Shots fired from Canadian government, the war against marijuana may end in 7 days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Higgs303:
I'm not really into pot, but I don't see how a country can classify alcohol and tobacco as completely legal substances, while classifying cannabis as an illict substance. Cannabis is significantly less of a health risk than tobacco and less of a societal risk than alcohol (probably less of a health risk as well). Seems that all three substances should either be completely legal or completely banned, no pick and choose.

It's simply misinformation that causes things like this. The governments are run by real people, and they can be swayed just as easily as anybody else.

In America and Canada we have national food guides that are telling us to eat unhealthily, how is this you ask, misinformation. Our governments were simply listening to the wrong people and were convinced. Now we have a society that is convinced that all fat is really bad for you and should be avoided, but breads and grains are pure health food.

Yeah, go eat a ton of fucking bread, I'm sure you will lose some weight, and that's exactly what the guides tell us to do, we're taught about the food guides in grade school for Christ's sake.

Kendarik:

Once again, not to bring up actual facts, but that's not what happened. All opposition parties were saying at the time they wanted to bring the government down the first chance they got. Of course the public was against that in EVERY poll, including polls of opposition supporters. People wanted them to try and work together.

So, on a technical matter, a committee that was opposition controlled put forward a recommendation that the government (not the PM) was in contempt. Something which on matters like this is NOT a criminal offense/conviction.

The House, which was then majority controlled by the opposition, used that as an excuse to bring down the government thinking it would fool the people. It didn't, resulting in the to leading opposition parties getting their asses kicked in the election.

That's not what happened either though, the government refused to release requested information relating to a series of bills introduced. The Harper Government has been widely criticized for being a closer doors and secretive operation, and after promising a transparent system of government, this was simply seen as the final straw. Maybe the public didn't want an election, but in the eyes of the opposition, the people dealing with politics every moment of their lives, perhaps to them the government was taking a huge piss all over everybody.

They pretty much did say they wanted to remove him from power, but only because they honestly held the belief the current government simply did not respect democracy. This was clear for the start, and they were given an excuse to act on, and they ran with it. Also the Liberals and Bloc Quebecois may have been shattered, but guess who wasn't? The NDP gained about 70 seats while Harper got about 23 more, they didn't win, but they certainly didn't get their asses kicked.

Kendarik:

The majority of the people saw the opposition as the ones abusing the system and acting as hypocrites (the PM can't shut down the house temporarily but they force an election call right after we just had an election?)

BTW, if the PM wanted to ignore the court in a majority situation he could. Not by using some underhanded method, but by the method set out in the constitution. He just has to invoke the "not withstanding" clause. All you tin foil hats that claim he would be an evil dictator when he got a majority seem to forget the fact that he respected the people. By now he could have banned gay marriage, made homosexual sex illegal, banned all immigration, and any other thing he wanted to do. But see, he's working within the system and without invoking any extremes. He's also kept his word more than most politicians of any party. The horrible budget people expected when he got in was 99% the same budget as he presented before the government fell when opposition parties were dancing around trying to make a deal to sign on.

The prime minister does not have the authority to openly ignore the constitution, if he tried any of your examples he would be thrown from office before the lynch mobs could even step out from their front doors. That's kind of what the constitution is all about, protecting people from corrupted governments by means of political sanctuary.

I really hope this goes through, I've only been to Canada once, but if they legalize it there, maybe Obama will legalize it here.

Waaghpowa:
The fact that Canada could be legalizing marijuana is a sign that society is slowly getting out of its old close minded ways.

Hmmm, it's mostly because as time goes on, the younger generations get closer and closer to the top of the world, politicians raised in the 50s and 60s are becoming scarcer and scarcer, while more enlightened generations are filling their spots. Within 10 years nearly every politician will have been raised in the 70s or 80s, this is when teenagers started seeing through all the bullshit and simply ignored all the propaganda.

Regnes:

Waaghpowa:
The fact that Canada could be legalizing marijuana is a sign that society is slowly getting out of its old close minded ways.

Hmmm, it's mostly because as time goes on, the younger generations get closer and closer to the top of the world, politicians raised in the 50s and 60s are becoming scarcer and scarcer, while more enlightened generations are filling their spots. Within 10 years nearly every politician will have been raised in the 70s or 80s, this is when teenagers started seeing through all the bullshit and simply ignored all the propaganda.

Of course things change when the new generation replaces the old, that's a given. But not all things change, things like religion or morality will always play a part in how someone conducts themselves in politics. When it comes to pot, some people seem to have a crusader like hatred towards it. (I personally hate the stuff)

Perhaps close minded is the wrong word, but the point I was making in the original post is that making a substance, that people are going to get regardless of the law, illegal (not to mention enforcing it) is a waste of time and money, and that people are too stuck in their ways to admit to it. You figure history would have been enough to show that.

Waaghpowa:

Of course things change when the new generation replaces the old, that's a given. But not all things change, things like religion or morality will always play a part in how someone conducts themselves in politics. When it comes to pot, some people seem to have a crusader like hatred towards it. (I personally hate the stuff)

Hmmm yup, there are people who obviously aren't going to be swayed by the scope of things. As mentioned before, Stephen Harper, the most powerful man in Canada, is very anti-marijuana, but the odd fanatic can't hold it back forever. Despite his influence, he has been unable to achieve any success in making the substance carry even more heavy legal consequences, and he certainly wasn't able to prevent this issue from coming to court. He's been a major thorn in the pro-legalization movement's backside though of course, has been dragging his feet the entire way.

Though, religion is on it's way out. Everyday the ratio between religious people and non-religious people is becoming larger and larger. The religious fanatics are getting worried, so they need to be more vocal and push harder to keep people under their wing. Basically I see them as the same thing as what Stephen Harper is to the marijuana situation, a relic of past times dragging their feet to stop the inevitable.

Though, perhaps I should be careful, I don't want to turn this into a marijuana and religious debate thread, god knows I don't want to add a new category to the List of Topics That Should Be Banned On These Forums lol.

Regnes:

Waaghpowa:

Hmmm yup, there are people who obviously aren't going to be swayed by the scope of things. As mentioned before, Stephen Harper, the most powerful man in Canada, is very anti-marijuana, but the odd fanatic can't hold it back forever. Despite his influence, he has been unable to achieve any success in making the substance carry even more heavy legal consequences, and he certainly wasn't able to prevent this issue from coming to court. He's been a major thorn in the pro-legalization movement's backside though of course, has been dragging his feet the entire way.

Though, religion is on it's way out. Everyday the ratio between religious people and non-religious people is becoming larger and larger. The religious fanatics are getting worried, so they need to be more vocal and push harder to keep people under their wing. Basically I see them as the same thing as what Stephen Harper is to the marijuana situation, a relic of past times dragging their feet to stop the inevitable.

Though, perhaps I should be careful, I don't want to turn this into a marijuana and religious debate thread, god knows I don't want to add a new category to the List of Topics That Should Be Banned On These Forums lol.

I'm not sure it really is religious people that is holding back legalization though.

chadachada123:
I wish that the US government had the same kind of party divide.

The Republicans and Democrats BOTH on the national level are equally anti-drug (and anti-privacy, anti-free speech, pro-corporationist, etc), and state levels means a whole lot of jack when the feds have marijuana prohibition.

Hmmm well it was pretty bleak over here until recently. All of our national parties were anti-marijuana until maybe the last half decade. Each of the three parties have different ideas about handling the situation.

The Conservatives insist on living in the 1930s and continuing prohibition, the NDP want to decriminalize it, and the Liberals wish to legalize it. The Liberals took this stance very recently when they were crushed in the recent election, they knew they had to reinvent their party.

Sadly their stances hardly matter when Stephen Harper has a death grip on this country and will likely keep it until 2015.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

wait how are potheads criminals? the only crime they committed is marijuana ownership which when you think about it not such a big deal.

NO IT ISN'T ! There are plenty of places where the police completely ignore drug sales and drug use as crimes. Most police in fact use drugs for recreation.

Hmmm since this has been bumped, it's probably worth mentioning that the hearing has been delayed to early May.

Also I wouldn't go as far as to say "Them evil corporations control the government", although I'm not sure I'd argue against someone who did say that about the US government

ahem..Big Oil? Monsato? fast food industries? Lockheed and Martin? outsourced Chinese and Taiwanese labor? Blood Diamonds? American "healthcare"? ooh and heres the big one, hollywood and the media not that theyve been trying to censor the internet, "self funded" fundamentalists and christian extremists, FEMA and the fact our capitalist representatives now majorly represent CORPORATIONS AS PEOPLE.

as for the weed deal, medicinal marihuana is legal in california. better than trying to CENSOR THE INTERNET and electing FUCKING LUNATICS INTO THE WHITE HOUSE in my opinion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked