Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

generals3:

Nikolaz72:

Kashrlyyk:
Finally someone who gets it! There is not a gene that makes people spoiled or immature, it is not something that just happens. No, IT IS LEARNED! And it is a sign of bad parenting.

So when this guy was confronted with the fact that he and his wife are SHIT at parenting he could not cope with loosing the delusion of being a good parent and punished HER for HIS failure. And only retards and other failures applaud that.

People should understand by now that a loud minority (I dont want to believe its the majority) on escapist applauds bad parrenting and hates kids. This is why such things here are so supported, they hate kids. Therefor they dont need to hear about kids being treated like normal human-beings. Actually, the more mistreatment it seems the more they like the story. Im pretty sure back when the video of the father that 'hit' his daughter came up like half those people were supporting it because (OH, IT WAS ONLY WITH THE BACK OF HIS HAND)

Yes i totally hate kids because i don't think it's wrong for a parent to punish his child after she made a mockery of him on the net. Oh the atrocity! As far as i know there was no abuse here, just a piece of her own cake. He destroyed a laptop he most likely paid for and than proceeded to put his angry rant on her facebook (which is basically what she did). This isn't a parent beating his child up for no good reason.

And while yes there may have been some bad parenting along the lines it's not always that easy. The social environment has a huge impact on teenagers and her acting like a spoiled kid may just originate from that and not the parenting.

Alright, lets do a little game called, methods of venting.

Teenage Girl Venting - Making a post on facebook saying that she's unhappy about her chores that will be forgotten in a week.

Fathers method of venting - Attacking his daughter emotionally and destroying her property with the use of a gun.

You know what my father did often that made me scared? He punched the wall. Now sure, this might not harm anyone physically. But it hurts a -lot- emotionally. Because you can see his angry and such and you fear he might bring that fist to you. -Now imagine a gun- And electricity flying around. If it was me I would hate the guy and be scarred for life, guns are not a parrenting tool. And anyone who thinks so is a phsycopath.

Its his fault she's acting like this in the first place, going up to her place. And acting like a spoiled brat infront of her isnt gonna teach her any morals or values. And yea, I bet the child-hating minority on escapist would support this kind of parenting. Although they might have wanted for something a little harsher.

Fragmented_Faith:
Whatever lesson there was to be gained here is lost in the method this brain-dead hick decided to use. I'm properly going to cop some flack here but if you support blatantly destroying something of significant worth to try and teach your child "a lesson" then you are a bleeding idiot.

Not saying there was not a problem that needed solving, just that the method used here is easily the worst I've heard of in living memory

Good to know you value gadgets more than your children.

I agree with the dad. And I don't think his method was too extreme, or that he shouldn't have used a gun. He used it safely and responsibly, no different than using a hammer. He was not raging, he was level headed, he made his argument and filmed everything. This was not an act of blinding rage, it was a thought out punishment. What's more, from the dad's response the method seems to have been very effective. That alone makes it a good decision and any argument to the contrary is based on faulty assumptions and very little information.

usmarine4160:
Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler

You sir just made my day.

OT : Wow, and I thought my Dad swearing a lot when he stubs his toe was bad.

Okey, that was amazing. That is how you teach a child a lesson! I both love and hate you America, but atm, I am leaning more to love. :D

If you are going to use a gun, that is how you use it. Not to hurt, but to teach!

Fragmented_Faith:
Whatever lesson there was to be gained here is lost in the method this brain-dead hick decided to use. I'm properly going to cop some flack here but if you support blatantly destroying something of significant worth to try and teach your child "a lesson" then you are a bleeding idiot.

Not saying there was not a problem that needed solving, just that the method used here is easily the worst I've heard of in living memory

Brain dead hick? He works in IT, has enough money to afford a nice .45, a nice John Deer, and to hire a maid. Not many brain dead people manage that, much less hicks.

Southern=/=Redneck hick hillbilly moonshine swigging psychopath.

Stalydan:
I'm not annoyed that he overreacted to a Facebook post. I'm not annoyed that he obviously invaded her privacy by going onto her browser, loading up Facebook and looking at her posts because he doesn't trust her. I'm annoyed that he's got such issues that he's not facing.

The chores that she lists aren't normal chores for a teenager. I can't think of many teenagers who are asked to spread manure across their gardens or asked to run a mop or brush through their house everyday when they come in. I suspect that the fertiliser is like a couple of times a year, otherwise it's weird that she'd be doing it regularly into late winter. But the cleaning the floors thing sounds weird if they have a cleaning lady. He says she's not a cleaning lady but he just says she's a lady that comes in and clean their house. Well that's a cleaning lady. If the thing he says after that clarifies something, I don't know what it is because his accent was way too strong for me to understand then. But yeah, they're a cleaning lady. It's like saying "Just because that guy bakes doesn't mean they're baker". It clearly does.

On to the bigger points. He's spoilt her. He obviously has. He just spent $130 on her upgrading her laptop. Which he then goes and shoots, a clear misuse of a gun, and then expects money off her for both the upgrade and the bullets he just wasted. Rather than donating it like a previous poster says, he just lets off some steam by destroying a perfectly functioning laptop.

He also complains she doesn't have a job. If he wants her to get one, why hasn't he forced her into getting one like "You either get a job or I'm not letting you have your phone and laptop"? It's obvious he even thinks of her as a materialist because that's all he takes away from her. Objects. Nothing like saying "You're grounded, you can't go see your friends". That speaks volumes about her.

He also says "Why should I pay you for chores?". Well if he's going to ask her to do this sort of stuff then... yeah. Pay her. Give her ten dollars a week. Why? Because if the rewards she's being given are upgrades to laptops, she's being spoilt. However, if she's given the money and then later does it herself, she'll feel like she's earned something. Nothing feels like a better reward than buying something yourself that you saved up for. I don't know how to explain it but it just is.

The worst thing about this is the video is sadistic to the core. He's hurt that she posts something on Facebook about him and his wife but here's the thing. Nobody pays attention to Facebook. It might be the talk for about a week tops but then it's gone. Dusted over, never to be heard from again. Sure, I'd be angry if somebody posted hurtful stuff about me on the internet but it's not as widespread as people think. Who cares about one 15 year old girl annoyed with her chores? It's so pointless. But rather than talking to her about it, he prints off her post, reads it aloud in a video and shoots her laptop about ten times and expects money for damages. He then says he's going to post it to her wall where she won't be able to see it but all her friends will. So not only does he know it's going to hurt her when she finds out what he's done to her stuff but it'll also embarrass her at her school when other people find out. It's wrong on some many levels, I'd be tempted to call it abuse if went one or two steps further.

tl;dr This girl will now grow up to resent her father because he blew his fuse at something so minor rather than talking it out.

Thank God someone put their Common Sense Head on today.

To be fair, I think the father was in the right in terms of what he was trying to say (before he went gung-ho on a piece of electronic equipment), and his daughter does sound spoiled and self-entitled to at least some degree, but the way in which he went about the situation was completely wrong -- and I don't even mean in a moral sense, but in a logical sense. Seriously, she's fifteen or sixteen? The majority of teenagers complain about how unfair their life is and woe is me, my parents are jerks and I hate everything. I'm not saying that attitude shouldn't be discouraged, but shooting up her laptop is completely counter-productive: she's not going to think "Hmm, this has taught me a very valuable lesson!", she's going to think "Oh my God, Dad, NOW I HATE YOU EVEN MORE." You've now given her a perfectly valid reason to complain because holy shit dude, you just shot up her laptop. That's definitely something most people would take issue with.

I think he obviously intends well, but really, how efficient and successful is this guy's style of parenting? By his own admission, he spent $130 on upgrading her laptop. How is this teaching her the responsibility he was preaching in the video? Stop spoiling her and giving her free laptop upgrades, then. Not to mention, how much of this could have been resolved by actually communicating and talking to one another, instead of releasing a YouTube video that the father even admits that she might never discover? It's called "reaching a compromise", and it's what responsible adults should try to do.

I'd rather have him shoot the laptop than his daughter... Anyway I'm glad he was man enough to not go and hit his daughter like some other "father" we all know....

Nikolaz72:

You know what my father did often that made me scared? He punched the wall. Now sure, this might not harm anyone physically. But it hurts a -lot- emotionally. Because you can see his angry and such and you fear he might bring that fist to you. -Now imagine a gun- And electricity flying around. If it was me I would hate the guy and be scarred for life, guns are not a parrenting tool. And anyone who thinks so is a phsycopath.

Shadows too. Those are scary as hell. And don't get me started on flying electricity...

considering he shot it to the ground and not at his daughter I think he practiced firearm safety.
OT
this guy rules but it would have made more impact if he destroyed the laptop infront of her eyes.

Shotgun Guy:

Ramzal:
What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this? A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy. I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons! His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And people say the young are stupid.

I had a similar opinion, I even commented on the video saying something similar to this, I got top comment for a few seconds and ended up with about twelve angry replies. Other than using a gun improperly I also mentioned how petty and immature this "lesson" was, his daughter will only learn hatred from this, this isn't a mature, sensible response an adult should have. She was a brat but at least she is a CHILD, he is supposed to be an adult and not act out like this. He's essentially ruined his daughters life for the next few years, she won't live this down.

I don't consider someone fifteen going on sixteen a child. By that point they are a young adult and should start acting like an adult. I doubt he ruined her life for the next few years. If she stops being lazy and gets a job she could pry buy a new laptop and pay her father back within four or five months. He did state in the beginning of the video she did this before as well. I do think he acted rather harshly but at the same time his daughter should have learned her lesson the first time.

While I understand where most of you saying that this is an extremely over the top reaction to a daughter simply being disrespectful, I think it would be worth it to note that this isn't the first time she had done something like that and he had warned her. As a teenager, no one is stupider than your parents. They know nothing, and they are far below you. Sitting down and talking won't accomplish anything, because the girl wouldn't have approached her dad as showing he was above her and that he was in charge. She probably, like I know I was at 15, would've been dismissive and condescending. He couldn't exactly approach his daughter like an adult because she wasn't acting like one, nor is she one.

I think what he did was extremely effective, but posting a video would've been a bit much. When I was young, my dad did a lot of things that taught me that he was ultimately in charge. He never punched kicked or anything etc, but I know I acted up many times and he destroyed a game disk of mine (which I assume he bought), he destroyed a chair, he also bought, and a fan, which he also bought. I know I was being a snot nosed brat, and it taught me that these were my dad's things he gave to me; I did not earn them, I was given them because he loved me. Most of that sunk in though when I got a job and started paying for my own things too.

That was... AWESOME! Now, I'm very protective of technology. I wince when people drop ipods that they've shelled out nearly $300 for, so unloading 9 rounds into a laptop SHOULD send me into a catatonic state. I'll admit that it's sad to see a laptop get destroyed like that, but that self-entitled wench deserved it all for that post. I cannot stand kids who think they own the world, so I love seeing their world come crashing down around them.

DarkishFriend:
While I understand where most of you saying that this is an extremely over the top reaction to a daughter simply being disrespectful, I think it would be worth it to note that this isn't the first time she had done something like that and he had warned her. As a teenager, no one is stupider than your parents. They know nothing, and they are far below you. Sitting down and talking won't accomplish anything, because the girl wouldn't have approached her dad as showing he was above her and that he was in charge. She probably, like I know I was at 15, would've been dismissive and condescending. He couldn't exactly approach his daughter like an adult because she wasn't acting like one, nor is she one.

I think what he did was extremely effective, but posting a video would've been a bit much. When I was young, my dad did a lot of things that taught me that he was ultimately in charge. He never punched kicked or anything etc, but I know I acted up many times and he destroyed a game disk of mine (which I assume he bought), he destroyed a chair, he also bought, and a fan, which he also bought. I know I was being a snot nosed brat, and it taught me that these were my dad's things he gave to me; I did not earn them, I was given them because he loved me. Most of that sunk in though when I got a job and started paying for my own things too.

I agree. I take no issue at all with his method, he was clearly calm and in control when he shot the laptop, and did it safely. To be honest I'm surprised most people seem shocked at him shooting the laptop, rather than him posting the video like that. I thought that was going way too far...I mean, I've been to 4chan before, we've all heard of how the kind of attention people in viral videos (and other internet celebrities) get is very rarely a good thing...

But, in fairness, he didn't intend this to happen, he meant to put the video up so the people who saw his daughters facebook post could see it; he didn't intend to point the spotlight of the entire internet on his daughter. Makes more sense when thought about that way, but it's still not something I would do.

omega 616:
I will always think American's are bat shit crazy as long as they allow any moron who can pull a trigger the right to own a killing machine.

I say that with a heap of ignorance 'cos I am not sure what hoops you have to jump through to get hold of a gun. From the media coming out of said country the only hoop is waiting a few days to pick up the actual gun after buying it.

You also pick some really weird things to ban ...

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/934910_700b.jpg

I also heard wal mart banned a scissor sisters CD for it's lyrics, doesn't the same store also sell guns and CD's from artists like 50 cent and eminem, who swear, use words like "nigga" and aren't exactly woman friendly.

Anyway more on topic. Going redneck on a laptop is little "typical American" but FPSRussia does shit like this all the time.

America is not the only place this happens...

To Mr. Mrs. Eri McPosterson above me 'cause I don't know how to circumcise posts and I don't know how to quote within quotes and remove bits from quotes without completely ruining the quote with my circumcision and I don't want the post to be super duper long like a horse penis so I just spoiler it instead and go on with this rambling about not wanting it to be super duper long.

I'd just like to point out that high-powered laser pointers were banned because they were being pointed at airplanes. You can still buy and own regular novelty laser points, but nothing high-powered or with a range of over 50 meters in pitch black darkness. Can't really comment on the knife thing because I don't know a lot about knives and all the gibbercock about knives.

Shawn MacDonald:
Is he an asshole for shooting the laptop, sure. He is also my hero for teaching his self entitled bitch of a daughter a lesson.

Put yourself in his daughter's position. Are you going to think "gee, i guess i was wrong, i'd better clean up my act. Thanks, dad" or would you pretty much resent him for the rest of your life?

The lesson here is that swooping to lower than a kids' level of immaturity to fix your problems is not something you'd want to do.

i was raised by a single father and I had way more chores than this girl so i'm glad she was punished but there are better ways to do it. coming from a country where guns are illegal ( england ) he could have just made her read the post infront of the whole family intervention style

ChocoFace:

Shawn MacDonald:
Is he an asshole for shooting the laptop, sure. He is also my hero for teaching his self entitled bitch of a daughter a lesson.

Put yourself in his daughter's position. Are you going to think "gee, i guess i was wrong, i'd better clean up my act. Thanks, dad" or would you pretty much resent him for the rest of your life?

The lesson here is that swooping to lower than a kids' level of immaturity to fix your problems is not something you'd want to do.

Hey maybe she won't act like a self entitled bitch and stop taking her parents for granted. All things will heal in time. Literally think she will be mad at him forever, fuck no. She will be moody and pissed off because that is what you do at that age. Probably think to herself, hey maybe I should not slander my folks on the internet. All I got to say is that it is his property, he can do what he wants with it. Really affected by this then maybe you should man up. Can't stand this bullshit anymore with soft parenting. Say grow a pair and get ready for the outside world because it will mess you up faster than you can say wet blanket.

He should have taken the laptop to his daughters school and given it , formatted and with a clean windows install on it, to the most disadvantaged child in the place to punish his daughter. I know he was angry, i understand that, but seriously destroying the hardware that you just finished fixing is wasteful and stupid.

wow ppl care about this rubbish??

I always thought that the use of guns in the USA is excessive, and for me this is just unacceptable for any civilized country.

The moment you find yourself using a lethal weapon as a parenting tool you fail at fatherhood.

Ramzal:

I'm not saying firing at an object is wrong. He's discharging it simply out of anger at his daughter. It's one thing to do something like that for practice, or even as a hobby. This was done out of anger. A gun should not be used like that.

People have been killed because of misused of a firearm under anger and rage. How is this leading by example for his child? "If you're mad, or you need to prove a point, go shoot something?" And yes, my example is strong but it has a point. You shouldn't use something lethal to prove a point. I'm sorry, did you say "misguided?" I've learned my discipline with weapons and firearms from the U.S. Navy as well as martial arts.

Both taught that it is not--by any means, right to use a weapon to prove a point. You are arguing from a point of consequence, many crimes come without proper consequence, does that make them alright? People lose their homes and lives due to corporate interest, does that make it alright?

Thing is, it's entirely possible that he was using the gun "for effect".

When you think about it, he says it himself that the video is more for "people who think she's cool for being rebellious", than for his daughter.

Is he angry as he speaks? Judging by how he chokes up occasionally, I'd say yes, he probably is. But that doesn't mean everything he does is controlled by it.

As for his use of a firearm, well, it seems to me he did in a controllable environment, being able to see more than a hundred meters in any direction, and shooting at what looks like a 45 angle downwards.

I've seen people do crazier(dumber) shit with guns on YouTube before.

EDIT: Should note, I don't agree with his method of parenting, I'm only addressing the use of a firearm.

I thought it was awesome. I don't see why this is such a frowned upon use of a gun, its not like its any worse than going into some hills and shooting beer cans.

I was in disbelief when he actually shot the laptop. But after reading his FAQ's, he seems like a classy dude... with his own sense of discipline

you know, in 3rd world countries or eastern asia, such behavior (by the daughter) would bring such fierce physical punishment that she wouldn't forget for the rest of her life. not to say that she will forget this, but unloading a gun into a laptop is (i believe) a very tame punishment against her in comparison ....

Bit overkill destroying the laptop, what being worth probably hundreds of dollars that he probably paid for
But still she deserved it, talking behind your parents backs, making rude comments about those who pay for your everything and expecting money just for doing chores.
Yeah, she deserved all of it.

Vuliev:
While I don't condone unloading an entire 9mm clip into a laptop, his exposal and rebuttal is perfectly fine. Every teen needs to have the "don't be a spoiled brat" lesson, and this way is particularly effective.

I would have snapped the laptop over my knee on camera instead.

EDIT: Now that I think rationally about it, I would have confronted my daughter, than snapped the laptop over my knee in front of her. No YouTube.

RAKtheUndead:

Shawn MacDonald:

This, this, a thousand times this. Sometimes, you need a bit of tough love - and when you've got a modern-day self-entitled bitch to sort out, you've got to be very tough.

I think he over did it. Discipline is one thing and hell, if he bought her the laptop I think he was fine in putting some bullets in it and breaking it just to send a message. What concerns me is that his parenting is over-zealous and refuses to acknowledge his daughter's emotional state. He needs to actually have a conversation with her, explain to her why she shouldn't feel the way she does and ask her why she felt that way in the first place. Punish her, fine, but do it in a way that's fair. All he's going to accomplish is alienating his daughter and making the obvious gulf between them even wider.

That said, I suppose I'd prefer he actually does go a little insane over this than have another retarded, self entitled MTV slut running around, but he isn't helping half as much as he thinks he is. I'm totally okay with the gun thing, like someone said earlier here, YouTubers like FPSrussia pull this crap all the time, but this isn't good parenting. It's a bad idea disguised by good rhetoric, which I suppose is par for the course in what is clearly a Republican State =P

He is awesome daughter is kinda dumb and got caught being kinda dumb. the world needs more dudes willing to shoot up laptops to protect the world from dumb kids. He should also shoot her make up stand when she starts dolling herself up to the nines and her wardrobe for when she starts dressing like a slag so that he doesnt have to shoot her boyfriends she she starts sleeping around

Ramzal:

What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

Whoa now. Hold on right fucking there. Are you kidding me?

I am 100% for gun control, and am fine with stricter control on who exactly is able to go out and buy a firearm.

But right here, what you are complaining about, is ridiculous. This is seriously one of the most pointless complaints I've ever seen. I am at a loss for words.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this?

Abso-fucking-lutely. He was never careless with the weapon, he wasn't using it violently towards any person, and he was safe with it the entire time. He lost count of the shots he fired, so what? Him being angry has nothing to do with bullet count. I never keep track of how many rounds I fire when I shoot.

A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy.

How exactly was he using this as a toy? Where did you get the idea in your head that guns are only used to shoot at people? What, are we not allowed to shoot at firing ranges now? Guns are certainly used to destroy. That's sort of the whole idea of bullets.

I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons!

No, people hate our country because our military is policing the world, and our populace has some of the worst foreign awareness out there. A good deal of countries out there let their populace have guns.

Sure, the people who say "All-American dad!" in the comments are stupid, but that's just because people who say anything "All-American" are probably in the midst of putting down something from another country.

His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And guess what? You will most likely never see her say anything naughty on the internet again. Because quite frankly, what with the public humiliation and the fact that her computer has more holes than an Air-tight Lindsey Lohan, she sure as shit learned her lesson.

I thought it was brilliant. A father who was literally fed up with her spoiled child's bullshit, and no other punishment was working, came up with a creative way of dealing with it. In a perfectly safe environment, he destroyed the computer that he bought with his own money with a firearm. If he had done it with a bat, or an axe, would you say those should be banned? No, of course not.

I once believed that a gun should be a right, however after seeing how he used his firearm and people's encouragement of his action, I now believe that having a gun should be treated as a privilege instead of a right.

Guess who's not getting any recommendations for Congress? If you treat your weapon as something sacred that should only be used in dire emergencies, good for you. But bitching about someone using creative methods of punishment that did not involve harming his daughter in any way, that's where I put my foot down. This type of behavior is completely harmless.

You want to complain about guns, complain about him not wearing eye or ear protection.

I am an American, and I DO NOT agree with this man's methods of use of a firearm, nor raising a child.

You try using passive aggressive means for getting a kid to listen to you. Get back to me and tell me how that works.

Deserved it. No physical harm involved, man got to take out his frustration on what was rightfully his (and therefore no one can tell him how to use it), kid got poetic justice handed out and so on. I see nothing wrong with this. I am in fact amazed by the amount of people going "this wasn't right because he destroyed his laptop with a gun". That's just outright overreacting for no solid reason.

It's cool. Now if, at the end of the video, he just grabbed his gun and shot the laptop in a fit of anger, that'd be different. He planned this so that it would be safe and that the only consequence would be a destroyed laptop and he could live with that cost apparently. I personally wouldn't destroy it but that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do.

I'm not even remotely mad about what he did with the laptop or the gun or even what his reaction was.

My only thoughts were "That laptop: all that money gone." Definitely would've been better to give it to charity, but I guess that's the beauty of hindsight.

Holy shit. This guy is so totally unjustified in doing this.
People are saying that you need to have a "Don't be a brat" talk with your kids and teach them a lesson. Instead of this bullshit macho bravado parenting fantasy you could just do it the hard way and raise your damn kids well in the first place instead of doing something dramatic, over the top and childish like this that only breeds hatred in your kid for you. You think his daughter saw this and went "Oh, wow, yeah, I see how I was wrong and ungrateful, I'll try and be better from now on!"? Fuck no! She probably freaked out that her dad was such a gun-toting neanderthal.

Things like this don't teach anyone anything, it just breeds lament and distrust between parent and child - Especially since the dad CLEARLY went behind his daughter's back on this. He "came by" her facebook post after admitting he was an IT expert? Things like this do not help your kid trust you! A lying, conniving parent who pulls of scare tactics like this is not going to do any good.
I especially like the way he insinuates she was being rebellious and looking for attention as he unloads into her laptop to make a point - He couldn't be more of a hypocrite! Why the hell do you think she's like that if this guy is her dad?

If my parents ever caught me making a bitchy, bratty post like this they'd probably just sit me down and tell me it was a shitty thing to do and ask what the hell was I thinking.

Besides, any good parent would know that if the girl's bitching about her parents on facebook where they can't see it, it's because she wants to be cool in front of her friends. Damn it, it's all stemming from insecurity which this whole damn event is just going to aggravate. These things aren't easy with teenage girls, life is pretty tough when you're part of the group of people that most frequently experiences depression! (Not that I am one, but it's true)

My point is that this doesn't teach a lesson. Okay, maybe it teaches "Don't fuck with your dad, missy." But who does that help? Well done, you've intimidated your teenage daughter. You should get a fucking medal. It doesn't let the kid know why what she did was wrong, it doesn't help the parents understand their kid and more importantly, it just broadens the gap between parents and kids. Is this the man she'd go to with a problem? Is this the dad she seeks comfort from, she'd tell a secret to, she'd confide in? No, this is the just the jerk-off who used an actual firearm to intimidate his daughter.

I'm no fan of guns but I see their necessity in certain situations and as the OP said, they are a tool, not a toy. This childish brand of coercion tactics is not the appropriate usage of a live firearm.

It actually worries how many people consider this to be a liable parenting tactic. It's not because it scares the girl, yes she was mostly in the wrong here, this is not a liable parenting tactic because it doesn't fucking help. She is more than likely just going to end up trying to get back at her parents at some point, or being too scared to do so and harboring fear and resentment for them on some level for years.
I guarantee that one day this guy will be sitting alone in an old house or retirement home with his gun wondering why the hell his kids never call, and damn straight, too.

I hate bratty kids as much as anyone else, probably more than most (not a kid person), but I hate idiotic parents who care more about looking cool than doing the right thing even moreso.

Ramzal:
If you can't get a point across to your kid with your own voice and reasoning, and you KNOW they are in the wrong then you have failed your child as a parent. If you need to use a weapon to prove a point to that child after that you have failed harder because of showing your kids a lack of restraint, and showing you have all the power because you gave birth to them and you hold that weapon. There is nothing that will come of this but resentment. And I wouldn't blame Hanna.

Taking away the laptop or selling it would have been fine enough. Use of a weapon is not acceptable parenting for TEACHING A CHILD A LESSON.

Exactly right. I totally agree with what you're saying in this thread.

JoesshittyOs:
He was never careless with the weapon, he wasn't using it violently towards any person, and he was safe with it the entire time.

From a psychological standpoint, he basically used the gun to threaten his daughter, so he sort of did use it towards someone.

I'm not saying that the exact circumstance he used the weapon in is the worst thing - I don't even think that's what the OP is talking about. Rather, this circumstance demonstrates how flippantly the man uses a gun. It demonstrates a mindset I find very, very worrying. If this is what the guy will do in a premeditated manner when he's pissed about something his little girl did, who knows how far he'll go if it's an act of passion? Throw a small amount of alcohol in there, and what are the limits? How do we know that in a heated argument he won't whip this shit out and blast a hole in the ceiling out of anger?
Like I said, if this is what people will do in a calm, calculated manner with guns (use it as a scare tactic because their daughter said something rude) then it's a pretty scary indication of what people would do with guns when they aren't calm or calculated. It's even more worrying how many people see this as justified an logical.

So...from what I have taken from people who disagree with me is "He used it in a controlled environment." Which is debatable, because you can in fact see cars driving by in the background. So it is up to a person who would have to be there to judge if it is controlled or not. Seeing as we were not there, it is hard to judge if it was a safe area to use it or not.

"It is legal for him to discharge where it is safe, namely on his own property." I agree. It is. It is perfectly legal for him to discharge a firearm on his own property (Depending on where you live.) However, it's a question of why you are discharging said gun. If you are doing it for practice, that's fine. Do that. I have stated once before that recreational use of a gun there is no problem with that. Practice teaches you discipline as well as it can be something that builds your personality. Nothing wrong with that.

What bugs me is not only his action, but peoples reactions to his actions of using that firearm as he did. People who are American and stating that "Yeah! I would have done that too, but with my 12 gauge!" How does this send a positive message to people about our society? How does firing a weapon to teach someone a lesson become standard? He felt that his authority as her father was being challenged (Which, he has every right to feel that way.) So he used a weapon to respond to that. That can be very easily be translated into a threat.

Let me put this as plainly as I can. "Restraint" is the key word. You should have the restraint to not have to take a tool like a gun, and not use it for what it's purpose is. That's part of the discipline of having one is. If you missed that part, you should not be holding a gun or using one. Hell, using a gun to provide for your family, nothing is wrong with that either. If you are hunting to eat, there is nothing wrong with that.

However he is proving a point with it, violently and sends a message of "I am a father, and I have a gun so I can do as I please." Honestly, if it were him and his group of people who felt that was the right action, that's fine enough. But you've got people in mass number agreeing fully with this method. That if you feel you are being undermined, using something like a gun is good enough to get a point across. How about you give a knife to a kid, tell him that if you stab it into a slice of meat in front of guys who have been picking on him, it will show them that he means business and to leave him alone? Or if you have a roommate who--say leaves a cup on the table in a living room. Should you take that cup and place it on the stairs where your roommate comes down to teach him a lesson?

Again, while it is him who bothers me with his use of a gun...it is these people who agree and think you should use a gun to prove a -point- that disturbs me. Also I am being challenged on what I stated. That if you have a right, and you abuse it, it should be taken away from -you-. Isn't that what this father is doing to his daughter? She has a right to a computer, in his home, using his resources, he felt she was abusing that right and took it away.

Look, I am not stating that no one should have guns. I've never said that. HOWEVER, I am stating that there should be situations defined and listed as ways to responsibly use your firearm. And if you break that, that right that you had now became a privilege. This man recorded his use of the firearm and honestly it's not proper given the situation. Being flagged for that use and if it happens again, having it taken away is not outrageous. In fact that is exactly what he is doing to his daughter.

Past that, it's plain overkill. It's like lighting your birthday cake candles with a dragon's fire breath. Or mowing your lawn with a nuclear weapon. If you can't get a point across to your kid with your own voice and reasoning, and you KNOW they are in the wrong then you have failed your child as a parent. If you need to use a weapon to prove a point to that child after that you have failed harder because of showing your kids a lack of restraint, and showing you have all the power because you gave birth to them and you hold that weapon. There is nothing that will come of this but resentment. And I wouldn't blame Hanna.

Taking away the laptop or selling it would have been fine enough. Use of a weapon is not acceptable parenting for TEACHING A CHILD A LESSON.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked