Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 20 NEXT

Ramzal:

Never seen someone so hardheaded in my life. I'd have better luck arguing with a wall.

Translation: I was just told a variety of reasons why my argument is flawed and won't try to counter any of the points made because I can't.

OT: A little excessive to make a point? Sure. I think that's fair to say.

But it sure as hell makes a point.

Can't say I blame the guy, the kid was clearly being ungrateful for what her parents were doing for her.

My only question is: how does she see the video if she doesn't have a computer?

There's too many people empathizing with the daughter in this thread, and I'm not even going to go into why people are making such a massive meal out his use of a firearm (even though I'm anti-gun ownership, seriously, he was just using it to make a point)

Clearly a lot of people here are in their 'rebellious teen' stage, and think that any parents punishment is evil. This is the same thing as banning the use of a laptop (which I'm sure a lot of parents do), but he just did it in a manner to show he meant business this time. I'd never be so ungrateful to my parents as to take them for granted like that, literally using what he just spent a lot of his money on to complain about how much of a terrible person he is. Although I think he has quite a harsh parenting style, its his choice.

Also, she is STUPID to do the exact same thing she had been punished for 3 months ago, having full knowledge that her dad could see it like he did before, and knowing that he said there would be consequences if it happened again. At least don't post it for everybody to see if you're going to be an ungrateful daughter.

mellemhund:

Dramerc:
@all the liberls on here

Britain is in Chaos because of the unruly youth like her the riots and hell people being knifed kids needs to be hit it does them no harm aslong as they fully understand so he did the right thing in my mind cause the kid has to learn the hard way eventually this was the last straw she never listened or obeyed the rules she was warned time and time again that it'd be worse and she just had to have that go in conclusion she got what she bloody deserved and idc what the liberal wankers say the country is in hell cause of them

EDIT

BEFORE ANYONE miss qoutes me like last time read the LIKE HER bit didn't blame her for the riots i blamed kids LIKE HER

She's acting like a perfectly normal teenager. Old people have always blamed the troubles of the world on them. IF you think that anyone acting like her has anything to do with the riots in England, then you do not understand the first thing about how societies work.

Harsh punishments handed out long time after a warning does little to nothing to prevent actions. But both politicians and parents are too uninformed to try any other thing. The dad in this case have pent up anger that he let loose instead of actually doing a job of raising a kid.

You are on the same level. "hitting kids will teach them not to be violent" If you can't see the problem there, then you are beyond help. Raising kids should be done not with threats, but with firm boundaries, which make them feel safe. Letting them do something some of the time and then suddenly punishing them hard will make them anxious and violent, diminishing their ability to interact properly with others.

Parents need to learn to parent. Politicians need to listen to experts instead of going on gut feelings. And then we'll begin to actually see a positive change. And it all start with you!

Removing privileges is a "harsh" punishment? She's lucky to have any computer AT ALL! I didn't have a personal computer when I was 15 and the computer I did have access to I didn't use to bad mouth my parents for the basic personal chores I had to do. I was raised not to have my parents ask for a coffee/tea when they come home from a hard day of work, I knew to offer to boil the kettle and make them a tea.

This parent set firm boundaries and they were broken with the consequences clear enough.

He never hit her. Corporal punishment isn't really relevant here.

Typical american father: Unable to handle dissent, immediately resorts to violence instead of actual arguments, big on humilation, complete failure to actually treat expensive things as, you know, expensive (which is further education FAIL).

This is why the daughter is rotten (if she even is: Considering what a douchebag the dad is, this sounds doubtful). Complete education failure on part of the parents, which the father demonstrates nicely here.

Obviously she has no respect for him when he reacts like a 4 year old throwing a tantrum.

Ramzal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kl1ujzRidmU

I have already posted about this. So I will just take what I posted and put it here:

What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this? A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy. I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons! His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And people say the young are stupid.

I once believed that a gun should be a right, however after seeing how he used his firearm and people's encouragement of his action, I now believe that having a gun should be treated as a privilege instead of a right. I am an American, and I DO NOT agree with this man's methods of use of a firearm, nor raising a child.

Edit: However, chores are fine. Go chores.

American man with gun does not know how to parent... I am surprise!

>_>

DressedInRags:
[quote="Edible Avatar" post="18.348003.13853728"]snipith [/qoute]
Neither of us have ever had a child in their life. But hey, if you're allowed to talk like you have a clue what a "good parent" should do these days, then I think I'll jump on board as well.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on what he did as though it was the best possible way for the man to make a point.

It wasn't.

Making a youtube video which not only berates her but involves firing several rounds into the girl's laptop with a gun is not, by any means, the kind of thing any reasonable, rational or responsible parent would do.

If the girl has been getting away with her crap for long enough to be able to compile a list of her parent's day-to-day complaints, then the fault doesn't lie with the girl, not entirely, anyways.

Everyone seems to be approaching this particular situation as though the parents have been saddled with some horrible gremlin, but someone doesn't start acting this bratty unless the parents have failed to step in at some point.

Now, every single complaint the guy has about her attitude is 100% reasonable. I'm not disputing that. But for christ's sake, his daughter didn't end up like this for no reason. At one point he says "now i warned you, months ago..." that's hardly pro-active parenting, is it? That's hardly dealing with the issue at hand.

So she's had a warning a few months ago, and has since been able to carry on with the same shit every single day. Hell, we even know her father actually upgraded her laptop for her. Why didn't he say "cut this shit out, because you don't get your laptop until you do" ages ago? how did this go on so long if he's the hard-nosed parent he makes out he is? Why on earth did he do a favour to his daughter by upgrading her laptop for her when he thinks she acts like a brat? How can he be indignant when she carries on this way for so long? there would have been a point at which her parents should have said "I guess we have no-one to blame but ourselves for letting her get away with this for so long, time to do something about it...."

And then there's his method of finally dealing with it. Instead of acting like a grown man and confronting his daughter, outlining his complaints, making it VERY clear she abides by his rules and the confiscating her laptop until she complies (or even selling it + anything else he bought her that she thinks she has a right to have), he instead creates the kind of "take that" public response more suited to a teenager.

I have nothing against him letting his punishment be public, but the manner in which he does this is just reactionary. It isn't "OK, I'm going to straighten out my daughter" or "Now I'm going to let her know just how hard we worked for her".

Instead, goes on youtube. he begins by making an argument which would sound entirely reasonable if he just made said argument to her face, alongside her mother. Getting the girl's stepmother in on it would be handy as well

And then... for fuck's sake, he shoots several rounds into her laptop and then sits down, visibly upset, and...

...I don't even know. This isn't rational or responsible, he marred a perfectly reasonable speech to his daughter by doing it via the internet and then acting like a child. It seems like this guy is just at war with his own kid, or that he doesn't know how to take responsbility for her, and has to resort to petty actions like this to spite her as opposed to laying down the rules and setting any kind of reasonable, admirable example to her.

This wasn't discipline, this was him acting petty because he couldn't control himself. That's without even going into the issue of an angry, upset grown man using a loaded gun for an act of childish vengeance....

No wonder she keeps acting out...

I appreciate your detailed response (Yes, i read the whole thing), but I think his actions are still justified. He bought her $130 worth of upgrades (probably the laptop itself too), then she goes to facebook and bashes her family in detail. The point that this guy was making is that this is unacceptable behavior (posting details and insults about her family to the public), and as a result, you are going to be given a punishment that you will remember. Hell, she lives with her father, she should know his standards and what is considered crossing the line (at least i did, don't know about you guys).

Shooting it? That gets the point across effectively, and shows that he's not messing around. Selling it or giving it away would'nt make as much as a impact. Trauma, harsh as it sounds, leaves a lasting impression on the brain, kinda hard to forget. (Think about it like this, the whole thing would'nt have hit the front page of Youtube if he gave it or sold it away).

volX:
The guy is crazy, he copmpletely overreacts to his daughter beeing a stupid teenager and people like him, or generally people who wear cowboy hats shouldnt be allowed to have a gun. Actually nobody who isnt there to protect people should carry a gun.

edit: after reading the comments here im sure to be careful, when/if i come to america.

Eh guns are a lot less prevalent than people would have you think in the states. I have a concealed carry permit and have made use of it every single day since I got it. If I go to lunch or to eat or where ever and happen to have my MOB (Middle of the Back) Holster on it's horribly uncomfortable when I go to sit down and I have to take it off. Believe me I get all kinds of funny looks when people notice a holstered gun sitting on the table.

The bottom line is most people in the states are squeamish about guns too. I grew up around them. I learned to shoot before I learned to ride a bike and I've carried a gun since I was legally allowed. However, I am a huge exception to the norm. Most people in the states want nothing to do with them.

The daughter has presumably been raised by him and whatever significant others he may have had, so I believe that they're to blame if the daughter is acting up. He has also escalated the situation out of all proportion.

I don't know how many friends of the daughter saw the offending post, but as I write, the youtube clip is at almost 13.5 million views. It's airing your dirty laundry on an epic scale and somewhat akin to being pelted with rotten fruit in the village square.

With regards to the destruction of the laptop, I personally believe that the method is irrelevant.

It's petty and spiteful to destroy an expensive item to make a point in that manner. It would have been better to give the computer to a deserving child who could have made good use of it, or a charity.

Shooting the thing on youtube makes him appear a self-aggrandizing prick.

You see, this is why it's illegal to own a handgun in Britain, because of idiots.

Treblaine:

mellemhund:

Dramerc:
@all the liberls on here

Britain is in Chaos because of the unruly youth like her the riots and hell people being knifed kids needs to be hit it does them no harm aslong as they fully understand so he did the right thing in my mind cause the kid has to learn the hard way eventually this was the last straw she never listened or obeyed the rules she was warned time and time again that it'd be worse and she just had to have that go in conclusion she got what she bloody deserved and idc what the liberal wankers say the country is in hell cause of them

EDIT

BEFORE ANYONE miss qoutes me like last time read the LIKE HER bit didn't blame her for the riots i blamed kids LIKE HER

She's acting like a perfectly normal teenager. Old people have always blamed the troubles of the world on them. IF you think that anyone acting like her has anything to do with the riots in England, then you do not understand the first thing about how societies work.

Harsh punishments handed out long time after a warning does little to nothing to prevent actions. But both politicians and parents are too uninformed to try any other thing. The dad in this case have pent up anger that he let loose instead of actually doing a job of raising a kid.

You are on the same level. "hitting kids will teach them not to be violent" If you can't see the problem there, then you are beyond help. Raising kids should be done not with threats, but with firm boundaries, which make them feel safe. Letting them do something some of the time and then suddenly punishing them hard will make them anxious and violent, diminishing their ability to interact properly with others.

Parents need to learn to parent. Politicians need to listen to experts instead of going on gut feelings. And then we'll begin to actually see a positive change. And it all start with you!

Removing privileges is a "harsh" punishment? She's lucky to have any computer AT ALL! I didn't have a personal computer when I was 15 and the computer I did have access to I didn't use to bad mouth my parents for the basic personal chores I had to do. I was raised not to have my parents ask for a coffee/tea when they come home from a hard day of work, I knew to offer to boil the kettle and make them a tea.

This parent set firm boundaries and they were broken with the consequences clear enough.

He never hit her. Corporal punishment isn't really relevant here.

Did you miss the part where he has grounded her several times? Or where he's talking about her not having a laptop until college? He never hit her you say - looking at his anger I say it's matter of time. He's not setting firm boundaries. He's retaliating like a fool when his anger is worked up. instead of handling it when it happens.

And so what if she badmouthed her parents? that's normal and only because her dad snooped around her facebook (which she apparently had blocked him from) did he find out? What if she had written it in a diary or he had heard her tell a friend over the phone?
If you claim you never had any bad things to say about your parents, growing up, I have to call you out as a liar.

All I see in the video is a fail parent and a hoard of fail-parents in waiting cheering him on. And people still don't see why the kids aren't getting raised alright. The capacity for human stupidity is apparently endless.

mad825:

Trillovinum:

mad825:
Eh, I would've done a similar thing. I would clout a few arrow/bolts into it and I'll be more indiscriminate by using broad-tips. Even if I didn't have a bow/crossbow, I would've used a sledgehammer or similar hitting tool.

I honestly don't see your point and comes across as zealous. He got angry and used his method to destroy the object like anybody would have.

What i don't get is why it should be 'destroyed' in the first place.

Good question, a man named Freud would say it's an defence mechanism; Displacement.

a man named 'feud'?
but hey well... I'm not here for an arguement.

mellemhund:
She's acting like a perfectly normal teenager.

And just because it's expected doesn't mean it's excused.

An issue we have today is that 18-year-olds are not adults. Maturity and responsibility come with experience, not age. Kids used to have more responsibilities and more experiences, so they were building toward adulthood just a shade earlier.

Today, we have so many conveniences that kids usually don't have as much responsibility. And I don't blame parents for that -- they want their kids to have better than they did -- but we need to watch for the unfortunate side effects. It means sometimes parents have to find new ways to wake up responsibility in their near-adults.

It's normal for teens to think they've got it all figured out. It's normal for them to feel they are victims of the world. Hurricanes are also normal, but does that mean we don't do anything to prevent the potential damage?

Harsh punishments handed out long time after a warning does little to nothing to prevent actions.

This isn't about "preventing actions." This is about "communicating a truth to someone who is just a couple short years from the real world." And this punishment, while delivered in a very theatrical manner, is not all that harsh. He took back HIS laptop, because she was using it to spew trash about the people that provided it to her. And he destroyed it, so that she could understand:

1. The gravity of this lesson. He was willing to part with hundreds of dollars of equipment and software in order to prove this point.
2. That some losses aren't temporary. Being grounded is temporary. Having the laptop taken away is temporary.

The dad in this case have pent up anger that he let loose instead of actually doing a job of raising a kid.

I see a very calm man executing a very calculated plan in a very safe manner. It's okay to disagree with his methods without falsely painting him as some "loose cannon" just because there happened to be a gun. Not all people and families grow up a way that makes them absolutely terrified of anything gun-shaped.

"hitting kids will teach them not to be violent" If you can't see the problem there, then you are beyond help. Raising kids should be done not with threats, but with firm boundaries, which make them feel safe. Letting them do something some of the time and then suddenly punishing them hard will make them anxious and violent, diminishing their ability to interact properly with others.

Or so said a textbook somewhere once.

1. Spanking isn't about "teaching them not to be violent." When used with young pre-verbal kids, or even verbal children who don't grasp higher concents yet, it's just used to stop a behavior. And, in a lot of cases, it works. My mom could have just let me touch the iron and learn my lesson. Or she could have moved every unsafe object to somewhere out of my reach... thus teaching me that anything I can reach is, in fact, fair game. Or, as she did, she could pop me on the hand and say, "No!," and I would learn that when she said not to touch it, she meant it.

Does it work in every situation? Of course not. I can't use a hammer to drive screws, I can't use a screwdriver to cut wood. It's one tool in the box. Does it get improperly used? Sure. So does "time out."

2. Firm boundaries require "threats." Because all a "threat" does is provide the consequences in advance. "If you do not follow this rule, these things happen." Rules without consequences have no weight or meaning, so they do not provide any boundary on their own. Kids will naturally test rules, and the consequences are what cement the boundary... but since we shouldn't use "threats," what do we do? Just let the kids break every rule, and then punish them so they know the consequence?

3. It's either alarmist or just plain ridiculous to claim it's somehow going to "diminish their ability to interact with others." Consistency is obviously a better way to parent, but Jesus Christ, staying from the path for a moment doesn't instantly doom a child to sociopathy.

But in this case, the father was very consistent. She didn't "get away with it" the last time, and he told her exactly what would happen the next time. Rather than stop, she tried to hide it. She was testing the boundary. So, the responsible and consistent thing for the father to do was follow through on his promise.

This man is parenting. There's not just one way to do it. And by God, at least this man is DOING IT. That's a lot better than the "benign neglect" that characterizes most parents. They coast by for 18 years, believing everything is fine because their kids haven't killed anyone, and then those kids hit the real world and have no sense of perspective or responsibility -- two things that aren't just issued at age 18, but are learned through experience. Those kids are then "parented" as adults, by the real (and unforgiving) world.

The difference? The real world doesn't give a dirty damn if this girl succeeds or fails, and neither do her "friends." This father? He very, very obviously cares whether or not she learns what she needs to, and he's willing to go very far to make sure she does. There is no better definition for parenting (expect, you know, from books written by childless researchers).

Trillovinum:

mad825:

Trillovinum:

What i don't get is why it should be 'destroyed' in the first place.

Good question, a man named Freud would say it's an defence mechanism; Displacement.

a man named 'feud'?
but hey well... I'm not here for an arguement.

Typo :p

It's been corrected since.

I'm Canadian and don't particularly like guns, but I honestly don't see why people are in a huff about it. He was in an empty field, with his own entirely legal gun (or at least I assume). He's not endangering anyone but himself because presumably, he knows how to safely operate his gun. He's just making a very tangible point.

That said, the same effect would be made by breaking it with a good throw at the ground... or a boot to the screen. Either way.. he made his point.

Dastardly:
snip

Completely agree with you. The guy put things in perspective, even if it's a slightly immature way of doing it. It sucks he had to resort to this level of discipline in the first place, but as a kid... you reap what you sow.

They guys seemed pretty controlled and the shooting was made in a controlled enviroment. I don't see the big deal. I liked how his wife told him to shot one round for her xD.

Midgeamoo:
There's too many people empathizing with the daughter in this thread, and I'm not even going to go into why people are making such a massive meal out his use of a firearm (even though I'm anti-gun ownership, seriously, he was just using it to make a point)

Clearly a lot of people here are in their 'rebellious teen' stage, and think that any parents punishment is evil. This is the same thing as banning the use of a laptop (which I'm sure a lot of parents do), but he just did it in a manner to show he meant business this time. I'd never be so ungrateful to my parents as to take them for granted like that, literally using what he just spent a lot of his money on to complain about how much of a terrible person he is. Although I think he has quite a harsh parenting style, its his choice.

Also, she is STUPID to do the exact same thing she had been punished for 3 months ago, having full knowledge that her dad could see it like he did before, and knowing that he said there would be consequences if it happened again. At least don't post it for everybody to see if you're going to be an ungrateful daughter.

If he seriously responds to her daughter being stupid by shooting up her laptop instead of for example cutting her internet access, grounding her, or simply doing something that doesn't involve shooting several thousand dollars to bits... well, he only proves part of her point. That's unequivalently bad parenting right there. Even parents have to earn their kids' respect*.

Yes, if my daughter if she acted like that, she'd hear it. However, if I hadn't already raised her good enough for me to be able to talk some sense into her, then I would have failed as a parent in the first place, and no blowing up her laptops for her not listening to me is going to change that fact, or even help.

*and before anyone jumps the keyboard now, that's not to say you should spoil your kids, that's the best way to ruin that respect.

Dastardly:

I see a very calm man executing a very calculated plan in a very safe manner. It's okay to disagree with his methods without falsely painting him as some "loose cannon" just because there happened to be a gun. Not all people and families grow up a way that makes them absolutely terrified of anything gun-shaped.

I don't think I can argue this with you. The man is stumbling over words because of the adrenaline he got running from acting out his revenge on a daughter he feels slighted him in public. Then he goes theatrical (yay, more great parenting there) and destroys something. whether it would be don't with hammer, hands or guns is irrelevant it a violent action.

Dastardly:

Or so said a textbook somewhere once.

Maybe you should have a closer look at them books some times. Educated people tend to make better decisions on the matters.

Dastardly:

1. Spanking isn't about "teaching them not to be violent."

Letting you reach the hot iron and hitting a kid is 2 completely different things. When kids grow up with violence being an accepted response, they will become more prone to violence. No matter what the intentions of the parents is!

Dastardly:

2. Firm boundaries require "threats." Because all a "threat" does is provide the consequences in advance. "If you do not follow this rule, these things happen." Rules without consequences have no weight or meaning, so they do not provide any boundary on their own. Kids will naturally test rules, and the consequences are what cement the boundary... but since we shouldn't use "threats," what do we do? Just let the kids break every rule, and then punish them so they know the consequence?

So only dictators can raise kids in your POV? the moment you have to resort to threats with kids, you have failed. Firm boundaries are about being a parent from the start and not just waking up to it, when the kids get old enough to form opinions of their own. Instead of threats you have mutual understanding, buts that takes actually talking to your kids and explaining the situation. It's just so much easier to just go "because I'm right" and that's what the fail-parents do.'

Dastardly:

But in this case, the father was very consistent. She didn't "get away with it" the last time, and he told her exactly what would happen the next time. Rather than stop, she tried to hide it. She was testing the boundary. So, the responsible and consistent thing for the father to do was follow through on his promise.

I can't see how you can interpret that in such a way.
1. If she doesn't do her choirs, then he is clearly not confronting her with it when that happens, since he is now set up in a chair outside somewhere and he has had to premeditate this whole "I'll show her" seance. Can we agree on that?
2. If she does them, but complains to her friends about it. then who is he to get upset about it? That reaction is exactly the vengeful bad parent that I would wish on no kid.

If you think broadcasting a theatrical revenge on your kids is parenting, then I hope you neither have nor will ever have any kids. Parents who get their methods from the worst dictators is not fit to be parents.

mad825:
Eh, I would've done a similar thing. I would clout a few arrow/bolts into it and I'll be more indiscriminate by using broad-tips. Even if I didn't have a bow/crossbow, I would've used a sledgehammer or similar hitting tool.

I honestly don't see your point and comes across as zealous. He got angry and used his method to destroy the object like anybody would have.

He wasted what in his own admission was an expensive object. Regardless of wether, or not his anger is justified thats just plain stupid.

The handgun is a moot point to this situation, and one that does seem to be drawing out a lot of anti-gun folks. The key aspect is responding to someone attempting to make a private complaint to her friends (and one that's not unusual for teenagers, that being "Nobody gets Me") by leveling harsh penalties, and then sharing it with the world. And yeah, he probably didn't expect it to go viral, but dude! You admitted to being an IT manager, you should know better.

Anyway, ultimately this is an example of bad parenting, but despite being showy it's ultimately no worse than what a lot of parents do on a daily basis. Certainly not worth the amount of attention it's getting. He's not beating her, he's not abusing her, he's just making a poor decision that's unlikely to get the results that he wants.

*EDIT* Oh hey he's an author. Wonder if this is getting him good publicity or bad.

I feel like the whole gun usage was not the point of the video. He simply used the gun as a tool to follow through on his warnings to his daughter. He is simply not allowing his daughter to use a computer. In this instance, he decided to use a gun; while it is a bit of a waste that he did not just sell it, it is his property and he can do whatever he pleases to it.

As for if he is a "good" parent, which is extremely subjective, making a judgement based on this video alone is very preemptive. We don't know how many times before she has disobeyed him and to what extent, and we also don't know what the father demands of the girl.

And the whole gun-nut American thing... Hoorah for stereotypes!

I thought it was awesome. She sounds like a brat and he sounds like he wants to be able to spoil her to an extent. But she was ungrateful and rude.

The bullets to the laptop was just icing on the cake. And, seriously guys, those of you whining about how he shouldn't have shot the laptop sound a lot like the girl

Naeras:

Midgeamoo:

If he seriously responds to her daughter being stupid by shooting up her laptop instead of for example cutting her internet access, grounding her, or simply doing something that doesn't involve shooting several thousand dollars to bits... well, he only proves part of her point. That's unequivalently bad parenting right there. Even parents have to earn their kids' respect*.

Yes, if my daughter if she acted like that, she'd hear it. However, if I hadn't already raised her good enough for me to be able to talk some sense into her, then I would have failed as a parent in the first place, and no blowing up her laptops for her not listening to me is going to change that fact, or even help.

*and before anyone jumps the keyboard now, that's not to say you should spoil your kids, that's the best way to ruin that respect.

First off, several thousands of dollars? It's not a freaking Mac. Don't exaggerate so much.

Second, if you listen in the video, he does say she's been grounded and punished before. She obviously didn't learn

stinkyrobot:

mad825:

He wasted what in his own admission was an expensive object. Regardless of whether[1], or not his anger is justified thats just plain stupid.

Wasn't really saying that it was smart although not justified? justification is not applicable in this sense as by all means, he owns it and gave it to his daughter as a privilege. Parents would consider it their right to take it away and destroy it if needed be to teach them a lesson.

[1] whether...Sorry

senordesol:

Ramzal:

I'm not saying firing at an object is wrong. He's discharging it simply out of anger at his daughter. It's one thing to do something like that for practice, or even as a hobby. This was done out of anger. A gun should not be used like that.

The weapon was discharged safely with no risk to bystanders. I see no issue. And I'd rather he take his anger out on an object than a person.

In short: no harm done, no foul called.

Agreed. If he wanted to send a message to his daughter's friends on facebook, that would be the way to do it.

Ramzal:
A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy.

Ramzal:
A gun is flat out a lethal tool. No one was in danger nor was he protecting anyone or himself. The fact that so many find this acceptable is deplorable.

Okay, here's the thing: when did "Firearms should only be used as a weapon" become a thing. Yes, they are dangerous and yes you still need to show discipline when using them. But when did this start to mean its somehow wrong for me to enjoy shooting, as an activity? None of you ever went shooting with your dad, or learned how to shoot by plucking away at cans with a .22? Or shit, hunting? Does that fit the new definition of a personal firearm as "for self-defense" only?

I like shooting. I assume this father does too. So what?

I absolutely agree, using a gun is iconic. Thats why it drives his point home much better than it would with a hammer, or an axe. I honestly agree with what he did, posting rants on Facebook is a stupid activity. Better the consequences happen now, when a laptop gets shot, instead of ranting about your boss, and finding out that you've lost your job because of it in the future

Angry Juju:

My only question is: how does she see the video if she doesn't have a computer?

Her friends can show her at school.

MysticToast:

Second, if you listen in the video, he does say she's been grounded and punished before. She obviously didn't learn

Which proves my point about him being a shitty parent in the first place if he's not raised her well enough for her to listen to reason.

Naeras:

MysticToast:

Which proves my point about him being a shitty parent in the first place if he's not raised her well enough for her to listen to reason.

You could be the best parent in the world and there's still a small chance your child will, oh I don't know, have the mental capacity to choose how they want to behave.

I've known total brats with great parents.

mellemhund:
If you think broadcasting a theatrical revenge on your kids is parenting, then I hope you neither have nor will ever have any kids. Parents who get their methods from the worst dictators is not fit to be parents.

The girl was the one that made the choice to start airing out family business in a public forum Her father just gave her a taste of her own medicine. I bet she will think twice now before she chooses to air out family business in such a manner. I would wager she is likely totally and wholly humiliated by this ordeal and rightfully so. She is very likely the laughing stock of her school and is more miserable than she would have ever been with a simple grounding or by having her belongings taken away.

You know why people use public humiliation? Because it's a damn effective form of punishment. If you beat someone the pain subsides. If you lock someone up in their room eventually they adapt and make due. However if you publicly humiliate someone that gets their attention and gives them a Hell of an incentive to keep from fucking up in the future. Psychologically punishing someone works in ways that cuts them to the quick and goes far beyond what your typical punishments will ever accomplish

Look at the picture below. You think that person would have rather paid a fine and put in some time on probation or held that sign out in front of a busy store for hours at a time with peers and coworkers and god knows who else walking by?People are prideful creatures and it's an amazingly effective means of negative reinforcement to attack their pride.

Dramerc:

Abandon4093:

Dramerc:
@all the liberls on here

EDIT

No one has anything against discipline. A lot of people in our country behave they way they do because they haven't been disciplined, you're entirely right there. liberals as you call them aren't the reason there's no discipline. A generation of parents that don't know what they fuck they're doing are the reason uneducated mobs roam the streets, kicking and stomping of people in swarms because they don't know any better.

But there is something inherently wrong with threatening your child with the violence of a gun. He may not have threatened her directly. But the message was pretty clear, "you don't like it? Tough, I've got a gun."

Doesn't send a good message to the child and it's so far out of the realms of discipline is bordering on stupidity.

Yes The hitting of children banned Punishments banned Labour the Lib Dems thats why and yes a gun goes all the damn way into teaching kids look at the riech Look at their discipline kids would jump off building and not ask if it was safe

Was that post in code?

Because I've got a couple of cryptographers working on deciphering it, and so far they're stumped.

volX:
The guy is crazy, he copmpletely overreacts to his daughter beeing a stupid teenager and people like him, or generally people who wear cowboy hats shouldnt be allowed to have a gun. Actually nobody who isnt there to protect people should carry a gun.

edit: after reading the comments here im sure to be careful, when/if i come to america.

So, he buys 140ish dollars worth of stuff for her, fixes up her laptop for half a day, and the very next day she posts on facebook how horrible he is to her. He is not overreacting. There are REAL kids, with REAL abusive families. She is not one of them, and her whining only belittles the suffering of people who DO have abusive families.

He removed the source of the problem, in a calm explanatory way. Yet because he happened to use a gun, he's now a raving lunatic. Suure. lets completely disregard the fact that he did this in an open area, put the laptop on the ground so nobody would get hit by accident, and even explained in the video that the bullets he used are the type that do not ricochet so nobody would get hurt by a ricocheting bullet.

You need to stop treating a gun with the same ignorant fear as was used to start the Salem Witch Trials.

MysticToast:

Naeras:

MysticToast:

You could be the best parent in the world and there's still a small chance your child will, oh I don't know, have the mental capacity to choose how they want to behave.

I've known total brats with great parents.

There's a difference between choosing how they want to behave and quite simply not giving a fuck, and the case in question is obviously the latter. In the former case it is completely possible to talk sense into the kids, because they have the mental capacity to be reasoned with. If kids act like complete fucknuggets either way, it's generally a case of a) bad influence from friends, b) a hormone overload or c) that the parent in question just isn't very good at being reasonable even when being strict.

Please don't tell me that this guy strikes you as reasonable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked