeper then most of the other movies we consider to be good.

Edit: shenanigans
Edit2: SHENANIGANS
Edit3: Wow I need to start using this preview thing

Marter:

Zodiac. Was okay for the first half, but the second half, when all we do is follow Jake Gyllenhaal around town for 1.5 hours is not fun at all.

I made the mistake of watching Zodiac in an environment where I couldn't turn the volume up too loud, so I missed half the dialogue to begin with. That, and the fact that barely anything happened for huge portions of the movie.

Inception. Another one where I missed a fair bit of the dialogue (I really need to start using subtitles . . .) so it was probably less intelligent and brilliant from my, sadly uninformed, perspective. That, and it came out just as I was writing a story for a writer's craft class about dreams, and how one can tell between dreams and reality, etc., the result of which was that every time I told somebody about what I was writing they would reply "Hey, isn't that kind of stealing from Inception?" So yeah, a bit of personal bias too.

Also, a lot of films from a pre-1970s time frame. They just don't click with me, sadly. It's usually superficial stuff, but it adds up and takes my attention away from the actual works being presented.

V for Vendetta
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Public Enemies

Hated them all.

I'm pretty sure asking the escapist to criticize something popular is like cheating or something.

James Cameron has a similar but different path to the mental illness could be termed the Lucas syndrome... the fallout from the Prometheus and other stuff will show. He gave use more good films than Lucas did though...but Lucas arts did branch into video games and that was awesome.

Bridesmaids. I went to see it in the theater because of all the positive buzz and left during the food poisoning scene. Gross out humor in excess like that just isn't funny. I left that movie and went to see Super 8, which I really liked at the time, but don't like it that much anymore (but it doesn't fit this topic since I don't hate the movie).

I've actually noticed that there are a lot more examples the other way around for me (movies that were critically reviled that I like).

- Batman Begins
- The Dark Knight
- The social network

SurfinTaxt:

To me, Inception is the biggest transgressor.

Inception would have been a better film with a different lead.

The problem was that every aspect of Inception was completely devoted to and in orbit of Leo DiCaprio and he just is no good at roles like this, he is utterly worthless at subtlety and this movie required rather a lot of that, quiet, subtle torment.

What DiCaprio delivers is two hours of angry hamster face.

(also the whole Bond ripoff in the snow bit was painful to watch.)

(also all of these people have the most boring dreamlives ever.)

Avatar. I seriously don't know why people like that movie so much.

Anything and everything that is Harry Potter. There are no words to convey the sheer boredom I felt while attempting to watch one of those movies. How this made a woman so wealthy she now owns a castle is impossible to fathom.

Peuter:
- Batman Begins
- The Dark Knight
- The social network

While I politely disagree with your first two choices I'll absolutely agree with you on The Social Network.

I like Brian Singer a lot, but this movie did absolutely nothing for me.

I made Facebook!
Also, I'm a bit of a twat.
roll credits.

xvbones:

What DiCaprio delivers is two hours of angry hamster face.

(also the whole Bond ripoff in the snow bit was painful to watch.)

(also all of these people have the most boring dreamlives ever.)

HAhahaha he does look like a hamster.

As for the dream sequences,
Its what I would imagine a lawyers lucid dream to be

I am Legend.
I despise this movie. Last good movie Will ever did was Independence Day. He's not meant to play a serious actor. He was good at his gig fifteen years ago, when it coincided with the "90's stupid virus", but he is not meant to play a scientist or anything other than a wisecracking good guy/lead for a PG13 crowd.

Anyways, here are my reasons:

- Miscast lead character. They wanted money with Will Smith in it.
- The vampires were just horrible looking. THIS is how they are meant to appear:

- Point of the book is to accept the vampiric creatures for what they were. The movie made it out to be a "Will Smith saved the world" motif instead of a different perspective towards "evil beings". The titles entire point becomes non-existent.
- Trying to shoehorn in every demographic into the movie. It was so laughable.

Arsen:
I am Legend.
I despise this movie. Last good movie Will ever did was Independence Day. He's not meant to play a serious actor. He was good at his gig fifteen years ago, when it coincided with the "90's stupid virus", but he is not meant to play a scientist or anything other than a wisecracking good guy/lead for a PG13 crowd.

- The vampires were just horrible looking. THIS is how they are meant to appear:

- Point of the book is to accept the vampiric creatures for what they were. The movie made it out to be a "Will Smith saved the world" motif instead of a different perspective towards "evil beings". The titles entire point becomes non-existent.

How could i forget this one. What a turd this was. You can bet your ass I wont be in line to see Men in black 3

SpiderJerusalem:

Capitano Segnaposto:

MaximumCrux:

Though I agree with your views on Mr Cruise, I must say I found your use of the term "fuckin' french cunt" inexcusably boorish.

When I talk 'bout things I despise with all fiber of my being, I will use expletives. Get used to it or ignore it.

Shouldn't you be more angry at marketing and yourself for not finding out what the movie is about first than at Tarantino for directing it? I mean, after all, all he is guilty of is delivering one of the best films of the decade that happened to be a thriller instead of a gung-ho-actioner.

It wasn't one of the best films of the decade, at all. It wasn't thrilling, it wasn't actiony, it was boring. BOOOOOORING. (Sorry, while I am against opinions as facts, this is one thing I will not back down from.)

I hate Quentin and his marketing department. Quentin for not making a decent movie since Resevior Dogs and the Marketing department for making me waste 20 bucks.

Capitano Segnaposto:

SpiderJerusalem:

Capitano Segnaposto:

When I talk 'bout things I despise with all fiber of my being, I will use expletives. Get used to it or ignore it.

Shouldn't you be more angry at marketing and yourself for not finding out what the movie is about first than at Tarantino for directing it? I mean, after all, all he is guilty of is delivering one of the best films of the decade that happened to be a thriller instead of a gung-ho-actioner.

It wasn't one of the best films of the decade, at all. It wasn't thrilling, it wasn't actiony, it was boring. BOOOOOORING. (Sorry, while I am against opinions as facts, this is one thing I will not back down from.)

I hate Quentin and his marketing department. Quentin for not making a decent movie since Resevior Dogs and the Marketing department for making me waste 20 bucks.

Are we talking about Inglourious basterds? The intro of that movie is tension personified. A great film

BiscuitTrouser:
I love scott pilgrim. The comics are fantastic. I read the extra stories online posted by the artist. I love the easy cosplay, i love the characters and the jokes and the humor.

I cant bring myself to like the movie. Its been sitting unopened in my room for like 2 years. Ive looked at it and been like "i love scott pilgrim" but i never actually watched it. I saw it in cinemas but i realised recently... i just dont like that movie. I think it missed all the depth and humor of the comics, the characters felt shallow and stupid, the deep emotional parts are skipped, the comics do a good job of being serious/funny from time to time but the movie kinda fails at the serious and the funny. I dont like that movie.

I think likewise. I can't say I was disappointed by the film, but the comic is infinitely better and Michael Cera does the worst Scott Pilgrim in history. I think that was the biggest problem by far. Michael Cera was just being his old, nerdy, loser self. He was not acting and for all intents and purposes he made the original plot irrelevant because there was a completely different protagonist. The film had other problems but generally it just couldn't do the comic justice.

On top of that, you have to add the fact that Brian Lee O'Malley himself decided to overhaul the whole story and dumb it down for film audiences. There's now a unwritten understanding in the movie industry that moviegoers are morons and cannot appreciate a good adaptation because it would be too complex and confusing. I guess to an extent, they must be right so now I avoid watching adaptations altogether.

SurfinTaxt:

Capitano Segnaposto:

SpiderJerusalem:

Are we talking about Inglourious basterds? The intro of that movie is tension personified. A great film

Yes, we are, and yes, it is. That and the amazing pub scene with the drinking game. Some amazing writing, acting and directing there.

Capitano Segnaposto:

SpiderJerusalem:

Capitano Segnaposto:

*looks at post*

*checks out age*

Oh... well, you'll grow out of it. Couple of years maybe, but eventually.

ubersyanyde:
Films I despise:
-Fargo
-No Country For Old Men
Both were so unbearably slow and tedious. I couldn't even bring myself to finish No Country.

Films I didn't really like:
-The Godfather
-Taxi Driver
-Star Wars (all of them)
-Pulp Fiction
Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction felt like they were trying to say something that wasn't there. As for the others they weren't anything special and don't deserve the praise they get.

Also, on a side note, I don't have a clue why 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is on the IMDB top 250. The film is complete arse compared to the book, which IMO wasn't brilliant either.

For reference my favourite films are:
1-Fight Club
2-The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy
3-Back to the Future
Monty Python and Austin Powers are worth a mention too.

Have you considered you just don't like slow-paced films?

Patrick Buck:
Transformers. Good lord. I have been told over and over how good it is. I watched it. It was Shockingly bad. And then I have been told I'm an idiot, or I didn't understand the plot.
The Plot. Of Transformers.

REALLY?!

1)Transformers is by no measure critically acclaimed.
2)Whoever recommended Transformers to you should be shot, or at the very least sterilized. Unless they are under thirteen in which case you probably should not have taken their advice.

I never liked The Departed. It seemed like it could have ended six times, or at least been shorter than it was, and so much of it seemed meaningless.

movie: everything tim burton related, except batman, its so overrated
game: call of duty and WoW
book: twilight but hey, who likes twilight anyway
series: game of thrones, the little i have seen it, looks so boring

Arsen:
I am Legend.

imagehttp://i2.listal.com/image/1017813/500full.jpgimage

Have you seen the alternate ending?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOWeyGX5Bgk&feature=related

It makes so much more sense (and IMO was much better than the ending they went with).

You could argue the alternate ending is more predictable, but the only reason for that is cause they were dropping hints and setting it up for nearly the whole damn film >.>

Its so disappointing cause you know most people wont see the alternate (original/proper) ending for the film.

Nah, man. I love movies. Do I think some movies are overrated? Sure. That doesn't mean I don't still find things that are fun and enjoyable or gloriously, entertainingly stupid about them.

I'm pretty sure most movies I dislike are nowhere near critically acclaimed in the first place. In fact, I'm more often the other way around. I tend to find I like movies that critics dismiss as being stupid and give zero stars just because of the genre it's in or because it isn't pretentious. I'm more likely to say a critically trashed movie was excellent and should be taken more seriously than it is.

The only ones I can think of that really pissed me off and that I can see absolutely no reason why they were so widely liked or taken seriously as movies in the first place are the two most undeserving Academy Award winners of the last fifteen years - Shakespeare in Love and Crash.

I can't even think of anything good to say about either of those movies.

I'm also really not a Tim Burton fan. I don't hate him (apart from his remakes; I do hate those) but I just don't enjoy anything he has his hands in, including his Batman movies. I just find his style and his sense of humour really grating, and it doesn't work for me at all.

Why do people keep going on about how Avatar is shit and doesn't deserve the recognition it has? Who has ever said Avatar was good? Is it critically acclaimed? Seriously.

I HATED Up. I thought it was unnecessarily sad in the beginning, and after that it was just another kid's movie. The one redeeming quality of that movie was Doug.

I am probably going to get lynched for this, but Star Wars.

They were OK, I wouldn't quite say I hate them, they just never drew me in. I never felt like they did a very good job of building a world. Given, I have only seen the original trilogy.

Titanic, which I only remembered because they're showing those 'bringing it back IN THREE DEE' trailers. Also Lost In Translation and Kill Bill. I didn't dislike KB as much as the other two, but people kept telling me how amazing it was and I just wasn't hugely impressed.

SckizoBoy:
Gladiator - if you know your classic swords 'n sandals movies, you'll know it was a knock-off of The Fall of the Roman Empire (chronological setting), Spartacus (gladiators, d'uh), and Ben Hur (revenge). Oh, how I despise Spielberg & Scott for that...

Enemy at the Gates - (excuse me) RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEEEEEEE...

Neither was particularly critically acclaimed. Yes, Gladiator won Best Picture (how I do not know) and got modest reviews, but Enemy at the Gates was pretty poorly reviewed, for good reason. Why do the Russians have English accents? RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEE.

Revolutionaryloser:

ubersyanyde:
Films I despise:
-Fargo
-No Country For Old Men
Both were so unbearably slow and tedious. I couldn't even bring myself to finish No Country.

Films I didn't really like:
-The Godfather
-Taxi Driver
-Star Wars (all of them)
-Pulp Fiction
Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction felt like they were trying to say something that wasn't there. As for the others they weren't anything special and don't deserve the praise they get.

Also, on a side note, I don't have a clue why 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is on the IMDB top 250. The film is complete arse compared to the book, which IMO wasn't brilliant either.

For reference my favourite films are:
1-Fight Club
2-The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy
3-Back to the Future
Monty Python and Austin Powers are worth a mention too.

Have you considered you just don't like slow-paced films?

I've only seen No Country while on lunch break at best buy (back when I worked there). That film had me by the balls every time I saw a piece of it.

But to each their own.

Similarly the scene where Will Smith goes into that building to rescue his dog is one of the most powerful scenes in film for me. HE really sells the terror of being alone. The rest of the film might not be great but that one scene is probably the best he's ever done.

While not really a film, I couldn't bear Firefly. I always hear about how great it is (particularly from this very site), so I watched the first episode on Netflix. It was like what would happen if Han Solo got his own TV show, and while I guess I could see why that would excite some, the only thing I liked about Han Solo was that he was played by Harrison Ford. Yes, I know that I'm running into a lions den covered in steak sauce by saying that on this very website, but I wanted to express my displeasure.
I would say something about Avatar, but it seems that about 30 people have already done so.

Xartyve2:

The Lion King - Mufasa and Simba were racist, entitled jerks

uhmm....what?

Care to explain this bit? What makes them racists 0_o

Arsen:
I am Legend.

I don't think I am Legend was a great film (for many of the reasons you mentioned), but I thought Will Smith's performance was actually really good.
Edit: I forgot to add the most infuriating part: the way the film injected all that Christian nonsense into the film at the end... completely obliterating the wonderful and dark irony of the novel's ending.

MaximumCrux:

Wereduck:
Honorable mention to Kane - it was a breakthrough in its time but so was the Model T Ford and nobody would consider driving one for practical purposes today. Watching Kane for entertainment today makes equally little sense.

Your analogy is somewhat suspect, would you care to explain exactly what you mean by this?

Sorry, I was in a rush before (lunch break) but I'll try to clarify:

I mean that Citizen Kane was innovative when it was made and changed the game for what came later, but everything it does well has been done vastly better since. Only a fool would drive a Model T today for any reason other than historical curiosity; judged by modern standards it's a death trap despite having laughable performance. In much the same way, Kane is dry and glacially slow even compared to the Star Wars prequels and accordingly, it should only be watched by people to appreciate it's role in the development of the medium. Regarded purely as a narrative it's awful and as a movie viewer (rather than a scholar) I wish I could get back the hours of my life I spent watching it.

Upon reflection, I suppose I'm being quite generous to Kane by comparing it to the Model T since there are other movies made around the same time which still work as entertainment in 2011 - I doubt it would even be legal to sell any of the Model T's contemporaries as a new car today.

Dfskelleton:
While not really a film, I couldn't bear Firefly. I always hear about how great it is (particularly from this very site), so I watched the first episode on Netflix. It was like what would happen if Han Solo got his own TV show, and while I guess I could see why that would excite some, the only thing I liked about Han Solo was that he was played by Harrison Ford. Yes, I know that I'm running into a lions den covered in steak sauce by saying that on this very website, but I wanted to express my displeasure.
I would say something about Avatar, but it seems that about 30 people have already done so.

I didn't care for the series that much myself but in all fairness, you should see the first episode of Babylon 5 before you say anything unflattering about Firefly. B5 is one of my all-time favorite series but the pilot was a mess.

Firefly definitely had its moments and the movie was extraordinary.

Captcha: "rovbec gene" What the hell is a rovbec gene and now that I apparently have it what does that mean for my children?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked