Shots fired from Canadian government, the war against marijuana may end in 7 days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

As an advocate of everything in moderation (you don't like it? don't do it.), I must say that I am FOR legalizing Marijuana in Canada and USA...

[Only familiar with USA laws, sorry neighbors.]
once legalized it can be self-grown or FDA regulated and taxed if sold in stores.

And imposed with Import Tariffs, and anyone caught bringing in large quantities from out of the country can instead get charged with tax evasion by the IRS, and those guys don't mess around.
the IRS can freeze/lean/seize your bank accounts, your vehicles, your home, or any property you own...Including that trunk full of drug money. :P

Durgiun:
My reaction:

''HEY, GUYS! We're going to Canada for vacation this year!''

Hey, we already have a lower drinking age too :) Lots of 18-20 year olds cross from border towns to Canada all the time to drink.

Yopaz:

BOOM headshot65:
Well, not a big deal to me as a non-Canadian....but I pray to God nothing like this will ever happen in America. They are illegal for a reason. My heirarchy of how to treat it...

Smokers: Rehab
Pushers: Serious jail time
Lords: Shot and killed by commando team, then stock burned to the ground

Yeah, it's illegal for political and economical reasons, not because it's more harmful than any other legal substance. It's possibly even less harmful than what your government allows to be put into the your food and drink. The only thing legalizing it will change is that the substance will be properly regulated.

Its illegal because it is harmful. Granted, I will admit, out of the illegal, majuiana is much safer, and smoking it is safe...but thats where the problems start. It reduces reaction time and the like substanicially more than being drunk does. I guess I could handle it being legal, so long as it is essitially taxed to death (70% tax anyone? ;D). PS, this applies to tobacco and alcohol too.

Productivity will be down for about a week, then everything will be back to normal : \

Honestly doesn't seem like THAT big a deal to me; this is pot not meth. I doubt there will be many people doing pot who weren't already pot heads anyway. Alcohol hasn't had an endemic effect on society, I doubt pot will.

I might have a little bit occasionally if it's legalized; I've never been one to binge on such things though (I only drink on special occasions for example)

BOOM headshot65:
Well, not a big deal to me as a non-Canadian....but I pray to God nothing like this will ever happen in America. They are illegal for a reason. My heirarchy of how to treat it...

Drug lords wouldn't be much of a problem with some legitimate competition now would they? The reason drug cartels are so damn dangerous is because their goods are illegal! If you could just go to a pharmacy or a convenience store to buy this stuff, underground markets simply wouldn't exist.

edit: I should read more than the first page before posting :\

I think legalizing it is a bad idea. How can people who somke it honestly justify in allowing every dom, dick and harry to purchase it in a shop, legally, like it were a cigarette? Ok , cigarettes may damage your health in the long run, marijuana may not(So people say) but think about this, you can smoke a fag, then climb in a car and drive away, without anything altering your judgement. If you get high and do the same thing you could easily get someone killed.

I'm not against marijuana, smoke it all you want. Just don't make it legal it will end badly.

Well... My life plan for a while has been to emigrate to British Colombia and become a part of the Production Design sector. And I smoke weed. So this would be pretty awesome.

geK0:

BOOM headshot65:

Drug lords wouldn't be much of a problem with some legitimate competition now would they? The reason drug cartels are so damn dangerous is because their goods are illegal! If you could just go to a pharmacy or a convenience store to buy this stuff, underground markets simply wouldn't exist.

So are you saying we should, say legalize prostitution because "Oh, maybe the black market will go away"? No thank you, I would rather increase police funding, maybe get some national guard troops in there, and redouble our efforts to take them down.

BOOM headshot65:

Yopaz:

BOOM headshot65:

Yeah, it's illegal for political and economical reasons, not because it's more harmful than any other legal substance. It's possibly even less harmful than what your government allows to be put into the your food and drink. The only thing legalizing it will change is that the substance will be properly regulated.

Its illegal because it is harmful. Granted, I will admit, out of the illegal, majuiana is much safer, and smoking it is safe...but thats where the problems start. It reduces reaction time and the like substanicially more than being drunk does. I guess I could handle it being legal, so long as it is essitially taxed to death (70% tax anyone? ;D). PS, this applies to tobacco and alcohol too.

It's not illegal because it's harmful. It's been illegal because of various other reasons. The effects of any substance was basically unknown when it was outlawed. Tobacco was considered healthy at the time. They outlawed it because it hurt the lumber industry and that was important for those who were in charge. There have been campaigns to show how bad it is, but most of that has been bullshit. Nitrite which they add to to meat is a proven health risk, but that's not illegal. It's not even known to most of us. They allow the meat industry to put ground bones into our meat in order to get rid of the excess bones and get more profit. Your shampoo most likely contains harmful substances, but they allow it.

They don't make something illegal just because it's harmful. They always need a reason to make something illegal. Also as long as marijuana is illegal the government got no control over it. It can be grown almost anywhere. It can take up toxins from the ground and cause widespread heavy metal poisoning. If it's legal there can be some proper control over it. Also you really think it will help sending users of marijuana to rehab? THC is stored within fat cells so it can take months before it's out of the system meaning they can go quite a while without ever being clean. You are misinformed about the subject and believe what you're being told. I don't want it to be legalized any more than you do, but I know that keeping it illegal wont do shit. You want addicts to be treated like criminals, but addiction isn't a crime.

BOOM headshot65:

Actually it's illegal for no GOOD reason. It's actually severly less harmful then ciggerates or alcohol. You can't even OD on it. It has no physically addicting properties (For real, anyone that says their addicted to marijuana just has intensely low will power)

BOOM headshot65:
-

That's a little off topic, but sure!

Legitimize it, regulate it, tax it!
Less STD infection, less abuse towards prostitutes, less human trafficking; seems like it would make it better for all parties involved.

I'm by no means condoning prostitution, it's a very dirty thing; but there's a better approach to it than locking all of them up. Jailing people for petty crimes is a very uneconomical thing really.

Super Six One:
but think about this, you can smoke a fag, then climb in a car and drive away, without anything altering your judgement. If you get high and do the same thing you could easily get someone killed.

how would that be any different that alcohol?

BOOM headshot65:

So are you saying we should, say legalize prostitution because "Oh, maybe the black market will go away"? No thank you, I would rather increase police funding, maybe get some national guard troops in there, and redouble our efforts to take them down.

separate debate but there's a lot of positive sides to legalizing prostitution.

I get that you have very old school wasp values, which is fine, but you have some pretty big misconceptions about the people involved in these subcultures(for lack of a better word) and what actually happens in them.

prostitutes are not some evil force that needs to be "taken down" by the national guard..that's totally ludicrous.

geK0:

BOOM headshot65:
-

Less STD infection, less abuse towards prostitutes, less human trafficking; seems like it would make it better for all parties involved.

;_;

I think i just died a little inside.

Yopaz:
They don't make something illegal just because it's harmful. They always need a reason to make something illegal. Also as long as marijuana is illegal the government got no control over it. It can be grown almost anywhere. It can take up toxins from the ground and cause widespread heavy metal poisoning. If it's legal there can be some proper control over it. Also you really think it will help sending users of marijuana to rehab? THC is stored within fat cells so it can take months before it's out of the system meaning they can go quite a while without ever being clean. You are misinformed about the subject and believe what you're being told. I don't want it to be legalized any more than you do, but I know that keeping it illegal wont do shit. You want addicts to be treated like criminals, but addiction isn't a crime.

You say it is not harmful or addicting. And yet:

THC is stored within fat cells so it can take months before it's out of the system

That seems harmful and addicting to me.

I just though I should throw this disclaimer out. You are talking to someone who want to be a cop. I would be more than happy busting people who do drugs. Heck, If I could, I would do that for being drunk or smoking ANYTHING, but I cant do that. Thats against the rules. But what I said still stands. The people who are using it are just victums of this disese known as illegal drugs. They need treatment. The people pushing it are the ones who are criminals. THEY need to be locked up for extended periods of time (20+ years). And the drug lords...

GrandmaFunk:

prostitutes are not some evil force that needs to be "taken down" by the national guard..that's totally ludicrous.

Prostitutes are not the evil ones here, and I never said they were. They are vitums too. They should go to rehab to (although, rehab from sexual abuse in this case). Its thier PIMPS that I want shot or locked up.

I'm kind of on the fence about marijuana legalization. On the one hand, I believe a person has the right to make a choice, even if it's a bad one. And hey, 15 years down the line when I'm interviewing for my dream job and you've blown out your last living brain cell you're one less person I need to worry about competing with.

On the other hand. People say pot is no more dangerous than alcohol. That is not the case. THC does different things to the brain than alcohol. Though the euphoric feelings and skewed judgment and reasoning ability are common between them, THC has two key properties that are different. The first is that THC not only impairs judgment, but it also distorts perception of reality. The other key point is that it is much faster acting than alcohol. It takes several drinks to become legally drunk. THC on the other hand only requires a single dose to impair neural functioning.

If this passes:

Canada - 1
USA - 0

GrandmaFunk:

Super Six One:
but think about this, you can smoke a fag, then climb in a car and drive away, without anything altering your judgement. If you get high and do the same thing you could easily get someone killed.

how would that be any different that alcohol?

(I say this, despite the fact that i don't even like comparing dope and alcohol)

It's not, but how would making marijuana legal help the situation at all? There is already a problem with people who think its ok to get behind the wheel of a car intoxicated. Making marijuana legal will create the same problem that alcohol has, people who think its ok to get high, then drive home. Hell the fact that it is legal might actually be better in that respect, people who smoke it might be avoid doing such because they are aware that if somthing happens(as in they get someone killed) they will get punished, possibly ever worse thank a drunk driver who did the same.

BOOM headshot65:

THC is stored within fat cells so it can take months before it's out of the system

based on what logic? there's tons of things that you eat/drink that can stay in your system for months, that doesn't imply they cause harm OR addiction.

BOOM headshot65:

I just though I should throw this disclaimer out. You are talking to someone who want to be a cop.

Well we do need good cops, so I sincerely hope you learn more about these topics before joining the force.

Marijuana should be legal in any country that considers Alcohol to be safe for legal consumption, I've yet to see a single decent argument against weed that wouldn't also criminalise things that are currently perfectly legal and enjoyed by many.

If the dissenters in this thread are any measure to go by, I don't think i'll be seeing that "Decent argument" anytime soon.

I grow tired of people assuming the legalization of something also means approval.

It's just another way of dealing with the problem. Legalization means a more control about the distibution of the drug (including prevention of dangerous stretching methods) for the prize of more people "trying" the drug because they don't have to deal with shady dealers.

Personally, I think the situation as it is at the moment is worse than one we'd have with legalized distribution, because really everyone has access to it anyway. Every school has several dealers at the moment, so there isn't that much fear involved in trying out, so we should try to minimise the damage by ensuring the drugs stay "clean".

BOOM headshot65:

Prostitutes are not the evil ones here, and I never said they were. They are vitums too. They should go to rehab to (although, rehab from sexual abuse in this case). Its thier PIMPS that I want shot or locked up.

legalizing prostitution would do a LOT more towards removing pimps from the equation.

if a woman can safely operate a brothel out of her own home and doesn't have to hide out of fear of prosecution, she doesn't NEED a pimp.

the currently on-going supreme court case to alter the prostitution laws in Ontario has gone a long way towards demonstrating that.

BOOM headshot65:

geK0:

BOOM headshot65:
-

;_;

Yopaz:

I just though I should throw this disclaimer out. You are talking to someone who want to be a cop. I would be more than happy busting people who do drugs. Heck, If I could, I would do that for being drunk or smoking ANYTHING, but I cant do that. Thats against the rules. But what I said still stands. The people who are using it are just victums of this disese known as illegal drugs. They need treatment. The people pushing it are the ones who are criminals. THEY need to be locked up for extended periods of time (20+ years). And the drug lords...

GrandmaFunk:

I did not say it was NOT addicting. Not once. I said that rehab was useless. I said it's not as harmful as it is made out to be. I said it's less harmful, than chemicals we are being fed without knowing about it. I said that the government doesn't make something illegal out of concern of us. So yeah, when you ignore what I say and bold out one part of it that proves your point you do make a good point.

Also are you also going to bust people who have permanent pains or are addicted to nasal spray? People who use medications? People who got permanent diseases? If you read my post again you will see that I didn't ever say I want it legalized. I said that keeping it illegal serves no-one. It just makes it impossible to control. Making it more dangerous.
You successfully managed to ignore my post. Now try to acctually read it.

BOOM headshot65:

geK0:

BOOM headshot65:
-

;_;

Yopaz:

I hope you never ever become a police officer. At least not without a severe amount of education and behavioral readjustment. Of course though law enforcement in this country would hire you in a minute for your indoctrined view points. They will keep pumping you full of righteous ignorance, and pro establishment propaganda, and then we shall see you one day on a you tube video with a tazer pumping volts through some "diseased" marijuana fiend.

"KNOW YOUR DOPE FIEND. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT! You will not be able to see his eyes because of the Tea-Shades, but his knuckles will be white from inner tension and his pants will be crusted with semen from constantly jacking off when he can't find a rape victim. He will stagger and babble when questioned. He will not respect your badge. The Dope Fiend fears nothing. He will attack, for no reason, with every weapon at his command-including yours. BEWARE. Any officer apprehending a suspected marijuana addict should use all necessary force immediately. One stitch in time (on him) will usually save nine on you. Good luck.
-The Chief"

RagTagBand:
Marijuana should be legal in any country that considers Alcohol to be safe for legal consumption, I've yet to see a single decent argument against weed that wouldn't also criminalise things that are currently perfectly legal and enjoyed by many.

If the dissenters in this thread are any measure to go by, I don't think i'll be seeing that "Decent argument" anytime soon.

And that isn't a decent for making it legal either, Why would allowing everyone over the age of say 18(same as alcohol) buy this drug and smoke it freely do anything but create the exact same problem that alcohol can bring?

BOOM headshot65, you're the kind of person that makes me lose faith in the policing system: wanting to arrest anyone for taking a drink? What kind of terrifying obsessive-compulsive control instinct are you exposing here? Why punish something that has literally no effect on you whatsoever? A drink? Come on, so a couple in their house drink a glass of beer and you'd swing in and arrest them if you were allowed? C'mon man, come on. The police are there to keep people safe, not to restrict their rights.

OT: this is fantastic, maybe now other governments around the world will have a good long look at what the effects of keeping weed criminalised is doing to their economies. Spending tax money on arresting people who are doing something less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and which is scientifically proven to be beneficial for your health: [http://www.sfn.org/index.aspx?pagename=brainBriefings_endocannabinoids].

Also, anyone here referring to weed as a 'hard' drug should do some research.

As a tradesman who works with people that smoke pot, I'm all for it, as long as they're not smoking it at work.

I look at it like this: pot is a drug that will cause people to fail entry tests for some work sites, and it can remain in a person's fat for an immense amount of time, while cocaine and a few other drugs won't remain in the system for more than 48 hours usually. This means that some people will actually smoke crack over pot on their weekends home, because they don't have to worry about failing a random drug test.If people will finally clue in that recreational pot use isn't a big fucking deal, fewer of the assholes working in Fort McMurray camps will avoid pot and go right to the harder drugs, so they can beat the piss tests.

That besides the fact that a crack high, for example, is a much shorter and more intense high, which means that most people that do crack do it more often, and if they can't do it, they're liable to be fixated on when they can do it next, rather than paying attention to THE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WORK ENVIRONMENT AROUND THEM. I'd rather work with a guy that goes home, smokes a bowl and eats some doritos, instead of a guy that smokes crack right before work, then freaks out because he doesn't have any crack to smoke at lunch.

Edit: For the prospective cop, I'd like to see you define "intoxication". You should also do some research; there's a zillion things more dangerous than pot, including picking your nose too vigourously.

http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/

I don't smoke pot, but I don't think it's going to destroy the world to legalize it; it's relatively harmless, and I've yet to see a pot smoker takes hostages, beat up his girlfriend, or try to rob a liquor store.

BOOM headshot65:

geK0:

BOOM headshot65:

Actually, the only harmful effect of prostitution (except the spread of STDs) is the public opinions of shame and disgrace on those that perform the service. Remove that (i.e change several thousand years of culture, so goodluck, still, doesn't remove the validity of the argument), and you have no harmful effects left. If we legalize prostitution, we might take a step in the right direction to change public opinion.
Then again, we will also open the market for a lot of people who are in a bad spot and will think of prostitution as an easy way out to get some easy cash, and will end up with deep feelings of shame and regret that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. So..

(And oh, might also have some harmful effect on the current monogamous convention of relationships, if one cares for such)

Well, I sure am out of the loop. I'm Canadian, and I had no idea about this. I've tried it a few times, but it didn't really do anything for me. But, I can safely say that I have no idea what the big deal is. The stuff is innocuous. It makes alcohol seem like a hard drug in comparison.

I really do think it should be legalized. It isn't nearly as bad for you as alcohol or any form of tobacco. If those can be legal, there's absolutely zero reason marijuana can't be either. Legalize it, let the government regulate it the same way they do alcohol and tobacco, tax it similarly, set the legal age to 18 like everything else, expand all the "don't drink and drive campaigns" to "don't drive or smoke pot and drive" campaigns, and things should work out just fine. You won't have shady, immoral people producing the stuff and lacing it with truly harmful substances. You won't have all the crime associated with its production.

ZeroMachine:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Guess I'm never going to Canada again :/.

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

Holy fuck.

Non-pot smoker here. Never have, never will, don't even like being around it. Find it smelly and a bit stupid (not that the people that smoke it are inherently stupid. Plenty of smart people do stupid things.)

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you seem to hold pot smokers on the same level as burglars, rapists, and murderers.

What? You mean dealers? HAH. No.

You think the same people will be dealing? It'll be regulated. The money won't go to the dealers. So, obviously, you feel that people that simply smoke pot are terrible criminals.

Because laws ALWAYS align with morality, right? Because the laws COULDN'T be severely outdated, right? That war on drugs- totally not pointless, right?

Stop being so naive.

I find your sheer volume of vitriol to be quite droll. I do agree on most points, and add that for the most part, drug dealers are only violent BECAUSE of the drug war. (maintaining or arguably increaseing demand + severely limiting the supply = massive price increases. Valuable commodity + no legal means of supply = only people who work outside the law can trade in it. And because they work outside the law, they can't go to the police or court system, so they settle disputes internally. Often with bullets.)

VladG:

Binnsyboy:

I agree. Unmodified pot is very safe as drugs go, and both tobacco and alcohol are MUCH more detrimental to your health... not sure about letting somebody high drive. Slower reflexes and shorter attention span.. not to mention the possibility of spacing out. Then again, I've never had trouble getting my mind together if I needed to.

I'm of the opinion that people shouldn't be allowed to drive while intoxicated regardless of the intoxicant. Yes, you think you can pull yourself together if you have to, but even if you can not everyone will be able to. You become a danger to yourself and (most importantly) others, so unless you like the idea of people driving while drunk you shouldn't allow people do drive while high.

Odbarc:
Man, if people start smoking drugs in front of me, I swear, I'm going to start killing people.

I'm going to be so annoyed if I log in facebook and see everyone cheering for this bullshit. I'm going to unfriend them.

Because unfriending someone on facebook = murdering them? ..../backs away slowly

Odbarc:

Just because "everyone does it" doesn't mean it should be legal.

I mean, in school, didn't they say that it only 'seems like' everyone does it but 'really it's not like that' except it actually IS like that.

Also, it isn't that pot should be legal just because "everyone does it". It should be legal because it's not the place of government to decide what consenting adults are allowed to do. Even if the government was justified in stopping us from doing something because it's harmful, marijuana isn't as bad as alcohol or cigarettes, but both of the latter are legal.

Also, not everyone smokes pot - 42% of Americans have smoked pot in their lifetime, most of whom have only done so once or twice.

Super Six One:

RagTagBand:

And that isn't a decent for making it legal either, Why would allowing everyone over the age of say 18(same as alcohol) buy this drug and smoke it freely do anything but create the exact same problem that alcohol can bring?

Even if we agree that alcohol and marijuana affect the mind in the same way (which it doesn't, since marijuana have been proven to do less damage than alcohol), it's a matter of consistency. Why should A be illegal and B legal, if they have the same effect? Why should we NOT allow people to fuck themselves up, as long as they don't harm anyone else and the fucked-upness is only very slightly damaging unless abused (i.e both alcohol and pot)?
Isn't this what "freedom" and all that bull the US seem to spit out all the time is all about?

BOOM headshot65:

Prostitution is already legal in Canada, in fact I don't think its ever been illegal.

There are some laws designed to harass prostitutes, and some other laws meant to protect them that do the opposite, but its legal.

Super Six One:

RagTagBand:

My point was to point out the hypocrisy of current laws and the often hypocritical stances of those against it.

Your question, also, is stupid and/or ignorant. In terms of effects Marijuana and alcohol are barely comparable, if not polar opposites, So its pretty plain to see they won't cause the same problems. Cigarettes don't cause the same problems Alcohol does for the same reasons - They effect people in different ways.

I'm pretty sure that Weed-fueled assaults, for example, aren't nearly as prevalent as Alcohol-fueled ones and I can't remember the last time I saw anyone pissing in the street "Because they were just too high".

eh I always hate the "well booze is legal so weed should be" argument... potheads have no one to blame that on but themselves... you know why? because when you take away a potheads weed all they do is whine where as when you take away an alcoholics booze he becomes violent... in short alcoholics fought and fought hard to keep their right to drink where as potheads just sat around and complained to each other about it while allowing themselves to be pushed around...

besides if they legalized weed 90 percent of potheads would have nothing to talk about anymore

Personally, I don't give a damn.

I don't do pot, nor do I have a desire to. A friend of mine tried it once, and he said it was the most profoundly boring experience in his life.

So unless students/teachers are coming to class stoned, or people are driving while high, I don't see how this affects me, really.

Kendarik:

BOOM headshot65:

Prostitution is already legal in Canada, in fact I don't think its ever been illegal.

There are some laws designed to harass prostitutes, and some other laws meant to protect them that do the opposite, but its legal.

Prostitution is technically legal, communicating for the purpose of prostitution, living on the avails of, or forcing someone to act as a prostitute are not legal.

In fact, prior to 1985, more prostitutes were charged under vagrancy laws, since that's when the "communication" laws were passed. I just read an article last night in the Walrus about a blue-collar-background trans-gendered Aboriginal prostitute that made regular protests at Vancouver city hall for several years before the police found Robert Pickton.

http://walrusmagazine.com/articles/2010.06-society-the-unrepentant-whore/

Realitycrash:

Super Six One:

RagTagBand:

Even if we agree that alcohol and marijuana affect the mind in the same way (which it doesn't, since marijuana have been proven to do less damage than alcohol), it's a matter of consistency. Why should A be illegal and B legal, if they have the same effect? Why should we NOT allow people to fuck themselves up, as long as they don't harm anyone else and the fucked-upness is only very slightly damaging unless abused (i.e both alcohol and pot)?
Isn't this what "freedom" and all that bull the US seem to spit out all the time is all about?

A should be illegal until we sort out problems B already has. That's what i'm trying to say, i'm not against the drug itself it more the implications of allowing it to be given to people on mass. Alot of people don't "mean" to harm other people when drunk, but they do. If you allow everyone to get fucked up on it like people do with alcohol, all you are doing is making the same problem with another substance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked