Post counts are to important.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

A person with a high post count generally posts more, has more to say, and thus is better known in the community. I don't think anyone is slighted because of a low post count. I only post in threads that really interest me or where I feel that I have something to say, and I've never really been bothered about the number of posts. It's a bit like getting upset about the number of likes on something you post on facebook, just not worth my time.

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.

I personally haven't experienced this at all. *shrugs*

(And that should be "I am a little annoyed about the fact that too many people on here don't value your opinion if your post count is too low". Sorry, I have a condition.)

I don't think people do. I don't even look at post count much and don't think it matters. I don't even care if they have an avatar or not.
I judge based on badge order sometimes though.

I personally pay attention to what people say. Not how many time's they've said it.
(But that might just be becuase I have a low post count...)

Nooooo.

I only judge people that don't have avatars.

Lazy bastards.

The only time I judge someone by post count is when they are claiming something about the Escapist itself and they have few posts themselves... even with that though once you have about 1000 or so then I won't consider your opinion on the Escapist any less valuable than someone with 60000+ since post counts can be easily increased using forum games or user-groups. Influence is more about where and when you post really, there are people with 1 or 2K posts who are better known in the community than some with 10 to 15K. Typically this is a very tolerant community though and it's very rare to see put-downs due to post count.

As a side note on the avatar issue, I think it's a little odd for someone regularly on here not to choose an avatar since they must have something they like enough to put by their name and it helps increase recognisability if it isn't generic or too small to see. I wouldn't downgrade someone's opinion because of a lack-of-avatar but I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

I've never had an issue with the post counts, but the lack of a profile picture was always an issue. When my picture didn't load, I never got quoted or anything, or nobody even read my post. But, now I have FredFred Burger up, people tend to read my opinions. Profile Picture determines importance, not post count.

Well if I were to post any more than I do there'd be an awesome overload and the Escapist, nay, the world as we know it (same thing really) will explode. All those guys/gals with the monolithic post counts are the awesome barons of the world and must be stopped before they doom us all.

Well it's taken me 5 years to get to where I am now, if people value my opinions any less because of it, they need to take a good hard look at themselves. I don't post for the hell of it, I post of and when I want to, even it that means a month or so between posts.
Being a semi active user of the escapist forums for so long has let me watch the community grow, not always for the best, but you can't have everything.

Sober Thal:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Sober Thal:
Trust me, people with higher post counts can get equally flamed for saying 'stupid' things. I am proof of that ; )

People with low post counts can get many page threads if they have something worth saying.

If you have a low post count, and say something 'stupid', you might get ignored or named troll, but that's just how the www works.

EDIT: I just saw a guy (post 3) with over 60k posts? WWWHHHAAAA?!?!?!

While I think that number is fucking crazy... I think that his post here is good because I agree with it, it makes sense to me. Same would go if his post count was at 10. But I do admit I was a tad taken back at his post count... especially since I don't recall ever seeing him post!

Say something worth notice, and you'll get noticed.

To be honest, I (and likely most of the other people around here) am more likely to tell someone off for saying something stupid if they have a high post count/early join date than if they're clearly new. The mods are harsher on older members too, for that matter.

Besides, whoever said it was join date that mattered was right. Anyone who can last more than a year or two is practically an ancient around here, despite the fact that the forums have been around since, what, 2004? The moderations system is set up so older members are more likely to get banned than newer ones.

Well, likely, since you want to try and talk about other people as well as yourself... can you explain why 'The Escapist Staff' gets away with stuff new and old posters can't?

I only ask you that since I likely read your statement saying: -'The moderations system is set up so older members are more likely to get banned than newer ones.'-

That's just likely ca razy, eh?

Really tho, the likely attitude you, for some odd reason, decided to quote me with leaves a bad taste... do you have any desire to reword it?

:P

lolz

Your post rubbed just me the wrong way. Ignore my drunken rant.

Mods are fair and balanced on this site, as far as I've been able to tell. That's no bullshit. I'd put money on it. People that break the rules, know they deserve the punishment handed down to them. Post count doesn't matter.

Sorry for responding harshly... but I truly believe this.

Yeah, it's cool. The moderators really do discriminate against older posters, though; that's the way the health bar system works. Old users have a way of dying the death of a thousand cuts, while new users can get away with murder at least a couple times before getting banned.

judging on post count? since when?

and why dose post count even matter?

pretty sure i missed that memo

its not how many you post..but HOW

hence why I am considered awsome roud thease parts :P....

C'mon you know its true

Vault101:
its not how many you post..but HOW

hence why I am considered awsome roud thease parts :P....

C'mon you know its true

Says the person with 7.5k posts, the On Fire badge and the Neo badge. Just saying >__>

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i am a little annoyed about the fact that to many people on here dont value your opinion if your post count is to low.
And i dont understand why. I myself dont respect people who dont even have a profile picture yet but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse they felt like nobody bothered with them.

Yeah, Lack of an avatar is inexcusable and you WILL not be remembered by me without it because names are kinda hard to remember on their own...

Post-count I actually don't use as an indicator of how important someone's opinion is, I don't think that many people here do. The people with the most posts get it from forum games and user groups anyway, 5000 really good insightful posts will make me notice someone quite quickly, then there are people with 30K who I have seen once or twice giving a two-line over-repeated opinion. Post well, spell-check and be original. You shall be known soon enough :)

I have never dismissed anyone's opinion because of their post count and I don't really remember seeing anyone else do it either. I have almost 1000 posts (which isn't really huge) and I still never really get noticed much, but that is because I am usually on page 10 or something. I've also been kind of a drifter in the past couple months, I just randomly disappear and show up again a couple weeks later.

Sassafrass:
People don't respect my opinion here and my post count is huge, nor am I well know because of it. And I instantly look at anyway who uses post count as a way to value anyones opinions as a cunt who isn't worth anyone's time.

Besides, it's the internet, not many people are gonna value your opinion anyway. :P
This post was full of grammar fail and might still be, but I'm ill so meh.

Sassafrass! Didn't you used to have Dr Cox avatars?

OT: It isn't post count that matters, it is the quality of your posts. Yours, for example

shadowsandwich:
Hello Escapist Community i I am a little annoyed about the fact that too many people on here don't value your opinion if your post count is too low.
And i I don't understand why. I myself don't respect people who don't even have a profile picture yet[1] but it's come to a point where people either get high post counts or fade into the backround with the last topic they posted in beacuse because they felt like nobody bothered with them.

The occasional wrongly spelled word is fine, but things like capital 'I's and apostrophes in contracted words (like don't) are signs of a genuine poster. Sure, they may be a terrible poster/troll, but they at least put the effort in to write properly, and on a site like this, the only interaction people have with you is through text, so the way you present your posts is important if you don't want to feel, and I borrow your words here, like nobody bothered with you.

Then you have your actual topic; you raise concerns about the way people are seen on this site based upon arbitrary figures that have no bearing upon the quality of their posts, yet you don't actually try to maintain a high-quality of posting yourself.

[1] I'd normally put a comma here, but things like commas tend to be placed as a matter of preference, so this is just a minor nit-pick

I respect other members as long as they at least make an honest attempt to use correct grammar and punctuation. I wouldn't call myself a grammar Nazi, all I ask is that people try and avoid using "text language."

Other than that, post as little as you want and be as racist and offensive as you please, it can be very entertaining.

I think you mean "Post counts are too important"

Post count plus 1, Oh yeah...

Well logically if you have a low post count that reflects that you're not willing to express your own opinion so why should I care about what you have to say if you hardly ever say it?

But I never even look at post counts or user names I usually just read the post. Some times when I get in a conversation/argument/flamewar with multiple people I forget who I've said what to

I tend to have a lower standard towards the older members because no reason. I prefer the newer members because also no reason. Therefore, if you have a higher post count more than likely I'll just not take you seriously. Because no reason.

shadowsandwich:
snip

I think people didn't care about your opinion in a thread and now you're mad and want attention.

No one has ever, ever judged someone based on post counts in any thread I've been in, unless you can provide some evidence to back up your claim I won't believe you at all.

I think more of posters with a higher count, but I don't really think less of posters with lower counts. In my head, it's like..."This person has a million posts! He is clearly a well respected member of the community! I should read what he has to say, obviously it must be some sage advice."

The_root_of_all_evil:
They do? WHY ISN'T ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME THEN?

Meh, post counts mean a count of your posts, nothing more.

Like this guy. I imagine him as being super smart and knowledgeable. Is it true? Who knows. I see him around, though, he seems smart.

Mikeyfell:
I think you mean "Post counts are too important"

*snip*

Well logically if you have a low post count that reflects that you're not willing to express your own opinion so why should I care about what you have to say if you hardly ever say it?

I don't agree with that, why should the loud one with the high post count be heard over the quite ones with low post counts. We are all equals here. A number is a number is a number. Besides, I'm just really a lurker with a name, so I don't post much, only if I feel that I have something to add to the discussion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked