Do you want an American Live-Action remake of Akira?
Shut up and take my money!
2% (1)
2% (1)
I really want it to be good
16% (8)
16% (8)
I'm not really bothered either way
20% (10)
20% (10)
It's impossible for this film to be any good
62% (31)
62% (31)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Akira Live-Action. Your feelings.

In case you haven't heard the critically acclaimed and world reknowned manga and anime of Akira has been in development for some time down at Hollywood and things don't look great for it. I think a story as juicy as Akira's could be great subject matter for a big budget Hollywood movie.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115098-Live-Action-Akira-Shuts-Down
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115138-Akira-Might-Get-Re-Written-By-Dark-Knight-Scribe

Now there has been some talk of Jonathan Nolan steeping into rewriting the script. I think if he did give it a shot he really could save the film. Moviebob has a lot to say about the hypothetical film BTW.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9204-Advice-From-a-Fanboy-Akira

I back Moviebob 100% on this. What is most memorable about Akira isn't witty one-liners, pimping gear or cool bikes. Those were all things that worked well in a campish Japanese-oriented anime. What is very memorable, however is the story, which is crafted with great care and to this day constitutes a landmark in global culture. If there's one thing I'm sure Jonathan Nolan has a knack for, it's reimagining whole stories in a very grounded in reality, gritty tone. I think that's exactly the sort of remake Akira needs. It's also going to need to be totally self-coherent becasuse it won't have the advantage of serving as a "summary" to a massive written work and the Dark Knight series has had no trouble standing on it's own, never referencing events occurring outside of the films.

The potential, I think, is palpable. A dark, dystopian, post-war, future New York exemplified by a disfunctional education system, violent riots, gang wars, shady projects carried out by the US military and psychic powers gone out of control.

I know all this is just my fantasies and this project won't really get rescued unless somehow a visionary director picks it up and I don't see it happening to be honest.

In any case, I would really like to see what could be done with this masterpiece. Then again, in the best of circumstances, we'll probably be getting this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Akira will never work as an American remake simply because it is Japanese through and through. It was specifically made to be this way, down to the musical score in which Katsuhiro Otomo wanted zero western influences.

It would be like a Japanese remake of Forrest Gump. Maybe not the best example, but that too is a movie where the culture of its country of origin is so ingrained into every facet of it that to remake it in a foreign culture would totally nullify the entire spirit behind what made it so good.

I feel like it would have been disastrous, but I think there's also a bit of potential. Quite a bit of tweaking to the style and execution will have to happen of course--it's too 80s at times and too abstract in the end for the audience to feel entirely satisfied with it (I know I wasn't too satisfied). It is very Japanese, and if the creators want any hope of making the style a bit more universal they are going to have to have a good grasp on what makes it what it Japanese and how to make the overall feel and message carry through.

And my God, New York. I'm sick and tired of New York. In games, in movies, in everything. Leave the damn thing in Tokyo, or choose some other urban sector. Anything but New York. I've gotten to the point where I hate New York simply because it seems to be the epicenter of every local, worldwide, and galactic change that ever was, is, and shall ever be.

Lilani:
I feel like it would have been disastrous, but I think there's also a bit of potential. Quite a bit of tweaking to the style and execution will have to happen of course--it's too 80s at times and too abstract in the end for the audience to feel entirely satisfied with it (I know I wasn't too satisfied).

And my God, New York. I'm sick and tired of New York. In games, in movies, in everything. Leave the damn thing in Tokyo, or choose some other urban sector. Anything but New York. I've gotten to the point where I hate New York simply because it seems to be the epicenter of every local, worldwide, and galactic change that was, is, and shall ever be.

It's the same with every country really. Every cataclismic event in anime takes place in Tokyo. I'm from Spain and you can bet your ass every worldwide zombi outbreak starts in Madrid here. I can't really think of any other cosmopolitan city in US that would fit the story, that's all.

Casual Shinji:
Akira will never work as an American remake simply because it is Japanese through and through. It was specifically made to be this way, down to the musical score in which Katsuhiro Otomo wanted zero western influences.

It would be like a Japanese remake of Forrest Gump. Maybe not the best example, but that too is a movie where the culture of its country of origin is so ingrained into every facet of it that to remake it in a foreign culture would totally nullify the entire spirit behind what made it so good.

I find that observation odd. I don't really see anything particularly Japanese in Akira. Other than the choice in clothes, everything else is pretty unrelated to Japan. As for the musical score, that was some pretty eclectic shit and I'm sure they're not thinking of using that score anyway for the same reason they didn't use the Danny Elfman score in The Dark Knight.

All I see is an unnecessary remake of a movie. I expect this to go the way of the Speed Racer movie.

Revolutionaryloser:

I find that observation odd. I don't really see anything particularly Japanese in Akira. Other than the choice in clothes, everything else is pretty unrelated to Japan.

you don't see what's particularly Japanese about a city being rebuilt on the ashes of it's nuked predecessor?

To sum it up. Pointless.

I enjoyed Akira and seeing it Americanised is probably a bad idea.

GrandmaFunk:

Revolutionaryloser:

I find that observation odd. I don't really see anything particularly Japanese in Akira. Other than the choice in clothes, everything else is pretty unrelated to Japan.

you don't see what's particularly Japanese about a city being rebuilt on the ashes of it's nuked predecessor?

It wasn't nuked, for one thing.

a super important and totally relevant point. good job pointing it out.

If you can't see the parallels between what happened to Hiroshima/Nagasaki and the destruction of Tokyo in the movie, as well as the reconstructions that followed both, then I'm not going to bother with you.

In my rule of thumb is that you should never remake a film from a different country since it will never be successful (e.g. all the J-Horrors that got remade into US).

After sitting though Dragonball Evolution I'm almost certain this will never work.

This make far more sense if it was made in Japan. Or if they really have to make it, just give everything an American context and drop the name Akira from it.

If the rumor of it being dropped for good are true, I can breath a sigh of relief. Akira was one of the few anime movies I truely enjoyed, and I am strong in my opinion that anything live-action, whether or not American, would suck ass more than Mario Bros.

Scarim Coral:
In my rule of thumb is that you should never remake a film from a different country since it will never be successful (e.g. all the J-Horrors that got remade into US).

That's not necessarily true.
I thought The Ring was great, although I didn't see the original. And I liked The Grudge despite the fact that it had Sarah Mechelle Geller in it and that's saying something 'cause I HATE Sarah Mechelle Geller.

EDIT: As for Akira, I'll reserve judgement until I can see an official trailer.

My friend has a theory that the movie Chronicle was actually a rejected draft of an American Akira;

Thoughts?

Oh and after the travesty that was *shudders* Dragonball Evolution I think Hollywood should stay well enough away from adapting manga and anime.

Well, seeing how I don't really give a crap about Akira, I'm honestly looking forward to it. I'd just love to see how they'd fuck it up.

While I do agree that the original Akira is an excellent film with a great story, I don't really care if the new one is good or not, it doesn't really grab my attention right now but it might if it turns out to receive a lot of praise upon release. I'll just wait and see.

Asuka Soryu:
All I see is an unnecessary remake of a movie. I expect this to go the way of the Speed Racer movie.

I rather enjoyed the Speed Racer movie. It was...special. That being said, I am very glad hollywood's Akira project died, next thing you know they'd have wanted a live action adaptation of My Neighbor Totorro (starring Mike Myers as the wise cracking Totorro to thoroughly rape your childhood)

Hazy992:
My friend has a theory that the movie Chronicle was actually a rejected draft of an American Akira;

*youtube snip*

Thoughts?

Oh and after the travesty that was *shudders* Dragonball Evolution I think Hollywood should stay well enough away from adapting manga and anime.

Oh good, I'm not the only one that thought that. Its premise just seemed a little too familiar, if you know what I mean. (kid gets god like psychic powers and proceeds to go super villain)

Even though I didn't really like the original, I still think that an American remake is a stupid and borderline offensive idea.

Hope it never gets off the ground.

KeyMaster45:

Hazy992:

*youtube snip*

Thoughts?

Oh good, I'm not the only one that thought that. Its premise just seemed a little too familiar, if you know what I mean. (kid gets god like psychic powers and proceeds to go super villain)

Yeah he told me to go watch the trailer then told me what he thought of it. His idea made sense. Chronicle actually looks quite good.

This movie shouldn't be made. No live action film can do the story justice, I don't think you can get the right people needed to do it justice interested in it. More than likely, were going to see something that shames the memory of an anime/manga that we all enjoyed.

Mine would take place in Chicago, only because I love Chicago so much.
Akira would be renamed Adam.
Taking a cue from Moviebob, the cast of protagonists would be predominantly disaffected African American youths, being exploited and marginalized by the power structure around them.
It'd still take place in the future though, with Chicago decked out to look like the Walled City of Hong Kong, but more open and with more free ways.
The plot thread of planning the Olympics in the once devastated city would be kept, except that the city in this version would have been wrecked by an ecological catastrophe rather than an atom bomb.
The schools will be a mess because they were privatized.
There's a lot that's gone on in lower income neighborhoods that sounds a LOT like what happens to the kids in Akira.
"Thematically the work centres on the nature of youth to rebel against authority, control methods, community building and the transformation experienced in adolescent passage. The latter is best represented in the work by the morphing experienced by characters.[9]"

"Akira's central images, of characters aimlessly roaming the streets on motor bikes is seen to represent the futility of the quest for self-knowledge. The work also focuses on loss, with all characters in some form orphaned and having no sense of history. The landscapes depicted are ruinous, with old Tokyo represented only by a dark crater. "

Perhaps the dark crater would be represented by some leftover government buildings or a monument commemorating the hope for future of past generations. Maybe the main characters have deadbeat or absent dads?

I see a lot of potential in the IDEA of adapting Akira, using America's Social Problems and landscape. That's just not what they're going to do here...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked