does the Escapist name their systems/PC,s

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I decided to name my PC to give it more personality my previous rig was named Rei after Ayanami Rei from NGE (it,s also a symbolic name since this was the first PC I customized without breaking it),my current rig Noriko from Gunbuster,my laptop Lain from Serial Experiments lain and my phone Amuro from Gundam 0079.
I,m wondering what the escapist or that I,m a freak in this.
PS
when I talk to my friends I usually refer to them as "my computer/cellphone/laptop"

My computer is called Boot to the Head, but other than that I don't. I named my rig to make networking easier, BttH is an easy to remember ID when fucking around with proprietary networking hardware that's several kinds of stupid at once.

Yes, and I actually have a use for it as I'm setting up ssh to access my files remotely...having a name for the computer makes it a lot easier to connect.

It's called prometheus. Some of the others include relic, persephone, loki, herbert, mostly greek names.

I always name all my computing-related devices. Usually after video game characters and weapons[1]. Although when I'm feeling lazy, or it just doesn't matter as much, I just name them as [myname]-[prominent device feature]. I'm actually thinking of finally settling on a theme in naming to make matters easier. I might pick up a single series to name things after or something along those lines.

[1] As long as they have distinct names, so no "Broadsword" or "dagger".

I named my router 'Skynet' on my laptop.

I enjoy tempting fate.

o.0

Okay, no, I don't name my inanimate objects. First, that seems pretentious, second, I'm too old to try and personify an inanimate object.

Besides, don't anthropomorphize computers. They don't like that.

Vegosiux:
Okay, no, I don't name my inanimate objects. First, that seems pretentious, second, I'm too old to try and personify an inanimate object.

The thing is, when they are on a network with various other devices it makes it way easier to pick out what you need or not. For example, at home I have a wireless router and I've reserved static IP addresses to my laptop, PC and phone. So if I want to look them up, it would take me all of a second to know which one is which, as opposed to trying to pick out my laptop from [string of random characters] and [a different string of random characters]. I caught somebody using the wireless because I didn't recognise the name of the device connected (the name being [string of random characters]).

DoPo:

Vegosiux:

The thing is, when they are on a network with various other devices it makes it way easier to pick out what you need or not. For example, at home I have a wireless router and I've reserved static IP addresses to my laptop, PC and phone. So if I want to look them up, it would take me all of a second to know which one is which, as opposed to trying to pick out my laptop from [string of random characters] and [a different string of random characters]. I caught somebody using the wireless because I didn't recognise the name of the device connected (the name being [string of random characters]).

Yes, of course, there's that, but I don't call my computer "Vegos" in conversation is what I mean. If I talk computers with people, my computer is "my computer", not "Vegos".

My rig's called Bob. I always name things Bob because it's short, simple, and easy to remember.

Though I'll probably name my next one something better as it'll be my first ludicrously good [1] PC.

[1] And expensive, but at least it's not a mac.

Naming a computer is kinda useful on a network. Usually my computers earn their names somehow. One of my early computers earned the name "Dopey" for the various problems it had, its successor, which was essentially the same except with a better CPU...became MegaDopey. A computer a friend gave me became "Freebie," a second free computer became "Freebie II" and a third one.. "3B"...get it? Haha.

When I got my first modern laptop, it ran Vista, and immediately pissed itself and died when I tried to put Acronis True Image on it. It earned the name Omorashi-tan. I soon sold it to a friend and replaced it with a laptop I named PITA-tan, because it ran Vista 64 and it was a pain in the ass. (I upgraded it to XP within a day) A tiny laptop (great granddaddy of today's netbooks) I have.. I named Chibi-tan.

My linux box is named Cheapie, because I built it for about 300 bucks.

Vegosiux:
Yes, of course, there's that, but I don't call my computer "Vegos" in conversation is what I mean. If I talk computers with people, my computer is "my computer", not "Vegos".

Ah, yes, there is that. Although I'm on the path of doing just that. As soon as I have some more systems under my command (that includes several virtual machines) I will have to refer to them as names, as "My laptop" and "My PC" just wouldn't cut it any more. However, I'm fine for now - I don't use actually name them in that way.

No I don't but I admit I should (I only name the pc with my name during the naming part when you first switch it on). I build the new pc by myself so I do got a more personal feel toward it.

My desktop is named Kathleen, after my grandmother, who gave me some of the money to build it.
My laptop is named Winry, because I just really like Fullmetal Alchemist, and my iTouch is now named Hanako, and has a poorly taped-on picture of Hanako from Katawa Shoujo. It's partly to creep my friends out, though.

My old laptop was Lappy 386. The one I'm currently using is the Hyperbox.

My brother and I are Homestar Runner fans, but he got in ahead of me with a couple.

My computer doesn't have a name, but it makes those R2D2 bleeps when you turn it on, and says Swarzeneggars "I'll be back" when it's shutting down.

My memory Pen's called "Hal 9000". I tried to name it "Death Star Plans" but there weren't enough character spaces available.

I named my Wireless Router 'Wu-tang Lan'.

I call my PC a few names

-The computer
-The PC

Inventive, I know

Yes. I currently own:

SLEDGEHAMMER
HACKSAW
CHISEL
WORKBENCH
CROWBAR

Notice a theme?

The computers on my home network are named after the moons of Jupiter.
Why? Because having computers named Europa, Callisto, Elara, Adrastea and Metis is awesome.

TimeLord:
I named my router 'Skynet' on my laptop.

I enjoy tempting fate.

Same here. High five! :D

Also, my PC is named 'Mechanicum'.
Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy - maybe some nutcases will find this rig a few millennia down the line and base a religion around it. Heh.

Equestria. It is my land of magic and happiness. :D And the little Chaos that comes iis easily fixed with the Antivirus of Harmony.

My laptop's name is HALberd. I like the little nod to HAL from 2001 and I like halberds (because they are cool), so it fits all the criteria to be a nerdy computer.

I named my macbook Frank-Melvin.

My functional computers are named as follows:
Jehovatron III (my primary system inherits the title of the God-king made machine. Clearly, this is His third incarnation.)
Lincoln Osiris (Tropic Thunder)
B00b13dr46oN (Retarded Animal Babies)
Liberated Wommon (because I liberated it from my parents and gave it the most horrible wallpaper known to man)
Motoko (Ghost in the shell. Also, Jehovatron III's doppleganger and my fiance's main system.)
Dellenn (it's a Dell laptop and I'm paying homage to Babylon 5)
Xenomorph (huge, black, and Aliens. Oh, and it's an Alienware)
and Jules Winnfield (because Pulp Fiction)

My box is simple 'Homeworld'.

Always has been, always will be.

I have a Macbook called "Golden Delicious 4021" because of a small sticky that my GF scratched from apple in grocery store and slapped it on my monitor.

I name our devices for network purposes. Our network is called Galker because it's a portmanteau of my/my wife's surnames. We used to name our computers after Happy Tree Friends characters - our PC was called Cuddles, our laptop was called Flippy, when our PC died we got a new one and called it Giggles.

However the laptop is retired and Giggles died a couple of years ago - we haven't given special names to our new PC or our netbook.

my computer is called my computer, my laptop is called my laptop, my nas is called nas and so on.. So no I do no name my systems

my big old portable harddrive is called larry because every time i think about it. it makes me smile

My current laptop is called ALVIN, because it's red and tends to be good at showing off. I also yell at it when it gets obnoxious or non-responsive.

I think the name's appropriate.

I call my computer Charlene, but it was one of my friends who named it that after the gun from Full Metal Jacket.
It's not its name in the network though.

My PC is called "Zuperpeze" yeah, it's pretty simple.

my laptop is Vessini,

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

(when my sister was writing her final dissertation for college her computer broke, so I lent her my laptop, at which point I named it and created her own sign in so she couldn't look at my gear, or play then games on it!)

i named all my computers and big drives after bosses in the ./hack games

No one's called their computer GLaDOS? I am ashamed of you all. But yeah, take a wild guess what my computer's called? My phone and iPod are both closely related to my computer...

Here's a hint, it's not single player related.

Thinking about it, I need a companion cube shaped portable hard drive...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked