12.4% (37)
MLP! Fluttershy. nuff said.
44.8% (134)
44.8% (134)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Adventure Time! vs. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

preamble:
I apologize if somebody already made this topic in response to MovieBobs' own confession. There hasn't really been any discussions about the awesome Adventure Time show which is a shame considering how many pony posts there still are. (note: i like MLP:FIM, but not as much as Adventure Time). I just wanted to get a feel of how many fans there are on the escapist.

...if you're brave enough to risk a flame war: which is better? Adventure Time or MLP? and why? If you want to play it safe just use the poll.

bonus (+5 internets): favorite episode?

I admit I haven't seen much of Adventure Time, but from what I watched I found it's humor to be a bit too random for my tastes. For me the most important thing about a tv show is having relatable characters and if you have that it almost doesn't matter what the actual story is.

Does the favorite episode question only apply to Adventure Time? Because my favorite episode of FiM is Dragonshy.

Oh great, a versus thread. These always go so well. /sarcasm

Anyway, I haven't seen much Adventure Time, but from what I can make out My Little Pony has more cohesive stories.

Well both are imaginative animated series that manage to understand what their target audience wants while still being able to be appreciated by other observers. They both have people behind them that care about their work and loves their fans. But, they still have different goals in mind when it comes to what they want to achieve. One wants to accentuate the good parts of their source material and fusing them with an interesting mythology. One wants to show the limits(or rather the lack of them) of animation by having only 2 constants: the main characters and the theme of adventure. In that way they are incomparable. But I will have to go with MLP. Why? Because I haven't seen much of Adventure Time. :|

P.S. Guys, please don't start a flame war. I beg of you.

They are both cartoons on television in their respective host channels. Neither is better than the other, as one is for a different demographic to the other. But that shouldn't be relevant, and it isn't. You may like one over the other, which is fine, you're allowed your opinions. Nothing more.

uneek:
Well both are imaginative animated series that manage to understand what their target audience wants while still being able to be appreciated by other observers. They both have people behind them that care about their work and loves their fans. But, they still have different goals in mind when it comes to what they want to achieve. One wants to accentuate the good parts of their source material and fusing them with an interesting mythology. One wants to show the limits(or rather the lack of them) of animation by having only 2 constants: the main characters and the theme of adventure. In that way they are incomparable. But I will have to go with MLP. Why? Because I haven't seen much of Adventure Time. :|

P.S. Guys, please don't start a flame war. I beg of you.

I agree in all of that. And yes I rather we don't have a flame war.

As most of you have already guessed I'm partial to Adventure Time - something about the boyish, ADD-ish, random nerd humor really gets me. Plus, Adventure Time tackles young love and intimacy...something MLP seems to stray away from, with the exception of Spike (the only developed male character), for whatever reason. If I were to guess its because the target audience are young impressionable girls..wouldn't want them pining over guys. I personally think it would be great to develop some love interests.

I digress..

Even with that its a toss up. What really makes Adventure Time stand out for me is prolly the music. Kudos to Rebecca Sugar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2bZSyXVxKg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk

P.S. you guys should totally see more Adventure Time. =D

I dislike them both very much.

There is no poll option for that.

You do know that Vs thread is frown upon on this site? This will proabably get locked.

Anyway while do watch both shows, I favour MLP:FiM more but really the two shows are competely different to each other so it can't really be compared.

Z of the Na'vi:

Sorry broski... There is an equal option. Which, in your case, could mean equally crappy. =)

aescuder:
Sorry broski... There is an equal option. Which, in your case, could mean equally crappy. =)

Hm...I see your point, good chap.

I'll go with that. ;)

What's Adventure Time? I keep hearing about it from various Internet sources...

This is a pretty difficult decision, since I've seen and loved both.

I'd have to say that, of the two, Adventure Time seems like the more generally fun and enjoyable show. It has a style of its own that feels unpretentious and inherently more benevolent(Even including the villains). For this, as a standalone deal, it is the better show.

However, My Little Pony: FIM is excellent for a different reason. The careful structure it has created, as well as the involvement from the show's developers, has created its own subculture and communities. This gives rise to an endless sea of fan-content, of widely varying intent and quality. Adventure Time is unlikely to ever develop this sort of meta-fandom to the same extent, due to the nature of the show itself (not necessarily a bad thing).

In a vacuum, Adventure Time is the superior show. When mixed with the internet and society, though, MLP has gone much further.

For this reason, I voted MLP. It's a bit apples and oranges in the end, though, and I understand why anyone would vote either way (or simply dislike both).

I vote MLP, mainly because I never saw, or to be honest, ever heard of Adventure Time.

aescuder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2bZSyXVxKg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk

The first one's not bad, but the second's not to my taste. Though since you mention it, I'd cite FiM's music as a major positive as well.

Both of those are sound-alikes for Broadway songs.

both are awesome but adventure time takes place in a post apocalyptic world! most people miss the references to the great mushroom war(nukes people nukes) and how there are random ruins in certain episodes, and finn is the only human left... think about it...

You have just unleashed something that could potentially destroy the world.

That being said, I'll admit I haven't watched enough of Adventure Time to make a proper opinion about it. But from what I've seen from some of the show's clips, it does look pretty good.

So obviously my choice is going to be pretty one sided and biased. (votes for MLP)

I kind of figured I had to represent (yo yo yo) Adventure Time because I know of FiM's dark looming presence in these forums.
FiM still holds the majority which I find a bit disturbing because I see Adventure Time's general humor as more oriented towards all ages or something, but whatever floats your children's cartoon boat.

Antitonic:
What's Adventure Time? I keep hearing about it from various Internet sources...

This.

OT: In terms of comedy and pure random- Adventure Time.

In terms of characters, music, and plot- Ponies.

Of course, why not Regular Show? That show's awesome. What, you disagree?

DoomyMcDoom:
both are awesome but adventure time takes place in a post apocalyptic world! most people miss the references to the great mushroom war(nukes people nukes) and how there are random ruins in certain episodes, and finn is the only human left... think about it...

I like to make the argument that FiM is also post-apocalyptic. A suspicious amount of pony technology is extremely impractical for anyone without hands, and then there's stuff like the horse-drawn train engine that just doesn't make sense. The ponies are clearly imitating an extinct human civilization.

Also, the fact that the environment is so messed up that the ponies have to change the seasons themselves is not indicative of a healthy world.

Adventure Time, because I don't watch MLP.

Anything John Dimaggio is in is great.

Adventure time, the Ice King makes me laugh even if his backstory is a tad sad

Adventure Time is great. It's random fun, set in a children's magic fun land version of a post apocalyptic world, that has an underlying vibe that something is very wrong with the world.

Adventure Time! Great, hilarious show.

Also, that Christmas episode was... haunting, to say the least.

Wrong.

"Regular Show" is not an option.

OT: I voted Adventure Time. Adventure Time is just the right blend of ridiculous that it becomes almost perfect. On the other hand, MLP: Friendship Is Magic is just ridiculous.

However, in all seriousness, Regular Show does deserve at least a small mention for being absolutely awesome while being ridiculous at the same time.

neonsword13-ops:

Of course, why not Regular Show? That show's awesome. What, you disagree?

I very much so disagree. I would much rather watch MLP that that. You are entitled to like it as much as you want, but I do not.

And Adventure Time is awesome. Although I don't catch that many of the newer episodes mostly because I don't watch TV that much any more.

I don't think they're the kind of shows I'd really compare.

aescuder:
preamble:
I apologize if somebody already made this topic in response to MovieBobs' own confession. There hasn't really been any discussions about the awesome Adventure Time show which is a shame considering how many pony posts there still are. (note: i like MLP:FIM, but not as much as Adventure Time). I just wanted to get a feel of how many fans there are on the escapist.

...if you're brave enough to risk a flame war: which is better? Adventure Time or MLP? and why? If you want to play it safe just use the poll.

bonus (+5 internets): favorite episode?

I prefer them both. I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but I was watching Adventure Time before I even discovered what a Brony was.

So they both have an equal love in my heart.

Adventure Time Favorite Episodes:

Chamber of Frozen Blades
and
Holly Jolly Secrets Part II

This episode was so depressing, but I loved how it gave an insight to why the Ice King is the way he is. It kinda tugged at my heartstrings a bit.
Chamber of Frozen blades was just one of the funniest ones in my opinion what with its parody of The 36 Chambers.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Favorite Episodes:

S1 E19 - A Dog and Pony Show
S1 E15 - Feeling Pinkie Keen
S2 E1&2 - Return of Harmony
S2 E6 - The Sisterhooves Social

Those episodes were just so damn fun for me, because of Rarity and Pinkie Pie.
Plus the Minecraft Joke in Return of Harmony made me fall in love with the series.

V8 Ninja:
Wrong.

"Regular Show" is not an option.

OT: I voted Adventure Time. Adventure Time is just the right blend of ridiculous that it becomes almost perfect. On the other hand, MLP: Friendship Is Magic is just ridiculous.

However, in all seriousness, Regular Show does deserve at least a small mention for being absolutely awesome while being ridiculous at the same time.

THANK YOU KIND SIR!!
I love Regular Show so much :D

Wait, when did MovieBob confess to being a Brony? (Did he or am I just reading OP wrong?)

I like Ponies better but I will admit Adventure Time makes me laugh, I'm not sure why though.

Z of the Na'vi:

'Sup Z!
I didn't recognize you with that new Avatar :P

How's it been?

For me, Adventure Time is funnier, but MLP:FiM has more substance.

And that substance is marshmallow.

But seriously, I love the random shock humor that Adventure Time frequently offers, but whenever an episode seems to try being plot-driven it just ends up feeling more stupid than anything. MLP:FiM on the other doesn't make me laugh all that often, but the story feels like it's held together better, and it's easier to get lost in Equestria than Ooo. It's the difference between a hearty belly laugh for a half-hour or wearing a grin all day. Just depends on what I'm feeling like.

Irridium:
Adventure Time! Great, hilarious show.

Also, that Christmas episode was... haunting, to say the least.

You mean about the origins of the Ice King?

That and This Mortal Folly the one that featured the Lich King went and did a serious DARK TURN in the story that bothered me a bit.

Although the one where Finn almost got eaten by an Angel made me laugh

This is a nerd war that has the power to turn a peaceful civilization of boys with dogs and ponies into a war-torn nation of Civil War, debating whether Rainbow Dash or Bubblegum Princess are better at being female. I'd rather not take part in it.

BUT I WILL Adventure Time. I haven't seen MLP: FiM, since I'm a manly man who doesn't watch horses unless the horse is a robot punching a Nazi (See: Bionic Commando), so I'm not a fair judge. Maybe I'll watch YouTube to see what the fuss is about.

LittleJoeRambler:
For me, Adventure Time is funnier, but MLP:FiM has more substance.

And that substance is marshmallow.

But seriously, I love the random shock humor that Adventure Time frequently offers, but whenever an episode seems to try being plot-driven it just ends up feeling more stupid than anything. MLP:FiM on the other doesn't make me laugh all that often, but the story feels like it's held together better, and it's easier to get lost in Equestria than Ooo. It's the difference between a hearty belly laugh for a half-hour or wearing a grin all day. Just depends on what I'm feeling like.

I agree. MLP always gives me a reason to smile to a ridiculous amount, especially when Pinkie Pie is on screen.

But Adventure times leaves me rolling in laughter.

PRIME EXAMPLE:

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked