ACTA Passed, we failed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Obama proves irreversibly and forever that he is a real piece of shit who just doesn't give a fuck and has SIGNED ACTA: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/10/us-signs-international-anti-piracy-accord.ars

I know Ireland has signed ACTA too, haven't heard about any other countries as of yet, but it's so late in the game by now that even if we knew we couldn't stop it.

So congratulations everyone! Our combined apathy and inattentiveness has completely fuced over the internet we love and enjoy.

All we can hope to do now is damage control, and stop the Trans-Pacific Parternership, WHICH IS EVEN WORSE THAN ACTA: http://www.ustr.gov/tpp
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110105/02301112524/son-acta-worse-meet-tpp-trans-pacific-partnership-agreement.shtml

And, although it goes without saying, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

Lol, dude, the treaty is about HARDWARE PIRACY, like DVD-bootlegging. This isn't SOPA. The internet will be fine.

Edit: Actually, it seems to cover software as well, but not in any way that wasn't already enforced. What's the big deal?

This was 3 months ago. A little late to the party, aren't we?

Realitycrash:
Lol, dude, the treaty is about HARDWARE PIRACY, like DVD-bootlegging. This isn't SOPA. The internet will be fine.

In my eyes, ACTA is potentially worse. SOPA could have killed the internet. ACTA could kill so much more. Humans, for one thing.

I'll be glad once we all get over this annoying (and slightly hypocrtical) "dah intahnet is ehn danger the gubbement is evil" phase and maybe move on to freaking out about something else. Like those aliens. Up to something, I tell ya.

Xartyve2:
I'll be glad once we all get over this annoying (and slightly hypocrtical) "dah intahnet is ehn danger the gubbement is evil" phase and maybe move on to freaking out about something else. Like those aliens. Up to something, I tell ya.

Hear hear. According to this website, a psychic said there are aliens on the moon.

When will the "bill x IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN bill y AND WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING WE HAVE EVER HELD DEAR" stuff stop? It is getting rather annoying.

Thamous:
When will the "bill x IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN bill y AND WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING WE HAVE EVER HELD DEAR" stuff stop? It is getting rather annoying.

I'd say when we stop getting horrendous bills written by the entertainment industry to shore up their outdated business model. We need to go back to the copyright provisions that were actually in the constitution, not the BS that we're saddled with now because corporations with lots of copyrights (and therefore money) are good at bribing congress.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Realitycrash:

In my eyes, ACTA is potentially worse. SOPA could have killed the internet. ACTA could kill so much more. Humans, for one thing.

Humans are more important to you than the internet? Your priorities are ridiculously skewed man.

Xartyve2:

ResonanceSD:

Xartyve2:

Hear hear. According to this website, a psychic said there are aliens on the moon.

Thamous:

Some of us, you lot apparently aren't in this group, care about our rights and don't want to give them up just because big business wants more control. If forcing Congress to listen to the fucking citizenry for once in it's useless existence insults you, tough fucking shit.

Thamous:

Have fun without the internet.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Realitycrash:

I'll regret this but... please explain to me how this treaty could kill people.

TestECull:
Some of us, you lot apparently aren't in this group, care about our rights and don't want to give them up just because big business wants more control. If forcing Congress to listen to the fucking citizenry for once in it's useless existence insults you, tough fucking shit.

You "care about your rights". That's one way to put it, I suppose.

Thamous:

... well I assume it will stop when we finally decide to stop proposing bills that will destroy everything we have ever held dear >.>

So basically everyone used to handwrite everything, and then the printing press was invented and it changed the whole world. Suppose, then, that some stupid handwritten publishing firm comes along and goes "gasp! These newfangled printing presses will make it easy for people to copy our books without any effort and they won't have to pay us anymore for taking the time to handwrite them and we'll lose a shitton of money!" So he gets a law in place that bans the printing of books. Next thing you know it's the year 2012, and we're all still a bunch of catholic assholes in the dark ages who don't know anything because everyone teaches us shit in a language none of us understand, and we think that's okay because we're stupid like that because we never learned to read because the damn printing press was banned. And then we all die of black plague when we're 12 anyway so it's not like it matters.

Yes, that is one hell of a slippery slope, but it gets the point across: The reason people make such a big fucking deal out of these things is verily because these things are a big fucking deal.

Uh, ACTA was signed internationally by the United States, Canada, Morocco, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea with strong support from the European Union, Mexico, and Switzerland. Congress didn't get a say, and it's not America's law, it's been in the making for years now and has support from the worlds leading powers. In all honesty, unless you think that some of the leading democracies in the world are against you, you shouldn't be too worried.

Realitycrash:

Edit: Actually, it seems to cover software as well, but not in any way that wasn't already enforced. What's the big deal?

Wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3FpBzszFg

At least it's like that in Ireland. Read the article I posted, it can very easily (and most likely WILL) spread to the states.

ive been mentioning in all the stop acta threads that people are 3 months to late to stop it but apparently people would just prefer to ignore that little stumbling block

The agreement (it is not a bill, stop calling it that) is not designed to make the signature countries do anything. As far as it stands Australia (we signed it as well) does not actually have to change any laws regarding copyright in order to fulfill the requirements of the agreement.

What this agreement is all about is trying to get developing nations such as China and Brazil where copyright infringement is the norm to sign on in late 2012, early 2013 (it is estimated that up to 95% of music in China is pirated).

Quite frankly the people who are "OMGZ INTERNETZ IZ GOING TO DIEZ" have no idea what they are talking about. Like Australia most, if not all, the current signing countries already have laws in place that fulfill the minimum requirements of the agreement.

I've had enough of companies selling us hardware that will never be ours and games that have expired. I'm hunkering down with cookies and milk and hitting my books.

No one can ACTA, SOPA or 'it's-not-yours-you-only-paid-for-the-right-to-bring-it-home' books.

If you believe in IP protection, you must be 'a real piece of shit'?

Thanks OP... I didn't realize you actually had that much of an important thing to say.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh wait, you didn't have anything important to say... you just wanted us to click on your link of a Futurama episode that states that you : Don't want to live on this Planet anymore...

Yeah, you failed.

EDIT: Bye bye internet.

Syzygy23:
Obama proves irreversibly and forever that he is a real piece of shit

Yea, i stopped reading there, Here is what im going to say, Let it go, our three months late to the party, and the fact that you are trying to get people on your side by going with the common "Obama is crap" Thing, only means you are grasping at straws here.

Xartyve2:

Thamous:

I second both these sentiments. Seriously, this is really getting annoying, and frankly I'm sick and bloody tired of the fear mongering.

You can't win. They just keep throwing bills at us that steal rights, how can you possibly keep up with them all!?
Especially because so many people are apathetic about the whole thing.

Syzygy23:
Obama proves irreversibly and forever that he is a real piece of shit who just doesn't give a fuck and has SIGNED ACTA: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/10/us-signs-international-anti-piracy-accord.ars

This just in, Syzygy23 proves irreversibly and forever that hyperbole is the only way to go, right away, about everything, forever.

Yes, assuredly, Obama signing a bill you don't agree with (or, possibly, understand) is proof that he is subhuman filth. There is no middle ground. He did something you (possibly) disagree with, therefore he does not give a fuck and is a real piece of shit.

Assuredly.

(you don't actually know what ACTA is or does, do you)

Yesterday Poland signed ACTA.
There were thousands of protesters in our biggest cities, there were campaigns against ACTA in the Internet. Some politicians and organizations advised at least postponing this whole case until some more dubious elements will be fixed. It wasn't enough.

Our government essentially said "f*ck you country, f*ck you people" and signed.

The atmosphere ? People are angry. One spark and there will be blood. I'm not sure if it's wrong solution anymore.

Edit : Roughly 1/1000 of our society protested actively. Ruling out kids, elders, sick and such that's pretty big number i guess. Unfortunately it seems that corporations are more important. FTW.

ResonanceSD:

Xartyve2:

Let's just hope the evil doppelgangers stay with them >_>

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Realitycrash:

I agree with you RealityCrash.

How can ACTA kill humans ?

SOPA was nasty for two main reasons.
1-It screwed with the way the internet works.
2-It gave power to the companies instead of the government.
These problems aren't there in ACTA or TPP.

Making the laws more universal is a great way to bring harmony.
I most of the world the laws are less strict. Americans should be happy that crimes,that affects them, won't be as easy and safe to commit elsewhere. As for the "other"s I don't see how you can complain against these laws since they don't really prevent you from doing anything legal.

dark-mortality:

ResonanceSD:

Xartyve2:

Let's just hope the evil doppelgangers stay with them >_>

Are you referring what i think you are? A fancy man with a fantastic top hat?

OT: From what I've seen, nothing seems to have changed. All the things I've seen about it have been from 2010, so i have no idea what's going on :/.

Im getting rather annoyed that we have to keep being scared of our various goverment representatives, because of the stupid decisions they keep deciding to make. Its a problem that we should be scared of many of our elected officials, and that many dont seem to be able to understand the bills they pass.

By the way, the most I could find in the news on ACTA in New Zealand is 4 pieces from 2010. This bill has been signed without any news coverage in here, and im sure the same is true in many countries.

Syzygy23:
Wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3FpBzszFg

This guy mentions it hasnt been covered in Ireland either.

This whole treaty strikes me as very shady and underhanded.

well, frack. it appears the first steps to an actual potental world war 3 are happening. why? because the goverments and large corporation are ganging up on us. the corps are using the govs as a tool to get to us, and if it happens once too many times. i promise you, there will be blood.

and lots of it.

Actually it doesn't seem too bad. http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/trade-topics/intellectual-property/anti-counterfeiting/

As in no new legislation is being put in, hardware isn't monitored, sites wont be siezed etc. All it allows is counterfeiting to be persued and prosecuted, because bootlegging in the EU is still quite a big thing. It isn't as bad.

Until the whiners and "this is end of everything!!" whiners actually read the treaty, then I will firmly hold my belief that they're spewing unjustified hyperbole.

Do you want everyone to have free rights? I mean, beyond basic human rights; do you want copyright to be worthless? Do you want companies to not own anything? Enough is enough, of course, but without these things in place it would be anarchy. Do you WANT it to be anarchy??

These trade agreements exist for good reasons and will not impede on anyone's wellbeing or freedoms. They will only go so far as to punish those who are breaking international law. I would have thought that's a good thing. I guess people will just assume "PIPA/SOPA" being followed by this, that it's some kind of trend. It's not. ...it's really not.

ACTA basically just breaks down borders and allows international copyright and such to be truly universal. It is not censorship of the internet. It is not the end of free or fair trade. It is not SOPA. You are all blowing this waaay out of proportion. The worst part of ACTA is that it was formed behind the public's backs, but since it does so little to actually affect the public, I dunno why that's an issue. I'm sure traffic laws were formed behind our backs too. We don't complain about that, though.

Edit: why does everyone keep calling this a bill? It is a TRADE AGREEMENT. It's not being signed into legislative law. You guys are uneducated morons who'll jump at anything, are you? That's... that's disheartening. I thought we'd see some actual critical thinking being done here.

DarthFennec:

Thamous:

... well I assume it will stop when we finally decide to stop proposing bills that will destroy everything we have ever held dear >.>

So basically everyone used to handwrite everything, and then the printing press was invented and it changed the whole world. Suppose, then, that some stupid handwritten publishing firm comes along and goes "gasp! These newfangled printing presses will make it easy for people to copy our books without any effort and they won't have to pay us anymore for taking the time to handwrite them and we'll lose a shitton of money!" So he gets a law in place that bans the printing of books. Next thing you know it's the year 2012, and we're all still a bunch of catholic assholes in the dark ages who don't know anything because everyone teaches us shit in a language none of us understand, and we think that's okay because we're stupid like that because we never learned to read because the damn printing press was banned. And then we all die of black plague when we're 12 anyway so it's not like it matters.

Yes, that is one hell of a slippery slope, but it gets the point across: The reason people make such a big fucking deal out of these things is verily because these things are a big fucking deal.

if i remember correctly there were bishops who opposed the printing press because it removed their monopoly on books(because no-one but monks had the time and patience to copy books by hand). When Luther came around some Catholics were like SEE WHAT THE PRESS DID TO US? THEY ARE THINKING.
then again, the church also tried to ban the crossbow because it allowed anyone who had a few hours of training to kill a knight who was wearing a small fortune in armor and arms and had spend his whole life training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS5rSvZXe8 perhaps this will convince those who are "apathetic." What people don't seem to understand is that much of the piracy is in fact supported and distributed by media companies themselves. Yet they are never held responsible for their own actions. Companies like CBS are some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen in a long time.

Here's a fantastic post on reddit that should clear up what ACTA actually does and how it'll affect you. Apply critical thinking and you're educated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/or8ag/ive_read_the_final_version_of_acta_heres_what_you/

Blacktooth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS5rSvZXe8 perhaps this will convince those who are "apathetic." What people don't seem to understand is that much of the piracy is in fact supported and distributed by media companies themselves. Yet they are never held responsible for their own actions. Companies like CBS are some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen in a long time.

I hope you haven't been getting all your information from a Youtube video, made up your mind, then found other people who reaffirm that opinion (likely others who have seen the video) and taken that it's fact. Do try to look at both sides of the debate, will you? Jumping to conclusions based on half the story is... well it's not exactly smart.

And if you found out about this via Youtube and made your mind up on the spot then I beg you to stop doing that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked