Cop Tasers Fleeing Handcuffed Girl, Head injuries put her in vegetative state

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

MammothBlade:

Jonluw:
Yeah, using the taser was unnecessary.
However, I can't feel bad for her, as she was clearly already sufficiently brain damaged to try to run from a cop after being handcuffed.

Let's replace cop with mugger. That change something? People do stupid, irrational things when they're scared. Doesn't matter who you're running from, the fight or flight response kicks in.

That police officer was a coward, she posed no public danger running away handcuffed and was clearly in grabbing range. His conduct after says it all. Instead of checking to see if she was ok, he told her to lie down - potentially worsening her obvious head injury.

Replacing a cop with a mugger in this situation is just plain stupid. If it would be a mugger the person running would be just an innocent person (I would assume) whom was being mugged. This is a person who has committed crimes so the police are attempting to save any other possible victims of a future crime by arresting her.

I almost laughed at the cops utter laziness. He seriously just strolled behind her, bastard could have broken into a jog and caught her. What is with police and them not being able to do their fucking jobs?!

psijac:

omega 616:
A criminal is still a person and should be treated as such, not "you did bad thing now pay!". The entire country isn't "obey the law or have the snot beaten into you then charged".

Rules and regulations are there to make sure justice is served no vengeance then justice. It is cops duty to protect and serve people not protect only the good and serve ass whoopings to anybody who steps out of line.

If they step out of line warn them and if they run chase them and capture safely again, minimize accidents ... especially in a country where suing people is a constant thing that happens over every little thing.

I do sometimes think UK police are a little too soft but I rarely see American cops be anything but severe.

The cop could not have foreseen the extent of injures a taser caused the girl. A cook serves peanuts to a diner who is allergic but the diner never informed the cook. Is the cook now a sadistic murderer?

She was involved in two crash crashes where she fled the scene of the accident, with out exchanging insurance information or even stopping to check if the other parties had any injures. She was also high on drugs. How many warning do you give this person? What happens if she got into another car and killed someone? I guess we have to forgive her and let her off with another warning cause at the end of the day she is still a person

He knew full well that the taser would take her down. That's why he used it. And she couldn't use her arms to break the fall, so how exactly is he excused for not realising this?

It wasn't a choice between 'tase' and 'let go'. It was a choice between 'shoot', 'tase', or 'capture'. He chose tase 'cause he's a fat bastard.

And anybody who says that she deserved it for being stupid...well. I thought we had come past that.

Ehh, the scumbag deserved it.

she ran she got tased. At least he didn't shoot her. the cop did his job. it only would have been wrong if he continued to use force once she was down.

I wish i hadn't watched that.

She is running in fear, what the fuck did these police do to her before this camera was recording? I dread to think.

jcb1337:

Clive Howlitzer:
And what is the issue here? Tasers are for zapping fleeing suspects. She shouldn't run away from police, especially after being arrested already.

It's a "justified use of force" issue. Yes, a tazer is used to incapacitate a fleeing suspect, but one also has to consider the dangers involve, the threat level of the suspect, and if a safer means of capture can be utilized.

However, I agree with you. The girl shouldn't of run and it is at fault. But the other side also poses a valid, truthful point; the officer should have consider the dangers of using the tazer in that particular situation.

Right but this is mostly just an unfortunate accident. Someone could just as easily be injured severely being assisted to the ground by police after a chase. I can't speak for all police officers but I know my officers always weigh everything before making a decision, based on the protocol we have in place. Sometimes accidents happen. I don't see why everyone makes a villain out of the police, or the girl. It was just an accident.

Mauso88:
She is running in fear, what the fuck did these police do to her before this camera was recording? I dread to think.

She was running from the police station and they were filling in paperwork. Furthermore, she did resist arrest and slip out of he handcuffs twice before.

No, the police didn't call the Inquisition to chat with her, she was just prone to running away in the first place.

I don't know how you got that she was running in fear. Which part of the approximately one second before being tased gave it away?

Mauso88:

Once you're actually in a station, and they start piling on charges, tell you whats going to happen and what you can get, its not uncommon for a first reaction to be to run. hell, even when they arrest you and tell you freeze one of your first thoughts is to run.

Blablahb:

Hero in a half shell:
That was nothing like the situation in the video.

It's exactly the same. It's violence against someone who is not a threat, out of lazyness.

Hero in a half shell:
The police officer was unfit to catch her

Of which the consequence should've been that the suspect was able to run away. The fault of the police for allowing people to work who are uncapable of working.

That the policeman chooses to be obese and the police force tolerates disfunctional employees is a poor excuse for the use of deadly violence against peacefull people.

You treat it like someone running away is a crime on par with genocide at least, but it's little more than how the game is played. Criminals break the law and attempt to evade capture, policemen try to enforce the law and arrest criminals with minimal force.

Killing someone because one is too lazy to run two steps is more like maximal force.

Kendarik:
As for the "fat slob" comments, that's just ignorant.

Observing the fact that he's chosen to be obese is ignorant? How? It's an observation. He's either fat, or not. Considering he's clearly very fat in the video in the news also reports the same, I'd say I'm right here.

She's in a vegetative state, not dead. Also, this was an accident because the officer did not intend at all to kill her, just subdue her. Your "aggressive cop" nonsense is just that, nonsense unless of course he meant to somehow kill her with a taser and expected her to get brain damage from the fall. He would have tackled her if he wasn't overweight either but he didn't want to hurt her so he tased.

Lazy cop much, she was two feet from him. If he had of put the slightest amount of effort in she would have been stopped without being hurt. Even if she had started to get away, he could've waited like 3 seconds before she got onto grass and would've had a softer landing.

Even if she wasn't handcuffed she wouldn't of been able to catch her fall after being tasered. You're body locks up and you hit the ground full force regardless.

Wait...wait...wait.

A drugged up girl has been involved in hit and runs, gotten out of her handcuffs, resisted arrest and attempted to flee from the police and she's the good guy in all this?

Someone wanna explain this to me?

USSR:
More judgmental than ignorant.
The fact you said called him fat over 9 times on the first page, including a "fattie" comment which is literally making fun of him, is sad.

So, you're the expert, you tell me: How do we call a guy who eats and eats and neglects himself for years untill he is obese, and then actually kills someone out of utter lazyness and because he's so fat?

I can think of worse accurate charactisations for Daniel Cole. Like murderer, because he's got blood on his hands and even had the nerve to tell the media he would kill another unarmed person wearing handcuffs if he was given the chance. That's right, he's expressed a desire to murder, and is still working for the police.

Angry Juju:
He didn't murder her, And her slamming her head into the floor wasn't his intentions.

Which is why he should be convicted of manslaughter, but not murder.

gof22:
How is running the only logical choice?

The alternative is spending a good part of your life in prison under bad or barbaric conditions. Obviously a short run towards freedom makes sense in that situation.

Abandon4093:
For one thing, the cop didn't kill her.

He conciously made the decision to inflict grave bodily harm (because he's been told what tasers do at training) and someone is braindead as a result. He killed her. It's clearly manslaughter.

Final First:
Actually the only logical choice is to not break the law, thus it's her fault.

So basically you're saying every criminal from a shoplifter to a fraudster should be summarily executed without a trial, because after all, they broke the law?

Reconsider.

Final First:
She's in a vegetative state, not dead.

Braindead, thus dead.

Final First:
Also, this was an accident because the officer did not intend at all to kill her, just subdue her.

Which is why he is guilty of manslaughter, but not murder.

anthony87:

Said girl was wearing handcuffs and in the yard of a bloody police station, when an obese fat slob decided he'd rather tase her while he knew she'd fall and hit her head, than run maybe ten metres.

People tend to get pissed off if you kill someone out of sheer lazyness.

You wanna know the big fucking joke from the article? The police officer tazed her because he was afraid of the damage that could be done by slamming 267 pounds of human being into her and tackling her to the asphalt. Yup.
I find it hard to demonize the officer on this one too much. I wouldn't be calling him a monster if he had tackled her and the same thing had happened. A tazer does not represent a higher lethal force than a body smash. I would only be upset if he had shot her.
Also, she is clearly not handcuffed in the video, the article even admits she slipped out of her cuffs, so that is not even really relevant.

Blablahb:

USSR:
More judgmental than ignorant.
The fact you said called him fat over 9 times on the first page, including a "fattie" comment which is literally making fun of him, is sad.

So, you're the expert, you tell me: How do we call a guy who eats and eats and neglects himself for years untill he is obese, and then actually kills someone out of utter lazyness and because he's so fat?

I can think of worse accurate charactisations for Daniel Cole. Like murderer, because he's got blood on his hands and even had the nerve to tell the media he would kill another unarmed person wearing handcuffs if he was given the chance. That's right, he's expressed a desire to murder, and is still working for the police.

Angry Juju:
He didn't murder her, And her slamming her head into the floor wasn't his intentions.

Which is why he should be convicted of manslaughter, but not murder.

gof22:
How is running the only logical choice?

The alternative is spending a good part of your life in prison under bad or barbaric conditions. Obviously a short run towards freedom makes sense in that situation.

Abandon4093:
For one thing, the cop didn't kill her.

He conciously made the decision to inflict grave bodily harm (because he's been told what tasers do at training) and someone is braindead as a result. He killed her. It's clearly manslaughter.

Final First:
Actually the only logical choice is to not break the law, thus it's her fault.

So basically you're saying every criminal from a shoplifter to a fraudster should be summarily executed without a trial, because after all, they broke the law?

Reconsider.

Final First:
She's in a vegetative state, not dead.

Braindead, thus dead.

Final First:
Also, this was an accident because the officer did not intend at all to kill her, just subdue her.

Which is why he is guilty of manslaughter, but not murder.

I don't know about the punishments of manslaughter honestly but in my opinion one should not be punished for it unless they've been a dumbass doing something like pointing a known-to-be-loaded gun at someone for fun and accidentally pulling the trigger (which happened to a friend of a relative of mine).

Also, why do you think I believe that one should be executed even for minor crimes just because I said that if you break the law you get whats coming for you (paraphrasing myself of course). How does one make that connection? I would see how you did that if she was executed for her crimes, but this was an ACCIDENT. If he actually hoped she would hit her head on the ground and get a brain injury or be killed then he should be punished for it but he DIDN'T. At least there's no evidence to back it up yet.

She was clearly sobbing after she was tazed and fell. My money's on the vegetative state setting in due as much to the drugs in her system as the fall. Meh, can't blame the cop, that kind of stupidity gets those results one way or the other.

sketch_zeppelin:
she ran she got tased. At least he didn't shoot her. the cop did his job. it only would have been wrong if he continued to use force once she was down.

They are not supposed to tase if they are running or are wearing handcuffs because things like this happen. The cop did not do his job, his job being to protect people, there was no danger of the girl harming anyone else. There is such a thing as excessive force, if some kid bites my hand am I allowed to bring a sledgehammer down on their head? But they may bite again? They are a danger to other people and myself? It is about equal to what is happening here but somehow the cop is above the law when it comes to seriously harming people because they decided it was the easiest option. How about if it were your dad? Maybe he was drinking at the pub with some mates and some guy came up and started a brawl with him and the police arrest both of them and he tries to run back inside to tell his friends to phone you but the cops tase him and now he is a vegetable. How exactly is that just?

Final First:
but this was an ACCIDENT. If he actually hoped she would hit her head on the ground and get a brain injury or be killed then he should be punished for it but he DIDN'T. At least there's no evidence to back it up yet.

Manslaughter is murder without intent basically. The drunk-driver didn't intend to kill anyone but their actions put them at fault. An accident would be someone doing avalanche removal and another person disobeying the signs the put up and dying. They did everything required of them so it is not their fault. The officer did not, they are not supposed to tase running or handcuffed people. They are at fault because of their actions which have caused this girl great harm.

Even though there are plenty of taser accidents, I still find them much better than a gun. This wasn't an abuse of force or the cop being an ass, at most it was a violation of protocol and at least an unfortunate accident. Do you know how hard it is to grab someone running? If you don't have fingers of steel people can easily break out of your grip. I can also see him hesitating to preform a full body tackle on a small woman. There probably was a better option, but if you're chasing down a fleeing criminal you don't exactly have a ton of time to think.

Quoting from the vid description:

In this situation, Maudsley ... removed one of her handcuffs while in the back of Cole's patrol car, and moved her handcuffs from behind her back, to in front of her body, as she attempted to flee the FHP Station. In addition, Maudsley was running towards US Highway 19 which is a high volume road."

According to the report, Maudsley had oxycodone and cocaine in her system at the time.

She was in a position to cause serious harm on others. He shouldn't have relied on the taser at point-blank range, but when you're dealing with a volatile suspect, you gotta do what you gotta do.

They caught her on drug and hit-and-run charges. I don't feel too sorry for her.

Wow, the thread suddenly got a few pages longer.

I haven't read it all, so apologies if it's been mentioned before (and apologies for being generally terrible), but does anyone else have a certain song by Afroman stuck in their heads now?

Blablahb:

No, you seem to be the expert.
You know this guy.
You know his family history.
You know his genetics.
You know he couldn't possibly be fat for any other reason than laziness and overeating.
You know every little detail about him, apparently.

We get that you know he is fat.
The fact that you state it abundantly, with means to make fun of him which pertains nothing to this topic, is still sad. And pathetic.

Phisi:

sketch_zeppelin:

They are not supposed to tase if they are running or are wearing handcuffs because things like this happen. The cop did not do his job, his job being to protect people, there was no danger of the girl harming anyone else. There is such a thing as excessive force, if some kid bites my hand am I allowed to bring a sledgehammer down on their head? But they may bite again? They are a danger to other people and myself? It is about equal to what is happening here but somehow the cop is above the law when it comes to seriously harming people because they decided it was the easiest option. How about if it were your dad? Maybe he was drinking at the pub with some mates and some guy came up and started a brawl with him and the police arrest both of them and he tries to run back inside to tell his friends to phone you but the cops tase him and now he is a vegetable. How exactly is that just?

Those might be the worst examples in this thread. "OH, the cops are arresting me. What should I do? Oh, I know, I'll run away from them to tell my friends to phone my family because neither the police would do it, nor would they let me."

And how is a kid biting your hand even remotely equivalent to a grown person who has shown disregard to the law and the well being of both others and themselves? I doubt anyone biting your hand would pose much danger to you, much less a kid. A person who has harmed at least two people by slamming them with a couple of tons of steel, however, are a tad more potentially dangerous. Also, you bringing down a sledgehammer would be the intention to do much harm. The police officer might have not anticipated just how much he would hurt the girl. Sure, the cop shows stupidity and ignorant on their actions but the intention was not to seriously injure the other party.

thaluikhain:
I haven't read it all, so apologies if it's been mentioned before (and apologies for being generally terrible), but does anyone else have a certain song by Afroman stuck in their heads now?

Not until you brought it up. Damn, now I won't stop thinking about it.

Phisi:

sketch_zeppelin:

The girl ran from the cop. The cop brought her down using non leathal force. He wasn't trying to get her to smack her head on the pavment. Had she not run it wouldn't have happend. The way i see it, at the very least, she is just as responsible for her injuries as the cop.

As for his job being to protect people. At that moment when she ran his job was to protect the public from her. Running from the cops is a crime. He was protecting us by stopping her from fleeing.

I don't know what the letter of the law is when it comes to cops using tasers on a fleeing suspect but if you run from the cops your basically taking your life into your own hands. How is this anymore wrong than say a suspect fleeing in a car, the cops run him off the road and he crashes and dies? In either case if they whould have come along peacefully then they wouldn't have been hurt. If it was a case where the suspect thought they were inocent then running is the worst thing they could have done.

oh and the running back inside to tell your friends whats going on when you've been arrested is one of the dumbest things you could fucking do. If your arrested your given a phone call. A cop isn't going to know that you were trying to tell your friends whats happening. he's going to assume that your fleeing because thats what all cops are trained to do.

ouch that's gotta hurt she should of known better to run away from a cop who has a taser, but it was her choice to run.

DoPo:
Sure, the cop shows stupidity and ignorant on their actions but the intention was not to seriously injure the other party.

That's probably little comfort, though.

In any case, then doesn't the question become whether or not the police officer should know better, and should he be accused of negligence, say, not malice?

DoPo:

thaluikhain:

Not until you brought it up. Damn, now I won't stop thinking about it.

I just came back in, wondering if I should edit my post before anyone saw it. Oh well.

USSR:

Blablahb:

No, you seem to be the expert.
You know this guy.
You know his family history.
You know his genetics.
You know he couldn't possibly be fat for any other reason than laziness and overeating.
You know every little detail about him, apparently.

We get that you know he is fat.
The fact that you state it abundantly, with means to make fun of him which pertains nothing to this topic, is still sad. And pathetic.

Ha. We can't call the cop fat or use stereotypes when talking about him, but of course we can on the woman. She was a lowlife so this is a fate she deserved? But she was just scum so its all good right? Just another scum off the streets right? This is how we should judge human life right? If someone breaks the law then they deserve any fate they get? If someone breaks the law they are scum and that's the end to it? If not, then why judge her life like that? Yes she was an idiot, but to say she deserved her fate based on who she is as a person is incredibly low.

Meh. Little fucking retard should not have run in the first place. You have to be damaged anyway to think thats a good idea.
Hope she enjoys the nice, tasty hospital windows.

Oh and considering that the link you provided starts off with:

"Regardless of the circumstances of this case, WAY too many cops are a bunch of fuckin' pansy fags, or straight dipshits, overreaching for their tasers for a variety of stupid reasons, including but not limited to, "I'm gay and I'm scared", "I personally don't like you cos you personally pissed me off", and "Tasing people is fun" (which it is, but you gotta be careful with this shit)."

Ima write it off as just another fucking cop hating loser who likes to rag on all police because he cant smoke weed in public.

anthony87:
Wait...wait...wait.

A drugged up girl has been involved in hit and runs, gotten out of her handcuffs, resisted arrest and attempted to flee from the police and she's the good guy in all this?

Gladly. The escapist is full of a large number of teenagers. Teenagers traditionally hate the police and resent any sort of authourity figure. They are also used to playing video games where the main character can run 100 miles a minute and punch a hole in the moon so think that were they in that situation they would easily be able to take on any situation from a fleeing girl to a thug with a conduit bender.

Long story short. Dumbass kids hate the police.

She was running from the police

So, she was already brain dead...

You crazy kids will hate on cops no matter what. Yeah, sometimes cops do dumb things, but this is a freak accident and it's 100% her fault.

End of story.

Still better than shooting her with a gun.

Until they create a non-lethal weapon that stuns the target AND surrounds them in a fluffy foam so they don't bang their precious little bodies on the pavement when they go down, you're just going to have to accept these little accidents.

thaluikhain:

DoPo:
Sure, the cop shows stupidity and ignorant on their actions but the intention was not to seriously injure the other party.

That's probably little comfort, though.

In any case, then doesn't the question become whether or not the police officer should know better, and should he be accused of negligence, say, not malice?

Yes, possibly. I'm not a legal expert, nor experienced in police protocol but for me at least, it seems possible.

I did link to a document I found online while looking for more information. For the benefit of people who don't want to flip through pages of text to find it (so everybody), here it is. It doesn't apply for that guy, as it's not about Florida, but it does bring up relevant points. Mainly, that tasers are dangerous but largely the police use of them is not regulated.

Giftfromme:

Ha. We can't call the cop fat or use stereotypes when talking about him, but of course we can on the woman. She was a lowlife so this is a fate she deserved? But she was just scum so its all good right? Just another scum off the streets right? This is how we should judge human life right? If someone breaks the law then they deserve any fate they get? If someone breaks the law they are scum and that's the end to it? If not, then why judge her life like that? Yes she was an idiot, but to say she deserved her fate based on who she is as a person is incredibly low.

I'm sorry, when did I call her scum?
I haven't given my opinion about her, only that this guy is being overly judgmental.

Edit: useless troll post. Delete and move on.

RaNDM G:
He shouldn't have relied on the taser at point-blank range, that much I can agree on. But when you run from the police, you're pretty much begging to get taken down.

They caught her on hit-and-run charges. I don't feel too sorry for her.

Charges doesn't mean a conviction. Police can charge anyone for anything if they think they have the evidence. How can you not feel sorry for someone who is seriously injured? Justice does not mean revenge.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked