Shots fired from Canadian government, the war against marijuana may end in 7 days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

BOOM headshot65:
Well, not a big deal to me as a non-Canadian....but I pray to God nothing like this will ever happen in America. They are illegal for a reason. My heirarchy of how to treat it...

And what reason might that be?

Im all for it... I don't see any real downfall here...

*Not a pot-smoker BTW

BOOM headshot65:
Well, not a big deal to me as a non-Canadian....but I pray to God nothing like this will ever happen in America. They are illegal for a reason. My heirarchy of how to treat it...

Smokers: Rehab
Pushers: Serious jail time
Lords: Shot and killed by commando team, then stock burned to the ground

Draconian much?

The whole point of legalising a drug is so it can be controlled. If you can buy a pouch of weed from a supermarket cig counter then you don't need to phone up your dealer and meet them in a shady back alley, constantly at risk of arrest.

If you're buying your green from legal vendors then the underground drugs trade will diminish.

Look at it the other way round, if tobacco was made illegal suddenly, a masssively profitable tobacco black market would emerge practically overnight. People demand things, if they can't get it the way they're told they should, they'll get it from somewhere else. So why not capitalise on that.

Here's a thought. Every "drug" that has been made illegal, people get anyway. Criminals don't obey the law, that's why they're criminals. Remember prohibition on alcohol? Remember how that turned out? Did it stop people from drinking?

Making substances illegal that people are just going to get anyway just makes it dangerous, not just that, but a waste of money. The government wastes large sums of tax payer money to stop illegal drug distribution and nothing changes. If marijuana gets legalized, it will be regulated by the government like alcohol is and there will be less crime associated with the distribution of it. The same can be true for any illegal drug. The fact that Canada could be legalizing marijuana is a sign that society is slowly getting out of its old close minded ways. Everyone will benefit from this. The government will tax the hell out of it and there will be less dealers.

Note: I do no condone the use of drugs and I myself do not use drugs OR drink.

BOOM headshot65:
snip

you are a very confused indivdual my friend. Im assuming that you've never driven while smoking a blunt, I have friends that are delivery drivers, and all they do is smoke and drive all day. So kindly refrain from speaking of things on which you have exactly ZERO experience.

And you just totally contradicted yourself with the Darwin argument. You say "Let them! Darwin will sort them out." while saying we should keep fighting this retarded war on drugs forever.

And if you meant let the law sort them out, then Darwin is in no way relevant to anything you are saying.

Ah ok well at least youre in favor of rehabilitation for serious heroin and crack addicts. the idea of going to rehab for marijuana however is just beyond laughable

Atmos Duality:
Given how wildly ineffective the "War on Drugs" has been where I live, I doubt it would change much in Canada (which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to lean more towards the relaxed side than the United States).

You are correct. Many chiefs of police have in fact been arguing for decriminalization of personal amounts (they write you a ticket and you pay a fine - this law ALMOST got passed) or full legalization with regulation (like booze, cigs)

It is not unusual at all for a cop to catch people with a small amount of week and they just take to smoke themselves...errr.... I mean confiscate and destroy it. If they pull you in for less than a quarter you must have pissed them off in some other way (you didn't cooperate/mouthed off at them, you were driving stoned, they caught you doing something else illegal at the same time, etc). At one point the Chief of Police in Toronto publicly said he had told his officers to "exercise discretion" on charging people for small amount.

Actually the funniest thing is when I got my last passport it came with a 1 page flying about travelling to the US letting us know that we can't bring our bongs/pipes through the border and "even one seed" can get you arrested. That's just so bizarre a reaction that way too many people just didn't know the Americans would act that way.

SurfinTaxt:

you are a very confused indivdual my friend. Im assuming that you've never driven while smoking a blunt, I have friends that are delivery drivers, and all they do is smoke and drive all day. So kindly refrain from speaking of things on which you have exactly ZERO experience.

Sorry, while I favor legalization, what you are saying is wrong. Those people are impaired. I know they don't think they are, but they are. It's just like in the 1950s when all the drunks would have told you that they were just fine driving after a night of drinking.

Wow.
This thread has brought out the stupid in a lot of people. I want everyone who is against the legalization of weed to go do some research. Weed is one of the least dangerous drugs out there, more people die from vending machines a year than they do weed.
I can understand not wanting to smoke it, or want it smoked around you, but if you honestly think marijuana should stay illegal, you sure as hell better be for the prohibition of tobacco and alcohol too.

OT: Good, maybe America will follow suit and we can stop this 'war on drugs' bullcrap.

O CANADA ! OUR HOME AND NATIVE LAND!

get it done Canada, I believe iny ou.

Abandon4093:
The people in charge of the US won't do anything to expunge the Cartels because they make their careers by waging war against them. All you'd need to do to completely ruin the cartels is start selling and taxing drugs.

30 years or so, no more Cartels.

It would be that easy.

Yeah, until they move on to the next thing and make a racket out of that. They will always find an excuse to exist. The only way to end them is to LITERALLY end them.

ALL of them.

Olrod:

Reason= Impaired judgement, cancer, long term health conditions such as scitzophrania

Tsunimo:
Good, maybe America will follow suit and we can stop this 'war on drugs' bullcrap.

It will NOT make us cut out the War on Drugs "crap." And I will wage a one-man war if I must.

SurfinTaxt:

I have never even SEEN a real blunt. The only ones I have seen are the ones they show in D.A.R.E. Units.

And you just totally contradicted yourself with the Darwin argument. You say "Let them! Darwin will sort them out." while saying we should keep fighting this retarded war on drugs forever.

And if you meant let the law sort them out, then Darwin is in no way relevant to anything you are saying.

What I mean by that is that the ones who have already been corrupted by this scourge can be killed of by the social darwin, but have laws in place to stop other from decending into the darkness.

Ah ok well at least youre in favor of rehabilitation for serious heroin and crack addicts. the idea of going to rehab for marijuana however is just beyond laughable

How exactly is the idea of rehab for weed laughable. Its a drug, they are addicted. That crap will not fly. They must be brought off it immediatly, or I guess more ASAP.

Idlemessiah:
Draconian much?

The whole point of legalising a drug is so it can be controlled. If you can buy a pouch of weed from a supermarket cig counter then you don't need to phone up your dealer and meet them in a shady back alley, constantly at risk of arrest.

If you're buying your green from legal vendors then the underground drugs trade will diminish.

Look at it the other way round, if tobacco was made illegal suddenly, a masssively profitable tobacco black market would emerge practically overnight. People demand things, if they can't get it the way they're told they should, they'll get it from somewhere else. So why not capitalise on that.

But you are legalizing something that is harmful to you. The government would basically say "even though all data says this is bad for you, we will legalize it anyway." NO! That will not fly! And actually, you just pointed out what I have been saying the whole time...this move will NOT make the Cartels disappear. They will muscle in on the legal stuff to try and get the edge, they will will find other means to make a profit, all that stuff. The only way to get rid of them is to show no mercy.

BOOM headshot65:

Abandon4093:
The people in charge of the US won't do anything to expunge the Cartels because they make their careers by waging war against them. All you'd need to do to completely ruin the cartels is start selling and taxing drugs.

It would be that easy.

Yeah, until they move on to the next thing and make a racket out of that. They will always find an excuse to exist. The only way to end them is to LITERALLY end them.

ALL of them.

You're as knowledgeable as you are sane.

BOOM headshot65:

I have never even SEEN a real blunt. The only ones I have seen are the ones they show in D.A.R.E. Units.

You kept talking about this dare thing I've never heard of so I looked it up. What a joke:

2001 - Surgeon General categorizes D.A.R.E. "Ineffective Primary Prevention Programs"
In 2001, the Surgeon General of the United States, David Satcher M.D. Ph.D., placed the D.A.R.E. program in the category of "Ineffective Primary Prevention Programs".[6] The U.S. General Accountability Office concluded in 2003 that the program was sometimes counterproductive in some populations, with those who graduated from D.A.R.E. later having higher than average rates of drug use (a boomerang effect).
[edit]2007 - Perspectives on Psychological Science Article
In March 2007, the D.A.R.E. program was placed on a list of treatments that have the potential to cause harm in clients in the APS journal, Perspectives on Psychological Science.[38]

So the US Surgeon General and the program can cause harm to clients lol.

What I mean by that is that the ones who have already been corrupted by this scourge can be killed of by the social darwin, but have laws in place to stop other from decending into the darkness.

How exactly is the idea of rehab for weed laughable. Its a drug, they are addicted. That crap will not fly. They must be brought off it immediatly, or I guess more ASAP.

Idlemessiah:
Draconian much?

But you are legalizing something that is harmful to you. The government would basically say "even though all data says this is bad for you, we will legalize it anyway." NO! That will not fly! And actually, you just pointed out what I have been saying the whole time...this move will NOT make the Cartels disappear. They will muscle in on the legal stuff to try and get the edge, they will will find other means to make a profit, all that stuff. The only way to get rid of them is to show no mercy.[/quote]

Abandon4093:

BOOM headshot65:

Abandon4093:

It would be that easy.

ALL of them.

I have zero tolerence for bullies.

Dictators, drug lords, and terrorist are bullies in my eyes, while police, the miltary and the US government are the good guys in my eyes.

Kendarik:
You kept talking about this dare thing I've never heard of so I looked it up. What a joke:

2001 - Surgeon General categorizes D.A.R.E. "Ineffective Primary Prevention Programs"
In 2001, the Surgeon General of the United States, David Satcher M.D. Ph.D., placed the D.A.R.E. program in the category of "Ineffective Primary Prevention Programs".[6] The U.S. General Accountability Office concluded in 2003 that the program was sometimes counterproductive in some populations, with those who graduated from D.A.R.E. later having higher than average rates of drug use (a boomerang effect).
[edit]2007 - Perspectives on Psychological Science Article
In March 2007, the D.A.R.E. program was placed on a list of treatments that have the potential to cause harm in clients in the APS journal, Perspectives on Psychological Science.[38]

So the US Surgeon General and the program can cause harm to clients lol.

It seemed to work fine for me.

BOOM headshot65:

Abandon4093:

BOOM headshot65:

ALL of them.

I have zero tolerence for bullies.

Dictators, drug lords, and terrorist are bullies in my eyes, while police, the miltary and the US government are the good guys in my eyes.

Like I said, knowledgeable as you are sane.

What are you? From the 50's or something?

Is your avatar an actual photograph of you?

There are two sides to every story and you'd have to be completely pants on head retarded to think the world is as black and white as you're making it out to be.

I hate these threads. I just can't believe how much stupid comes out when these threads pop up.

I tell myself every time "I'll say away from the next one of these, because that one might do me in with high blood pressure or something."

But each time I come back, and sure as shit I start foaming at the mouth.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Guess I'm never going to Canada again :/.

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

Hmmm the thing is the government isn't passing anything here, the court has simply determined that Canada's current policies are constitutionally invalid, as a result it is on the government's shoulders to fix the laws. Though, since the laws are now defined as unconstitutional, failure to make amends will result in a human rights violation and cannot be tolerated by Canada's highest court.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is actually very anti-marijuana, ever since taking office in 2006 he has made a consistent effort to pass the notorious "Bill C-15", which would impose mandatory prison sentences on anybody caught with marijuana. The prison sentences suggested have varied from 6 months to 24 months, typically upon each reintroduction it has started with 24 months.

One of the major issues coming into question these days is why we're even bothering with prohibition. The substance is relatively safe, and even the worst of modern studies cannot make it out to be any worse than alcohol or tobacco. Canada is a fairly small country in terms of population, but even we spend a whopping 500 million dollars a year combating the marijuana trade. In fact marijuana is the number one source of income for modern day gangs and mobs, it is a proven fact that criminal groups thrive off of the prohibition of a popular substance, Al Capone anyone?

It is rather sad though, the prohibition of alcohol is commonly cited since it is the exact same situation we have with marijuana today. The sad part is we all know alcohol prohibition was a terrible idea and only served to act against the economy and the general populace, even endangering them by allowing increased gang activity. We all know it was a bad idea, the government knows it, I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. We all know it, and we're still doing the exact same thing.

You accidentally drop your keys in a pot of boiling water, so you reach into the pot and burn yourself, lesson learned, it was a bad idea, you find a safer way to get the keys out. Later that day you accidentally drop your bus fare in a pot of boiling water, you know by now that the water is hot, but you reach into the pot anyway and burn yourself again. There's something counterproductive going on here.

wintercoat:

Nothing is more entertaining than black and white arguments on a grey subject.

It is the clash of black and white that creates the shade of grey.

BOOM headshot65:

Olrod:

Reason= Impaired judgement, cancer, long term health conditions such as scitzophrania

So you'd say that people who smoke and drink are equally as criminal and should be locked up?

Tobacco and alcohol cause far more serious long-term health issues than cannabis.

One word YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im Canadian so i get to smoke up whoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it goes through I think it will be one step closer to it being legalized in the US as well. But eh, all the power to you canada. I dont use it, and I dont judge someone on if tehy use it, just waht they do while using, so I couldnt care less either way. just as long as they have to obey the same rules as smokers, Im good.

I wish I could enjoy marijuana. I really do. I thoroughly enjoy the culture and people surrounding it, but I am not of them. Somewhere out there, there are about a half a dozen other dudes who get cantankerous and violent like me when they should be completely docile on weed, and we shall make a kung fu movie when time allows. For now though, I'm left to defend my kinder, gentler friends, neighbors and fellow citizens who do enjoy marijuana use...which is to say about a third of everyone around me. How do I do that? With money. Lots and lots of money.

If one considers only the cost of housing offenders convicted on NON-VIOLENT marijuana possession charges in this country (the U.S. that is. Howdy Canadians and concerned citizens of the world) the idea of paying taxes seems just a little bit sillier than usual. Roughly one of every six federal inmates is such a non-violent offender, and due to the fact that one of the "War on Drugs'" main weapons was the implementation of mandatory minimum sentences that do not allow for the chance of parole, it is 112% feasible for convicted murderers, rapists, larcenists, arsonists and just plain mean dudes to see less time behind bars than their statistically chiller brothers and sisters in incarceration.

This is to say nothing of the cost of finding these offenders, because frankly the budgets of the agencies tasked with halting drug crime in America aren't something that I think are inflated. Meth is an absolute plague in this country, cocaine's coming back in a nasty way, and knock-off opiate prescriptions are in the homes of many of our most (apparently) unassuming addicts. All of this requires aid, and not just for us. Our neighbors to the South are the victims of constant badgering and crossfire from rival cartel factions, which they are powerless to escape due to economic factors and an unreceptive public in the states bordering their country. In short, the money being spent to investigate and try marijuana offenders could be put to better use.

And those cartel groups I mentioned earlier? Both they and our own domestic organized criminals could only be hurt by the decriminalization of marijuana, since they would no longer be its principle suppliers to the public.

There's lots and lots more to this, as the seven pages prior to my rant clearly indicate, but the point is simple: if we can agree that the medical and recreational use of marijuana is neither the savior of our times or the instrument of Sauron's third rise to power, then the monetary arguments for its decriminalization ALONE are staggering.

Oh, and culinary use. It makes a dandy vinaigrette.

Well just so long as people arn't so ignorant to think that just because pot is legalized, or decriminalized, that they can hop in a car and drive. Your still impaired.
Otherwise I'm pretty cool.
Oh and that you can only smoke inside your house, or someone else's house. And theres no children there.

Kendarik:
Sorry, while I favor legalization, what you are saying is wrong. Those people are impaired. I know they don't think they are, but they are. It's just like in the 1950s when all the drunks would have told you that they were just fine driving after a night of drinking.

Sorry, thought I was done, but not quite. Just had to point out the veracity of the preceding statement. In all the time I've spent with marijuana users, I've seen all the same good and bad habits that I have witnessed with alcohol, carbohydrates, sex, gaming and anything else people use to take the edge off. The ones that are doing it right use their chosen relaxing agent to unwind, as opposed to biting off the heads of their loved ones. Those using these things incorrectly make far too much use of them, to the detriment of their physical, emotional and social health.

Balanced perspectives are a rare enough thing that I feel they should be pointed at and commended.

This may make me sound stupid or misinformed, but I still don't get what the big deal is with marijuana. I mean, why is it illegal? It's no worse than other substances currently being sold legally (I'm looking at you Four Loko).
I don't get exactly what makes it illegal and why it is such a big issue, even though people have explained it to me several times.

Jove:
I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but i think we should legalize weed and ban nicotine/cigirettes. At least weed doesn't kill you.

Inhaling any type of smoke for an extended period of time will kill you.
Lung cancer. It develops.

But, weed is still less dangerous than ciggs.
So I agree.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

You know alcohol used to be illegal, right? And you know drunk drivers kill A LOT of people each year? Knowing that, alcohol is still perfectly legal. You know how many people are killed each year by pot? None.

I don't drink or smoke (weed or otherwise,) but there are much more hazardous substances that are legal. Smoking cigarettes are more hazardous to your health than weed, and those are perfectly legal, after all.

So, what your saying is, is that the Marijuana that is being leagalised isnt the illegal stuff, and thus would have absolutely no effect on the actiual drug? So nothing would change except for a different type of tobacco being avalable?

Big Fkin woop.

Waaghpowa:
Here's a thought. Every "drug" that has been made illegal, people get anyway. Criminals don't obey the law, that's why they're criminals. Remember prohibition on alcohol? Remember how that turned out? Did it stop people from drinking?

Making substances illegal that people are just going to get anyway just makes it dangerous, not just that, but a waste of money. The government wastes large sums of tax payer money to stop illegal drug distribution and nothing changes. If marijuana gets legalized, it will be regulated by the government like alcohol is and there will be less crime associated with the distribution of it. The same can be true for any illegal drug. The fact that Canada could be legalizing marijuana is a sign that society is slowly getting out of its old close minded ways. Everyone will benefit from this. The government will tax the hell out of it and there will be less dealers.

Note: I do no condone the use of drugs and I myself do not use drugs OR drink.

Heres some food for thought.

#1 Legalizing drugs doesn't eliminate a criminal element. People steal drugs of all kinds despite them being legal. Also, you simply make new criminal element, bootleg drugs. And taxing the hell out of it is just a ploy to get them thar conservatives on the bandwagon. You really aren't thinking 5 minutes past that notion. By "taxing the hell out of it" you make it cheaper to bootleg things like cigarettes. And you think that those people are nice? Not really. Just as bad as illegal drug traffickers.

#2 Lets say all drugs were made legal tomorrow. What do you think all the drug dealers, gangs and cartels are going to go do? Pack up their shit, go home and find real jobs? No. They're going find some other illegal profitable activity. ya, thats what we need, more human sex slave tracking so a bunch of pot heads and coke fiends can get their fix. YAY!

BarbaricGoose:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

You know alcohol used to be illegal, right? And you know drunk drivers kill A LOT of people each year? Knowing that, alcohol is still perfectly legal. You know how many people are killed each year by pot? None.

That's pretty much a lie. Even if its lower than alcohol. To say that someone being stupid on pot has never caused a death, even just the users, is the height of ignorant thinking.

And no, I'm not talking about someone dying from an overdose.

About damn time. Plus I reckon it'll open up a whole new job market, which would be nice for the economy.

Enjoy it, Canada!

My opinion; I really don't care. It doesn't affect me, though I know a few friends who smoke it. I say; More power to them.

I'll just sit here and play my games because this law isn't going to make me wander the streets looking for marijuana. ._.

Dear my government,
Stop proposing things without telling everyone.
thank you

seriously this is the first i've heard of this...

USSR:

Jove:
I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but i think we should legalize weed and ban nicotine/cigirettes. At least weed doesn't kill you.

Inhaling any type of smoke for an extended period of time will kill you.
Lung cancer. It develops.

But, weed is still less dangerous than ciggs.
So I agree.

Studies have been surprised to find no link between cannabis smoking and cancer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

2006: "The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer."

Of course, there are other short term demonstrable effects common to any kind of smoking, such as raised carbon monoxide level in the blood. One solution is the use of vaporizers, the active chemical THC is an essential oil that vaporizes around 200F degrees, this is below the combustion point so it avoid the combustion by products that make smoke hazardous.

Can't say I hope it passes, since I'm not one of the cool kids who's all about legalization.

girzwald:

BarbaricGoose:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

That's pretty much a lie. Even if its lower than alcohol. To say that someone being stupid on pot has never caused a death, even just the users, is the height of ignorant thinking.

And no, I'm not talking about someone dying from an overdose.

I notice you completely ignored the point about alcohol, even if the number of deaths attributed to cannabis was underestimated.

While there hasn't really been any studies done into the long-term effects of cannabis consumption on the human body, it's a well documented fact that nicotine is addictive and that alcohol poisons the body in high doses. Cirrhosis of the liver being one of the main problems for heavy drinkers.

Jimmybobjr:
What happened to you, canada? you used to be cool. I used to always dream of going to canada. But not anymore.

Drugs mess up people. One of my friends was one of them. Seriously. I hope this falls straight down.

Seriously, you could just as easily say people who take Melatonin are the scum of humanity. You realize this is just marijuana, right? Not Meth, not heroin, not ex. Weed. Marijuana. The only reason it's illegal in the first place was because of inaccurate testing.

If you've gone through puberty, you pretty much have nothing to worry about. It's gonna get the same laws as alcohol.

Jesus people. My dad was in the Drug Enforcement Agency for his whole life, and even I find marijuana still being illegal laughable.

BOOM headshot65:

I guess not. But my thing is that I am against Marijania. Period. But that is also the same thing for other illegals and smoking tobacco. I am somewhat against Alchohol and smokeless tobacco too, but alchohol, if taken in small amounts, has little to no effect on the drinker and with smokeless, well, at least your the only one poisoning yourself.

The fact that you aren't against alcohol completely negates your argument. Seriously, rehab for weed smokers? What kind of bullshit is that?

JoesshittyOs:

The fact that you aren't against alcohol completely negates your argument. Seriously, rehab for weed smokers? What kind of bullshit is that?

Rehab if someone is addicted to a substance? Bullshit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked