Shots fired from Canadian government, the war against marijuana may end in 7 days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Long time in coming.

Too much police resource is going into policing something that should not have been a crime in the first place. Alcohol is more damaging to society by far and it is legal. I would like to see it legalized and regulated and taxed in much the same manner as alcohol. That would take a lot of the stigma away from other vice crime enforcement and hopefully cut out a bit of the street crime that is happening around here. A lot of the violent crime I see around here has to do with drugs and internal squabbling between dealers. Take pot away from them and they suddenly have a lot less to fight over.

I don't use it myself but I feel that it is idiotic to treat using it like a crime on par with sex assault and murder when it should fall under the category of personal choice.

/rant

Aerodyamic:

Liquidacid23:

Zeckt:
Oh, and I will not take anybody who is against legalizing pot yet is okay with alcohol being legal since its so much worse. Seriously, screw your heads on straight please.

I don't think ANY drug should be illegal ... controlled yes but flat out illegal no... cause I could give a rats ass less what chemicals you want to pour into your body or what you think about the ones I put in mine

meh I never said it was a "nice" reason... reality tends not to be ideal and all rainbows and hugs... no offense but the hippy peace mongering "violence never gets you anything " crap is pointless... fact of the matter is most freedoms we enjoy were purchased with violence and have been since the beginning of our species as a civilization why anyone would think that fact would be different for potheads is beyond me

but the point stands that the reason they don't have it yet is because they haven't actually fought for it... if they had they would already have it legalized

also the average alcohol user isn't going to beat his kids and wife and he probably won't cause a fatal car accident because he knows better than to drive. Just because a minority of users do stupid things doesn't mean no one should be allowed to...

You should google up some M.A.D.D. statistics. According to them, drunk-driving is still endemic.

The fact remains, study after study has proven that alcohol abuse has far greater consequences, and those consequences occur with far more regularity than marijuana abuse. Marijuana makes me hungry, and I occasionally get the urge to make a bong out of a milk crate, and then I go to bed.

Assuming I've forgotten that my job requires me to be able to pass a drug test.

oh I fully agree weed is in no way as bad for you as booze is... I never said it was... I simply said potheads as a group have failed to fight very hard for it to be legalized like alcoholics did and would again... as a group you are rather lazy... lol

Aerodyamic:

Shotgun Guy:

Aerodyamic:
The duty of a police officer is to uphold the law, not question it.

Not to sound cliche but that is exactly what the Nazis said.

That's not my quote, actually.

BOOM headshot65:

The duty of a police officer is to uphold the law, not question it.

Awe man! I'm sorry about that, I looked at it really quick and hadn't even noticed.

Liquidacid23:

oh I fully agree weed is in no way as bad for you as booze is... I never said it was... I simply said potheads as a group have failed to fight very hard for it to be legalized like alcoholics did and would again... as a group you are rather lazy... lol

Well, either they're lazy, or it's Woody Harrelson babbling away inanely, and then jamming his feet into his open cake-hole.

They also have issues with...

Shotgun Guy:

Awe man! I'm sorry about that, I looked at it really quick and hadn't even noticed.

No big deal; I figured you just speed-skimmed the post.

I do it too.

I would be fine with this because idiots will be idiots weather it is legal or not (and yes I am saying that intelligence and drug use are mutually exclusive) but I think there needs to be new laws to go with legalization, namely you a. can't smoke weed inside a public building unless there is a designated place for it and b. you can't smoke weed and drive.

I was gonna react to some other posts in here, but it's turned into such a shitstorm, I'll just throw in my two cents and leave depressed:

LSD is less addictive than Marijuana and no more harmful. Pot makes people dull-witted and serves no purpose other than wasting time. LSD makes your senses more acute and essentially works like a better version of caffeine. Why the hell is the western world bothering with pot when LSD is in every way the better choice?

EDIT:

Liquidacid23:

what do you think my screen name is referring to ...

Yes, I noticed. However, I'm not under the impression that you're solely in charge of legislation in all western countries, including, but not limited to, Holland. I didn't mean to imply that nobody else is pro-LSD nor do I believe I'm a unique and special snowflake. I was pointing out that it's never brought up in any serious legal discussion. Whenever legalization/decriminilization is discussed, it's about pot and/or prostitution.

Jonluw:
If your friend found it boring, it is rather likely that he wasn't affected at all in the first place.

Well, this is how he described it:

"So I tried it and then after while, I looked around and said 'This really dumb. All it's doing is making it so my brain can't properly finish my thought process. I start a sentence, and by the time I reach the end, I forget what I was saying in the first place. It's not making me more social, or anything'. Honestly, pal (ie, to me), it's severely overhyped. I can get why people do it, and maybe some get a bigger high than others. But I found it boring as all hell."

SwimmingRock:
I was gonna react to some other posts in here, but it's turned into such a shitstorm, I'll just throw in my two cents and leave depressed:

LSD is less addictive than Marijuana and no more harmful. Pot makes people dull-witted and serves no purpose other than wasting time. LSD makes your senses more acute and essentially works like a better version of caffeine. Why the hell is the western world bothering with pot when LSD is in every way the better choice?

what do you think my screen name is referring to ...

Aerodyamic:
I think you've missed the point.

You should take everything those authority figures have told you, and examine it for what you consider to be relevant information to help shape a moral world-view. If you're going to take everything that your authoriy figures tell you at face value, grab a copy of the bible, and google up the nearest USMC recruitment office, because you are tailor-made for the USMC.

And that saddens me, for some reason.

As I said, I am going into the police department, or maybe fire department since I am already a volunteer there. But whatever, I know alot of cops and have the utmost respect for the badge. As for your other 2:
Bible- Already have one
USMC- While I love the Marines, it is just not for me.

In fact, the original reason behind marijuana prohibition was that the companies that were making artificial fibers for the US military during and after WWII lobbied to have marijuana criminalized because hemp is in the same genus, and would be covered by that ban. Do I need to point out that hemp was the single largest competition to the Dupont and 3M artifical fibers comapnies, or is that sort of self-explanatory?

Hemp, the product that was actually the root of marijuana criminalization, would kill you before you got high from smoking it, and is a fantastic thing; you can make rope, clothes, medical supplies, and all sorts of other stuff with it, and it's apparently a good source of fiber.

Wait a second, what exactly does hemp have to do with Majinuna? Maybe I am missing something because I intentionally leave myself in the dark on these kind of things. (the less I know, the less tempting it is)

The FDA could quite handily create regulatory guildelines to oversee production of THC-bearing plants, and if you think the tax agencies in the US wouldn't love ANYTHING that would create an additional revenue stream, you should give your head a shake.

Consider that some towns have declared bankruptcy, because they literally have ZERO money left; now consider that several of those towns are in places where people used to be able to grow industrial hemp as a primary crop. If some of those farmers were still growing hemp for domestic use, and reasonable amounts of legal marijuana for controlled and taxed distribution, that's at least some money that currently isn't available that would be moving into the system as financial goodwill.

No, I'm not saying that decriminalization and taxation of pot would cure the American economy, but it bloody well benefit the bottom line on the balance sheet.

Ok, if the town cant afford it, this is what citizens with guns are for. (at least, in my local area)

Plus, any economic boost would be destroyed when people started getting severe health problems and become a strain on the system. Oh, I am fine with legalizing Majriuna alright...but only if it has a +70% tax on it. And if I could, I would do the same to alchohol and tobacco.

Several European countries have "public consumption" liquor laws and still have a fraction of the petty criminal activity that most small American towns do; that's not even considering the amount of petty crime that occurs in a major American city.

The Netherlands, for example. I'd imagine that the mere thought of Amsterdam makes you cringe: pot cafes, open liquor on the streets, street-side brothels where young men and women are carefully screened for drug use and STI's, and pay taxes. THE HORROR!

Now, where did you get the idea that Amsterdam is one of my least favorite 1st world cities on this planet just because it has a legal red light district and drugs. /sarcasm

I also point out that alcohol prohibition lead to the rise of the Mafia in the 1920's and 30's, and remind you that hemp was criminalized to allow manufacturers a less competitive market for their newly-developed artificial fibers.

Yes, the prohibition of alcohol lead to the rise of the Mafia, but it reduce the number of people who consumed alcohol. The only reason prohibition failed is because NOBODY enforced the laws, a clear differnce from what is happening now.

Aerodyamic:
Also, opiates aren`t illegal, they`re controlled; they`re too valuable to the pharmaceutical lobbies be illegal.

You know what else was something "too valuable" that was still made illegal? Morphine. It is the greatest pain-killer ever created, and was used in medicine for a long time...but then was banned when it was discovered it was also the most addictive substance ever made!

GrandmaFunk:
oh well, I tried.

I'll take solace in the fact that you won't be a cop in my country...but looks like America's horribly abusive, corrupt and down-right broken system will perpetuate itself through yet another brain-dead bully in a uniform.

have fun beating up hippies.

Huh, what was it that my government teacher said one time?
Ah yes: "If I ever got into a situtation with a cop, I would hope it was you because I know whatever punishment I get is the one I am supposed to."

The law is blind...and so am I.

EDIT:

major_chaos:
yes I am saying that intelligence and drug use are mutually exclusive

So then you don't think any of the following people were intelligent?

Sigmund Freud
Richard Feynman
Carl Sagan
Thomas Edison

aegix drakan:

Jonluw:
If your friend found it boring, it is rather likely that he wasn't affected at all in the first place.

Well, this is how he described it:

"So I tried it and then after while, I looked around and said 'This really dumb. All it's doing is making it so my brain can't properly finish my thought process. I start a sentence, and by the time I reach the end, I forget what I was saying in the first place. It's not making me more social, or anything'. Honestly, pal (ie, to me), it's severely overhyped. I can get why people do it, and maybe some get a bigger high than others. But I found it boring as all hell."

Well, in that case I say he shouldn't really have written off after the first try.
The "slow thought process" bit is normally accompanied with a euphoric sensation and a general feeling of satisfaction, but the first few times the effect can be as small as "huh, I feel a little bit weird, but mostly normal".
The difference really is huge. Some may also experience some mild anxiety.

(I didn't get a message when you quoted me in this post... Weird.)

There is a reason the Obama administration here in the United States has refused to help legalize Marijuana, because the administration is based on facts. They have found that Marijuana is indeed harmful for your health and society if legalized. We're talking about a president who dislikes homosexuality but fully supports gay marriage, simply because while his religion is against it the scientific community says there's no reason not to--so he did it. I don't care about people's political view in this thread, but know this: There is a reason why Marijuana is still illegal, and for good reason.

Click the box to see the facts, my friends. Read the reports from scientific communities and universities all over the world.

Seriously, the notion that people refuse to look at facts and just believe "I haven't gotten cancer yet!" mentality is just shocking. It's practically like those in the pre-1980's who didn't know that smoking caused so much cancer and death and did it all the time. People need to wake up. It's not you should be fearful of the law, or the social rejection you'll get for it, but the fact that you're putting your life in harms way for ignorance.

Marijuana is bad for you. Stay away from it.

BOOM headshot65:

Aerodyamic:
Also, opiates aren`t illegal, they`re controlled; they`re too valuable to the pharmaceutical lobbies be illegal.

You know what else was something "too valuable" that was still made illegal? Morphine. It is the greatest pain-killer ever created, and was used in medicine for a long time...but then was banned when it was discovered it was also the most addictive substance ever made!

haha someone doesn't know what morphine is... or it's legal status...

hint: morphine is an opiate just like heroin (heroin is actually synthesized from morphine) and is a LEGAL controlled substance still

it,s sort-off legal here in Holland.
I,m cool with it it,s not more harmful/addictive then alcohol.

That's fantastic news, I hope it passes and everyone is forced to admit that their ideas that it's gonna harm society were total bullshit (which it completely is). It's about time that more nations finally accept that it's an almost completely harmless plant with shit-tons of benefits.

Really? Am moving to Canada

major_chaos:
and yes I am saying that intelligence and drug use are mutually exclusive

Too bad it's utter bullshit.

GrandmaFunk:

major_chaos:

Sigmund Freud
Richard Feynman
Carl Sagan
Thomas Edison

I'm adding a few to the list as well:

Dr. William Stewart Halstead (a.k.a. The Father of Modern Surgery)
Philip K. Dick
James D. Watson and Francis Crick (discovered the DNA double helix)

I think everybody in this thread should just chill the fuck out.
This gives a great opportunity to see what actually happens when it is legalized, why argue on this thread when we can wait and find out??
If it turns out to be beneficial or indeed harmful then we will all know and can stop this stupid argument that arises ALL the time.

I for one am FOR the legalization, i don't even smoke it.
For those who say its bad for you: NO SHIT. Everything is bad for you, i believe you should have a choice with what you do.

And now that has been said:

I don't see how legalization would change a thing, and this is coming from someone who doesn't mind an occasional spliff.

Enthusiasts have no problem getting access to it and police don't arrest people for possession, or at least, the one's I've witnessed don't bother.

If anything, I'd rather keep it illegal, only for the simple fact that I could feel somewhat criminal when I'm doing it. And criminals are bad ass.

HA! Take that, 'The Man!'

GrandmaFunk:

major_chaos:

Sigmund Freud
Richard Feynman
Carl Sagan
Thomas Edison

I was not clear in my first post what that should have said is "recreational drug use is never an intelligent choice and has a significant negative effect on your intelligence" but I was being super lazy, that being said the people you mentioned seem to be exceptions because I have met several pot smokers and none of them were super bright in the first place and became absolutely intolerable when high

EDIT:

fenrizz:
snip

see above. I would also add that is is possible to be academically smart and still make awful choices

Hey! I'm Canadian!

Legalizing marijuana won't really affect me. Seeing that my organs are incredibly susceptible to any kind of drug, so I avoid that shit like the plague.

I wonder how that stuff will be handled when it gets legalized though. There are alot of dumbfucks at my school that take that stuff. They are all idiots and smell like fresh shit; there is a correlation here somehow.

But seeing that I'm graduating and going to university next anyways, this can't be all bad. Wait, what if people at my future uni take that stuff too? Damnit.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Guess I'm never going to Canada again :/.

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

Thats why im never going to go to America. They broke down and compromised with those low life scum, lifting the prohibition. Now anyone can sell, produce, and distribute alcohol?!?!?! i mean whats with that?

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

Firstly, if they decriminalise it then people taking it aren't criminals. Secondly, you must be a troll. People who smoke marijuana are scum? Didn't realise Fox news had an account here.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

They're only criminals because they made it illegal in the first place, and its not much worse (if at all) then cigarettes and alcohol.

They're just criminalising people who are doing nothing wrong. Don't make the mistake of assuming weed is equivalent to heroin just because they're both currently illegal.

major_chaos:

GrandmaFunk:

major_chaos:

Sigmund Freud
Richard Feynman
Carl Sagan
Thomas Edison

I was not clear in my first post what that should have said is "recreational drug use is never an intelligent choice and has a significant negative effect on your intelligence" but I was being super lazy, that being said the people you mentioned seem to be exceptions because I have met several pot smokers and none of them were super bright in the first place and became absolutely intolerable when high

meh most of the normal people I meet who don't do drugs aren't super bright either and tend to get absolutely intolerable without even being high

BOOM headshot65:

Ok, if the town cant afford it, this is what citizens with guns are for. (at least, in my local area)

This caught me as interesting. I would assume by this statement you are for second amendment rights, and the rights of private citizens to own firearms.

I am curious though as to the level you would be going to in upholding the law. If they passed some sort of gun control act would you if you were an officer of the law act on and enforce orders to disarm the public?

How far does your obedience to the law extend. Do you ever speed? Do you ever not wear a seat belt. Blind obedience only gets you so far. Police who do not question orders or the laws they are upholding quickly leads to a police state.

When you enter law enforcement do you want to be a public servant working for the people to protect and serve the people of your community? Or do you want to be a servant of the body politic, and government that often times can be out of touch with the wants needs and desires of those it governs.

Odbarc:
Man, if people start smoking drugs in front of me, I swear, I'm going to start killing people.
Just because "everyone does it" doesn't mean it should be legal.

I mean, in school, didn't they say that it only 'seems like' everyone does it but 'really it's not like that' except it actually IS like that.

I'm going to be so annoyed if I log in facebook and see everyone cheering for this bullshit. I'm going to unfriend them.

Wow, just...wow. I hope your just young and naive cause your just talking crazy talk. Killing people and unfriending people on facebook lol are you serious? What next your not gonna put down the toilet seat anymore!

Aerodyamic:

Liquidacid23:
eh I always hate the "well booze is legal so weed should be" argument... potheads have no one to blame that on but themselves... you know why? because when you take away a potheads weed all they do is whine where as when you take away an alcoholics booze he becomes violent... in short alcoholics fought and fought hard to keep their right to drink where as potheads just sat around and complained to each other about it while allowing themselves to be pushed around...

besides if they legalized weed 90 percent of potheads would have nothing to talk about anymore

Claiming that being an ignorant, violent fuckhead when something you like is taken away isn't making me support your case to have that item back, it's making me want to call the cops, and/or defend myself from any aggressive behaviour that's pointed in my direction.

I'll agree that most of the celebrity pot-heads are more detrimental to the decriminalization cause more often than not, but alcohol has a much greater impact on society than pot ever will. It's like PETA; most of the celebutards that open their traps to support NORML and PETA are complete tools, and will usually jam their feet right into their cake-holes.

Alcoholism:

usually creates a situation where more money is used on healthcare
    it's a major factor in car accidents
    it's a leading cause of stupidity-related deaths and accidents
    lots of relationship are destoyed due to it
    it cause a prenatal condition that expresses itself as a form of retardation and learning disability
    it's more frequently associated with mob behaviour (for example, the Vancouver Stanley Cup riots)

In short, alcohol generally allows more people to make more poor decisions; the average pot smoker isn't going to beat his kids and wife when he runs out of munchies, and he probably won't cause a fatal car accident if he drives down to the store to get some more doritos. On the off chance that you get a bunch of stoners together (which is like herding cats), they're probably not going to all get riled up and wreck anything, although they make a lot of bongs out of random shit.

Everything you just said makes sense. I feel that pot has a lot more beneficial effects than detrimental ones. Also it fucking blows my mind how many naive people there are in this thread.

There's no discussion to have. Harper has his majority. If it doesn't get approved, he'll Not Withstanding Clause it, if he can't do that, he'll prorogue Parliament until they bow their heads, and if he can't do that, he'll raise such a stink about it, it'll be all that's debated for the next four and a bit years he's got uncontested Legislative power.

As for what I believe from a moral perspective, I believe Canada as a nation to be ready for this change. There have been very few credible complaints, that I've seen, levied against pot. People who use it in excess are annoying, they are grating, and they may do other, harsher things down the line; but this is not an absolute, or everyone who ever smoked a cigarette, drank some booze, used a painkiller, fapped, ate in excess, dieted, or consumed media would end up addicted. Pot isn't as harmful as the things we currently deem appropriate for general consumption.

Odbarc:
Man, if people start smoking drugs in front of me, I swear, I'm going to start killing people.
Just because "everyone does it" doesn't mean it should be legal.

I mean, in school, didn't they say that it only 'seems like' everyone does it but 'really it's not like that' except it actually IS like that.

I'm going to be so annoyed if I log in facebook and see everyone cheering for this bullshit. I'm going to unfriend them.

Facebook? Watch out we got a badass over here

VladG:

Binnsyboy:

Really, if you haven't smoked pot, and are not some form of chemist, you really don't get much of an opinion beyond arm-chair doucheyness. As someone who has experimented with both alcohol and pot, I'm telling you, alcohol has a much worse affect right off the bat than pot. Let's say there's a drunk guy and a high guy. I'd far sooner let the high guy drive. I say this from experience, which the cheese cake obviously lacks.

I agree. Unmodified pot is very safe as drugs go, and both tobacco and alcohol are MUCH more detrimental to your health... not sure about letting somebody high drive. Slower reflexes and shorter attention span.. not to mention the possibility of spacing out. Then again, I've never had trouble getting my mind together if I needed to.

This. The only reason pot is illegal is because paper companies flipped the fuck out when hemp products proved to be cheaper and of better quality than traditional paper ones and ran a smear campaign that forced the government's hand, at least in the United States (I'm assuming Canada follow suit soon after because that's what I've been told, but I could be wrong, and forgive me if I am).

Science has proven there are no addictive qualities in marijuana itself, which makes it far less dangerous than alcohol or nicotine, and unlike those two, pot actually decreases violent tendencies. Pot smokers aren't a harm to anyone; they just want to bake cookies and give you a hug.

Why is it illegal in this day and age? The same reason homosexual marriage is still banned in the U.S.: the American system is built to be incredibly inefficient so that nothing gets done quickly, even if that means social rights that should be given don't happen until 20 years after the law stopped making sense.

To all of you that are against this bill, do your research on marijuana before freaking out and understand that you can't be against pot and support alcohol and nicotine. Consistency is all I'm asking for here

skatch13:
This caught me as interesting. I would assume by this statement you are for second amendment rights, and the rights of private citizens to own firearms.

Yes, I do...to a certain extent. For instance, I am totally ok with people owing hunting rifles (semi-auto and bolt-action), shotguns, and handguns, but I dont think people should be allowed to own full-auto weapons. But this also has to do with the fact that in rural areas guns are required to protect ourselves from predators, both animal and human. The nearest sheriff is usually 20 min. away. The odds of help showing up in a timely mannor are slim. Plus, I have had coyotes less than 5 feet from my back door before. So yes, I want people to own guns.

I am curious though as to the level you would be going to in upholding the law. If they passed some sort of gun control act would you if you were an officer of the law act on and enforce orders to disarm the public?

That depends. If we are talking total gun ban, then I would most likely let it slid because I dont want to get shot. If it was a ban on "assualt weapons", not so much, but still be VERY careful about it to avoid taking a bullet.

How far does your obedience to the law extend. Do you ever speed?

Only by 5 mph tops. This is the limit of the grace period around here.

Do you ever not wear a seat belt.

Only when I am on my property. Once I leave, the belt goes on.

Blind obedience only gets you so far. Police who do not question orders or the laws they are upholding quickly leads to a police state.

I understand that, and there are times I am ok with the law being broken, like during the Civil Rights movement. What I am NOT ok with is people who try to break the law for something as trivial as the option to stick a smoldering plant in thier mouth. Its redicules, it has so many health problems to it, which keep getting pointed out by people in power, but get rebuttled by people who basically say "you dont control me!" Its so STUPID!

When you enter law enforcement do you want to be a public servant working for the people to protect and serve the people of your community? Or do you want to be a servant of the body politic, and government that often times can be out of touch with the wants needs and desires of those it governs.

Thats easy. The community. That is why I want to work in Fire or Police (or maybe work in a military history museum). But what I have been trying to say is that MOST laws have a reason they are there. Not every rule is there because "Those evil corperations bought the politians votes" or "The Man is just trying to ruin our fun." They are there to protect people.

Was making a massive post. I just erased it. Screw it. Here's my argument instead.

Pot laws are stupid.

People who think people that smoke are stupid, are stupid.

The whole damn thing's stupid. Legalize it and be done with this bullshit already.

I really wish I could add more to this argument, but I've beat my head against that brick wall enough these past years. Those who know, know, and those who choose to believe whatever they're told, will continue to be self-righteous jackasses spouting off nonsense about things they barely understand.

The cycle continues.

I'm just going to go medicate heavily and listen to bass music. That sounds far more fun than engaging in this same-once-again-garbage debate.

Yeah... Marijuana is significantly less harmful than cigarettes and any other form of smoking tobacco, but those are legal. So I can't see it being all that bad.

Though personally I dislike the idea of smoking weed. I just... I really do.
I'm not sure if I'll ever even drink, once I'm of age. I don't think I like the idea of that too.

GrandmaFunk:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them.

snip

ZeroMachine:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

snip

The Last Nomad:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

snip

You guys... Troll alert! Just ignore him, don't feed him attention.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked