Brush teeth before or after eating breakfast?
Before
18.8% (70)
18.8% (70)
After
67.3% (251)
67.3% (251)
Before AND After
2.7% (10)
2.7% (10)
Neither
10.2% (38)
10.2% (38)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Brush teeth before or after eating breakfast?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I brush after, never did get the point of brushing before, doesn't make much sense =/ unless you don't actually eat breakfast, in which case in doesn't matter. I will say one thing, if you go out on a night time and get completely sloshed, I urge you to try brush your teeth before falling asleep. Waking up to a scuzzy mouth is almost as bad as the hangover.

Liquidacid23:
meh I guess it depends on what you are eating but my dentist have always told me after...

unless you're British then I guess it's "neither of the above" :P

I'm surprised you didn't ask "Which breakfast?", American. :D

On Topic: Depends on what time I wake up, what I'm doing that day and how lazy I am. I brush my teeth every morning but if I'm up at 6:30am and out by 8am I'll brush after; if I'm up later and not out until much later or at all - I brush my teeth immediately then eat my breakfast any time later that morning.

Clean teeth, shower, breakfast, perhaps floss (much more important than brushing) again if there's a particularly stuck piece of food, onwards. Never use mouthwash, 'tis a gimmick. Mother is a dental hygienist.

Don't understand the 'wipe ass, then defecate logic'. If your faeces left your sphincter in a state whereby wiping would wear it away I'd be hesitant.

EDIT: the bird dropping on the car is perhaps a more apt one, since the ammonia in that can damage the paint, and being too vigorous while removing it even more so.

Scarim Coral:
I brush my teeth after I had breakfast however I do know someone who does it before breakfast.

I find it weird doing it before breakfast seeing how tooth paste are usually minty flavour. What I'm getting at is the minty taste stay behind for a for minute after brushing so doing it before breakfast means you still get the minty taste and feel when you're eating! (How does that work if you're drinking orange?)

Yes I know there are non minty flavour tooth paste but I still find it weird.

If you're drinking or eating anything containing citrus it tastes really awful. It almost ruined orange for me when I forgot I had brushed my teeth and had some.

OT: Always brush after. Brushing before serves no purpose. Also you should also be careful with brushing shortly after having something acidic such as juice since brushing actually spreads it. Good to take a few sips of water first to protolyze the acids.

Before. The reason is that the acidity in food and beverages causes tooth enamel to soften, and brushing right after eating an acidic meal strips enamel from the teeth, leaving them vulnerable to cavities. Leaving a little food behind actually doesn't cause as much damage as your toothbrush does as it scrubs the natural protective layer off the teeth. Or you can wait an hour after your meal.

You're supposed to brush your teeth before.

Like you're supposed to wait after you had dinner before brushing your teeth.

There is no point in brushing dirty food onto your teeth.

Lalo Lomeli:
Before. The reason is that the acidity in food and beverages causes tooth enamel to soften, and brushing right after eating an acidic meal strips enamel from the teeth, leaving them vulnerable to cavities. Leaving a little food behind actually doesn't cause as much damage as your toothbrush does as it scrubs the natural protective layer off the teeth. Or you can wait an hour after your meal.

This. This so much.

Specially after drinking things like sodas or white wine. These are pretty acidic.

Always after, what's the point of brushing if you're just going to dirty your teeth again immediately afterwards?

I used to brush my teeth when I woke up, but if you try and drink some sorts of milky substances it tastes just really really horrible. So I stopped doing that. 16 years ago :p.

Ieyke:
There's no good answer. Orange juice isn't something you can happily drink after brushing, and brushing after drinking orange juice is bad for your teeth.

gyroc1:
Ok, this is a weird common sense question. Are you supposed to eat before brushing your teeth in the morning or brush your teeth before eating breakfast?
I've been raised to always brushed my teeth before eating. I have a friend whose family eats before brushing, but my dentist recently said that I should eat before brushing. I can see why this makes sense because your teeth get dirty when you eat so it would make sense to brush after eating to destroy all the plaque in one go. But a quick google search suggests that he is wrong because eating certain foods weakens the enamel and makes
brushing actually harm your teeth.

Maybe I'm asking this to see people's habits.

brushing your teeth before breakfast doesn't make any sense.

you brush your teeth to get rid of food residues between your teeth that are then used by the bacteria in your mouth to multiply faster (bacteria love sugar in any form). these bacteria can then reduce the pH-value of your mouth which then attacks the enamel even more agressively so they can get to the root.
by brushing your teeth before eating something you just give the bacteria more time to potentially do harm and you might not enjoy acid food like oranges or orange juice.

plus toothpaste contains Sodium dodecyl sulfate, a surfactant/detergent that is mostly used so the paste can foam up better and faster.
Sodium lauryl sulfate diminishes the perception of sweetness and saltiness in your tounge so that bitter tastes are extreemly heightened.

and i don't think you brush your teeth the second you finished your breakfast.

(toothpaste has some toxic Components. thats why you should not swallow or eat toothpaste in large quantities or over a large period. but i guess that could only happen in japan in some weird fetish thing....)

to australian escapists:

i read somewhere that in the australian folklore there is some kind of 'bad breath' fairy that occasionally takes a dump in your mouth.
can you confirm or debunk this?

When I ate breakfast, it was always before.

I was the kind of person who can't wake up unless I take a shower, and I always brush me teeth in the shower.

I never eat breakfast, problem solved.

Redlin5:

Isn't it the overnight plaque what you're trying to get rid of?

Indeed it is. You're supposed to get rid of any chunks of food that may have stayed the night in your mouth, as the food can rot overnight. Eating food before you wash your teeth might cause you to eat the rotten bits as well, which can cause sickness. Or so I've grown to believe. That said, I hardly ever have breakfest and don't wash my teeth in the morning (though I should do both D: )

To be honest I don't do either because I only brush my teeth at night-time. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. :|

I know it seems more logical to brush after you eat, but on days when I get up for school or work, I tend to brush my teeth and then hop into the shower as soon as I get up. So I brush my teeth before breakfast yes.

After breakfast, obviously.Eating makes your teeth dirty, so they need cleaning.

Also, brushing before just makes your mouth taste like mint. Everything tastes like mint after that...

Zuh, I brush WHILE eating. MULTITASKING.

I usually do both. Since I usually wake up brush my teeth and then take a few hours before eating breakfast.

Though I also really don't like morning breath......It runs really badly in my family so.....

I usually brush my teeth before. I will sometimes use mouthwash after I eat, though. It depends on if we have the mouthwash that I like. :3 I like the orange one. lol.

I don't eat breakfest, so I guess neither, but afterwards seems the logical course of action.

I always brush after when I am at home... but when I am at work, as the dining room is on the way to work I can't be bothered to go to breakfast, then return to my room to brush teeth, and then go again, so I brush after my shower! I tend to have breakfast at work aswell, and don't really want to take my toothbrush in!

But that is only for convenience... if I had the choice I would brush my teeth after! I like to start my actual day with a fresh feeling mouth!

I do it before. However, because my breakfast is usually a mass gainer shake, I don't think that it really makes much of a difference.

No one has mentioned this, it seems. Make of it what you will.

Cracked.com:
Tooth Brushing

Bad breath is a great way to lose new friends. Nobody wants to talk to or sit next to someone whose breath is outlawed by the terms of the Geneva Conventions. So thank goodness we learned to brush our teeth so much.

Well, actually, our obsessive-compulsive tooth-brushing practices lead to deteriorating oral health, including increased numbers of cavities and eventual tooth loss. Traditional wisdom, as dictated to us from a young age by school-visiting dentists with happy, anthropomorphic teeth printed on their shirts, is that we should brush twice a day, after meals. That makes sense, because you're getting rid of all those hamburger particles wedged between your teeth before they can start rotting and convert your breath into a chemical weapon.

But surprise -- you're wrong. British dentists are now recommending that people, especially small people between the ages of five and 10, not brush their teeth after every meal. The reason is that the acidity in food and beverages causes tooth enamel to soften, and brushing right after eating an acidic meal strips enamel from the teeth, leaving them vulnerable to cavities. Leaving a little food behind actually doesn't cause as much damage as your toothbrush does as it scrubs the natural protective layer off the teeth. Up yours, dentists.

Studies show that flossing is much more important than brushing. Dental floss actually removes the bacteria that clump together between your teeth, without scrubbing and stripping layers off them.

But before you run to your dentist and smugly assert that Cracked told you that brushing is bad for you, brushing twice a day is generally still believed to be the best practice. But you should do it away from mealtimes to give your teeth time to recover from acid wear -- ideally, right before you eat or drink anything. And although you might instinctively prefer a hard toothbrush to really grind off those asshole bacteria, studies suggest you should use a soft brush and focus on your gums more than your actual teeth. So it's really more of a tooth massage.

Link: http://www.cracked.com/article_19121_7-basic-things-you-wont-believe-youre-all-doing-wrong_p1.html

Sugar doesn't harm your teeth, sugar fuelling plaque that harm your teeth harms your teeth. By brushing before, you remove all the plaque, and the food doesn't harm your teeth to any great extent.

MuzzleFlash:
Clean teeth, shower, breakfast, perhaps floss (much more important than brushing) again if there's a particularly stuck piece of food, onwards. Never use mouthwash, 'tis a gimmick. Mother is a dental hygienist.

Don't understand the 'wipe ass, then defecate logic'. If your faeces left your sphincter in a state whereby wiping would wear it away I'd be hesitant.

EDIT: the bird dropping on the car is perhaps a more apt one, since the ammonia in that can damage the paint, and being too vigorous while removing it even more so.

That's what I was going to say. Good job that you saw through those false analogies. I was wondering why people kept doing the wipe ass analogy. The problem is that you have a low post count, so not many will care about your opinion.

Soxafloppin:
After.

Just seems wierd to wipe your ass then take a shit.

Well said, and that is the way sense would have it. But as someone said, brushing immediately after eating results in weakening the enamel of your teeth. According to dentists, you should either brush before or well after eating. So while your way makes sense, in this case the best way is slightly counter-intuitive.

The Cool Kid:

ultimateownage:
Before. The stuff in your food can soften your teeth, and then you just fuck it up by brushing. I used to do it afterwards because I hated the taste, but I can't be fucked going back upstairs to go and brush my teeth after eating and tea is really good at removing the taste.

Brushing before eating is a complete waste of time.

No, it's not. It cleans your teeth. I really want to know what kind of diet these people must be eating to relate their breakfast to shit, because believe it or not food isn't covered with harmful bacteria.

ultimateownage:

The Cool Kid:

ultimateownage:
Before. The stuff in your food can soften your teeth, and then you just fuck it up by brushing. I used to do it afterwards because I hated the taste, but I can't be fucked going back upstairs to go and brush my teeth after eating and tea is really good at removing the taste.

No, it's not. It cleans your teeth. I really want to know what kind of diet these people must be eating to relate their breakfast to shit, because believe it or not food isn't covered with harmful bacteria.

No, but it feeds the bacteria in your mouth which erode your enamel. The sooner you brush after eating the sooner you get rid of it and so the less damage they do to your teeth.

If you've eaten or drunk anything particularly acid, (usually some kind of citrus fruit juice) that softens your enamel and so brushing can wear it away, but only when you've had something acidic (and even then, I've never seen any dentist recommend anything other than brushing half an hour afterwards, never before), the rest of the time you should brush immediately afterwards.

ultimateownage:

The Cool Kid:

ultimateownage:

Why do you need to clean your teeth before you've eaten??
Brushing removes lodged food that causes a build up of acid and help prevent plaque. To brush before eating completely defeats the point of brushing. You obviously have absolutely no idea why you brush your teeth because it has nothing to do with bacteria.

I read about this on Cracked(the same thing some other guy posted above). A week ago there were some oral hygiene people giving a lecture on...well, oral hygiene at my school. I was really curious about this so I asked them which was better. They said before, but I don't brush my teeth in the mornings anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

EDIT. The "take a crap then wipe" analogy doesn't really work in my opinion. We're talking about teeth corroding due to eating and/or brushing. Does your ass corrode when you take a shit? If so, then I feel sorry for you, but I'm assuming most people will say no.

The Cool Kid:

ultimateownage:

The Cool Kid:

Brushing removes lodged food that causes a build up of acid and help prevent plaque. To brush before eating completely defeats the point of brushing. You obviously have absolutely no idea why you brush your teeth because it has nothing to do with bacteria.

OriginalLadders:

ultimateownage:

The Cool Kid:

No, but it feeds the bacteria in your mouth which erode your enamel. The sooner you brush after eating the sooner you get rid of it and so the less damage they do to your teeth.

If you've eaten or drunk anything particularly acid, (usually some kind of citrus fruit juice) that softens your enamel and so brushing can wear it away, but only when you've had something acidic (and even then, I've never seen any dentist recommend anything other than brushing half an hour afterwards, never before), the rest of the time you should brush immediately afterwards.

Believe it or not, the chemicals in the toothpaste are still there when you eat your breakfast. They don't disappear instantly. And I tend to eat food which doesn't get lodged in my teeth like that.
By the way, yes brushing does remove the plaque even if it's before eating food. And a hell of a lot more things than just vinegar or fruit soften the enamel. And yes, brushing your teeth does involve bacteria.

Since when was brushing your teeth straight away in the morning so fucking controversial?

ultimateownage:
Believe it or not, the chemicals in the toothpaste are still there when you eat your breakfast. They don't disappear instantly. And I tend to eat food which doesn't get lodged in my teeth like that.
By the way, yes brushing does remove the plaque even if it's before eating food. And a hell of a lot more things than just vinegar or fruit soften the enamel. And yes, brushing your teeth does involve bacteria.

Since when was brushing your teeth straight away in the morning so fucking controversial?

You don't have to eat things which get lodged between your teeth for food to remain on your teeth, a fine residue will always be there after eating and this is what the bacteria feed on, it is also what is removed by brushing. As for softening enamel, I have only ever seen dentists recommend brushing after eating, and if you've drunk some kind of citrus fruit juice with breakfast, waiting for about half an hour. I'm not saying that brushing before eating doesn't clean your teeth, but that brushing after is far more effective.

ultimateownage:

The Cool Kid:

ultimateownage:

OriginalLadders:

ultimateownage:

Oh okay so you clearly know better then dentists.
No you don't. All food is softened and will get lodged due to the actions of the molars. Stop being so arrogant - you have got it all wrong and are now fighting science with nothing but sheer arrogance.

After. It makes my food taste weird otherwise.

Maxtro:
Assuming you brushed your teeth right before you went to bed and had nothing to eat after; what exactly are you brushing off, if you brush your teeth before you have breakfast?

It's literally the same thing as washing your clothes, putting them away. Then washing them again before you wear them.

This.
I have never understood why people would brush before, unless they think that somehow saliva is acidic and corrosive to teeth. It would just be a waste of time and toothpaste.

Sometimes before, sometimes after.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked