Post counts are to important.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sassafrass:
People don't respect my opinion here and my post count is huge, nor am I well know because of it. And I instantly look at anyway who uses post count as a way to value anyones opinions as a cunt who isn't worth anyone's time.

Besides, it's the internet, not many people are gonna value your opinion anyway. :P
This post was full of grammar fail and might still be, but I'm ill so meh.

Is your post-counter broken or do you have 62 thousand posts?.

What. The. Shit.

I've always expected to reach a certain post-count after like, 4 years or something, yet I'm still just pushing a couple thousand. Boggles my mind the amount of posts some people have on this site despite only joining in 2010 or some shit.

shadowsandwich:
So you 2 are saying to only way to be noticed is to be first?
I guess that make's scence it's just i have been reading through a couple of threads today and more time's than i would like people have called others a noob beacuse they have a low post count.
But i guess most people arnt that bad. I wonder how we can fix the few that do?

I would love to see any example of this "your post count is low so suck on an egg noob!" comments that you seem to be seeing everywhere because I've been lurking for years here and don't recall ever seeing anyone say that (or anything close to that).

tippy2k2:

shadowsandwich:
So you 2 are saying to only way to be noticed is to be first?
I guess that make's scence it's just i have been reading through a couple of threads today and more time's than i would like people have called others a noob beacuse they have a low post count.
But i guess most people arnt that bad. I wonder how we can fix the few that do?

I would love to see any example of this "your post count is low so suck on an egg noob!" comments that you seem to be seeing everywhere because I've been lurking for years here and don't recall ever seeing anyone say that (or anything close to that).

Well clearly if you had a higher post count you'd have already seen it.

Actually I kinda like that, I think I'll use it whenever I'm being facetious. Yeah, that'll do.

Seriously have only seen this played by anyone once.

Pinkamena:
That's like dismissing someones post because they have an avatar you don't like. It's completely false, and few people do it.

Pffft. Your avatar is purple, therefore what you say is invalid!

That used to happen a lot on this website called yugiohetc I used to visit (I even indulged in it myself once, sadly_ but I've never found that to be the case here.

They do? WHY ISN'T ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME THEN?

Meh, post counts mean a count of your posts, nothing more.

I think post count was actually admired round here more back in the olden days. I remember when people said that the forum title 'Gone Gonzo' used to mean something/ was challenging to achieve before almost everyone was able to get it through forum games and user groups. I stopped seeing stuff like that being posted ages ago -- largely because too many people have the title for it to be of any 'value'. Since then the only time I've ever really seen stuff about post counts have been in threads like this saying that we value them too much.

Elementary - Dear Watson:
Snip

An unrelated note, but your avatar/ username/ forum title/ general existence is awesome.

One of the big reasons I love these forums is because they don't care about your post count. I was treated with as much kindness when my post count was 2 as it was when it was 2000.

Wut? Never encountered this. True, it happened a bit in the old days, but not so much now. And people sure as hell don't value my opinion more because my post count is in the thousands... <- Implying people value his opinion. Which they don't. *cries*

Sassafrass:
People don't respect my opinion here and my post count is huge, nor am I well know because of it. And I instantly look at anyway who uses post count as a way to value anyones opinions as a cunt who isn't worth anyone's time.

Besides, it's the internet, not many people are gonna value your opinion anyway. :P

Word...

I really dont see whats important about post count. It just tells me how much of a life a person doesnt have...

*looks at post count for quotee*

Uhhh... no offense intended...

Everyone knows registration date is your real measure of worth. :)

*wanders off to ban everyone with less posts then him*

I actually rarely post, but i read a lot of content on the forums, the problem is, as previously stated, that by the time i get to a new topic there's very little for me to add, like here for example

Kross:

*looks at post count*

Why do I get the feeling that you're not going to post anything for a long time :D

Edit: Shit! What happened Kross? You broke your post count too?

How do you still have a job?

There's no blatant discrimination against people with a low post count, but I feel that a number of people on this site still use it as a factor in determining the worth of a user. Several times my quotes or responses seem to have been ignored in favor of someone with a higher post count. However, I have to admit this occurs pretty damn rarely, so no big deal.

I think most people care more about one's Join Date than their Post Count to be honest.

If someone has a single digit post count I am more apt to consider anything they say as trolling, particularly if they start a thread. I'll read it but if it is something that can be seen as trolling I tend to lean that way.

Other than that I don't care if they have 50 posts of 50 million posts.

Then again I'm one of those jerks that makes every post count instead of padding my "score."

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

*looks at post count*

Why do I get the feeling that you're not going to post anything for a long time :D

I'll let you know right after I reset your post count to 1. :D

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

*looks at post count*

I'm more worried that you'd break the internet.

How much does incompetence pay :D

The best way to get someone talking to you on this site is to quote them. I can't stress this enough. When you quote someone, a message shows up in your inbox and it's brought to the users attention.

I'll often forget I posted in threads until someone quotes me. This site is very... efficient usually. If people have little to add to a comment you made; either in agreement or disagreement, usually nothing is said due to our low content post rules.

Just keep posting and try to engage in conversations with people (and quote!).

Hyper-space:

Sassafrass:

What. The. Shit.

I've always expected to reach a certain post-count after like, 4 years or something, yet I'm still just pushing a couple thousand. Boggles my mind the amount of posts some people have on this site despite only joining in 2010 or some shit.

Sassafrass just never stops talking :P

Zachary Amaranth:
Seriously have only seen this played by anyone once.

Pinkamena:
That's like dismissing someones post because they have an avatar you don't like. It's completely false, and few people do it.

Pffft. Your avatar is purple, therefore what you say is invalid!

Silly Zackary,
Everyone knows it's the Badges that are really tell you if the person's opinion is valid.

The_root_of_all_evil:
They do? WHY ISN'T ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TOME THEN?

Don't worry root, Even though I may not show it, I pay attention to you.

Daystar Clarion:

image Oh, I'll break your Internet all right, and take my payment in tears. :) image

I think it depends on the way you write posts or the opinion you hold. If you have 3 posts and are on a forum going "HALO IS BETTER THAN ANY GAME EVAR!" Then yeah, people are going to be a bit discriminatory toward you. Plus, many trolls come on and troll until they're banned, so there is reason to be aware of someones post count.

Not that I wont read or respond to low post count people anyway, I don't really look at them unless someone has said something ridiculously stupid. I've been on this site for like a year and a half now, I don't have that many posts, and no one knows who I am, but that doesn't mean I'm not respectful to others

Hyper-space:

What. The. Shit.

Forum Games and Group Chat is a wonderful, broken system. Simply by getting stuck in a chat in either for a lazy day, one can easily amass around 200 posts a day. :P

WanderingFool:

Word...

I really dont see whats important about post count. It just tells me how much of a life a person doesnt have...

*looks at post count for quotee*

Uhhh... no offense intended...

...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- *Hulk smash*
Nah, it's cool. Even if offense was intended, I'd just close the browser and talk to the girlfriend on Skype and forget whatever happened. :)

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

Oh, I'll break your Internet all right, and take my payment in tears. :)

I'm fresh out of tears.

Does the mild annoyance of badgers have a good exchange rate these days?

Kross:

O.o Uh oh
*checks own post count, notices it's higher than Kross'*
Does that mean I'm safe :P

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.
And i dont understand why. I myself dont respect people who dont even have a profile picture yet but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse they felt like nobody bothered with them.

I do not value your opinion if you have bad grammar.

In short, I do not value your opinion.

As for the whole postcount thing? It has never bothered me. At all. Never noticed. Now, teh forumhealth thing DOES annoy me. "Its obvious you are a troll, look at your forum health" "Judging from your forum health I would infer that you are lacking in basic human intelligence" and similar phrases being rather common these days. Forum health does not indicate someones decorum, it is no indicator of how likely or unlikely they are to say something hurtful.

For example, my forumhealth is lacking due to a few... Disagreements I have had with people, usually on everyones favourite topic "Drunk sex = Rape" (Or similar. If you have been around on this site you know exactly what I mean), or perhaps one of the "Circumcision" threads, perhaps a political or historial debate, you get the idea. Sometimes I get... Heated and the moderators do not really have the time to read the entire thread to work out who is in the wrong (I do not blame them. Taken out of context I can understand each and everyone one of my infractions. Oh, ok, one or two of them are deserved).

That is far more... Unjust than being judged for having relatively few posts. But you have to understand.

If someone with three posts starts a thread which is obvious trollbait, well, it will be called out as such. And if you have very few posts and say something utterly retarded, well, people will assume you are a troll on a new account having lost an earlier one.

Which is stupid, most of the genuine trolls on here have several hundred posts under their belts... But I very rarely bother looking at the post count of a user. Unless they are trolling. Heh

That will do.

Zombie_Fish:

Elementary - Dear Watson:
Snip

An unrelated note, but your avatar/ username/ forum title/ general existence is awesome.

Haha! Why thank you good sir! I recently regretted shaving my moustache off, from the fancy dress party that I went as Dr Watson, so much, that I am now growing it back, as a more permanent feature! Not only does it go well with a top hat and cane, but with my work uniform (RAF) it also looks good!

Glad to see another Sherlock Holmes fan though!

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

*looks at post count*

Can you reset my post count to a puppy? :D
Puppy is the best number, after all.

Still, OP, post count doesn't matter. I'll admit, though, that my internal alarms are set off by too many grammatical errors in a small amount of text, but I try to not judge the content of the post by it. People here are much more fixated on grammar than post count.

And as was said earlier, user groups and forum games/ RP have completely voided the post count system other than it acting as a very vague barometer for escapist activity. But before them, post count was more widely used to judge others. I do hold my post count with a mild bit of personal esteem because I don't use the usergroups or forum games hardly at all.
But if the IRC counted towards post count, I'd have tens of thousands of posts, easy. XD

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

image Oh, I'll break your Internet all right, and take my payment in tears. :) image

Why cry when you could just try to get top score at bubble breaker?

Warning: It costs two soul tokens to play games made by Kross. You can talk to him about getting your soul reformatted.

Quantity doesn't equal quality. Someone may have an absurdly high post count but the content of those posts may be total drivel and insanity. Frankly I look more for join date coupled with post count, and that's only to determine if when someone says something trollish whether they're a troll or just spouting stupidity. Someone with a low post count and recent join date is far more likely to be a troll than someone with a low post count and has been here for a few months or weeks.

Redlin5:

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

Warning: It costs two soul tokens to play games made by Kross. You can talk to him about getting your soul reformatted.

I think i played with fire.

Everyone's avatar is the Bieber.

Way to abuse your power, Kross.

If I can't judge people in an instant based on the number of posts they've made, then I don't want to live anymore.

Also, mine's relatively high, so begone peasant.

Daystar Clarion:

Redlin5:

Kross:

Maybe you just got a case of Bieber-fever? It's generally expected for young girls to get it but, like the chicken pox, can infect adults and can be very dangerous for them. Please seek a medical professional immediately.

It's your opinions that are the problem, not your post count. If you want people to respect you, don't be "that guy" who makes threads about not getting enough respect. It's whining about things like that which earn ridicule in the first place.

And seriously, why care? This is an internet forum, plenty of people that aren't going to respect you no matter what, and plenty that are far more interested in the quality of your posts than the quantity. Stop giving a shit, if you've got something to post, post it in the best way that you know how. Forget your post count, respect is earned. You'll either get it or you won't.

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.
And i dont understand why. I myself dont respect people who dont even have a profile picture yet but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse they felt like nobody bothered with them.

I only ever check the post count if they say something trollish because if it's low then they're just trolling but if it's high... then I go to a dark dark place.

tippy2k2:

Daystar Clarion:

Redlin5:

Maybe you just got a case of Bieber-fever? It's generally expected for young girls to get it but, like the chicken pox, can infect adults and can be very dangerous for them. Please seek a medical professional immediately.

But I didn't even press the button...

You'll rue this day, Kross.

Rue I say!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked