Shots fired from Canadian government, the war against marijuana may end in 7 days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

girzwald:

BarbaricGoose:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Guess I'm never going to Canada again :/.

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

You know alcohol used to be illegal, right? And you know drunk drivers kill A LOT of people each year? Knowing that, alcohol is still perfectly legal. You know how many people are killed each year by pot? None.

That's pretty much a lie. Even if its lower than alcohol. To say that someone being stupid on pot has never caused a death, even just the users, is the height of ignorant thinking.

And no, I'm not talking about someone dying from an overdose.

Someone being stupid is different than the drug causing you to be stupid. When you're high, you laugh at stupid shit, it doesn't make you do stupid things.

No one has died due to marijuana use alone. No one in history. That being said, I'm sure people have died while high. That number is slim, and I seriously doubt that weed was the biggest contributing factor. I would guess the number is less than 100 people each year, and I would challenge you to find figures that say otherwise. That number is pretty close to the amount of people that are killed by bees/wasps each year (about 50.) And compared to the number of deaths caused by alcohol (reported as anywhere from 25k to 65k deaths each year,) the number of deaths "Caused" by weed seems even more miniscule. THC is one of the safest chemicals known to man, whereas alcohol is one of the most dangerous. And you know cigarettes cause cancer, right? Yeah, okay. Just makin' sure.

Looks, it's fine if you don't like weed--I don't like weed, and I don't like people smoking it near me. That doesn't make it bad. If statistics aren't enough to convince you that it's benign, then there's nothing more I can say.

I think it is a sign that Canada is a country of sane people.

Look ta the total failure of the 1920s Volstead Act in the USA, otherwise known as the Prohibition Era. Did outlawing the wholesaling and importation of alcohol stop anyone getting a drink ? No. Did it allow gangsters to get rich enough to completely corrupt the US system of Government ? Yes. Has the current prohibition on recreational drugs reduced their availability or desirability ? No, quite the reverse. Drug Prohibition is a stupid law that needs to be rolled back around the world, but especially in Mexico where tens of thousands of people have been murdered by drug gangs.

How would changing the law fix Mexico's problem ? I hear you ask. Well, if the gangs ran out of money because their illegal drugs could now be obtained legally thereby totally undercutting their profits, they would go out of business and have to become a lackluster underpaid insurgency before they simply fold.

Bad laws make the world a worse place. The use of recreational drugs and their sale are victimless crimes. Even an addict has the ability to shop around multiple suppliers these days, such has been the "success" of Drug Prohibition. It is about time that we collectively admit that drug prohibition has been a more catastrophic failure than alcohol prohibition in 1920s USA, or Coffee Prohibition in Ottoman Turkey.

I am please that Canada has made the sale of cannabis legal, lets hope other nations do likewise.

Dango:

JoesshittyOs:

The fact that you aren't against alcohol completely negates your argument. Seriously, rehab for weed smokers? What kind of bullshit is that?

Rehab if someone is addicted to a substance? Bullshit.

Wha... What? Addicted to weed?

Someone who gets caught smoking a joint, and mandatory rehab? You're joking, right? Or did you just read my sentence without looking at what the other guy said.

This is literally the most ill-informed thread I've ever been in. People are... just wow.

JoesshittyOs:

Dango:

JoesshittyOs:

The fact that you aren't against alcohol completely negates your argument. Seriously, rehab for weed smokers? What kind of bullshit is that?

Someone who gets caught smoking a joint, and mandatory rehab? You're joking, right? Or did you just read my sentence without looking at what the other guy said.

This is literally the most ill-informed thread I've ever been in. People are... just wow.

I never said everyone who smokes a joint needs rehab, don't put words in my mouth, I said "if someone is addicted", and don't act like it's impossible to be addicted to pot.

JoesshittyOs:

Are you implying that people cannot get addicted to weed?

Dango:

I never said everyone who smokes a joint needs rehab, don't put words in my mouth, I said "if someone is addicted", and don't act like it's impossible to be addicted to pot.

Don't want me to put words into your mouth?

Dango:

Don't put words in mine. Never even came close to saying that.

Freezy_Breezy:

Are you implying that people cannot get addicted to weed?

To both of you, no. I'm not. But I am saying that being addicted to weed can barely be considered an addiction. If you lose the source of weed, you feel absolutely no withdrawals. It's no more addicting than video games, TV, or the internet.

The only thing that's damaged by being "addicted" to weed is your bank account. And rehab to cure an addiction to weed? Pretty much insane.

And to both of you, his original comment was saying a person caught with weed should be forced into rehab as punishment.

JoesshittyOs:

Dango:

JoesshittyOs:

A person can become addicted to anything that causes pleasure of some sort.

people get addicted to exercise, food, and video games every so often, despite the fact that none of those things cause a phyisical dependency issue.

weed falls into that category. weed does not get you hooked by it's very nature like cigs but some people may get addicted and need help.

The Last Nomad:

Jove:
I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but i think we should legalize weed and ban nicotine/cigirettes. At least weed doesn't kill you.

You'll get no hate from me friend.
But how am I supposed to roll joints without tobacco? Although it would be cheaper to buy a bong.

I prefer to use a pipe.

Anyway, being from Canada and being an occasional pot smoker, I am all for legalization.

Dango:

JoesshittyOs:

Dango:

you do know that weed has less of an addictive hold then tobacco right?
and that most of the chemicals you absorb from smoking it are already produced by the human body.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

Seriously, what goverment would have such disrespect and lack of dignity to pass something like this? If my goverment were to do such a thing, I would leave the country.

You do not compromise with criminals, you arrest them. Such scum in humanity should be severly punished.

Settle down its not like they are legalizing something dangerous like alcohol.

Combine this with the free healthcare and I may never leave this country again. Now if only we could get rid of all the hardcore hipsters, I mean I'm a little hipster, but seriously.

JoesshittyOs:

If you've gone through puberty, you pretty much have nothing to worry about. It's gonna get the same laws as alcohol.

Funny, that. Laws against alchohol.

Almost certainly America is different, but Down Under, Laws against alchohol are completely and utterly ignored.

People the age of 13 are going out binge drinking most weekends for the hell of it. And there is nothing stopping them.

Heck, im 17, and still underaged, and every person i know that is my age is either drinking or lives in a family that forbids alchohol for whatever reason, be it religon or whatever.

So you could say im against Alchohol too.

And before you say it, yes, i know the Prohibition. The difference is, is that Alchohol was legal for thousands of years before its ban, and was already a firm hold in society. Drugs are illegal, and they should stay illegal before they become common too.

My overall point is, is despite laws forbiding use for people under, say, the age if 21, 18, 16 or whatever, the law WILL be ignored. And you KNOW that. So still, people that havent gone through puberty dont "Have nothing to worry about."

Well, if I lived in Canada I'd be hopeful it passed and then the police could divert all the money spent chasing after and incarcerating people who use/sell weed to catching some real criminals instead, and if they overlap which sometimes they surely do they can imprison them for actual crimes.
Not living in Canada I hope it all goes well and then maybe in the face of Canada, Portugal, the Netherlands and IIRC parts of Aus and Italy not disintegrating into post apocalyptic hell-holes my governments might do the same and stop wasting my taxes on policing a bunch of people who like inhaling the fumes given off by a burning plant.

I don't know much about drugs. But what I do know is that the 'war on drugs' is not working. We've sort of legalized marijuana here in the Netherlands and it has no real tangible effect on our society. So you ask me, I'd say it's a good thing to legalize it and stop wasting money and people trying to catch criminals who are working with marijuana.

"Contrary to popular belief, you can't overdose on Marijuana. Though many have tried."

God I HOPE this goes through!I just want to see the day when I can buy weed and vodka at the same store :p

Good ole NB liquor

Jimmybobjr:

JoesshittyOs:

If you've gone through puberty, you pretty much have nothing to worry about. It's gonna get the same laws as alcohol.

Almost certainly America is different, but Down Under, Laws against alchohol are completely and utterly ignored.

People the age of 13 are going out binge drinking most weekends for the hell of it. And there is nothing stopping them.

Heck, im 17, and still underaged, and every person i know that is my age is either drinking or lives in a family that forbids alchohol for whatever reason, be it religon or whatever.

And before you say it, yes, i know the Prohibition. The difference is, is that Alchohol was legal for thousands of years before its ban, and was already a firm hold in society. Drugs are illegal, and they should stay illegal before they become common too.

My overall point is, is despite laws forbiding use for people under, say, the age if 21, 18, 16 or whatever, the law WILL be ignored. And you KNOW that. So still, people that havent gone through puberty dont "Have nothing to worry about."

You say that like kids aged 13 aren't doing pot right now anyway. And hell, most people I know from my grad class have smoked pot before, if not right now. So it's not like it isn't happening

Jimmybobjr:

So you're gonna go ahead and ignore everything I said in the first paragraph? Alrighty.

I'm sorry to hear that. Though it's actually not that hard to enforce drinking ages, provided you card the kids. Not to mention that alcohol has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. I was merely saying that it's going to have the same restrictions as alcohol, which I believe is 19 in Canada.

What exactly are you saying? This line of thought really doesn't make sense. That the age limit to smoke weed if your underage is gonna be ignored?

Maybe perhaps, like it's being ignored right now?

Do you not know how prevalent weed is in society as it is? And what's the alternative to this? Enforce a police state to get people to stop smoking it? Get aggressive and crack down on people who are putting something almost entirely harmless into their bodies?

Great fucking idea.

No, you don't get to say what I can and cannot put into my body. If kids are getting their hands into it? So what?

Be better parents. Take the money out of the enforcement and put it into programs encouraging abstaining from all things you consider bad for me. But when you go about trying to tell me what to do and what not to do because the kids down the street can't keep it in check, that's when I tell you to pretty much fuck off.

Prohibition didn't work with alcohol, didn't work with pot.

Fancy the fuck out of that.

I have no problems with it what so ever.

Really? America needs another vice? You can already legally blast the shit out of a wrecked car with an AK-47 drunk of your ass on cheap whiskey while smoking a cigar, and you need pot too?

Come on guys, let's just be thankful for what we have.

Bishop99999999:
Really? America needs another vice? You can already legally blast the shit out of a wrecked car with an AK-47 drunk of your ass on cheap whiskey while smoking a cigar, and you need pot too?

Come on guys, let's just be thankful for what we have.

I don't think you can actually do that in Canada. Even if you could, what if you don't like cheap whiskey, AK47's and cigars? You can be thankful for what you have and also want to improve things.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

You could as well be talking about the Underground Railroad and say the exact same thing.

Weed's not harmed anyone like.. Practically any other drug has. It's certainly better on your lungs than cigarettes, and then once you're high you're not going to want to go out driving with your reflexes shot as if you were drunk, and even if you do you're going to be paranoid and driving 10 mph under the limit being the BESTEST DRIVER EVER because what if I hit a twinkie truck and then we won't have twinkies for like a month because it's full of car!

Next to that, Marijuana being illegal creates income for criminals in the same way as the Prohibition perpetuated crime in the 20s. During the alcohol prohibition the stigma has always been Alcohol is okay, it always will be, but now it's illegal wtf? I'm going to just buy more from these irishmen who have PREMIUM Irish Import.
And Canada has a huuuuuge Hells Angels presence, make that stuff legal and you're cutting out a ton of their business.

Edit: Oh yeah, despite Canada doesn't have this problem but America sure does; We have over crowded prisons, compounding the problem we don't reform but punish because we have too many criminals and that's expensive!
Now, a LOT of those people in there are in there because of something petty like weed, and because of the harsh punishment environment created in American prisons if you aren't a criminal when you go in, you definitely will be one on your way out.

My feelings: I wish it was legal in Norway :|

so how much does a airplane ticket from sydney to canada cost these days?

I'd just like to clarify that this isn't a bill, there's no bill being passed at this moment. This is a simple matter of our laws being defined as unconstitutional, and the federal government's task is to refute that claim or otherwise change the laws. It's undisputed in Canada that the use of medicinal marijuana is a human right. The current laws inhibit people from enjoying this right, and as such they are a human rights violation. Now that this hole has been identified, it is of high priority. You cannot allow an ongoing human rights violation to persist for prolonged periods of time.

The original deadline was 3 months, was extended to 11 months in July. If the government fails to properly address the situation, there won't be a lot of choice. Regardless of outcome, this will arguably be the biggest milestone in legalization for Canada and the States. Our constitutions are virtually identical, a victory over here can only mean you gain ground in the States as well.

I'm just praying Harper makes the wrong move and tries to challenge the decision rather than change the laws. They've already placed the blame on doctors being unwilling to cooperate with the medicinal marijuana program. While they are correct that the doctors are to blame for a good deal of the problem, it's still not exactly fixing the problem, and it's not going to be an easy task to convince them otherwise in less than a year. One also has to wonder if that's going to be enough. You can't just say, "well we're sorry for all the trouble, give us another chance and we'll try and do things better." It's a constitutional violation, you can't let that go under good faith.

EDIT: The federal government does have a bill of their own though.

Bill C-15/S-10, this bill has been killed and raised from the dead numerous times since Harper taking office in 2006. The slight difference is he's talking hardcore law enforcement and jail time while the rest of the country is talking legalization, glad to see we're all on the same page here. Though of course we know this is the same guy who doesn't care what the public thinks and loves making uninformed decisions.

http://www.hilltimes.com/opinion-piece/opinion/2010/07/19/harper-knows-best-or-does-he/24232

Psh, it's not a big deal, you know. I've never met anyone who is addicted to pot, and more importantly, I've never heard of a single crime that was commited because someone was high. Now alcohol, that's a lot more dangerous. We've had in legal for years upon years in the Netherlands, and it isn't total anarchy here, despite what Bill O'Reilly says.

BOOM headshot65:

How exactly is the idea of rehab for weed laughable. Its a drug, they are addicted. That crap will not fly. They must be brought off it immediatly, or I guess more ASAP.

and

But you are legalizing something that is harmful to you. The government would basically say "even though all data says this is bad for you, we will legalize it anyway." NO! That will not fly! And actually, you just pointed out what I have been saying the whole time...this move will NOT make the Cartels disappear. They will muscle in on the legal stuff to try and get the edge, they will will find other means to make a profit, all that stuff. The only way to get rid of them is to show no mercy.

Ok... people go to rehab for all sorts of things, weed included, but rehab is for people who have a problem. Lets say the cops pull a drunk teenager off the street. They get a stern word and a night in the cells. What they don't get is to be sent on a 6 week course to rid them of their alcohol dependance. It just doesn't work like that.

and

Umm hello?! Theres this thing that people drink that makes them act irrationally, kills their livers and makes them hurl. However anyone who's taken a class in American history can tell you that banning the stuff is a BAD IDEA. There is plently of legal stuff out there thats worse for you than weed matey so why NOT legalise it?

And your drug cartels? Sure they won't disappear overnight. Having their market taken away will hurt sure but they won't go away. Thats why you keep going after them, since anything not sold at a legal vendor is still illegal. Even if weed is legalised, they won't be prosecuted for possession any more but they COULD be prosecuted for illegal distribution.

JoesshittyOs:
like it's being ignored right now?

Whos, mate, calm down.

That was my entire point. Although, i couldve said it clearer, but that was my point; these laws are being ignored.

But, unlike what you are saying (Abolish the laws) I say we should enforce them better.

And to be truthful, i am ignoring most of your posts since its mostly just contradicting my argument. And then i can contradict your argument, and then this ends up like that Monty Python sketch and we get nowhere.

"WEED IS BAD"
"NO ITS NOT"
"YES IT IS"
"ITS NOT"
*DINGDING*
"GOOD MORNING!"

(To be fair, im contradicting you right now, so feh)

Legalizing weed actually improves tourism.
No really in the Netherlands we have weed tourists People come from the borders buy a small sack of weed and smoke it.
But they must stay in Holland till itīs out of their system and if they drive home and get stopped by the police they have to pay a 100 euro fine if they are lucky.
Or if they come during the day they often have breakfast in a restaurant.
This actually makes us money instead of wasting it on stopping students who just want to have a joint.

kortin:
I really don't care.

I think people who do pot are weak, but that's about the extent of my feelings for the matter.

Edit for Elaboration a little:

I find anyone who does a drug (that isn't prescribed) or drinks alcohol to make themselves feel better to be weak.

What if I smoke and drink not to make myself feel better, but merely because I enjoy it?

BOOM headshot65:
this scourge can be killed of by the social darwin

What are you talking about? A social Darwin? What?

BOOM headshot65:
How exactly is the idea of rehab for weed laughable. Its a drug, they are addicted. That crap will not fly. They must be brought off it immediatly, or I guess more ASAP.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Marijuana, addictive? I don't even-

Please do not take this personally, but you have a fundamental ideology that substances that are currently illegal are inherently bad. This is not true. Heroin, in the states, used to be legal. People eventually see reason, and the law changes. Seriously over here in Europe, everybody laughs at how little freedom people have in America.

Abandon4093:
Like I said, knowledgeable as you are sane.

What are you? From the 50's or something?

Is your avatar an actual photograph of you?

There are two sides to every story and you'd have to be completely pants on head retarded to think the world is as black and white as you're making it out to be.

No, I am only 18. But the 1950's is my favorite time period in terms of morals. If we could just rid it of racism and sexism, it would be perfect.

No, my avatar is Robert E. Lee, My favorite General and person of all time.

How is this not black and white. One side is you are addicted to an illegal substance and/or are selling it and deserve punishment, or you are on the right side of the law.

Dr Red:

What are you talking about? A social Darwin? What?

Social Darwinism is what I am talking about.

BOOM headshot65:
Seriously over here in Europe, everybody laughs at how little freedom people have in America.

Maybe thats because they are under the misconception that America is a Democracy. We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Democracy. We have always been, and will contuine to be a Republic.

JoesshittyOs:
Jesus people. My dad was in the Drug Enforcement Agency for his whole life, and even I find marijuana still being illegal laughable.

So you are basically just rebelling against your parents. GREEAATT. *rolling eyes*

Oh great, the "ones legal, so they all should be" fallicy. Plus, they are addicted to a drug, thus they deserve rehab.

PlatonicRapist:
snip

The failure of prohibition was caused by people who didnt even bother to uphold the law. Police let people off, states open said they were selling liquir, and people openly drank it. This is the main differnce with the War on Drug...IT IS ACTUALLY BEING ENFORCED!

Jimmybobjr:

You are aware that cannabis has been legal for thousands of year as well, right?
The bans on the drug started in the 20th century.

Alcohol is also technically a drug, and cannabis is already common.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

So Your Scum for using it to get a quick high or to have some fun? And what part of letting people smoke pot is "Compromising with criminals"? Your statement is flawed and that's being very nice.

Also legalization could fight crime, you do realize that? If the Government began growing and selling Marijuana themselves it would cut out the cartels, gangs, and dealers.

I'm happy that my country is on the way to finally allowing people to use a drug that isn't as harmful as ones we can already legally use (Tobacco and arguably Alcohol) and I'm also glad to see something good finally be done during the Conservative Majority's reign, even if it's not by their doing. I'm also glad to see the government make a decision that reflects the majority of Canadians' opinion(You know how a democracy is supposed to work) as The majority of Canadians support Some form of decriminalization or legalization.

Ah it's good to be Canadian, as much as The Conservative government tries to change that.

As a note, I'm Pro-Legalization of Marijuana, but I'm not a user. Drugs and Alcohol aren't my thing.

Here's a poll showing that most Canadians agree that Marijuana should be legalized http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/17/majority-of-canadians-support-legalizing-or-decriminalizing-marijuana-new-poll-suggests/

It says 66% percent supports legalization, now if I'm correct that means more people support Legalization than people support our current conservative government (only 40 some percent voted for them)....So if Our current government got voted in with only 40% approval, why hasn't Pot begin legalized with it's 66% approval!

Remind me again why pot isn't already legal in Canada?

BOOM headshot65:

BOOM headshot65:
Seriously over here in Europe, everybody laughs at how little freedom people have in America.

Maybe thats because they are under the misconception that America is a Democracy. We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Democracy. We have always been, and will contuine to be a Republic.

The USA is a plutocracy.

EDIT - In case you can't tell by now I'm happy with my countries' movement to legalization

CobraX:
Remind me again why pot isn't already legal in Canada?

Social inertia and mindless worker-drones like BOOM heashot here.
It is astounding to me that there actually exists people who harbour a genuine resentment for critical thinking and individual thought.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked