Bullies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I really, REALLY, dont like bullies. I find them to be pathetic, annoying and sometimes downright disgusting. But I suppose I should explain myself first. In the past I was laughed at, alot, nothing ever physical just constant laughter. no one ever told me why it just seemed everyone liked to have a good chuckle at my expense. Some may not have realized how much it hurt my inside but there were some who that they were hurting me and enjoyed it anyway. I kept my self bottled up and one day, dont remember when or why. I snapped and just started yelling and screaming. It made people stop so that was how it was for a while. One day the principle called me to his office and told me my anger was becoming a real problem. He told me how one person from my class really like me as a person but was honestly really scared of me. That really tore me up inside. I never wanted to hurt anyone I just wanted people to leave me alone. So I did what i thought would make everything better and cut myself off from the world. Didn't make friends, kept quiet and sat alone. I either hid myself behind a blank stare or a fake smile. I was just wishing, someone, anyone would just come up to me and ask if I was okay but no one ever did. I slowly became a lonely, short tempered ( still kinda am ) and overall depressed and bitter person. I wanted to be different, I really did but i just really wanted a friend first. hell I even tried killing myself twice, as you can guess I suck at it. Over time though I stopped feeling sorry for myself, manned the fuck up and grew a pair. I started by learning more and becoming a much more intelligent person. Then I started becoming more athletic and felt physically better as well. then I became more social and people became pretty nice to me. I just started to become and overall better person. Today, I pride myself with intelligence and worry about my own opinion instead what others think. I always try to be a calm and kind person who puts others before himself and tries to help those who ask or look like they need it. So my question is. Have you ever been bullied? how did it shape you as a person? Were you ever a bully? Do you feel sorry for what you did?

If you have anything want to say on this topic please do. I will accept all questions asked of me. Please take this seriously and try to be sensitive of other people.

My step-father bullied the shit out of me. Mostly it just made me hate him. It meant that I spent a lot of time in my bedroom reading so that I wouldn't have to deal with him, which fostered a life-long love of both books and history. It also made me more understanding of why other kids might act the way they did in school (I've found the old cliche that bullies have a crappy home life to be pretty consistently true in my own dealings with them).

I was also bullied all through school because I was "weird".. which, as we all know, is the worst possible thing a kid can be! *lol* I just smiled and took it for a long time because when I was a kid, it wasn't something we "bothered" adults with unless someone was causing us serious physical harm. It happened and we were expected to sort it amongst ourselves. Around middle school I developed a thick layer of sarcasm to deflect the worst of it and, because I was pretty smart, I was able to make them look stupid without their realizing it until it was too late and people were laughing at them. I guess that in a way that makes me a bully, too. I don't feel at all bad about it, though, because from where I was standing they had it coming.

So, I suppose it shaped my life by making me bookish and sarcastic. I can't really say how it shaped my interactions with other people because I don't (and never have) interacted in a normal way with others, but that's because of something else entirely.

lion el jhonson:
Have you ever been bullied? how did it shape you as a person? Were you ever a bully? Do you feel sorry for what you did?

I wasn't bullied but I was teased before high-school. I sort of had the same reaction as you did, one day I just got really mad at people except instead of shutting myself off from people I started making friends.

I actually was a bully, In a way I do feel sorry but I also know that those days are long behind me. I'm not proud of the way I treated people back then but most bullies do it because they are insecure, Puberty can really mess with your head.

I've changed though, I'm much more comfortable in my own skin and I try not to hurt people's feelings, still happens but that's life.

Well I never bullied, I had a friend who was and I stepped up for him.
Some people started trying to do stuff to me too because I just helped a friend in need and I didn't care, they didn't get ANY reaction from me and stopped.
I have always been athletic and pretty mediocre when it comes to intelligence.

This topic thou brings me to one point.
Bullying can have very ad consecuenses, as the OP said he tried to kill himself.
Here in Finland in the last month we've had 2 kids (one aged 16 and one 10) who got enough of the bullying and stabbed the bully.
No kidding here, two kids have stabbed their bullyies, neither died but both are in hospital.

I just wish people would understand to not do this kind of shit.

In Elementary School, I was never bullied simply because, looking back on it now, I ended up being in the bullies' "group." there was a kid we used to pick on, and I really feel bad about it now and we've since made amends. (And he also makes 3x what I do in salary, so who's laughing now eh?)

However my family moved to a different town just as I was going into grade 8, and as I still kept in touch with my old friends, at the same time making new friends, I can -really- see how that move saved me from a dark road. In high school, I was picked on. For the most part it was never anything serious, and as I was fortunate enough to have very good parents who taught me how to react properly to the stresses in my life, it never really escalated into anything serious. In fact the closest I got to a violent retaliation in High School is when some guy just wouldn't shut up and I finally had enough and slapped him. He was so stunned that I'd had the stones to do that (I was a very calm person who still to this day hates resorting to violence, and he was a well known scrapper.) that he immediately shut up and left me alone after that.

The lesson I've learned is that there is no 'one way' to deal with bullies, and each situation must be measured individually. From what I heard, the guy we used to bully in elementary school got over it by going to the gym, and joining the boxing team, and ended up becoming one of the most popular guys at school. I dealt with it by surrounding myself in a group of awesome friends in high school, and while me slapping someone was very much against character, in the end it showed this person that no, I was not afraid to stand up for myself, and h left me alone.

I don't like bullying, but it is part of human nature, being a bully and then being bullied taught me that I cannot rely on "authority" figures to solve my problems, that's why they are 'my' problems, and I must stand up and solve them myself. And that's a lesson that has greatly shaped who I am today, for better or worse.

Yeah, bullying sort of ruined my social skills as well.
Not that I wasn't a bit awkward before people started bullying me.
Understand that I mostly mean psychological bullying. Only one or two of my bullies ever hit me, and that was never hard enough to do any actual harm (Except for an isolated incident where a guy tried to kick me in the head because I'd grabbed onto his scarf which he'd been using to whip me with.). The core of the bullying consisted of threats, social ostracizing, name-calling, making me feel uncomfortable and intimidation.

I'm pretty much past the depressions and the whole objectivism phase, but the lack of social proficiency still lingers. I worry most people around me find me annoying to some extent, and I've never had a girlfriend. Nor am I likely to get one in the near future.

The worst part, perhaps, is that it seemed people liked me better when I was still depressed. I don't blame them: My smile is sheepish, my humour is either deadpan, annoyingly cheesy, or relies on obscure trivia knowledge, and when I now try to participate in some silly conversations I always seem to misstep and pull jokes too far.

I can remember two incidents where I snapped. Once, a couple of guys (not my usual bullies for some reason) had grabbed my beanie, and were tossing it between eachother. I was trying to get them to stop rather than trying to catch it, I think. Finally, one of them missed a throw, and my hat landed in the mud. I ran to grab it, and when I picked it up the guys were standing next to me. When I stood up, the guy closest to me said "what did the hand say to the face". In response, I just looked at him resentfully. "Slap!"
Instantly after slapping me, he turned around to walk away. I was standing there, stunned with anger. In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to put the guy in a headlock. And he'd revealed his back to me, so I did. He was a decent bit taller than me, so I had to jump to reach his neck properly. I think this created a sort of twisting motion as I moved towards the ground. He appeared to be in a good bit of pain.
Other than my fear of having done some serious damage, it felt good.

The other one was the aforementioned guy who tried to kick me in the head.
He'd been whipping me with his scarf, so after a while I'd grabbed onto it. He'd then walked up to me and started slapping me in the face and kicking me on the shin alternatingly. I resolved to keep my calm, stay seated, and react with witty comments for the onlookers. I counted how many times he hit me, and made comments on how awesome and dignified a person he was.
That's when he tried to kick me in the head.
Luckily, he missed and hit my shoulder instead.
I jumped up and shouted at him about whether he had any idea how dangerous that was, and then walked away.

I was bullied from primary school, both by the headteacher (a nun, and now is fuel for the hell she deserves) and the students. It persisted through secondary school.

The result?

I have a beautiful girlfriend, a place is a quality university, and freinds I can trust and rely on.

Bullies are wankers, but they are inevitible. I see them round town and I see the misery of the dead-end life they have made for themselves.

"The Wheel Never Stops Turning" - Reynolds, M.

EDIT: I'm not religious.

I always got bullied through my entire school days (except for the last two years).
It didn't help my faith in humanity it got even worse when the teachers said "it,s just their behavioral disorder" (I,m autistic and went to a school with other autistic people...and students with behavioral disorders) one day I just walked out.
I considered killing myself to just get rid of the bullying.
I think his shit made me misanthropic.

I was bullied because I was small and weak, and in turn I bullied the kids who were smaller and weaker than me. I don't feel sorry for what I did, which isn't to say I would not apologize were I to meet the people I bullied because I think they deserve my apology. But yea, I don't feel sorry, because as a child my reasoning made sense to me, and it would be stupid to expect my 10 year old self to be better than, well, a 10 year old kid. I've long since put the dumb shit I did as a kid behind me.

Bullied at primary school for having a facial birthmark, bullied at secondary school (to the point of the Police removing me for my safety after some serious assaults) for being white, then during college when it started to become apparent I had mental health/learning issues.

Most of it was physical, and it's made me hard rather than broken, nothing really gets to me.

Why are these so many threads on Escapist about bullies? I wonder how many people get bullied in the average junior high / high school.

I was maybe slightly bullied (like, the butt of a joke or two) in high school, but I don't think there was much malice in it and it was a rare occurrence. I probably unknowingly "bullied" a few people too, also not out of malice. In any case, it was never really a problem for me. And I was a nerdy kid!

dyre:
Why are these so many threads on Escapist about bullies?

Because bullying is suddenly some super huge problem that definitely hasn't been around since the dawn of time. And apparently, just giving someone a dirty look makes you a bully.

It's a good thing bullies didn't exist when I was growing up. You know, before the internet was this big thing that caused every tiny problem to be blown way out of proportion. I don't know how we would have survived.

I used to think I was bullied a lot, in elementary school and sometimes middle school. But I realize now that I really wasn't bullied a lot, I just took everything too personally and was a bit paranoid. I think my perception at the time caused me to be generally mistrusting of people, but I've mostly gotten over that.

dyre:
Why are these so many threads on Escapist about bullies? I wonder how many people get bullied in the average junior high / high school.

If you consider the escapist's target demographic, I don't exactly think it's weird that the majority of users have experienced some bullying.
I mean... It's called the escapist.

-Samurai-:

dyre:

Because bullying is suddenly some super huge problem that definitely hasn't been around since the dawn of time. And apparently, just giving someone a dirty look makes you a bully.

It's a good thing bullies didn't exist when I was growing up. You know, before the internet was this big thing that caused every tiny problem to be blown way out of proportion. I don't know how we would have survived.

I mean they were simply having some fun, there are almost no bullies whatsoever and you know, those who did bully arent such a big deal and we should do nothing about them because they have been there for like the longest time.

*Oh look at me, im so tough because I can prance around people who got bullied and feel bad about it and act as though I dont care so im totally really tough, can you see how tough I am?*

Jonluw:

dyre:

If you consider the escapist's target demographic, I don't exactly think it's weird that the majority of users have experienced some bullying.
I mean... It's called the escapist.

Maybe it's because I went to a good school district, but people in my high school, as far as I know, didn't really get bullied, whether they were weird or disabled or nerdy or gamers. We even had a transvestite and a bunch of openly gay guys and no one bothered them.

Nikolaz72:

-Samurai-:

dyre:

I mean they were simply having some fun, there are almost no bullies whatsoever and you know, those who did bully arent such a big deal and we should do nothing about them because they have been there for like the longest time.

Because throwing hate at them from behind a computer screen is going to do something about them?

Nikolaz72:

-Samurai-:

dyre:

*Oh look at me, im so tough because I can prance around people who got bullied and feel bad about it and act as though I dont care so im totally really tough, can you see how tough I am?*

If I could accurately draw you a picture of the very wide margin by which you missed my point, I would. But I can't.

I'll just let you look like an ass instead. Keep working on those reading comprehension skills.

And for the love of god, don't type out some big post about how you were bullied or your friend took their own life because of a bully, and your heart bleeds for all those in a situation similar to yours.

Never been bullied, never have bullied.

My dad always taught me to give nothing for the bullies to go after, i did just that.

Most of the bullying in my primary and secondary school was verbal but I shot insults right back, also some tried to physically harm me and trust me after the first time they learned to fuck off.

Have I been bullied? Almost everyday for hours at a time for three to four years. I made the stupid decision to be friends with the guy, 'cause he was also the friend of a bunch of my friends.

How did it shape me? I am incredibly nervous around people and large crowds, I don't go out much, and I'm self-conscious about my appearance. At the same time, I'm also sure of myself mentally and feel very superior to a lot of my peers, especially ones who act like my bully did (which is to say, a rather large number). Dunno how I got that trait out of years of bullying, but I'm kinda thankful for it...I really like myself as a person.

Have I been a bully? Yeah, technically. I prefer to think of myself as a vigilante, though. The kid I bullied was an asshole who asked random girls whose phone numbers he somehow had to sext him. He sexually harassed more than a dozen girls (and that's being conservative), but my high school's administration never did anything about it (and if they did, I never heard about it). I have a huge problem with sexual harassment/abuse/assault/etc (and there's a very thin, blurry line between them), so I wanted to make sure that he got what was coming to him.

The guy who bullied me for years came up to the kid one day and verbally tore into him so bad, he started to cry. I felt bad for him at first, but then I remembered what he'd done. I had a bit more respect, too, for my former bully. I dunno whether or not this makes me a bad person, but I have zero regret for this. If it helps, I just ignore him now; he's paid his dues, in my mind.

I was bullied, mostly just verbal but sometimes they would push me around, try to steal my stuff or shove books off my desk. Then I snapped and shoved one of the guy's head into pavement, however I wasn't born evil so I didn't do it that hard. Afterwards it pretty much made me resent society and hate people. I hate the bullies for being bullies, but also the people who would give shit advice like ignoring them and say they have problems to so be the better person. Back in school they'd say follow the golden rule, treat others the way you want to be treated. That doesn't work, I treat people the way they treat me. Those experiences pretty much killed any empathy I had.

I tend to think of myself as one of those grumpy cats. Leave me alone and we'll be fine. Try to approach me and I'll scratch and bite. Treat me with respect and I'll be nice.

lion el jhonson:
I really, REALLY, dont like bullies.

I think you will be hard pressed to find reasonable people who do.

lion el jhonson:

Have you ever been bullied? how did it shape you as a person?

I have aspergers so that was pretty much inevitable. Unfortunately I live in a country where pacifist and positive Christianity formed the outlook of the authorities and my parents so for the first years the "Don't fight" thing was pretty ingrained. People would push and I would just have to fold.

Later on as I started reading through history and noting with interest the untold history of the church I began questioning it, and the values it'd tried to instil with it. I think I was around twelve when I first retaliated. I wasn't bullied after that, so I guess the answer is violence.

How did it shape me as a person? I've come to expect the worst from Danes, and I'm correct most of the time. I moved with my parents across the country after I was done with regular school and began college, I haven't bothered integrating myself into this community because its a temporary measure. Graduating this summer and I can finally start living.

I try to be pragmatic and forward thinking, and I'm not that concerned about other peoples feelings unless they matter to me.

-Samurai-:

dyre:

Its a very hot button topic because someone made a post a while back about how bullies were people and many people flipped out. And yes, its still a issue. Does anyone remember the kid who stabbed a kid who was going to physically assault him 11 times. Or the school district that had something like 5 kids commit suicide due to heavy bullying to LGBT members. Then we had a proud member of the 'It Gets Better' commit suicide earlier this year. My point is that there are tons of examples of it being a bad thing, and shouldn't be dropped because its been around for so long.

We shouldn't feel bad about war because its been around forever. We shouldn't be helping those with diseases since they have been around for so long. If a problem has been consistent throughout history it is still a problem.

Nikolaz72:

Because throwing hate at them from behind a computer screen is going to do something about them?

Well at least they aren't systematically hunting down their child hood torturers and killing them. So isn't this a better alternative?

To answer OP. I was bullied for about 4 years from the age of 8 to 12 or so. Mainly verbal but they did try to hit me several times, I very much flinch whenever it happened, they never wanted to bruise me so I would have no proof of what they were doing. Never bothered anyone with what was happening because I mainly hated to bother my parents with any problems of mine, they were already busy with work.

I had a asshole brother that would yell at me for messing something up even in the slightest. So I spent about 8 hours a day in school, 8 hours asleep, and then 5 hours either being yelled at by my brother or doing school work.

I eventually cracked and learned how to tie a hangmans noose, which was rather interesting. Failed to hang myself several times and walked myself out of deep depression which probably hurt myself more then anything else.

Unfortunately I am unphased by many things in life... I see the good in almost all situations... I got into a lot of fights in school, and I can say that due to my positive demeanor I never started any of them... unfortunately I am also not one to run away, or back down in that kind of scenario, especially if I am defending a freind. I have a slightly psychotic anger streak that kicks in in that kind of scenario, and I will st least get a few blows in before the fight is over... All fights I have ever been in were broken up, I have never been beaten up, and I have never beaten anyone else up, I have just thrown and recerived a few punches etc.

There was a lot of name calling too, as well as fights... but to be honest it never really bothered me... Years after some freinds and I were talking about the past, and being at school, and they thought that I was bullied at school, even though I never saw it myself!

I used to fly into rages when I got angry... and it was difficult to control, it resulted in things being broken, and on rare occasions I would get hurt... Being sent into those situations at school helped me realise that I needed to control them, and I had plenty of chances to try. Now I can control them well... I can use the strengths that come with rage to my advantage, but I will no longer lash out at random objects, or shout incredibly hurtfull things at people... it all good!

Aprilgold:

-Samurai-:

dyre:

Its a very hot button topic because someone made a post a while back about how bullies were people and many people flipped out. And yes, its still a issue. Does anyone remember the kid who stabbed a kid who was going to physically assault him 11 times. Or the school district that had something like 5 kids commit suicide due to heavy bullying to LGBT members. Then we had a proud member of the 'It Gets Better' commit suicide earlier this year. My point is that there are tons of examples of it being a bad thing, and shouldn't be dropped because its been around for so long.

We shouldn't feel bad about war because its been around forever. We shouldn't be helping those with diseases since they have been around for so long. If a problem has been consistent throughout history it is still a problem.

I'm starting to wonder if someone changed the meaning of some words while I wasn't looking. Where do people keep reading that I said that it should be ignored because it has been happening forever? I'll show you where; Nowhere.(Don't take "you" personally. It's more of a collective "you".)

The point is to answer the question that I quoted. One that everyone conveniently forgets to read.

Why do bully topics keep sprouting up in media and on this site? Because society likes to bitch and turn molehills into mountains.

Bullying a problem? Sure, for some. Bullying a new epidemic that came from out of the blue? Not a chance. It's a flavor of the month. Like Pokemon, yoyos, and Tech Decks.

Suddenly our society(thanks to media and the internet) treats every problem or incident like it's the most important thing in the world, when it's really no more important than it was 15 years ago. A kid getting bullied used to be a cause for minor concern. Now suddenly it's a travesty. Bullies aren't misunderstood or misguided anymore. They're terrorists.

Honestly, I think our society needs to toughen up and get out of this "Won't somebody think of the children?!" state. Sadly, it won't happen for quite a long time.

The current generation of kids, while annoying now, will know that you handle these problems by caring about them for starters*, then following up with reports of kids being bullied, and instilling and following through with harsh punishments for bullies and the like.

*Let's face it. The current people that have the power to help prevent things from happening don't care, because they went through it without help, and expect todays youth to do the same. It's just like the SOPA thing. The ones in charge aren't entirely educated on the problem, and wouldn't know how to fix it.

Never been bullied. Short, nerdy, clever, obedient, and somehow I was accepted. Hooray!
Whenever I feel down I try and remember that no matter how many people might give me shit, I have not and never will be picked on.

I'm ashamed to say that I might have accidentally bullied someone. I and some friends made jokes about a guy fairly often, but I hope they weren't offensive and he doesn't care...

dyre:

Because Zangief kid...

That incident + social networks + news stations paying interest had grown-ups talking about bullying and give it a lot of importance and that makes young people to talk about it too.

I have been bullied most of my days in school, but during a few years after I switched schools it happend in my neighbourhood instead.
and when I got to high school and met completely different people it all began anew, but this time I had some friends to help me through it, so I managed.

the worst part was between when I was 10 to when I was 15.
during this time I was laughed at, spat at and punched at, and at one point I had to be brought to the hospital with an ambulance because of a very serious asthma episode cause by one kid blowing cigarette smoke down my throat.

I never tried o kill my self, thought I did consider it.
the bullying has left me pretty awkward around new people, I can't relax around them because of fear.

but I think it has also made me a more caring and respectful person, because I don't assume things about people before knowing them

I've been bullied and it has made me less short tempered for the positive thing. On the negative thing I don't seek contact with people because I don't trust anyone. I doubt I will ever be able to stay in a long term relationship because I have problems understanding social situations and I am suspicious when anyone is interested in me. Although with the personality I have adopted I don't see the bad thing of not wanting a relationship so at least my personality and social issues agree.

dyre:

Because discussing your problems and letting it out is better than hiding it from everyone and bottling it up.

Aprilgold:

dyre:

Well at least they aren't systematically hunting down their child hood torturers and killing them. So isn't this a better alternative?

A bit of a false dilemma, but I suppose if I was forced between either complaining or murdering, yeah, I'd choose the former? O_o

-Samurai-:

Nikolaz72:

-Samurai-:

If I could accurately draw you a picture of the very wide margin by which you missed my point, I would. But I can't.

I'll just let you look like an ass instead. Keep working on those reading comprehension skills.

And for the love of god, don't type out some big post about how you were bullied or your friend took their own life because of a bully, and your heart bleeds for all those in a situation similar to yours.

I'll be honest man, your post was confusing for me too. Weird mix of sarcastic comments and serious comments at the same time :P

Sure was. Doubly worse when your cousins join in and the fact that your mom is a teacher at the school makes you an even better target. Not much physical bullying, just the usual making-your-life-miserable. Results: no social skills leading to further isolation throughout the rest of my life, cynical and fatalistic outlook. Not helped by the constant tension in the family and the quite shocking deaths of close family members (Christmas Eve, anyone?). Suppose i'd have turned out differently if things didn't happen so, but i'll never know.

I was bullied allot from years 7 - 9 and am now nearly halfway through year 10 at a new school with only 200 people. My self confidence is improving and I recently went to a party for the first time. Bullying ruined me emotionally, it made me cynical and depressed but strengthened my belief in morals, It also lead to me getting better grades as I found solace in my work and found something that I could excel at. Now I carry an enjoyment of academic subjects and a renewed self confidence.

TLDR: It fucked me up, but I am getting better at a new school

Luckily, I haven't been bullied in school. I'm the ideal candidate for it (funny looking, slightly overweight, terrible depth perception, nerdy, somewhat awkward around new people, especially girls). My school is on the small side (around 400 kids total) so everyone in each grade knows each other, and that seems to reduce bullying. I'm also really nice to everybody, so I guess that makes them nicer back.

I'm currently in Year 10 at school, and in some ways you could say I get bullied, in other ways you could say I joke with everyone. People make fun of me, I make fun of them, everyone has a great laugh. In fact, I would say that is how I manage to get on with people. I don't know.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked