Post counts are to important.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Title should be "Grammar is to important" or even "Correct use of homophones to important." :D

Daystar Clarion:

Redlin5:

Kross:

image Oh, I'll break your Internet all right, and take my payment in tears. :) image

Why cry when you could just try to get top score at bubble breaker?

Warning: It costs two soul tokens to play games made by Kross. You can talk to him about getting your soul reformatted.

I think i played with fire.

Everyone's avatar is the Bieber.

Way to abuse your power, Kross.

Um, what? I've never run into that issue.

Granted, I have been posting more often because I want to increase my post count, but that's just a personal thing.

Redlin5:

Daystar Clarion:

Redlin5:

Why cry when you could just try to get top score at bubble breaker?

Warning: It costs two soul tokens to play games made by Kross. You can talk to him about getting your soul reformatted.

I think i played with fire.

Everyone's avatar is the Bieber.

Way to abuse your power, Kross.

And now I suffer for my hubris.

Do not cry for me, escapists. It's what he wants.

That_Sneaky_Camper:
I have never cared about post count, regardless of which message board I'm on. Obsessing over post count is like a dick waving contest and no one wants to see that.

That would be a simile, but posting on Escapist is scientifically proven to make your dick more flexible and easier to wave.

I mentioned this once before, but I did once have someone try to convince me they were right because their post-count was higher than mine (this happened on another forum).

Of course, having a high post count doesn't necessarily mean you've ever said something worthwhile. Remember the eternal words of Mr. T: "A wise man talks because he's got something to say, a fool talks because he's got to say something!".

BUT I LUUURVE MY POST COUNT... it makes me feel more indie than bieber fans.

shadowsandwich:
So you 2 are saying to only way to be noticed is to be first?
I guess that make's scence it's just i have been reading through a couple of threads today and more time's than i would like people have called others a noob beacuse they have a low post count.
But i guess most people arnt that bad. I wonder how we can fix the few that do?

Don't bother, dude. You're wasting a lot of energy in trying to "fix" people who not only are a distinct minority on this site, but who wouldn't care about what you could possibly try to teach them some sensitivity training.

I take it you ran into a few douchenozzles who belittled you based on your post count. I'm sorry to say, but this is something that could've happened anywhere else on the Web, as well. You're honestly better off letting those idiots waste their breath than wasting your own energy in being incensed or otherwise offended by their conduct.

That's the one, clear remedy against online stupidity. Ignore them.

Valanthe:
And secondly, and the really petty one, if you are the invoker of Godwin's Law. This again, is selective, if the thread is actually tangentially about nazis (See: Marines pose with Nazi ZZ flag) then I will play, but if someone tries to bring nazism where it doesn't belong, I'm out.

you do realize that in the process of saying you arn't fond of those invoking Godwin's Law you yourself invoked Godwin's Law... therefore putting yourself into that very category...

all joking aside however (i actually did respond to that particular thread with what i thought was a very good view and for all i know it got completely glossed over) i don't tend to get quoted much so i guess it SEEMS as though i don't get much recognition. however quite a few of my posts end up being on pages past page 1... and unless the thread particularly interests me or is my own, i don't really EVER read past the first page of posts. and i suspect that a lot of people do the same... i don't actually know if my posts get just ignored or not either though. nobody has ever commented at me basically saying that my opinion dosn't matter or whatever. i still try and post the most interesting/insightful thing i can into my posts... i guess in the hopes that at least one person will read it and walk away with something from the experience. of course this has the unfortunate side-effect of me having a lot of really long posts... but i'm a writer in my spare time... sue me...

Trust me, people with higher post counts can get equally flamed for saying 'stupid' things. I am proof of that ; )

People with low post counts can get many page threads if they have something worth saying.

If you have a low post count, and say something 'stupid', you might get ignored or named troll, but that's just how the www works.

EDIT: I just saw a guy (post 3) with over 60k posts? WWWHHHAAAA?!?!?!

While I think that number is fucking crazy... I think that his post here is good because I agree with it, it makes sense to me. Same would go if his post count was at 10. But I do admit I was a tad taken back at his post count... especially since I don't recall ever seeing him post!

Say something worth notice, and you'll get noticed.

I think that any one with any less than 184 posts is a dbag and not worth my time.
On a serious note I don't find that true at all. All having a high post count means is
A) You spend more time on the forums than others or
B) You've just been a member longer.
You don't suddenly become a super awesome elite who everyone wants to talk to after an X amount of posts.

TopazFusion:
Nope, never experienced this. Even when I was new and fresh-faced (which was really not that long ago).

Zombie_Fish:
I think post count was actually admired round here more back in the olden days. I remember when people said that the forum title 'Gone Gonzo' used to mean something/ was challenging to achieve

I've always wondered - what does "Gone Gonzo" mean? (If I'm Gone Gonzo, I think I should at least know what it means.)

+1000 posts, isn't it?

Jesus, you see that left and right these days... It really was special years ago, I promise. When anyone went Gonzo, strangers would congradulate you on the achievement!

Well actually... it's more or less basic probablity - if your post count is low, you're going to have replied less, hence -you- are less likely to see someone reply to a message. If someone posts a lot you're more likely to see some reply to them because they simply have more posts!

Ok that and maybe it's just the lower post counts mean they're either a spambot you can't trust, or a troll and the higher count ones will know how not to get banned over a longer period of time so are less likely to say something idiotic in responce... not that I pay attention to posts of course >.>

I've found that at least when starting topics, using a controversial-seeming thread title can get the thread a lot more views, although it always does make me feel somewhat cheap to do so.

Having a huge post count is like having a huge penis.

Sure, it seems like it'd be totally awesome to have, but in reality it isn't. Both usually end up being a hindrance in some cases, and you can't really use either during sex.

Irridium:
Having a huge post count is like having a huge penis.

Sure, it seems like it'd be totally awesome to have, but in reality it isn't. And sometimes it's more of a hindrance since you also can't use either for sex. Since one's too huge and one's not real.

I get the feeling that your commitment wavered towards the end of that metaphor :D

Don't worry, people who care about post counts are forum noobs. You can make 10,000 posts that are worthless and don't accomplish anything, and you can make 100 brilliant posts in a row.

I may be fairly new here, but I've been around the net for far longer than most, you can never tell what kind of person you are just based on post count.

EDIT:

The only judgement of that sort that I feel has some merit is judging people by their avatars. People with bad avatars come across as rather lazy to me, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes to make a decent avatar, maybe even less, I made this one in four minutes. Having a solid avatar helps to make you stand out, nobody likes looking at box avatars.

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.
And i dont understand why. I myself dont respect people who dont even have a profile picture yet but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse they felt like nobody bothered with them.

I've only really seen this happen when the person has only 1-2 posts, and starts a thread that sounds like an advertisement.

Spambots often have low post counts, since the profile only exists for the bot. But that's like, 1-10 posts. By 50, it's usually a real person.

Also, spambots are usually trying to get us to click links to pictures of products they want us to buy. So long as a person isn't presenting a link and saying "check this out!" I don't even check the post count typically. I mean, sure, it's there, but I usually just look at profile pics.

Meh, high post counts are really only a measure of how much spare time someone has. It doesn't really matter how long you've been here, how many posts you've submitted, how many threads you've made or anything. All you need to do to be respected around here is to not come across like this guy. No-one listens to him. For obvious reasons.

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.
And i dont understand why. I myself dont respect people who dont even have a profile picture yet but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse they felt like nobody bothered with them.

I'm inclined to think any disrespect your way could be attributed to your poor grammar and spelling. This is a pretty intelligent community, so before you start bitching about other people how about you take some pride in your post and use spellcheck?

I don't think people here place too much meaning on other people's post counts. I admit I get a bit insecure about my own in the face of more active forum members', but that has no effect on how I treat people or view their opinions. Now, I'm guilty of a bunch of other kinds of snobby judging like on a person's avatar, username, use of the number "2" in place of the word "to"... but, hey, at least those things are more than a silly number.

Except for that last thing. That is a number and it is silly to use it as a word.

DVS BSTrD:

Silly Zackary,
Everyone knows it's the Badges that are really tell you if the person's opinion is valid.

Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!

The_root_of_all_evil:
They do? WHY ISN'T ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME THEN?

Meh, post counts mean a count of your posts, nothing more.

I pay attention. of course, nobody knows who I am....*cries*

... as water is to dry.

I've never had that problem. To the best of my knowledge, people responding to me always responded based on the content of my posts rather than the number I'd made.

I know that most peoples post counts are up due to talking in groups so I don't really look at their post to see if their view is important or not, if it's a load of paragraphs long I usually pass 'cos I personally just like the shorter looking thoughts and ideas most the time, not saying that I always skip past the longer structured ones. :P

The3rdEye:
... as water is to dry.

You there.

Yes, you.

That was very clever. Here, take this, you've earned it.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

shadowsandwich:
So you 2 are saying to only way to be noticed is to be first?
I guess that make's scence it's just i have been reading through a couple of threads today and more time's than i would like people have called others a noob beacuse they have a low post count.
But i guess most people arnt that bad. I wonder how we can fix the few that do?

Get a load of this guy. He has 59 posts and hes already complaining!

Come back when you have 5000 kid. Until then your opinion is worthless.

But, but dude! You don't even have 5000!

I do realise you are kidding

OP: Most people ignore trolls who call people noobs because of a low post count. If people call troll because its a low post count and a thinly disguised advertisement, then I see no problem with that. Its usually a sign there.

Bottom line, make your posts worthwhile and people will actually take notice.

shadowsandwich:

Here is my explanation.

There are a lot of posts on these forums. A LOT. For the amount of time I have, I cannot read every one.

Therefore, I must pick and choose what I read. It just so happens, I tend to read posts from people with a high post count.

The reason: Mainly experience. People with high post count have, well, posted more which means they know more about it. They are more likely to have proper grammar and spelling(*cough* *cough*), they often have the ability to show more insight on things and most of all, they are almost always able to get their point across in very few words.

Now, I'm not saying I discount an opinion unless it has thousands of posts behind it, far from it. I am simply saying that often times, I prefer to pay attention to the experienced forum goers over newcomers.

Though if I'm being entirely honest, I also pay close attention to people with really cool avatars...

Spelling, grammar and the ability to put together a coherent thought matter much more than your post count. Work on these things first if you want to be taken seriously. If you want respect for your opinions, have some respect for the friggin language and medium.

Regnes:
Don't worry, people who care about post counts are forum noobs. You can make 10,000 posts that are worthless and don't accomplish anything, and you can make 100 brilliant posts in a row.

I may be fairly new here, but I've been around the net for far longer than most, you can never tell what kind of person you are just based on post count.

EDIT:

The only judgement of that sort that I feel has some merit is judging people by their avatars. People with bad avatars come across as rather lazy to me, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes to make a decent avatar, maybe even less, I made this one in four minutes. Having a solid avatar helps to make you stand out, nobody likes looking at box avatars.

[spent 30seccconds on his avatar]
runs and crys in room.

OT: Yea post count doesn't mean anything its all about what you say provided its in the first 2 pages of a tread(lets face it no one wants to read 7pages of post) and by the last page the threads devolved so much that no ones on topic anymore

I only use post counts to see how familiar someone is to this board. Seem's friggin' ridiculous to do that kinda thing to a newbie, discriminating them because they lack posts.

When I first came here I wasn't subject of backlash, just treated weirdly.

The best way to become more involved here is by making a name for yourself. Such as me, being the goddamn Megaman nut here.

Valanthe:

And secondly, and the really petty one, if you are the invoker of Godwin's Law. This again, is selective, if the thread is actually tangentially about nazis (See: Marines pose with Nazi ZZ flag) then I will play, but if someone tries to bring nazism where it doesn't belong, I'm out.

I have seen that thread a lot around here. It always seem to be on the first page. I honestly stopped posting in that thread a while ago. I kind of wish that it would die so we could have new threads. We need new threads, not the same old boring ones. Even if they are about Nazis.

shadowsandwich:

...I don't think you're quite in the know, I've been here a while, with no posts in forum games or nonsense topics and no one on this forum has any idea who I am nor cares what I say.

...THIS IS A POSITIVE.

When people start to notice you, you have to start putting on airs or they will slowly chew at your sanity. Don't seek forum popularity. Seriously.

Mortai Gravesend:
I have not found this to be true at all. I was never dismissed due to my post count back when I first started. You're also assuming a lot on behalf of people with low post counts.

Well i've been insulted because I only made an account in 2011 before...

Meh. People are stupid. So if someone is so stupid that they think post count or sign up date matters, well then, as previously mentioned they are stupid
I just wish we had the option of not seeing that crap. The same as we have the option to disable avatars and buttons.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked