What makes you feel old?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Realizing that kids today never heard of black and white TV or a rotary telephone, have always had cable, only know Atari as a game maker and not consoles, and have always grown up with channels that play cartoons 24/7.

AngloDoom:
Overhearing a child in GAME asking what a Gameboy was.

I almost fell into a pile of ash and dust just from hearing it.

Hahaha indeed. I remember owning one of those... How that could ever be considered portable I'll never know. The thing was as portable as an house brick and took 4 AA's to power... Those were the days. I start feeling old when I play a PSP and I'm astonished with the graphics... Sometimes just not being able to get my head round it. Just looking back and remembering when portable graphics consisted mostly of sprites.

Also start feeling old when I here kids state (I grew up on the PS2/Xbox) or not knowing what a PSone is.

That or when I start mentioning films made in the mid 90's and up to be "relatively new". Or I think back and remember it's been 5 years since I left high school.

Sovvolf:
Hahaha indeed. I remember owning one of those... How that could ever be considered portable I'll never know. The thing was as portable as an house brick and took 4 AA's to power... Those were the days. I start feeling old when I play a PSP and I'm astonished with the graphics... Sometimes just not being able to get my head round it. Just looking back and remembering when portable graphics consisted mostly of sprites.

I'll take the size and added weight of those four AA batteries over what Sega Game Gear owners had to put up with. That thing would chew through batteries like nobody's business. I had a friend with one who never even bothered to use it without the wall adapter.

The GameBoy Pocket was pretty bad in the battery department too. Using two AAA batteries gave it a lifetime of like, what, five hours of game time? Maybe?

/sigh. I do miss my old gray brick GameBoy though. I think I still have it around here somewhere. Probably with all my other old game systems.

Tuesday Night Fever:

I'll take the size and added weight of those four AA batteries over what Sega Game Gear owners had to put up with. That thing would chew through batteries like nobody's business. I had a friend with one who never even bothered to use it without the wall adapter.

Though to be fair the Gamegear did have a large graphical advantage in comparison to the Gameboy. I'd dare say that the graphics were just under that of a gameboy advanced which for its time was incredible. The big problem was, as you said, it had no battery life at all (think 4-5 hours on fresh, out the packet batteries). Could only be played with an adapter (which would get steaming hot fast) and those not at all portable... At that point you might as well had just stuck your Master System and saved yourself/parents 150... They had pretty much the same games.

Sovvolf:
Though to be fair the Gamegear did have a large graphical advantage in comparison to the Gameboy. I'd dare say that the graphics were just under that of a gameboy advanced which for its time was incredible. The big problem was, as you said, it had no battery life at all (think 4-5 hours on fresh, out the packet batteries). Could only be played with an adapter (which would get steaming hot fast) and those not at all portable... At that point you might as well had just stuck your Master System and saved yourself/parents 150... They had pretty much the same games.

Yeah, graphically the Game Gear was pretty impressive. I remember watching my friend playing Sonic on it and feeling an overwhelming amount of envy. But in retrospect, I'm glad I had the GameBoy instead. It was less expensive to keep batteries in it, it was more portable, and let's face it... it had far more games. Hell, even just looking at the good GameBoy games, the GameBoy still had a significantly larger library than all of the Game Gear's games. And the games weren't as expensive, either.

Going to see Star Wars Episode 1: TPM 3D last week

since I was 6 when the movie first came out. Which I admit isn't all that old to some people, but It just made me feel just a tad old.

I don't feel old.

I'm not on medicare, I don't have to pay a mortgage, I'm not planning out my pension or discussing with my wife where it may be best to retire.

Are you? No, didn't think so.

Quit yer' whining, you dern kids, and stop playin yer dern Backstreet Men and Milli Vaniller so gosh dern loud!

I loved my Game Gear, had a load of games too but was unfortunately stolen along with a car. :o :(

Wonder how much they are to buy now, I'm feeling an itch...

Probably seeing all the freshman ant my school and visiting my old school over winter break.

Strangely enough, listening to a lot of 80's metal and rock makes me feel old. I grew up on listening to that music. And I was born in '89.

Seriously, how the hell does that work?

I remember when mars bars used to only cost 30p.

My little cousin is in high school now, he is not much younger than me, about 5 years. But I remember me and him playing games all those years ago

Having conversations with my little sister, it seems like just yesterday that she was a dumb as a brick baby.

The first Elder Scrolls game I played was Arena.

Argh.

There's far too many CGI children shows. Back in my day we didn't have those! We had Recess, Hey Arnold! and Captain Planet. Oh god, I miss those shows so much...

Oh. I get angry when I see young kids playing with iPads and iPhones and whatever else, and I start yelling at my poor computer whenever it updates and everything looks new and confusing (we have an abusive relationship, my computer and I, but we still love each other very much...).

And I still don't know how to work flat-screens. Curse you, technology.
I'm not even 19 yet and you make me feel like a geezer.

Watching so-called "Kids cartoon channels" and seeing all the sub-par cartoons and tweenie-pop crap. And I'm barely in my 20's! *SIGH*

It's my constant looking back at my childhood that makes me feel old. All those cool TV shows and ps2 platformers (for the most part at least).

I also find myself complaining about today's media every chance I get. As I'm writing this, I can hear my sister watching a Disney sitcom with those annoying laugh tracks.

Drenaje1:
I don't really feel that old. Except when the occasional treasured childhood TV show gets referenced or is playing. What usually follows is me bitterly eating some sugary snacks and then getting mad at my sister for watching things like iCarly, and, uh, what's it called...uh...huh. I don't know, it's some terrible show about a hollywood art school and a bunch of teenagers, the kind where laugh tracks play every 4 seconds or after someone breathes.

I feel your pain man. I can't even count on my fingers how many times my siblings watched the same episodes over and over again.

Whenever I talk with my wife, who's 6 years 6 months and 6 days younger than me (The numbah of the Beast!), about movies that came out in the early/mid 90s and she responds with, "I was 4 when that came out, so no, I didn't see it". Also, when I see kids I helped teach as Cub Scouts who are going to college.

i get more of a kick out of 16 bit consoles (sega genesis, N64 etc) than modern ones.

Dubstep, as of late. It's one of those things where I've noticed how cynical I am when I say, "It's just a fad"

Redlin5:

So Escapist, what makes you feel old?

I'm 27, and finishing up my B.S. (with two Minors in Chem and English Lit, and an Emphasis, granted).

What makes me feel old?
-The incoming freshman are now younger than my 22yr old brother who's a Marine.
-I've cared about the personality and intelligence of prospective dates more than physical looks and getting laid for years now.
-My current smartphone is slightly more powerful than my SECOND computer.
-I know how to cook for myself; I just finished a cinnamon-raisin loaf to have for breakfast today.
-My credit score is "Excellent"; usually in the 750-ish range, and I have yet to take out a Mortgage or Car Loan.
-My personality is generally well-defined and I can predict my responses to a pretty high degree of accuracy. My convictions are pretty solid, my opinions usually well-informed, and I take lots of pride in my strengths while acknowledging my weaknesses.
-I'm starting to feel competitive with younger guys; even though I'm nowhere near my peak physical fitness.
-I'm starting to attract women who want more than the "fixer-up badboy" stereotype after they've learned that guys don't change through the power of love unless they want to change in the first place.
-Nutrition and healthy behaviors has increased to the point where three-day-old pizza is no longer attractive.
-People who still smoke pot at my age are now officially near-useless and contribute little to society besides minimum-wage labor, programming, and support for Ron Paul.
-A few of my friends have been married, and a few have even been divorced.
-Voting is actually becoming important (though dissolving the Electoral College would be preferable).

That's about all I can think of right now.

Someone asked me the other day what a Super Nintendo was, and why people 10 years ago didn't just use their cell phones to go on the internet.

When i play my PS1 games. Makes me feel that this shooter game that abbreviates into a fish partially ruined gaming.

SciMal:
SNIP

I'll need to check your list in seven years <.<

Mario, indecently

i've both been alive longer, and playing video games, longer then he's even existed, let alone been important.

i remember phones with cords, not only that, phones with cords that did not have buttons (they're called rotary phones for you young folk out there)

i remember when having a 'big screen TV' also meant you had a place to put your record player and tape deck.

i remember when CDs where the 'big new thing'

and lastly

life before the internet, it did exist, and it wasn't that bad :D

Hemlet:
Reboot (Alpha Numeric! This is bad...really, really bad)

Oh god, I'm such a fanboy of that show; About 2 years ago I found a [REDACTED] of the entire series (no publication even existed of the entire series until last year) and I probably giggled like a stereotypical schoolgirl for the next few joy-and-nostalgia-filled hours...

Man, now I'm itching to rewatch it all again RITE NAO; Marathon starting in a nano!

When you remember that you first saw the Phantom Menace when you were only 8 years old.

SciMal:
-The incoming freshman are now younger than my 22yr old brother who's a Marine.

Working on my PhD also, and yeah, fershman always make you feel ancient.

SciMal:
-I've cared about the personality and intelligence of prospective dates more than physical looks and getting laid for years now.

Going the other way myself, when I was in my teens early 20's I cared about personality, commitment and intelligence, now I can just go out, get laid (with the correspondent precautions) and forget about troubles.

SciMal:
-My current smartphone is slightly more powerful than my SECOND computer.

Hehe... well, my current dumbphone is more powerful than my first... granted, a toaster is more powerful than a 8086 nowdays.

SciMal:
-I know how to cook for myself; I just finished a cinnamon-raisin loaf to have for breakfast today.

O.o
And that makes you feel old? I started learning recepies here and there at 18, have some of them mastered now.

SciMal:
-My credit score is "Excellent"; usually in the 750-ish range, and I have yet to take out a Mortgage or Car Loan.

I don't even know my score, but my credit history is flawless and usually only use debit cards. Might be forced into a Car Loan soon -.-

sigh

SciMal:
-My personality is generally well-defined and I can predict my responses to a pretty high degree of accuracy. My convictions are pretty solid, my opinions usually well-informed, and I take lots of pride in my strengths while acknowledging my weaknesses.

Same here in the predictions, but i also like to play that on other people, that is simulate entire conversations or discussions and then go and see how accurate I was...
that said, talking to yourself is only crazy if you do it aloud right?

SciMal:
-I'm starting to feel competitive with younger guys; even though I'm nowhere near my peak physical fitness.

Sigh... my belly grew sooo much last year -.-

SciMal:
-I'm starting to attract women who want more than the "fixer-up badboy" stereotype after they've learned that guys don't change through the power of love unless they want to change in the first place.

For anything other than casual sex? Sadly i know exactly what kind of women i like, and they are not good for me, nor i have been able to change the pattern.

SciMal:
-Nutrition and healthy behaviors has increased to the point where three-day-old pizza is no longer attractive.

Have you read The End of Illness? NOTHING three day old is attractive, well, almost.

SciMal:
-People who still smoke pot at my age are now officially near-useless and contribute little to society besides minimum-wage labor, programming, and support for Ron Paul.

I am not so sure, have friends that still do it and can manage their lives well. I never liked pot myself, like uppers, not depressives, and still do some nicotine from diferent sources here and there. Also, Ron Paul is by far your most interesting GOP candidate in the ballots, and in the long run i think he is your best candidate overall, not that he can win.

SciMal:
-A few of my friends have been married, and a few have even been divorced.

Mhee, every marriage of friends I always support them, wish them the best and remind them that the CONDOM is the most important ring shaped object, at least the first years of marriage.

SciMal:
-Voting is actually becoming important (though dissolving the Electoral College would be preferable).

Voting is for suckers, it does nothing cuz the candidate that wins is the one with most funding everytime, and the candidate knows it was thanks to that money that he got there and that he depends on that money for future endevours, the voter is worthless. Doing political activism? Now we are talking, but for some reason activism has been a dirty word since the 60-70...
Also, i have grown distant from activism, too much history with too many girls there -.-

I predate both Wikipedia and Google, as well as wireless Internet entirely and the advent of it as common-place on mobile phones.

In fact, pretty much if you can point out something we define as an integral part of our modern age, chances are I'm older than it. I remember with nostalgia the days when using the Internet meant a modem in the corner making angry noises at you and checking with everyone else beforehand in case anyone was expecting a phonecall.

I watched Pinky & The Brain this morning (Up before 10 is crazy for me), and understanding jokes that would've gone straight over my head at age 7 makes me feel really old.

Not sure if it makes me feel "old" but I simply can't get into today's music.
At all >.>

And I just realised this year is the 10th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts.

*cries*

Realizing that kids will never know what VCR/cassette tapes are. That and the original projectors in class, where you had 1 platisc slide on at a time.

Dakota Fanning. It seemed like last year she was blessing us with her bratty, banshee voice in the War of the Worlds remake, when in reality last year she had a scene where she was masturbating to Farah Fawcett. Just writing that sentence makes me feel like a pedophile.

The fact that everyone younger than me has no idea who MC Hammer and Queen were.
The fact that I still have a copy of Windows 3.1 on a floppy along with Duke Nukem and Jazz Jack Rabbit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked