Cop Tasers Fleeing Handcuffed Girl, Head injuries put her in vegetative state

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

As a criminal justice major and having watched many MANY videos like the one you posted OP you have to take many things into consideration.

Could she be on drugs? When on most uppers you don't feel pain.
Had the officer warned her before the actual tasing? Many don't just pull out their weapon and shoot.
Since she was already handcuffed and started running away, could she be running the police officer into a trap that she couldn't get to while not handcuffed? People do like to make traps.

Ultimately if you are just gonna bitch about the police, who have a VERY tough job, then why not become an officer and do the things they have to.

And to do a captcha thing, which i found to be quite ironic, it says "Was onmeth"

FelixG:

So, he tazed her, which dropped her to the ground

But he SHOULD have tackled her to the ground adding his own (Superior) momentum and his own (greater) weight to her fall DRIVING her into the ground and causing even more injuries?

If the guy's not capable of taking someone down without hurting them, he REALLY shouldn't be a cop.

Especially a 100 pound girl in handcuffs with her back to him.

rekabdarb:

Since she was already handcuffed and started running away, could she be running the police officer into a trap that she couldn't get to while not handcuffed? People do like to make traps.

How exactly would she have a trap set up outside the police station?

Well I guess this isn't technically a Darwin since her reproductive organs remain intact, but this is surely a case of "stupid person does stupid thing and discovers consequences." Sucks for her and I wouldn't wish that fate upon anyone, but she took her fate into her own hands there.

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

But he SHOULD have tackled her to the ground adding his own (Superior) momentum and his own (greater) weight to her fall DRIVING her into the ground and causing even more injuries?

If the guy's not capable of taking someone down without hurting them, he REALLY shouldn't be a cop.

Have you ever tried to stop a person gently while they are running full bore to get away from you? I have, and it isn't easy, I had to resort to tackling em, luckily on grass.

Aris Khandr:
I can't really feel too bad for her. It takes a special kind of stupid to run from the police AFTER you're already handcuffed. And it really isn't their job to run you down if you run. If I had the tool to stop you from running right now, rather than continuing to chase you for however long, I'd do it too.

This exactly. Glad to see such a sensible answer so soon.

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

Do you know a 100% safe way to stop a fleeing person that is 1/2 your size? One way or another she was hitting pavement in this situation. Concrete and asphalt are notoriously unforgiving substances.

Mortai Gravesend:

rekabdarb:

How exactly would she have a trap set up outside the police station?

I ono.

We don't know all the facts about this person! Your making (me thinks, considering your quoting a page 5 post) an assumption about something without seeing everything.

Since she was about to be taken to the County Jail, i think she would of had her phone call since she had to be in holding before hand.

Could of called someone.

Or couldn't of, again i don't know all the facts. All i know is a very very biased article written about the scene. And i would like to consider that article as biased; to quote the opening WAY too many cops are a bunch of fuckin' pansy fags, or straight dipshits

will1182:
Let me ask you, what would you have had him done? Tackle her? Forget that he's fat for a second. A fully grown man of normal size tackling a 100 pound girl at full speed would cause the same degree of injury, if not more so.

Negative. Tackling someone entails that you gain partial control of their motion, allowing you to steer where they will fall/land. Tasing someone means that will probably lose control of their body, leaving them to free fall. The fact that she was tased meant she was completely unable to use her arms to brace her fall, leading to the traumatic brain injury she suffered.

will1182:

GrandmaFunk:

will1182:
The fact is, this cop was only doing his job, and his actions fell well within established protocol.

actually, that's not the fact.

the established protocol for his dept clearly states not to tase someone in handcuffs and not to tase someone that's fleeing.

Do you have a source on that? If that's the case, then I apologize and take it back, but I still think his actions were warranted and that he shouldn't be punished.

I will provide a quote from the Florida Highway Partol

It also notes that Tasers shouldn't be used on someone who is handcuffed, but says there still could be times when even that is justifiable.

- my source

Upon the issue of "justification," Lorie Frindell, an associate criminology professor, noted that officers should consider the severity of the offense, the suspect's threat level and the risk of serious injury to the suspect, as well as the fact a suspect is fleeing.

I'm amazed I haven't seen other people note that Officer Cole handcuffed the women with her arms in the front. Huge fail there.

My take on the situation, for those caring to listen, is that Danielle Maudsley wasn't the brightest bulb out there before her traumatic head injury*; however, I'd expect a huge civil case being brought against the Florida Highway Patrol. If I was a lawyer, I'd be salivating over the prospects of representing the Maudsley's as they sue for millions of dollars in damages.

* - I checked out her Facebook, to get some idea of what kind of person she is.

Blablahb:
How could he be cleared of all wrongdoings when he used a weapon on a cuffed person, whom he should just have run after?

Yes, he is an obese slob unfit for police duty, who should be sacked for being too fat, and he could never catch anyone running away from him because he chooses to overeat heavily, and if he hadn't used the weapon, she would have escaped, but that doesn't excuse the excessive use of weapons. If he chooses to be obese and can't catch someone, and the police allow that kind of disfunctional police officers to work, the consequence should be people getting away, and not people getting shot or tased because the police is too fat to run after them.

Normally for such a fall I'd say it is an unfortunate but unintentional consequence that shouldn't be met with punishment, but in this case the fattie knew she couldn't catch herself, and still made the decision to do that to her, thus the brain injury becomes his direct fault.

He got away unpunished with manslaughter here.

Rednog:
No real sympathy, a bunch of priors and coke/oxycontin in her system and running from the cops.
Comply with the damn cops and don't complain that you get hurt when you resist arrest.

So let me get this straight: You say that if somebody takes a step, that legitimises murdering them?

It is in the report the the girl was fucked-up on coke and had committed hit and run twice she murdered two people by that logic. I think she did something a bit worse. Though I may be wrong.

Chevalier noir:

deathninja:
So, LEO goes for less-lethal option, gets pilloried for it?

Even if you take a riot cop in his/her prime, a one on one subjugation doesn't end in hugs and puppies. Tasers have risks, but far less than a 9mm hole in your skull, I'd call it a reasonable call on a fleeing suspect.

Not that I would have liked her to faceplannt and all, but that's always a risk.

"The taser was fine because the cop didn't shoot her."

This is full stop the dumbest thing getting repeated in this thread. Not only does it imply that what was done here was justified according to police code of conduct, the law or common sense but also that it was fine because its a step up from the worst possible response to this?

Again, the cop tasered a suspect and this is ok because he didn't kill her instead. Just...wow...are some of you aware that suspects are innocent until proven guilty? Or does this fantasy martial police state some of you occupy not work that way? Judge Dread would be proud of due process like that.

Police are trained to respond to situations with as little violence as possible. Pulling a taser on a cuffed fleeing suspect is a very big breach of his code of conduct. It was flat out the wrong thing to do. The first thing hammered into your head when taught about sidearms is when it is never ok to use them.

The proper response should have been to physically subdue the suspect. That is how they are trained, those are the rules. He broke them, end of story.

And 200+ pounds tackling a 130lb woman is going to leave her just fine? Either way the perp gets hurt, no-one can predict the exact outcome.

FYI...once I got smashed in the face by a cop, for defending another cop. Things get real heated, real fast in the real world, yes it's sometimes over the top, but try and see yourself in their shoes for a wile, it's not pretty.

(I better clarify at this point my dad was in the 'Met, I grew up with that background and ended up at a Uni in a f*cking rough area, YMMV.)

Blablahb:

Rednog:
I'm sorry, what?
Take a step?
Yea, a full out escape/run from police station is not a step.

Please answer the question, yes or no is sufficient. Is murder justified?

It's not murder, silly. It's manslaughter at worst if she dies. I hope she does. Trash is what she is. Waste of space and tax payer money.

Blablahb:
Of which the consequence should've been that the suspect was able to run away. The fault of the police for allowing people to work who are uncapable of working.

Based on your dumb logic a good athlete would be allowed to commit crimes because he can run away fast enough...

Scars Unseen:

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

Do you know a 100% safe way to stop a fleeing person that is 1/2 your size? One way or another she was hitting pavement in this situation. Concrete and asphalt are notoriously unforgiving substances.

Uh, forgive me if I seem naive, but are you really saying the cop only had to options, taze or dump tackle?

I mean, she was an awful lot smaller than him, couldn't he of just grabbed her? Just reached out, grabbed her arm, restrained her body and put her in the police car?

Or heck, if he couldn't do that, couldn't he of just tailed her and radioded for back-up, so that they could corner her and take her into custody? I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do in Britain (if they couldn't catch her), since regular cops don't have tasers here.

Usually I side with the cops because more often than not they do right, but in this case this guy is just fucking stupid. A girl who is maybe half his size and literally zero threat runs, and fucking tazes her rather than just grabbing her. Good fucking move.

Blablahb:
He got away unpunished with manslaughter here.

Rednog:
No real sympathy, a bunch of priors and coke/oxycontin in her system and running from the cops.
Comply with the damn cops and don't complain that you get hurt when you resist arrest.

So let me get this straight: You say that if somebody takes a step, that legitimises murdering them?

Somebody call the hyperbole police! She WAS able to move after he tased her, and she wasn't exactly innocent- not only was she on drugs, but she had a bunch of prior arrests. The cop was fully within his rights to subdue a fleeing suspect using nonlethal weapons. Unfortunate accidents happen. The cop is not evil just because the choice SHE made to resist arrest had dire consequences. It's sad, but not entirely undeserved.

well, yeah, he should have just grabbed her... but i prooobably would've done the same thing he did.

soooooo.

yeaaaaaaah.

It's really quite clear, isn't it?

Hayslett said Cole violated FHP's taser policy which states:

"Fleeing cannot be the sole reason for the deployment."

"When you shoot someone in the back, and they're running away, all that force - as you saw when Danielle's head hit the concrete - that's why they don't allow you to do that, because you can have horrible tragedies like this," Hayslett said.

You can't taser someone that's fleeing because you're putting his life in danger. It doesn't matter if she's a suspect, I wouldn't wish brain injuries on anyone, especially if some obese incompetent cop can't do his job properly.

Girl was handcuffed for 2 Hit and Run's. Girl tries to run away from cop, gets Tasered. Girl suffers brain damage

Girl did something Wrong twice, she needs to accept the consequences of her actions. The cop could have used a different method of capture, but either way she got hurt.

When a person pokes a bear and gets mauled to death. do you blame the Bear or the Idiot who poked it?

she and her mother needs to learn what Consequences for there actions are

for people saying he was not in the wrong because he was cleared of wrong doing.... this was in america, he could have pumped 20 bullets into her head, took a piss on her body and rape her corpse and still be cleared of any wrong doing just because hes a cop.

he clearly used a taser in a situation in which a taser is not suppose to be used and can be overly dangerous, its his fault she is basically dead.

Fleischer:

I'm amazed I haven't seen other people note that Officer Cole handcuffed the women with her arms in the front. Huge fail there.

no..

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/383311/Exclusive:-Trooper-defends-tasing-new-video-shows-suspect-out-of-handcuffs.html

he DID cuff her behind properly and she slipped them around (not very hard)...

Aris Khandr:
I can't really feel too bad for her. It takes a special kind of stupid to run from the police AFTER you're already handcuffed. And it really isn't their job to run you down if you run. If I had the tool to stop you from running right now, rather than continuing to chase you for however long, I'd do it too.

Yeah, we should totally kill those people! I don't know what everyone is up in arms about?

Trezu:
Girl was handcuffed for 2 Hit and Run's. Girl tries to run away from cop, gets Tasered. Girl suffers brain damage

Girl did something Wrong twice, she needs to accept the consequences of her actions. The cop could have used a different method of capture, but either way she got hurt.

When a person pokes a bear and gets mauled to death. do you blame the Bear or the Idiot who poked it?

she and her mother needs to learn what Consequences for there actions are

Yeah, but she didn't poke a bear, she "poked" a person, with a brain capable of free thought, who was being paid to uphold justice and protect the citizens of the United States. This person reacted to this "poke" by doing something they were expressely forbidden from doing, as the kind person above you so clearly points out.

You don't blame the bear in your scenario because the bear is an animal that cannot be expected to act in any way other than mauling potential threats. Humans aren't bears.

And what the girl actually did wrong in no way justifies the cop's actions, because a single officer making a decision on the fly is not comparable to a court of law, which is one of the few institutions (if not the only institution) officially allowed to dish out punishment based on action. It isn't the officer's job to judge the people they are bringing in (this paragraph is basically aimed at everyone saying she deserved it, it was just handy to tack it onto here).

orangeban:

Scars Unseen:

Zachary Amaranth:

Uh, forgive me if I seem naive, but are you really saying the cop only had to options, taze or dump tackle?

I mean, she was an awful lot smaller than him, couldn't he of just grabbed her? Just reached out, grabbed her arm, restrained her body and put her in the police car?

Or heck, if he couldn't do that, couldn't he of just tailed her and radioded for back-up, so that they could corner her and take her into custody? I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do in Britain (if they couldn't catch her), since regular cops don't have tasers here.

she was at a highway patrol station.
He was filling out paperwork before transfering her to jail.
the 'sign the dotted line' stuff.

as such she was cuffed with her hands infront of her.

Suddenly, She bolted Out the door of the police station and tried to escape.

The highway patrol station is adjacent to a high volume Highway which, at that time of day, would be busy. it is clear her intent was to run across, as the cop probably wouldn't follow her into dangerious traffic.

so the only option the officer has at that point in time is to Stop her before she harms herself or Others. (at 70 mph, a 100 lbs girl leaves quiet a dent...)

And 'just grab her' isn't really an option.
Have you tried 'just grabbing' some one running from you?
let me tell you, it is Near Impossible.

Oh my, I don't think I've ever seen such callous disregard for human life. This... thing, masquerading as a woman, took mind-altering substances, got into a mobile two-ton steel box, and recklessly endangered the lives of countless innocent human beings.

Then, she actually physically damaged two HUMAN BEINGS, who she very well could have killed with her two-ton steel box.

After all that, she is finally, for the most part, subdued, (in cuffs, in the precinct) and still decides to make a run for it.

Tazered, falls and whacks her head. And you, you are going to say that this beast deserves our pity? How dare you.

A crazed horse that tramples its rider doesn't know any better. A dog with rabies is out of its mind. A human being who deliberately disregards reason, and all respect for the well-being of other humans who have done NOTHING to threaten her, takes some mind-altering substances, and deliberately threatens the lives of others, loses ALL RIGHTS attributed to humans.

When you willfully abandon that very faculty that defines us as human beings, our abstract thought and ability to reason, you abandon your humanity, and all the protective rights that status confers.

How dare you people cheapen the lives of all those this monster threatened with her reckless behavior. This is not the behavior of a human being. A human being wouldn't act this way. This is the way a monster behaves, and monsters get put down. I'm sorry she lived to be a drain on whatever insurance is supporting her, and to occupy space that a human being could be using to receive care. I'm also genuinely ashamed of the majority (but not all) of the responses on this thread.

Let me ask you something. If it had been your son or daughter that she had hit with her car, what would you think then? How about if it had been your mother? Would you still say the officer was wrong?

Are you only thinking it's a tragedy because the people she hit are alright? What if she had killed one of them? Or both? Pity the people who were wounded. Pity the people who were terrified for their lives. Pity the officer who will face a hailstorm of hate and malcontent. But do not pity the monster that made the conscious decision of its own free will, to abandon all reason and responsibility, and actively endanger the lives of other human beings.

If you claim to hold life in such high regard, then please don't cheapen it by saying that this creature deserved to live. Life is something you earn, you fight for it every day, and as a member of the human race, one does not decide, "I'm going to go out today and just endanger the lives of everyone around me." That is not the way a human being thinks. That is thought process of a monster.

Can I guess the rest of this story? It is either "and the cop received no punishment" or "cop was celebrated as hero for not killing her".

Too much stupid in the world, a lot seems to come from America but every country has it ... America just puts out more content so they get a lot of stick for it. Get a lot less if they realized guns = bad.

Should have chased her, not been a lazy fuck. If you agree with his decision don't be a cop, if you believe she should have been shot leave America, please.

Should he be punished for this no, should he be made an example for his somewhat thoughtless action, Yes.

reonhato:
for people saying he was not in the wrong because he was cleared of wrong doing.... this was in america, he could have pumped 20 bullets into her head, took a piss on her body and rape her corpse and still be cleared of any wrong doing just because hes a cop.

he clearly used a taser in a situation in which a taser is not suppose to be used and can be overly dangerous, its his fault she is basically dead.

His fault? Really? So it's his fault she made a series of poor life choices and decided to do drugs then get behind the wheel of a car on drugs and with a suspended license, an action I may add which endangered countless innocent motorists. I guess it's also his fault she then slammed into a few random cars, once again while high and having no license? Then I guess it has to also be his fault she made the decision to try and run after she had been arrested and cuffed?

She could have prevented this from happening at one of any number of points in time but each time she had the opportunity to prevent things from spiraling into a worse situation SHE repeatedly chose to escalate the situation. The officer was just doing his job. Had she not made the choices she made he would have never entered into the scenario. I can pretty much guess that this officer wasn't out there hunting down drug addicts to tase for the hell of it.

The bottom line in all this is that if you are going to be a criminal and do drugs and endanger innocent people then you deserve every ounce of blame when you put yourself in a situation with the cops that turns ugly. What happened was/is a direct result of her actions and as such she has only her self to blame for how things turned out.

Seneschal:

"When you shoot someone in the back, and they're running away, all that force - as you saw when Danielle's head hit the concrete - that's why they don't allow you to do that, because you can have horrible tragedies like this," Hayslett said.

You can't taser someone that's fleeing because you're putting his life in danger. It doesn't matter if she's a suspect, I wouldn't wish brain injuries on anyone, especially if some obese incompetent cop can't do his job properly.

the entire policy is:
-Except in extreme circumstances, Tasers cannot be used on passive subjects, people in handcuffs, children, the elderly, pregnant women, the disabled, someone driving or riding a bicycle or inside an elementary school.

A person trying to escape from custody with the intention of running across heavy traffic with fore-knowledge that said individual is capable of removing said cuffs at will, even to the point that said individual manipulated the cuffs so that they where infront of her during her attempted escape might be an 'extreme circumstance'...

Blablahb:

Liquidacid23:
as so I take it you are in the law enforcement field in the same department as he is and have those protocols at hand? I mean if not then you are just making it up and would look silly

Because all official rules, such as to name an example "All Jews must be exterminated", are always automatically correct and above discussion? Would you also defend the Rodney King beating as being totally justified?

That the police made a rule saying "If someone runs, murder them, it's fine", doesn't make it right.

That....is the single worst argument I have ever heard in a very long time. You compared "tazing someone who runs" to GENOCIDE. I don't even need an argument. You discredited yourself enough with that absolutely hilarious hyperbole.

Fleischer:

I was going to post that

Liquidacid23:

no..

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/383311/Exclusive:-Trooper-defends-tasing-new-video-shows-suspect-out-of-handcuffs.html

he DID cuff her behind properly and she slipped them around (not very hard)...

but instead let me just ask you - if you managed to read everybody's posts, why didn't you see that article that must have been linked to probably half a dozen times by now?

Shumiry:
Oh my, I don't think I've ever seen such callous disregard for human life. This... thing, masquerading as a woman, took mind-altering substances, got into a mobile two-ton steel box, and recklessly endangered the lives of countless innocent human beings.

Then, she actually physically damaged two HUMAN BEINGS, who she very well could have killed with her two-ton steel box.

After all that, she is finally, for the most part, subdued, (in cuffs, in the precinct) and still decides to make a run for it.

Tazered, falls and whacks her head. And you, you are going to say that this beast deserves our pity? How dare you.

A crazed horse that tramples its rider doesn't know any better. A dog with rabies is out of its mind. A human being who deliberately disregards reason, and all respect for the well-being of other humans who have done NOTHING to threaten her, takes some mind-altering substances, and deliberately threatens the lives of others, loses ALL RIGHTS attributed to humans.

When you willfully abandon that very faculty that defines us as human beings, our abstract thought and ability to reason, you abandon your humanity, and all the protective rights that status confers.

How dare you people cheapen the lives of all those this monster threatened with her reckless behavior. This is not the behavior of a human being. A human being wouldn't act this way. This is the way a monster behaves, and monsters get put down. I'm sorry she lived to be a drain on whatever insurance is supporting her, and to occupy space that a human being could be using to receive care. I'm also genuinely ashamed of the majority (but not all) of the responses on this thread.

Let me ask you something. If it had been your son or daughter that she had hit with her car, what would you think then? How about if it had been your mother? Would you still say the officer was wrong?

Are you only thinking it's a tragedy because the people she hit are alright? What if she had killed one of them? Or both? Pity the people who were wounded. Pity the people who were terrified for their lives. Pity the officer who will face a hailstorm of hate and malcontent. But do not pity the monster that made the conscious decision of its own free will, to abandon all reason and responsibility, and actively endanger the lives of other human beings.

If you claim to hold life in such high regard, then please don't cheapen it by saying that this creature deserved to live. Life is something you earn, you fight for it every day, and as a member of the human race, one does not decide, "I'm going to go out today and just endanger the lives of everyone around me." That is not the way a human being thinks. That is thought process of a monster.

Is this a troll? I have to assume it is, but I'll give it credit and say it's a pretty good troll. Nice prose.

If it isn't a troll, well, I already said something along these lines a few posts up, but basically, we don't pay cops to dish out punishment based on criminal's actions. That's what we have legal courts for. No matter what the girl did wrong, it wasn't the cop's place to punish her for those wrong-doings, and her crimes do not justify the cop's actions. This would be true if she were a serial killer, jaywalker or, indeed, hit-and-runner.

Blablahb:
Observing the fact that he's chosen to be obese is ignorant? How? It's an observation. He's either fat, or not. Considering he's clearly very fat in the video in the news also reports the same, I'd say I'm right here.

More judgmental than ignorant.
The fact you said called him fat over 9 times on the first page, including a "fattie" comment which is literally making fun of him, is sad.

No, pathetic. Really.
You can prove your point without being a dick.

EDIT: Also just noticed "fat slob."

Seneschal:

Sorry, you are quoting the lawyer who is placing the lawsuit as an authoritative source? LMAO

omega 616:
Can I guess the rest of this story? It is either "and the cop received no punishment" or "cop was celebrated as hero for not killing her".

Too much stupid in the world, a lot seems to come from America but every country has it ... America just puts out more content so they get a lot of stick for it. Get a lot less if they realized guns = bad.

Should have chased her, not been a lazy fuck. If you agree with his decision don't be a cop, if you believe she should have been shot leave America, please.

You're more then welcome to follow her into a busy 6 lane highway with cars traveling in excess of 60 mph which is acctually 20 feet to the left of the dash screen (the direction she was running).

Because you know, a Highway Patrol Substation would kinda be... next to the Highway.

But by all means... Chase her.
because clearly endangering the lives of that individual, yourself, and countless innocents that are mearly driving by is the better option then using a TASER...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked