Brush teeth before or after eating breakfast?
Before
18.8% (70)
18.8% (70)
After
67.6% (252)
67.6% (252)
Before AND After
2.7% (10)
2.7% (10)
Neither
10.2% (38)
10.2% (38)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Brush teeth before or after eating breakfast?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ok, this is a weird common sense question. Are you supposed to eat before brushing your teeth in the morning or brush your teeth before eating breakfast?
I've been raised to always brushed my teeth before eating. I have a friend whose family eats before brushing, but my dentist recently said that I should eat before brushing. I can see why this makes sense because your teeth get dirty when you eat so it would make sense to brush after eating to destroy all the plaque in one go. But a quick google search suggests that he is wrong because eating certain foods weakens the enamel and makes brushing actually harm your teeth.
Maybe I'm asking this to see people's habits.

Doesn't seem logical in my book.

If I have to jump into a pile of mud, I don't take a shower before I'm muddy, I take a show afterwards. So, doesn't make sense to clean your teeth if you're going to make them dirty a few minutes later.

meh I guess it depends on what you are eating but my dentist have always told me after...

unless you're British then I guess it's "neither of the above" :P

Dentists say you should actually brush after every meal

I brush my teeth after I had breakfast however I do know someone who does it before breakfast.

I find it weird doing it before breakfast seeing how tooth paste are usually minty flavour. What I'm getting at is the minty taste stay behind for a for minute after brushing so doing it before breakfast means you still get the minty taste and feel when you're eating! (How does that work if you're drinking orange?)

Yes I know there are non minty flavour tooth paste but I still find it weird.

I've read that you have to do it before, as OP pointed out, but by not being a dentist I don't know. I brush after, however - it cleans up everything.

Erm, or I would brush after, if I had breakfast more often. I usually go straight for lunch or at least a late breakfast.

My dentist says that if you're going to do it after, do it quite a bit after due to the softening of enamel caused by the acids in your food and drinks. Both my sisters go to different dentists from me and one another (and their kids go to yet *another* one) and this is the one thing they all seem to agree on!

I'm bad for brushing my teeth in the morning. I should do it more often because I can't actually remember the order I do it in <.<

Isn't it the overnight plaque what you're trying to get rid of?

There's no good answer. Orange juice isn't something you can happily drink after brushing, and brushing after drinking orange juice is bad for your teeth.

TheYellowCellPhone:
If I have to jump into a pile of mud, I don't take a shower before I'm muddy, I take a show afterwards. So, doesn't make sense to clean your teeth if you're going to make them dirty a few minutes later.

Jup, that's the most sensible answer.

Besides, why on Earth do I want my breakfast to taste like mint? And why would I want to spoil my fresh breath so quickly?

Ieyke:
There's no good answer. Orange juice isn't something you can happily drink after brushing, and brushing after drinking orange juice is bad for your teeth.

Only if you do it too soon.

Besides, save orange juice for the afternoons. Milk is where it's at.

I brush my teeth twice a day: once as soon as I get up and right before I go to bed.

The minty taste is usually gone by the time I eat in the morning, then I just use mouthwash after I eat breakfast. My dentist seems pretty happy with my routine.

I recently started brushing my teeth before breakfast, after hearing that it was the better option.

Always after, I don't want the taste of toothpaste in my food.

Both.

I'm fairly keen to get rid of the taste in my mouth when I wake up. I brush and/or mouthwash before I leave the house too...for society.

Assuming you brushed your teeth right before you went to bed and had nothing to eat after; what exactly are you brushing off, if you brush your teeth before you have breakfast?

It's literally the same thing as washing your clothes, putting them away. Then washing them again before you wear them.

I do it before but I shouldn't. I drink a Carnations instant breakfast on the way out, so I can't really brush after. And I like my routine, so no, I won't change it. I'm going to drink coffee anyway, deal with my breath.

I do it before and after, before because it's the very first thing I do when I wake up (the second is take a shower) and after because otherwise I'd have bad breath when going out and that's not nice at all, it just seems like the logical thing for me to do, because what if I ate a spider or something like that while I was asleep (eating spiders is a pretty common thing that happens when you are asleep, I don't want to alarm you but you've probably have done it already more than a couple of times), I'd definitely would prefer cleaning my mouth of that stuff before eating anything else.

I don't eat breakfast. I do occasionally brush my teeth in the morning after my shower though.

gyroc1:
But a quick google search suggests that he is wrong because eating certain foods weakens the enamel and makes brushing actually harm your teeth.

This is true actually. Some foods have various acids that weakens the enamel of your teeth. Brushing your teeth actually removes this weakened enamel. Imagine it like soaking your dishes before washing them vs trying to wash them before soaking.

TheYellowCellPhone:

The analogy doesn't quite fit the shower doesn't melt away the skin exposed to mud whereas brushing your teeth grinds away enamel weakened by eating (certain) food.

Maxtro:
Assuming you brushed your teeth right before you went to bed and had nothing to eat after; what exactly are you brushing off, if you brush your teeth before you have breakfast?

Saliva does many things in your mouth: It is the first step to digesting food, it moistens foods making them easier to swallow, it makes it so you can taste food, and it cleans your mouth. The mouth cleaning isn't just from various food particles, but it is also for various bacteria. At night when you are sleeping, your saliva production slows (if not stops). This allows bacteria to grow is your mouth, which is what causes your bad breath in the morning. So it isn't like washing your clothes before and after your wear them. It is more like washing your clothes, letting mold grow on them, then washing them before you wear them again.

Ieyke:

Third option: Mainline it.

I always brush my teeth after I have eaten. It's how I have always done it, and I don't my cereal and cup of tea to taste like mint.

I brush my teeth immediately after I get up, before breakfast. I usually don't eat for a while after I wake up though.

I brush my teeth before nomming breakfast. Of course, seeing as I don't normally have breakfast, I'm not particularly bothered.

Brush teeth and then one cup of coffee and then rinsing the mouth does the trick well enough.

I brush after eating, but I also rinse before brushing. Solves most of the "enamel weakening" problems. :P

I dont really eat breakfast, so yeah. The closest thing I have to breakfast is lunch, so I guess I brush my teeth before I eat that.

I do it afterwards.
Read in an article on Cracked however that you shouldn't brush your teeth within three hours(?) of eating something, since the acids make the teeth weaker. Causes them to take a lot of damage from the toothbrush.

After, as before makes no sense because you're cleaning your teeth then immediately making them dirty again...

I was told to brush before I eat breakfast, but to wait at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating. Brushing before is supposed to protect your teeth from the food you are about to eat. Or so I was told. Then again, after all that I just have a cup of carrot juice and a trail-mix bar. I don't particularly like orange juice. Then again depending on how much time I have, I've brushed afterwords a lot too. lol

Y'know, I have heard that thing about the acid weakening the enamel. Isn't there a toothpaste that can help counter that? If there is, than it makes more sense to brush after eating. If not, then... I dunno. No right answer, I suppose.

Personally, I brush before, but that is mostly because my bed and toothbrush are both upstairs, whereas my kitchen is downstairs. I am too lazy to walk back up to brush after breakfast, so I just do it before I go down.

God, I'm lazy.

New poll: Wipe you ass before or after you shit?

I think that about sums up my answer to the poll.

I brush my teeth after every meal or beverage other than plain drinking water. Depending on how long I plan to wait to eat breakfast, I sometimes brush before as well as after.

There can be some negative effects of brushing this often with normal colgate, crest, etc toothpastes, so to brush that often you should talk to your dentist about using appropriate toothpaste.

Like HELL I'm leaving eggs, onions and garlic in my teeth before I go out in public. I brush afterwards.

I was taught to brush before the breakfast. It is supposed to pre-emptively protect you teeth before they get attacked by evil food demons or something. Like casting a shield spell in rpg.

TheYellowCellPhone:

The analogy works better if the mud is actually a water and soap activated acid and washing afterwards burned off all your skin because that's sort've what happens if you brush your teeth AFTER eating. If you don't want food in your teeth floss after eating and swish some mouthwash.

After, it just makes sense.

My ex used to brush before having breakfast, which for him usually consisted of a very sugary cup of coffee. And he only brushed in the morning. And then bemoaned the fact that he was constantly getting cavities.

I brush before I eat in the mornings; it helps to get rid of the germs and other things that accumulate overnight (I wake up with a pretty bad case of morning breath sometimes). I'd like those off of my teeth and tongue before I eat anything.

After.

Just seems wierd to wipe your ass then take a shit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked