True facts you can't get yourself to believe

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Let's hear it.

What hard-proven facts do YOU find incredibly unbelievable?

To start us off, $60 games are 399 NOK here in Norway. Fresh PS3 games are 599, which is $104. Just as bad as Australia.

Jennifer hale played Cinderella in the seaquels...

.....no fucking way

Pluto is a planet god damn it.

uhddh:

I agree. Entirely.
Nothing any scientist says will sway me!

When I was first taught about general relativity I found it hard to believe. I mean, come on, simply by being in low-gravity you age faster and time just general moves quicker?
But it's true, as it turns out. They have to reset the ATOMIC CLOCKS (super accurate clocks) on satellites every day, lest GPS be miles and miles off.

uhddh:

well given how many other objects are in our solar system just like pluto or larger and thus would be "planets" too you better start working on a new and very long mnemonic device to replace "My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas"

Polar bears are in fact black.
It blew my mind.

I was going to say the whole "we eat spiders a few times a year when we are asleep" but I pretty sure that is not concrete true fact.
So I guess I go with Pluto is in fact a planet! I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.

Scarim Coral:

So I guess I go with Pluto is in fact a planet! I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.

so I guess you want us to continue to believe the world is flat too? I mean wouldn't wanna give a "big screw you" to all those ancient Greek scientists who claimed it was :P

Scarim Coral:
I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.

The Greek who discover it? Erm, what?

Someone looked at he Twilight books and though "they will make GREAT movies", followed immediately by, "Twilight actually did make really successful movies"

O_o

Super position. How can something be in more than one place at the same time? And how does observation change where it is? Are the particles camera shy or something? I just can't wrap my head around it.

uhddh:

Also this. As far as I'm concerned if a body which orbits a star has enough mass for it to be spherical it should be a planet. If that means there's suddenly a hundred planets in our solar system then so be it, why not? I don't see any reason why that definition is insufficient.

Subatomic particles and their electronic charge...

Still don't get why...

Please note, I am a chemistry graduate...

Popadoo:
When I was first taught about general relativity I found it hard to believe. I mean, come on, simply by being in low-gravity you age faster and time just general moves quicker?
But it's true, as it turns out. They have to reset the ATOMIC CLOCKS (super accurate clocks) on satellites every day, lest GPS be miles and miles off.

It could be so hard to believe because general relativity isnt true. At least certain aspects you have to use special relativity to get a sensible answer. If we ever get one theory that actually works for everything it may well be a whole lot easier to understnad.

Also, the actually US GPS system, I dont know about GLONASS, GNSS or future Galileo, Compass or IRNSS systems, but I suspect they are the same, you don't actually alter the clock on the satellites (I misspelt this as satalites and auto correct has suggest to me Australites, Natality, Satanism and Satanist.....Go go autocorrect...) they check them individually against known location ground station and then work out the time error based on the error in position, the satalite then as part of the ping it sends out of its position says "I have an error of this" which the handheld devices then compensate for.

Also, I'm fairly sure the standard theory for the loss of time is due to the speed they are travelling relative to the earth is that much greater and the closer you get to the speed of light the slower you age (Though this could just be the special theory of relativity). The actual loss of time per day for satellites is negligible but it does become significant over time. For one day however the inaccuracies generated by the bending of the signal path as it travels through the atmosphere is significantly greater. Compensating for this bending is one of the biggest problems in satellite navigation as the difference it can make is huge.

Scrustle:
Super position. How can something be in more than one place at the same time? And how does observation change where it is? Are the particles camera shy or something? I just can't wrap my head around it.

quantum mechanics are not for the sane to understand :P

also superposition is one word

Talshere:

Popadoo:

It could be so hard to believe because general relativity isnt true. At least certain aspects you have to use special relativity to get a sensible answer. If we ever get one theory that actually works for everything it may well be a whole lot easier to understnad.

Also, the actually US GPS system, I dont know about GLONASS, GNSS or future Galileo, Compass or IRNSS systems, but I suspect they are the same, you don't actually alter the clock on the satellites (I misspelt this as satalites and auto correct has suggest to me Australites, Natality, Satanism and Satanist.....Go go autocorrect...) they check them individually against known location ground station and then work out the time error based on the error in position, the satalite then as part of the ping it sends out of its position says "I have an error of this" which the handheld devices then compensate for.

Also, I'm fairly sure the standard theory for the loss of time is due to the speed they are travelling relative to the earth is that much greater and the closer you get to the speed of light the slower you age (Though this could just be the special theory of relativity). The actual loss of time per day for satellites is negligible but it does become significant over time. For one day however the inaccuracies generated by the bending of the signal path as it travels through the atmosphere is significantly greater. Compensating for this bending is one of the biggest problems in satellite navigation as the difference it can make is huge.

They don't lose time, the clocks actually SPEED UP when orbiting the Earth. Yeah, their high speeds will make their clocks slow down too, but the effect gravity has on time is much greater than the effect speed has on time.
When they first developed satellites they didn't believe simply being high up, away from stronger gravitational pull, would effect them. Within MINUTES the satellite was so far off GPS would mark you miles from your position. Granted, it's literally hundredth of a millisecond difference, but when you're trying to triangulate say, a phone out of anywhere on the whole EARTH, it makes the difference.

Popadoo:

Talshere:

Popadoo:

They don't lose time, the clocks actually SPEED UP when orbiting the Earth. Yeah, their high speeds will make their clocks slow down too, but the effect gravity has on time is much greater than the effect speed has on time.
When they first developed satellites they didn't believe simply being high up, away from stronger gravitational pull, would effect them. Within MINUTES the satellite was so far off GPS would mark you miles from your position. Granted, it's literally hundredth of a millisecond difference, but when you're trying to triangulate say, a phone out of anywhere on the whole EARTH, it makes the difference.

Not a huge one since you require minimum 4 satellites to take a position. 3 for a position in space, this actually gives 2 positions but the second will be nonsensical like a few thousand miles off the earth or in the earth's mantle and a 4th which does correct for time error. On a bad day most handhelds can take 6 sources.

Galletea:
Polar bears are in fact black.
It blew my mind.

This, I still find the concept to be pretty strange.

At some point in the past, my parents must have had sex. I just... can't accept it.

That there are people who think that the holocaust never happened, I mean the level of ignorance is just astounding!

TheRightToArmBears:
At some point in the past, my parents must have had sex. I just... can't accept it.

just be glad you never walked in on them doing it so you still have the option of denial

We probably won't ever meet the other lifeforms from the other hospitable planets in our universe.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

lRookiel:
That there are people who think that the holocaust never happened, I mean the level of ignorance is just astounding!

Argh, yes, definitely that one.

Though, that's denial for ideological reasons, at leats mostly, rather than not actually knowing.

You get the odd person who ahsn't heard of 9/11, though.

Oh, people voting Princess Diana's death as the most important thing to happen in the 20th century. Fuck.

Isnt pluto technically a planet, its just called a dwarf planet.

Also the fact that Spongebob is a childrens show, seriously how did they think naming someone mr krabs who lives in bikini bottom child appropriate.

- The Raspberry Pi foundation is about to release a computer that would have been considered cutting age 20 years ago for 15.
- A particle is simultaneously a wave.
- People believe some of the things Rick Santorum says.

That particles behave differently when you look at them...

SHOW ME YOUR TRUE FORM!

That it's not butter. I can't believe it's not butter!

Okay just had to get that out of the way, never actually had the stuff.

Hmm... I'm just gonna go with I can't believe how stupid some people are. Believing things that are blatantly false, that I'd expect anyone to be able to figure out.

People who refuse to believe that the Holocaust and 9/11 occurred.

Sub atomic particles, damn you. o-o

Polar Bears are actually black. O.O

Scarim Coral:
I was going to say the whole "we eat spiders a few times a year when we are asleep" but I pretty sure that is not concrete true fact.

Clyde Tombaugh was Greek?!

Scarim Coral:

The spider thing have actually been adimitted to be a hoax. It was made up by some scientist to see how fast a rumor could spread around the world.

Fucking seasons being reversed from hemisphere to hemisphere. I know it's true. I mean, the seasons are there because of the axis of our planet, relative to the sun, is some 24 degrees off. Of course the seasons are reversed.

But seriously man, summer in December. What the shit.

I still can't believe this isn't a girl.

There actually exists people who think critical thinking and individual thought is a bad thing.
I cannot even begin to fathom how many years of indoctrination it must have taken to create such poor souls.

TheRightToArmBears:

I've accepted that in my parents...it's my Grandparents who I find it hard to believe...engaged...mainly because I've never met my grand Fathers (the implications of which I'm just going to ignore)

Sex aside; deep fried Beer, Soda and, Ice Cream. I've heard the method and seen what is supposedly the evidence that such things exist but no. No, no, no, no, no. Solids become liquids by achieving low temperatures, not by being deep fried. Yes, I've read about the planet covered in burning ice on Cracked but that's something completely different. Deep-Fried beer, soda and, Ice Cream are more fake than the Bat Boy.

people voted for Bush. both of them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked