So you live in Australia

and you get bitten by some venomous, a koala or some such, because you know, EVERYTHING in Australia is deadly in one way or another.

So what do you do? Whats the protocol for this? What if you get bit/stung but didnt see what it was? It cant be uncommon surely so what do you do? Call an ambulance? Calmly drive to A&E? Break out the germolene from the medicine cabinet (metaphorically)? I live in the UK and Europe in general doesn't have a whole lot of particularly dangerous animals that we dont import and keep in a zoo etc..

I've been wondering this this for some time and would be really interested in an answer.

If possible, try to identify the creature. Don't wash the area, immobilize it, and calmly make your way to the nearest medical facility. If possible, get someone to help you, to prevent movement (leaning on them to prevent moving a leg, for example).

You're able to at least identify species by the size and area of the bite, which tied with location can narrow down which antivenom to use. A snake's not going to crawl down your shirt unnoticed, for example, and (as an example) the red bellied black snake is more or less local to the east coast. Hospitals have detection kits, which is why not washing is a big thing. If all else, there are some "catch all" types, but they're not preferred.

you ignore it and walk off the pain like a man... then you crack a fosters and wrestle a crocodile

Antitonic:
If possible, try to identify the creature. Don't wash the area, immobilize it, and calmly make your way to the nearest medical facility. If possible, get someone to help you, to prevent movement (leaning on them to prevent moving a leg, for example).

You're able to at least identify species by the size and area of the bite, which tied with location can narrow down which antivenom to use. A snake's not going to crawl down your shirt unnoticed, for example, and (as an example) the red bellied black snake is more or less local to the east coast. Hospitals have detection kits, which is why not washing is a big thing. If all else, there are some "catch all" types, but they're not preferred.

There must be some none venomous creatures that give a fairly nasty bite though, so if you dont see it you still just good down to A&E? Is this fairly common for example in Australia, a few people show up with potential or unknown venomous bites? Administering a wrong or unneeded anti venom can be harmful can it not? How do you deal with this?

I don't think someone has died from a spider bite since the 80's as far as I'm concerned.

If you are ever bitten or stung by something you don't tamper with the bite, call an ambulance and then eventually you'll have the anti-venom.

If anything what you need to watch out for are the animals that use brute force to kill you, like this guy...

Don't piss him off!
Of course you don't exactly run into many cassowaries just by walking down the street.

ChupathingyX:
I don't think someone has died from a spider bite since the 80's as far as I'm concerned.

If you are ever bitten or stung by something you don't tamper with the bite, call an ambulance, tighten the area around the bite and then eventually you'll have the anti-venom.

Reading Wikipedia, apparently only 27 deaths in the last 100 years, 7 of which were children, zero have occured since 81 when a new antivemon was introduced. Fastest recorded death was 15 minutes in a "small child" but can take up to 3 days with envenomation occuring in 15mins to 2hrs (with pressure bandage)

Talshere:
There must be some none venomous creatures that give a fairly nasty bite though, so if you dont see it you still just good down to A&E? Is this fairly common for example in Australia, a few people show up with potential or unknown venomous bites? Administering a wrong or unneeded anti venom can be harmful can it not? How do you deal with this?

Hence the detection kits. If the bite is poisonous, there are other effects that tend to appear at the same time. Dizziness, vomiting, skin necrosis, and the like.

It's not exactly a common occurrence, but it does happen. Which is why hospitals keep an appropriately stocked kit, and why ambulances have a barebones "get you to a hospital" kit. Some of those detectors can be pretty damn accurate.

Talshere:

ChupathingyX:

If you are ever bitten or stung by something you don't tamper with the bite, call an ambulance, tighten the area around the bite and then eventually you'll have the anti-venom.

Reading Wikipedia, apparently only 27 deaths in the last 100 years, 7 of which were children, zero have occured since 81 when a new antivemon was introduced. Fastest recorded death was 15 minutes in a "small child" but can take up to 3 days with envenomation occuring in 15mins to 2hrs (with pressure bandage)

Exactly.

People blow the whole "Australian animals have declared war on humanity!" way out of proportion. Living in Australia is not some constant fight for survival where I have to fight several corocdiles just to get to school every morning.

Although, it is fun to play along with people who do think it's that dangerous.

well where i live http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant <- these kill more people than spiders, snakes, wasps, and sharks combined.

while the local "inchmen" are a type of bulldog ant that are around an inch to an inchan and a half long http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmecia yes they are as nasty as they look and a nest of them put me in hospital last year from 8 bites

ChupathingyX:

Talshere:

ChupathingyX:

Exactly.

People blow the whole "Australian animals have declared war on humanity!" way out of proportion. Living in Australia is not some constant fight for survival where I have to fight several corocdiles just to get to school every morning.

It's always fun to play with those people, It's amazing how many people think similar things of Canadians. Of course I don't help them, I just lead them along, talking about how I have to wrestle Grizzly Bears on a daily basis, or how we all live in Igloos. Is it wrong? maybe, but it's soo damn funny how gullible people are.

On topic: Well.. umm, I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said above.

ChupathingyX:

Talshere:

ChupathingyX:

Exactly.

You only have yourselfs to blame. Steve Erwin did you no favours in that department :P

I never thought you wrestled crocs but yeah having to go to A&E every time you get bitten/stung and dont get a good view of what did it must be a royal pain in the ass. The wiki page for the Aussie funnel web spider basically said if you get bitten by something that looked black and didn't fly away assume its a funnel web and go to hospital. I would be interested if a medical professional could give some ideas of numbers of people who come in with dangerous bites compared to those who actually have them. I suppose youd just sit them in a room under supervision for 2 or 3 hours. If they dont present with symptoms send them home.

My reading suggests that actually the Brazilian Wandering spider is the worst because it has a tendency to wander into houses and piles of clothes and is proportionally far more venomous then a funnel web but has a tendency to dry bite.

ChupathingyX:

No joke, those things are fucking insane. Dangerously insane. You think you have the advantage over some stupid bird? Think again dude, they run up to you and slice open your belly faster than you can say "Cassowaries are totally harmless".

Never, ever, EVER visiting Australia.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

ChupathingyX:

No joke, those things are fucking insane. Dangerously insane. You think you have the advantage over some stupid bird? Think again dude, they run up to you and slice open your belly faster than you can say "Cassowaries are totally harmless".

Wiki says that of 150 recorded cases since the 1920 or some such there has only been 1 recorded death in literature where 2 kids starting hitting one with sticks, one fell over and got a claw in the neck, he got away but bleed to death, of all the attacks like 70-80% were people trying to feed the damned things, the rest were territorial in nature. Treated like a house pet? No, but dangerous, only to idiots. Plates are dangerous to idiots. USB sticks are dangerous to idiots.

Talshere:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

ChupathingyX:

Wiki says that of 150 recorded cases since the 1920 or some such there has only been 1 recorded death in literature where 2 kids starting hitting one with sticks, one fell over and got a claw in the neck, he got away but bleed to death, of all the attacks like 70-80% were people trying to feed the damned things, the rest were territorial in nature. Treated like a house pet? No, but dangerous, only to idiots. Plates are dangerous to idiots. USB sticks are dangerous to idiots.

Seriously bro? Sure some of the victims were idiots but damn it those motherfucking things can jump out of a bush and kick your unsuspecting ass like its nothing. Cant you remember that one charming lady that was just having a little picnic on a busy beach when 2 of those fucking things ran out and sliced open her throat?

I grow a patch of chest hair, rip my shirt in half, wear a leather hat with crocodile teeth, and punch that son of a bitch while ending of all my battlecries with '...mate!'

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Talshere:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Seriously bro? Sure some of the victims were idiots but damn it those motherfucking things can jump out of a bush and kick your unsuspecting ass like its nothing. Cant you remember that one charming lady that was just having a little picnic on a busy beach when 2 of those fucking things ran out and sliced open her throat?

If youd actually read my opening post, youd know I was from the UK, new like that generally doesn't cross continents. Im just taking what I got from wikipedia. It say 1 death like 90 years ago.

I've lived in Australia for 18 years, and I've only been bitten by a snake.
It was domesticated and it bit me because I was playing with it.

Unless you are stupid Australia is no more deadly than anywhere else.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked