What are your irrational fears?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

What are you afraid of that will probably not happen, but it scares you to death anyway? I have a few:

1. I'm always paranoid that, right when I walk into the door, some killer/rapist/crazy guy is going to storm into my place right after me before I have the chance to lock the door.
2. I always check my toilet before I sit down to crap because I'm always afraid that there's a rabid rat or spider or something is going to bite my ass.
3. I'm afraid that I'm going to wake up in a coffin at the bottom of the ocean. This one will probably never happen, but the idea freaks me out.

So escapists, what are your irrational fears?

Bees... so many BEESSSS

but i've never been stung :/

Spiders.............

You know when you see a creepy picture on the net and it has a caption of something like 'go to sleep' or 'better not pull your foot from the covers' or something like that. In the dead of night I cannot help, but remember those pictures.

Also, once the power went out on my block and I was walking through my house using my cellphone as a light (very dim but in total darkness it helped). Not a day earlier I had beaten Fatal Frame 1 so I was a lil jumpy.

I used to be afraid of scarabs from The Mummy even though we are not even close to Egypt.

That's about it for 'irrational' fears.

lRookiel:
Spiders.............

OT: Aliens. I can't sleep near my window or the thought that aliens are watching me gives me a panic attack.

This motherfucker.

Seriously, I'm terrified of squid. They're the spiders of the sea, except they're huge and will drown you for the hell of it. I'm just glad I don't live near an ocean.

I mean, look at it!

I'm afraid of grasshoppers... ewww, their little legs, and how their small enough to crawl into your mouth and choke you to death and crawl out and eat your flesh and kill your family and sneak into a missle base and secretly start a nuclear war and turn the world into Fallout's wastelands and then turn into a giant mutant grasshopper that can trample tanks and eat bandits and... I got really ahead of myself...

I'm paranoid that someone is always watching me, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep....

No, not ducks. Before someone suggests that. xD

Also have a weird fear of being up on ladders. I get all shaky from the second rung up.

all my fears are perfectly rational thanks...

Bees, Wasps, Hornets...

by extension i harbor a severe dislike for all flying insects... because when they fly around me i think they could be bees/wasps/hornets and freak out accordingly...

and needles... fuck needles...

I do not fear heights, nor do I fear flying... What I fear, are pilots! I am afraid of the pilots flying because I keep imaging they have some twisted dream of crashing into the ground or just got dumped/whatev and they are deeply depressed so he will crash the plane. :(

Pilots are jerks...

I hate...necks.

I freak out when people touch them, every time I see a neck injury on a movie or on TV I freak out and I freak out when people touch other people's necks. Weird.

I hate spiders as much as the next guy (not that I'm afraid they just unnerve me a little same with needles), but my only irrational fear is heights. By itself its not really irrational, but the thing is I don't mind and actually like flying, which is ridiculous since I know that I'm going higher than I normally would and I fall I'm almost certainly dead.

Balloons. I hate balloons, I'm uncomfortable whenever I'm around them, I don't like touching them.

So...yeah. That usually throws people for a loop.

Bees and wasps and other flying yellow-black things with sharp thingies coming out of their behind that are filled with pain-inducing evilness... Oh god, i freak out so bad when something like that is near me...

Sharks. Great whites. So I guess overall i'm afraid of water, because everytime I see like a lake or a beach I automatically think "Jaws, Sharks, Sea Monsters". Thats why I never swim. Also everytime I see a Cruise ship, I automatically think "Big ship, water, DEEP RISING!". Damn it hollywood, damn it...

Myiasis, I've got a weird fear of being infested.

Insects, spiders etc don't bother me at all. But the though of them laying eggs in my skin and then having thousands of critters crawling around under. It wigs me out. By extension things like coral give me a bit of a spine tingle. And hives can do the same, so can sunflower husks.

I've had it as long as I can remember. The only thing is that because it's the only thing that wigs me out. I watch videos and stare at images about it for hours some times. It's almost like some perverse obsession, but when a video gives me that skin crawly feeling, I'll watch it and watch it and watch it some more.

Botfly vids on youtube have consumed a sizeable portion of my life.

I have a huge fear of fish, I will eat them but I will not touch one, and eels scare the crap out of me.

Being the center of attention.

seriously, a teacher calls on me to answer a question and I haven't perfectly planned out exactly what I was going to say, I freeze up.

So long as I don't have to say something out loud I'm good.

Hell, even when I'm typing, I'm often somewhat unwilling to join in (only recently made an account when I decided that I would stop lurking) EDIT: wow has it been 2/3 of a year already?/EDIT

Other than that, nothing scares me so much as bothers me. I hate when things such as spiders or insects touch me when I don't want them to. As in, I'm willing to let something crawl on my hands, but not down my back.

Spiders, screamers on the internet (that's more of a bit of an excessive paranoia I have), heights (though I'd argue that's not irrational to a large extent) and "plasticy head" puppets (from when i was a child, but they still give me the creeps a bit now)

Hasido:

seriously, a teacher calls on me to answer a question and I haven't perfectly planned out exactly what I was going to say, I freeze up.

That's a good one actually, if I have to do something like a powerpoint presentation in front of the class (even one whom I all know quite well), I can barely speak.

Wasps I hate the little stinging bastards.

Also have very rational dislike of deep water, as I'm not a great swimmer but I'm fine when scuba diving

Midgeamoo:
Spiders, screamers on the internet (that's more of a bit of an excessive paranoia I have), heights (though I'd argue that's not irrational to a large extent) and "plasticy head" puppets (from when i was a child, but they still give me the creeps a bit now)

Hasido:

That's a good one actually, if I have to do something like a powerpoint presentation in front of the class (even one whom I all know quite well), I can barely speak.

yeah, I know that feel.

Last year I had to present a project (I forget what it was) to a class, started talking, and as I was I was like "This made so much more sense before I said it."

It was a small class, composed entirely of friends of mine, so at least I was able to get a laugh with that comment.

I'm always worried that some psychopath or alien or monster from beyond is hiding in the shadows waiting for me to go to sleep.

Also vampires, at least that's the only explanation for why I'm so weird about people grabbing my neck and shoulders or especially going near it with their face.

Don't really have any fears, closest thin I have to a fear is being nervous. I'm shy is that a fear?

AlAaraaf74:
What are you afraid of that will probably not happen, but it scares you to death anyway? I have a few:

1. I'm always paranoid that, right when I walk into the door, some killer/rapist/crazy guy is going to storm into my place right after me before I have the chance to lock the door.
2. I always check my toilet before I sit down to crap because I'm always afraid that there's a rabid rat or spider or something is going to bite my ass.
3. I'm afraid that I'm going to wake up in a coffin at the bottom of the ocean. This one will probably never happen, but the idea freaks me out.

So escapists, what are your irrational fears?

And now I am too.
I also check behind the shower curtain in case of murderers, burglars or poop fetish rapists.
And I'm scared that people who I see on the street re going to stab me. Not really irrational, since gang violence is a pretty big problem here, and everyone is about 6 feet tall.
Oh, and juxtaposition. The x looks weird.

Midgeamoo:

Hasido:

I used to get that so, so badly. Thankfully, not so much anymore. Still don't like doing it though.

Hmmm... My biggest phobia's probably bees and wasps. Can't stand the little fuckers.

sky14kemea:
I'm paranoid that someone is always watching me, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep....

Sorry buddy, I didn't realise it bothered you... i'll stop! :P

I get paranoid when I go to clubs with friends... if you ever stand next to the dance floor and look around the outside, you will notice a lot of shifty-eyed people watching people on the dancefloor... I'm onto them... They try anything with my friends...

KiloFox:
Bees, Wasps, Hornets...

This... this bundle of badass right here is the reason I am staying on the opposite side of the globe...

When i was a small child I put on a bike helmet that had an orgy of hornets in it, and so I got dozens of stings all over my head, face, neck and even in my ears and up my nose...

... and I have never felt safe during spring or summer since then...

I wouldn't call it irrational, but it sure as hell is a fear!

I have a couple of fears that I have sort of overcome since childhood but the occasionally come back to haunt me:

Heights. Sheesh, I hated heights as a child. I was really careful around open windows or balconies because I imagined slipping or tripping to my painful death below. Looking down from a balcony/window was probably the worst, though, then my phobia kicked in high gear - by even barely leaning over I felt I was at a constant risk of falling, getting a good grip at something didn't help much because I imagined my head detaching and falling to the ground...stupid, I know, but it was really creepy.

Darkness. Not all darkness, ever but there is always some place that is just not lit enough and offers great hiding spot for every one of your nightmares. When I was a child, the entrance to our apartment was the worst - it wasn't always lit and it was the best spot to wait for somebody to pass through the hallway and jump on them.

Oh... and clowns...

...fuck clowns...

Well, I'll argue that this isn't so irrational, but still.

I am terrified of completely losing control of my body, like from Locked-in Syndrome, sleep paralysis, and the like. That's why I'll never get into lucid dreaming: it increases risk of sleep paralysis, and the one time that happened to me was the scariest couple minutes of my life.

heights. it is like I was raped by them when I was younger.

frogs....

but also I actually think most lizards (especially geckos) and pet fish are cute, except I have that weird "gag-reflex" like reaction (the one that makes your skin crawl) which sucks because I dont dislike thease anmals they just make me uncomfortable

I'm gonna be really original here and say bugs. They creep me the fuck out. Spiders are even worse. Honestly, look at this thing.

Pencil sharpeners. Don't ask...

Lightning Delight:
I'm gonna be really original here and say bugs. They creep me the fuck out. Spiders are even worse. Honestly, look at this thing.

HOW MANY LEGS!? God, it looks pain to even be one of those.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked