12.4% (37)
12.4% (37)
MLP! Fluttershy. nuff said.
44.8% (134)
44.8% (134)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Adventure Time! vs. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I could never get into Adventure time, where at times it is very funny (HILARIOUSLY funny) and I can definitely appreciate the kind of work and quality that goes into the show (the origin of the ice king episode impressed me quite substantially), its nonsensical humor and lack of character development, with some rather bland characterizations, prevents me from getting into it.

I prefer My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because it just keeps me smiling throughout each episode, and its characters have personalities people can relate to as well as they show great signs of progressing in character development. Its humor also flows a lot nicer and doesn't feel forced most of the time.

Plus it can be rather touching at times, with moments that really tug at my heart (which I honestly cannot remember the last time a cartoon did that lol), and I can often take it seriously. Its world is also something I prefer to adventure time's, because it's rather unique and of its own with adaptations from mythology/culture and has concepts based off of works such as The Lord of the Rings, where adventure time feels like a jumbled world that doesn't make much sense.

Many other reasons I can delve into, but I think I wrote enough. It's just a matter of preference really, I honestly can't say one is better than the other.

I would also like to point out just how civilized everyone is acting.

keep it up everyone, it's nice to see such levelheadedness :D

aescuder:
I enjoyed your insights immensely. I would have to agree with you, most especially with the above quote. As I mentioned earlier, this may also be the reason why MLP:FiM will never be able to fully explore the entire spectrum of human emotion, particularly that of intimacy and longing, in the development of the ponies. Ironic given the overtones of "love" in the show.

A real shame because the complex relationships created with Marcelline + Dad, Marcelline + Princess Bubblegum, Finn + Princess Bubblegum, Jake + Lady Rainicorn, Finn + Susan (i.e. longing for another human), etc, are the episodes I seem to enjoy the most.

Why thank you, I'm flattered. The complex relationships are indeed one of the things that make Adventure Time so worthwhile. In that regard, my favorite episode was "Go With Me," the one where Finn asks Marceline for advice on how to get Princess Bubblegum to go with him to a movie. Nevermind that their bonding in that episode was down-right adorable, but when it finally occurs to Finn to try and ask Marceline, she responds with outright anger. The response of an emotionally well-adjusted girl, upon being "asked out" by a much younger boy, might have been to laugh and try and gently let him down. When she then tries to scare him away by shapeshifting into a hideous monster, she reveals all when she asks, "What do you think of me now?" It is thus apparent, I think, that she was angry that a human boy would ask her out when she considers herself, on some level, to be a horrible monster. Such is a brand of teenage vampire self-loathing that kicks the crap out of Edward Cullen. It's there, but it's well hidden by time, and Marceline can function as a person, instead of being all emo about it all the time. Good ol' Penn writes vampires well.

Revolutionaryloser:
I respect your opinion firstly but I don't agree on those two points. Regarding MLP being offensive it has already offended a lot of people in two significant occasions. Once in Feeling Pinkie Keen where they decided to defend Christianity and Over The Barrel where they set the record for worst handling of Colonialism ever. Both episodes written by Dave Polsky BTW.

I don't think Feeling Pinkie Keen was in defense of Christianity. Granted, it was one of the more awkwardly written episodes, but I think the moral was something more akin to, "Trust your friends. Do not assume that you are always right." There wasn't anything to tie it into any particular religion, either. Nor do I think that Over The Barrel was the worst handling of colonialism ever. Do recall that it showed the senselessness of warfare, and instead advocated peaceful compromise. A path was cut through the orchard for the buffalo to cross, and they were offered a share of the crops. That's not at all what happened in real life, but I think it's pretty clear this show isn't out to emulate real life. Perhaps you could elaborate on why you felt it was the worst handling ever?

All that is besides the point, however. Despite a few slip-ups, it is there intention to create a show that is not controversial. I recall that Lauren Faust once said in an interview that she was skirting a very fine line by having Rainbow Dash call Twilight an "egghead" in the episode "Fall Weather Friends."

Revolutionaryloser:
And as for the moralizing, they've pretty much subverted that theme. . . .

These ponies tend to learn their lesson without losing anything. I think that's all part of making the show "nice." The morals have far less impact when the stakes are less than low, as they turned out to be in that case. It seems the writers of that show are trying to "have their cake and eat it too." Adventure Time's not afraid to freak kids out.

Revolutionaryloser:
In season 2 it became pretty clear that any pretentions of imparting moral guidelines went out the window. In fact, a lot of the morals are derisive, occasionally going as far as teaching you that you should always try to make a profit out of your kidnappers, it's OK to be the best at everything as long as you aren't smug about it, social outcasts should stick together, don't question Rarity's fashion sense and (ESPECIALLY) don't fuck with Fluttershy.

Let's see here...
"A Dog and Pony Show" was basically the "annoying hostage" stock plot re-worked into a feminist indulgence. If I recall correctly, the moral was basically, "Don't underestimate a lady."
There are a few episodes in which humility is the subject, but the message I'm getting is, "Be proud of your strengths, just don't be a braggart." A fine moral lesson.
I think you're drifting back and forth between seasons one and two, but no matter. "Call of the Cutie" imparts its moral by urging children not to assume that they will not be accepted. The very thing Applebloom felt made her an outcast earned her a place in a new power-trio. Moralizing yet again.
In "Suited for Success," the primary moral lesson was no doubt that you should not criticize a gift you are receiving, an instruction in elementary ettiquete. The subtext of "respect a professional's opinion" is a subtle gibe for the older audience. Such was one of Lauren Faust's stated goals.
That, and Fluttershy's entire character again plays into the distinctly feminist theme of "Don't enderestimate a lady." It is meant to inspire confidence in those shy children when they see a chronically shy individual exhibit moments of exceptional strength.

All told, I think it's pretty clear that they have not abandoned their goal of moralizing.

Whatever floats your boat really. Both have huge fanbases who have different reasons for watching their show, and I've got nothing against anyone with different tastes.
Personally, I watch My Little Pony. I like insanity but only in small doses, and Adventure Time is a bit too insane for me to comprehend.

But I must admit, this clip made me crack up:

aescuder:

uneek:
Well both are imaginative animated series that manage to understand what their target audience wants while still being able to be appreciated by other observers. They both have people behind them that care about their work and loves their fans. But, they still have different goals in mind when it comes to what they want to achieve. One wants to accentuate the good parts of their source material and fusing them with an interesting mythology. One wants to show the limits(or rather the lack of them) of animation by having only 2 constants: the main characters and the theme of adventure. In that way they are incomparable. But I will have to go with MLP. Why? Because I haven't seen much of Adventure Time. :|

P.S. Guys, please don't start a flame war. I beg of you.

I agree in all of that. And yes I rather we don't have a flame war.

As most of you have already guessed I'm partial to Adventure Time - something about the boyish, ADD-ish, random nerd humor really gets me. Plus, Adventure Time tackles young love and intimacy...something MLP seems to stray away from, with the exception of Spike (the only developed male character), for whatever reason. If I were to guess its because the target audience are young impressionable girls..wouldn't want them pining over guys. I personally think it would be great to develop some love interests.

I digress..

Even with that its a toss up. What really makes Adventure Time stand out for me is prolly the music. Kudos to Rebecca Sugar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2bZSyXVxKg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk

I usually take a focus on love interests as a sign of a show jumping the shark. But, I digress too. Nice rebuttal.

Dtox333:
I would also like to point out just how civilized everyone is acting.

keep it up everyone, it's nice to see such levelheadedness :D

Just wait. Some asshole will ruin it.

I never really got into adventure time, i don't know why it's just my cup of tea...

After watching various clips of Adventure Time I love it but am really, REALLY, surprised it is allowed to air on Cartoon Network. Is it aired after 8 or something?

Anyway, I did chose MLP because I think characters are more important than laughs. I think what I like most about them is that they are supposed to be young adults instead of children.

If you can put the characters from said childrens show into a situation in which they must participate in a desperate Napoleonic war, deal with terminal illnesses, or other such server mental and physical trauma and I do not find them out of place in the least, then I think we have a winner.

I am not sure if its the skill of the fanfic writers or the ponies strong personalities from the show (most likely both) but i believe if you made the characters human and gave them real names "normal" people would accept them as some very find legitimate literature.

I haven't watched Adventure time but after seeing the clips here, I just have to watch it. Seems like my kind of show. So I vote AT!

I watched the first season of MLP and to be honest, I found it kind of meh though I can see why people like it. It didn't have my kind of humor except for one character who made me laugh like a crazy hyena on speed during a full moon in the lost parts of zeus' bearded cookie, Discord. That guy was so hilarious it pained me that they had to "kill him" so fast. I wanted more of him!

Adventure Time just clicks with me, but I can't seem to get my head around My Little Pony. I think all the pink and girlishness turns me off of it

Adventure Time hands down.

Because it doesn't have to teach you a lesson about friendship or caring at the end of every episode. At the end of the day, MLP is made for a younger audience, and it shows. Also the art design is just bland. Its light colors against light colors and nothing stands out. Just looks.....bleh.

I vote MLP because as a Briton, I can actually watch it. I don't like going on any of those "Watch TV online" sites, so youtube is where I get my cartoons that don't air in Britain fill. MLP is allowed to be on youtube, Hasbro doesn't take episodes down because well, more people watching it means more people buying the toys, which is their main source of income. So basically, my opinion is that if I could watch Adventure Time without the risk of viruses, I would probably love it.

I'm relieved to see this thread because I'm not usually much of a cartoon watcher save for some Adult Swim and I didn't really know how to feel about seeing Adventure Time and enjoying it enough to watch it when its on and learn who the characters are. It's one of those shows that works for different age groups in different ways but remains enjoyable because of the characters and the imagination even if the kids aren't picking up on the darker themes.

MLP is nice and fun and has some wonderful episodes and humor.

But Adventure Time to me holds a better overall plot with growth and change from episode to episode, a much tighter continuity and far more laugh out loud moments.

Apples and oranges.

MLP is engineered to show friendship and to arrive at a good moral message, and they try to work in some humor along the way, which I think they only have moderate success in doing. It's exceedingly good natured and fine to watch.

Adventure Time is very random, but it has a consistency that lets you accept everything they throw at you. It's frequently hilarious, and although it doesn't hit the perfect take home messages that MLP does, it's got just as much warmth. Its characters are also just as well developed as MLP in my book. On top of that, I love the animation and the music quite a bit.

All in all, I'm glad MLP is on TV, but Adventure Time is a cartoon for the ages and a beacon of hope for the future of animation.

For the extra credit, my favorite episode is What Was Missing, because it had the best music that I can think of for a show whose music is already the best

[deleted]

Okay, who's climbin' through windows and bumping threads up?

Adventure Time, It has John DiMaggio and I find it more funny and entertaining.

Also Rainicorns>Ponies, has to be said.

I haven't seen much FiM, but I haven't seen anything come from it that can top the Magic Man from Adventure Time in my eyes.

Also I started watching from the beginning, and the very first scene of Adventure Time is about a princess in a graveyard trying to mix a chemical that will raise the dead... something about that just clicked with me

ANYTHING is better than MLP. In fact, watching the TV when it is turned off is MUCH more entertaining.

TizzytheTormentor:

You know, I just realized how right you are. Lady Ranicorn is streets ahead of the mlp ponies. I mean....she's half unicorn, half RAINBOW. And a show as girly as MLP couldn't think of something that amazing?

Don Savik:

TizzytheTormentor:

You know, I just realized how right you are. Lady Ranicorn is streets ahead of the mlp ponies. I mean....she's half unicorn, half RAINBOW. And a show as girly as MLP couldn't think of something that amazing?

Exactly! All hail the rainicorns!
Ponies you say? Pfft

imnotparanoid:
I havent seen adventure time, Cant find it online anywhere and I dont get the channel its on.
So mlp for me.

dubhappy has most of the episodes.

Anyway OT adventure time by a LONG way, because its actually entertaining to me, not to mention it has the cutest episode of any tv show ever (cookies if anyone guesses which one).

bahumat42:

imnotparanoid:
I havent seen adventure time, Cant find it online anywhere and I dont get the channel its on.
So mlp for me.

Anyway OT adventure time by a LONG way, because its actually entertaining to me, not to mention it has the cutest episode of any tv show ever (cookies if anyone guesses which one).

He he, my post is months old, I have watchedl oads of episodes now, and I prefer it to mlp.
And you mean 'thanks' The one with the snow golem man?

imnotparanoid:

bahumat42:

imnotparanoid:
So mlp for me.

He he, my post is months old, I have watchedl oads of episodes now, and I prefer it to mlp.
And you mean 'thanks' The one with the snow golem man?

Yes i do indeed, i apologise for the retard moment, somebody appears to have necro'd this thread so it was on the front page lol.

Two years ago, this wouldn't even have been a discussion.

I give the creators of MLP:FiM (Lauren Faust and co.) all the credit in the world for stretching the premise of My Little Pony as far as they have... WAY beyond what I thought was possible, personally. I am amazed at how thoughtfully crafted the world and its characters are and how accessible and effective the humor is - and I enjoy the show for these reasons.

When I first heard about it, though, I thought it was destined to become the poster child for a new generation of half-assed, cheap, profit-driven, focus-group-derived corporate bullshit designed to brainwash children into associating television with overpriced novelty crap. I thought the show itself was going to be a series of thinly-veiled, candy-colored commercials created by the lowest bidder. I was certain that if it succeeded, it would do so at the expense of creator-driven content such as Adventure Time.

Much to my fascination and delight, however, MLP managed to transcend its commercial origins pretty much completely. Even if the franchise didn't exist, this show would stand on its own merits. It combines good characterization (arguably great - there are very few positive female characters in mainstream children's cartoons today) with extremely appealing design, excellent voice-acting, and very good writing (especially considering all the extra constraints placed on it by Hasbro, standards and practices, I/E, etc.) - not to mention the animation itself, which is superb by any means for a mass-produced television show and contains some of the best vector-based animation I've ever seen.

Having said that, Adventure Time gets my vote. For all of MLP's blessings, it doesn't quite stand up to the visual innovation and creative splendor of Adventure Time. Adventure Time is a potential genre-defining show. It represents a step away from the industry dogma that cartoons are, first and foremost, a children's product that should be exploited as much as conceivably possible. It's a true creative enterprise derived from the singular vision of its creator and nothing else. It doesn't suffer from the need to be random (like some cheap Ren & Stimpy/Spongebob copycat). Rather, it appears to espouse randomness in a world that is, in fact, designed in a consistent way with specific rules and a central theme. It has fewer boundaries than MLP and its humor is much more variably sourced.

Additionally, while the six main ponies are all pretty strong characters, Finn and Jake have the benefit of exclusivity that allows them to inter-develop along a much quicker path. Their bromance has evolved more rapidly and, as a result, they have a much more unique and interesting chemistry compared to the MLP gang.

tl;dr - Both shows are great. MLP annihilated my expectations, but Adventure Time may be the best cartoon on television.

I don't really like Adventure Time.

I dunno. I mean, it's not anything against the show, just that everytime I watch the show, I find myself flipping the channel because I feel have no reason to continue watching. Much like Dungeon Siege 3, where I have no motivation to continue playing, I don't feel drawn into the TV show.

Wolverine18:
ANYTHING is better than MLP. In fact, watching the TV when it is turned off is MUCH more entertaining.

My feelings exactly.

Furthermore, on the rare occasion that I do watch A.T., I actually find the art direction that the creator has taken to be very "interesting" to say the least.

TopazFusion:
A second necro? Wow.

And both times neco'd by someone on their very first post. What's up with that?

I can only assume that people must be Googling variations on the phrase "Adventure Time versus MLP", and then making an account specifically to respond. Unless you can think of another explanation.

May as well add a user group link.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who joins uncheck "Chat Notifications" when prompted as the group chat is very active.

Easily Adventure Time.
I'm pretty sure Pendleton Ward is a wizard from the future-past who has come to save us from bad cartoons.

Double Necro!

Anyway OT: You're all wrong it's all about Regular Show

Yeahyuhhh!!!

Also Regular Show has mild swearing. Instant win

Adventure time, purely because the fanbase isn't absolutely terrible yet.

Hazy992:
Double Necro!

Anyway OT: You're all wrong it's all about Regular Show

Yeahyuhhh!!!

Also Regular Show has mild swearing. Instant win

I came into this thread to say the same thing, realized it was a necro thread, and still got ninja'd to it.

Adventure time!
mainly because of the backstory

Poor old chap :c

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked