Anonymous Threatens To Shut Down Internet Next Month

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I would not mind, might get the nerds out i suppose.

Burtono:
I would not mind, might get the nerds out i suppose.

Said without apparent irony, on a gaming website. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, that "nerds" never go outside?

Saucycarpdog:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Their hackers will black out the net!

Then we will fight IRL.

Seems legit...

Qitz:
So you know what? Do it. Do it, I dare you. That way, when the millions of people you pissed off come for you, you'll be burned at the stake and we'll be done away with a bunch of useless DDOS'ers.

Not to mention the most sadistic culture on the internet. "Humor" is literally an excuse for any and all immoral behavior to them.

Not that it doesn't leave other terrible cultures like Something Awful...

Heck, I'm not sure I think too highly of the Escapist culture. And the seeming worship of Corporate, new games. Of Copyright, of Elder Scrolls, and so forth. And a maniacal, illogical hatred of piracy.

Anon talks big...doubt they'll be able to pull it off tho, but if they do, props. Maybe I can get something done then.

ResonanceSD:
Said without apparent irony, on a gaming website.

Don't ever go to Something Awful. It lives up to the name, this sort of mentality encapsulates their entire culture.

In some ways, they're the antithesis of 4chan, but in some ways, they're just as bad. And believe it or not, their site heavily influences several of the more putrid areas of the 4chan culture.

Yeah, Anonymous is going to pull off a feat that master hackers have been attempting to do for the life of the internet and that several high budget organization are entirely dedicated to fighting. The best anyone ever pulled off was hitting one or two root DNS servers and that did jack shit to the internet when it happened. In addition this displays a fundamental lack of knowledge of the internet since, you know, fucking caches and Top level domain servers. This is the claim of ignorant student starting out in his Internet college class not a learned and masterful organization planing the biggest bit of cyber terrorism ever. Not to mention that doing that would literally make Anonymous the number one on every internet security organization's list of threats and one of the most hated and sought after groups for every government in the world. It would essentially lead to every organization with any power to do so trying to do the equivalent of nuking from orbit anything connected to Anonymous.

LilithSlave:

Qitz:
So you know what? Do it. Do it, I dare you. That way, when the millions of people you pissed off come for you, you'll be burned at the stake and we'll be done away with a bunch of useless DDOS'ers.

Not to mention the most sadistic culture on the internet. "Humor" is literally an excuse for any and all immoral behavior to them.

Heck, I'm not sure I think too highly of the Escapist culture. And the seeming worship of Corporate, new games. Of Copyright, of Elder Scrolls, and so forth. And a maniacal, illogical hatred of piracy.

Pft. Only the vocal minority have irrational hatred of piracy and like it up the bum from big corporations. I do love me some TES though.

LilithSlave:

Qitz:

Nah I'm good with supporting copyright, my industry is affected by piracy, till it isn't, I'll gladly wave the corporate flag.

LilithSlave:

ResonanceSD:
Said without apparent irony, on a gaming website.

Don't ever go to Something Awful. It lives up to the name, this sort of mentality encapsulates their entire culture.

In some ways, they're the antithesis of 4chan, but in some ways, they're just as bad. And believe it or not, their site heavily influences several of the more putrid areas of the 4chan culture.

I don't go to those sites anyway -_-

I know better than to underestimate these guys but I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one. It would take a whole hell of a lot bots to shut out the entire internet. I doubt they even have a fraction of a fraction of what is needed to do as described.

On the assumption that it is possible and anon would actually do it.

Then Like this guy said:

evilneko:
March 30: ISPs worldwide adjust the expire time of their DNS caches.
March 31: Nobody notices a damn thing.

Fairly simple.

But It would probably get any Governements attention and might have an impact.

But I don't think they are stupid enough to do it. Also You can just manually type in the IP address.

Then We get FOX News or in Australia TGB. Spinning everything and saying something about LEET HAX BEING BAD or something...

Not gonna happen

ivansnick:
On the assumption that it is possible and anon would actually do it.

Then Like this guy said:

evilneko:
March 30: ISPs worldwide adjust the expire time of their DNS caches.
March 31: Nobody notices a damn thing.

Fairly simple.

But I don't think they are stupid enough to do it. Also You can just manually type in the IP address.

Using IP addresses is not a very good solution, actually, especially putting the IP directly into your browser's address bar. For example, do you know off the top of your head the Escapist's IP address? How about reddit's? Even if you did, do you also know the IP addresses of the various other servers Escapist pulls content from?

Not all websites have their own dedicated IP address, either. For example, a single server with a single address can be configured to serve up one site if a user browses to example.com, and a totally different site if a user enters foobar.com. If the user enters just the server's IP address, he might get one or the other, or something else entirely.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

OH MAN!

If doing this were actually possible, we might as well not have Internet, because attention-whoring script kiddies would be doing it every other day.

evilneko:
Not all websites have their own dedicated IP address, either. For example, a single server with a single address can be configured to serve up one site if a user browses to example.com, and a totally different site if a user enters foobar.com. If the user enters just the server's IP address, he might get one or the other, or something else entirely.

Hmmmm Hadn't considered that

Well My point was really to say that it wouldn't work. not to say I would have an effective solution.

But in reality I can go a couple of days with no internet. I had to put up with no Internet about 6 months back when all My DSL router decided to fail... And my backup not to work....

I'd like them to do it, simply because it would be an incredible feat.

gigastrike:
...Can they do that?

gigastrike:
...Can they do that?

Yeah, it's pretty easy actually. You just have to clog the tubes, and then hide all the plungers.

No way. I work as a computer engineer. They could just reset their servers and the data flow would also be reset.

This is a definite case of "When all you have is a hammer..." All Anon actually seem capable of doing is DDoS attacks, and apparently enough of them actually believe this will solve all problems. Regardless, I doubt they'll succeed.

I've never understood how anonymity can form a group and have press releases...

Well I'll just have to connect using the IP instead of using the DNS to figure out the IP for me. Lol.

I doubt they could do it if they would, and I don't believe they would.

I find their threat unlikely, but other than that it really wouldn't accomplish much.

The ancient windbags already pushing SOPA, PIPA and ACTA would have a field day with that using it as some kind of propaganda campaign to say "these cyber terrorists are exactly why we need these laws" or something equally absurd and obtuse.

Who knows though, maybe if they do it the message could sink in to the ignorant politicians that hey, the vast majority of the internet thinks your bills are stupid and we don't want them. But I doubt it.

ResonanceSD:
[quote="Burtono" post="18.351177.13919449"]I would not mind, might get the nerds out i suppose.

Said without apparent irony, on a gaming website. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, that "nerds" never go outside?

Im not saying that they never go outside, its just without the internet, maybe I and many other fellow nerds will do something else.

Twilight_guy:
Yeah, Anonymous is going to pull off a feat that master hackers have been attempting to do for the life of the internet and that several high budget organization are entirely dedicated to fighting. The best anyone ever pulled off was hitting one or two root DNS servers and that did jack shit to the internet when it happened. In addition this displays a fundamental lack of knowledge of the internet since, you know, fucking caches and Top level domain servers. This is the claim of ignorant student starting out in his Internet college class not a learned and masterful organization planing the biggest bit of cyber terrorism ever. Not to mention that doing that would literally make Anonymous the number one on every internet security organization's list of threats and one of the most hated and sought after groups for every government in the world. It would essentially lead to every organization with any power to do so trying to do the equivalent of nuking from orbit anything connected to Anonymous.

Well actually its funnier than that if you really look at the technology. By the description of the way the attack is going to happen, it couldn't. Because to restrict access to the point that they'd have to, they'd be restricting themselves from causing the action. Its not really possible, although its an interesting thought. The only way they could do it is to have someone physically at each DNS location log in locally and do it. Thats not going to happen.

I'd love to see this happen just to see the backlash and what happens...But like everyone else has said it probably won't be a good thing that happens.

Saucycarpdog:
Then we will fight in the shade.

No but seriously, I really doubt Anon has this capibility or else they would have done it long ago.

Nice avatar.

OT: I highly doubt they have the ability to shut down the internet.

Hah, no. Shutting down the internet is a fairly big job. Just a little. I seriously doubt they have THAT much power.

If they do, however, have the power, it's a stupid idea. This'll draw more support to SOPA and the others, not take it away. Google and Wikipedia protesting? Yeah, that was voluntary, and was a much better way to express disapproval.

Baldry:
I'd love to see this happen just to see the backlash and what happens...But like everyone else has said it probably won't be a good thing that happens.

I know what happens!

Homework becomes inaccessible near the last week of class.... FREEDOM!

Sarcastic, condescending statement: Good luck with that...

This proves that they are in fact terrorists, and they are no better than those they oppose. Plus, they're late. Added to that, the internet is populated almost solely by SOPA haters, so this makes about as much sense as Han Solo shooting up the Hoth base to stop the empire, or Gandalf burning Gondor to the ground in order to stop the armies of Mordor.

P.S. On a more polite note, they are being extremely counter productive just by threatening to shut down the internet. Why don't they go root out kingpins of drug cartels or something else useful so they aren't such a blight to humanity.

Mortai Gravesend:

Baldry:

I know what happens!

Homework becomes inaccessible near the last week of class.... FREEDOM!

OH GOD! I just realised, how will I learn without Wikipedia!

So, naturally, this subject was all talk. Rather predictable, of course.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked