Advice please, dog is sick, puking bile, pooping blood

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And don't say take her to the vet either because it is after hours and money is very tight. Now she only started doing this a little while ago, she is a yorkshire terrier btw. I read somewhere that carbonated water will clear this right up, is it true? If not, other suggestions will be appreciated

Mods please don't move this to the advice forum, not enough people traffic that area and I need suggestions sooner rather than later!

Sorry, double post

I guess I'll have to do the wait and see approach...

You can try the carbonated water, I'm not sure if it'll work or not. You are going to hate me for saying this but you probably going to want to take the dog to a vet as soon as possible. She could be really ill and letting her suffer is cruel.

YOU NEED A VET. This sounds serious, and potentially life-threatening. There are emergency vets that are open later than regular hours (many are available any time) and you can at least ask if they're willing to work with you on the payments (they may let you do a payment plan, or offer you a reduced rate).

I can't see any way that carbonated water would fix bloody stool. It may stop the vomiting (it helps with humans, so it might help with dogs) but you'd just be treating a symptom, with no idea as to the cause. And because you don't know what's wrong, giving her carbonated water could make things worse.

mattttherman3:
And don't say take her to the vet either because it is after hours and money is very tight. Now she only started doing this a little while ago, she is a yorkshire terrier btw. I read somewhere that carbonated water will clear this right up, is it true? If not, other suggestions will be appreciated

Mods please don't move this to the advice forum, not enough people traffic that area and I need suggestions sooner rather than later!

What Catfood220 said is right. If your like me, i'd take it to the vet. Yes, i do value my dogs health over mine...

But seriously dude, take it to the vets. Loosing pets sucks.

Take her to the vet, seriously, if she dies you will always regret it.

I lost my parrot last year and I was tight on cash so when she got ill I decided to 'wait and see' for a couple days before taking her to the vet, apparently what she had was incurable but I will always wonder whether she'd be alive today if i'd done things differently.

I really hope that I will never be in your shoes, since it must suck :/

But I would really recommend that you see a vet, I would rather eat noodles for a couple of months then letting my dog die :/

Unfortunately, this sensitivity is not a landing on the moon in particular, the priest is to exaggerate the other members of his mother to urinate like a watermelon out of bison, a huge ship in the sky until the speaker, he actually you can fly rockets. I hated the Leonardo de Bambi the bottom of the phone hacking scandal of political correctness movement of the internal organs of fish actually feed.

Gabe is a manic leper:
Unfortunately, this sensitivity is not a landing on the moon in particular, the priest is to exaggerate the other members of his mother to urinate like a watermelon out of bison, a huge ship in the sky until the speaker, he actually you can fly rockets. I hated the Leonardo de Bambi the bottom of the phone hacking scandal of political correctness movement of the internal organs of fish actually feed.

Hello mr random....

Tubez:

Hello mr random....

Hello Mr Friend, I have sourced you out of thousands to present to you my undying love. You're my favourite Renaissance painter.

OP: Give it love, it'll love you back, and the love you get will keep you strong through the snow. Cry for your husky.

Go to the vet NOW, or risk your dog dying. That dog is in serious danger.

Tubez:

Gabe is a manic leper:

Hello mr random....

The hell? on a better note, Dog has not thrown up for a few hours so hopefully it was a diet change thing

Gabe is a manic leper:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/06/markov-and-you.html

I SEE THROUGH YOUR PETTY GAMES.

OT:

Diet change won't cause bloody poo. Take your dog to the vet! IT'S VERY LIKELY THAT SHE COULD DIE!

mattttherman3:

The hell? on a better note, Dog has not thrown up for a few hours so hopefully it was a diet change thing

This is extremely unlikely, given the combination of symptoms. If she had only been vomiting then this might be the case (but it would still be risky to not see a vet just in case), but vomiting and bloody stool means that there is something more serious going on, like Parvo. Just because the vomiting has stopped (for now at least) doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

mattttherman3:
And don't say take her to the vet either because it is after hours and money is very tight.

Take her to a vet, NOW. Many cities have after hours clinics or emergencies, and you are describing an emergency. I don't care if money is tight, you own a dog, it is your responsibly to care for them.

I'd hate to sound like everyone else but TAKE IT TO A VET if you love so much. Though if i was in your position i would just let take it out back and shoot it (ah evil self how i've missed you). But don't listen to me, i'm emotionally retarded or something.

Those are very serious symptoms. With such a small dog, it could easily die if it doesn't receive treatment. My dog was in the hospital for two nights on an IV, and I took her to the emergency room as soon as the symptoms started. Even if it is caused by a diet change, gastroenteritis is something that needs to be treated.

Avoiding the vet is a terrible idea. Sure you might want an alternative, but there simply is no reasonable alternative if you care about your dog =/

GethBall:
I'd hate to sound like everyone else but TAKE IT TO A VET if you love so much. Though if i was in your position i would just let take it out back and shoot it (ah evil self how i've missed you). But don't listen to me, i'm emotionally retarded or something.

Not evil or emotionally retarded at all. By all means, OP, take your dog to the vet, but be prepared to face the fact that putting him/her down might be all you can do at this point. When it comes to pets, sometimes putting the poor thing out of its misery really is the kind thing to do. Now again, I can't stress enough that you should take the dog to the vet; it could easily be something that can be cleared up with a little medication. But if major surgery is in the offing, suddenly we're in a whole different ball park.

I'm a licensed EMT-B so while I can't speak to pet medical care specifically, I have some minor experience with people and medical biology. So here are a few things:

Look at anything your dog is puking up, and look at the color of the blood in the stool. This can tell you where the bleeding is coming from and how serious it is. Does the blood look bright red, is it fresh? How much of it is there? Does the vomitus look like dark red coffee grounds at all or is it just bile?

Secondly be sure to keep the dog hydrated. Throwing up will make it lose liquids fast and as it loses water other problems will start to compound. Assuming it's anything like a dehydrated person(child) it could easily have a seizure.

Thirdly, you really should see a vet. If you feel you can get through the night and see them tomorrow then you should do that; if you don't feel like that is a viable option then you really should take them to the vet now(you will feel better about it.)

Yea, you'll want a vets opinion here. Vomiting and bloody diarrhea are symptoms of Parvo or HGE, both of which are very fatal (Parvo having something like a 90 percent mortality rate.) without treatment. Few other things that can cause it as well, she could have eaten something she shouldn't have (Leash, slippers, whatever)and isn't able to pass it, various parasites can cause it (most of which can cause secondary issues.) as can rat poison. Few other things as well, if less likely (Gastrointestinal cancers, addison's, Leptosperosis etc.)

You need a vet asap dude. Call one or see one, because this sounds really serious.

Screw money, do you care about her or not? Take her the vet as soon as possible. We didn't take one of our dogs to the vet when she started getting a lump on her face beause we thought it was just a sist but it turned out to be cancer and we lost her. Until then just keep and eye on her and make sure she's drinking and eating well. If she's lost her appitite she's very sick.

Since you say we can't say "Take it to a vet!"
I'm going to have to say, try random shit and let it die?
Seriously if you don't go to a vet you risk her dying

I would definitely say take it to a vet, odds are you can get a payment plan of some kind you can afford. Even if it is bad news, I at least believe it is better then letting it suffer.

*puts on vet tech student hat*

Those are symptoms of many things. Working in a clinic, those were common complaints. Parvo seems to be the biggest thing people say when they hear of bloody diarrhea, though most cases are with young puppies, and most cases I've seen with a little bit of blood were never too serious. Parvo poop also has a putrid smell (that you NEVER forgot. I mean, it's practically pureed gut), with the dog often listless, skinny, dehydrated, and generally feeling like crap. It could also be irritation, so while I wouldn't take your dog out to a park until it's sorted out, it's best not to expect the worse. Working in a clinic as well as with a few shelter animals, bloody poop isn't always doom. Actually, vomiting and diarrhea isn't usually doom in the first place. Once or twice in a while is usually ok (especially in animals with sensitive stomachs, like my cat *glares at fresh pile of kibble vomit from him stuffing his face*). It's the body's natural defense mechanism. If that's the case, I would reccomend just watching for any changes in behaviour or...body products 0.0. That's what I tell people when they call. If they want to come in, they're free to do so and we'll help when we can. If not, it often sorts itself out with careful monitoring at home.

Unless your dog goes downhill fast, keep him away from other pets and keep an eye on him. In cases of diarrhea and vomiting, always ensure he has fresh water available (you can do a skin turgor as a quick dehydration test by twisting some semi-firm skin. If it goes to normal faster than 2 seconds, we're good). Make notes on colour and contents of vomit and diarrhea as well as when/where. Is it liquid diarrhea? Is it just a few lines of blood or the entire thing is bright red? Look around the house and try to think of anything your dog could've gotten into, like the garbage, slippers, cat food, etc. Was the diet changed? If so, best to move it back. All diet changes should be made slowly. Start with about 25% new food, then after 3 days or so get to 50%, etc etc. Dogs and cats are sensitive to dietary changes. Though after something like this, best to remove food for a while (if free fed) until he calms down a bit.

Though bottom line, vetplease. Could be something serious, though it might not. If possible, bring your vet some poop to look at or send out to rule out intestinal parasites. I'm not a vet and I have no idea on what your dog's history is like or the dog right in front of me, so don't put my words too highly. Just tips is all.

Good luck to you and your pup.

Well, you'll just have to ask yourself if keeping her alive is worth the money. I hope that answer is yes, so take her to a vet.

Wait. You actually see blood and still don't want to take it to the vet? Wtf is wrong with you?
A puking dog I can understand but if its shitting blood then you take it to the damn vet first thing in the morning. And I mean you be there waiting at the door for the second they open.
Jesus Christ. Glad I am not a member of your family. Can shit blood and you think bubbly water will fix everything.

Gabe is a manic leper:

Colonel? Is that you?

OT: I cannot stress enough the seriousness of these symptoms. It's unlikely anyone other than a vet can help get your dog there as soon as possible. Due to the nature of the profession there should be a place open somewhere. I can't help on the money front. I wish you the best. Let us know how things turn out

TAKE. YOUR. DOG. TO. THE. VET.

Don't poll the internet for opinions, don't wait and see, don't try stupid home remedy nonsense in the off chance that it might help. Your pet is ill if it is puking up bile and pooping blood. Take it to a trained professional whose job it is to deal with pet health issues.

Take you dog to the fucking vet! Whether moneys tight or not that dogs well being is your obligation.

Yeah, you should totally let your dog suffer in agony because you're too cheap to take her to the vet. If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the dog. If that's the case, take her to the ASPCA, and they'll take care of it. If you were puking and shitting blood, you'd go to the hospital, not just chug some damn carbonated water. Jesus.

I know everyone else is saying it, but TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET. Or the ASPCA. Whichever you feel will work.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked