Would You Be Willing To Do It?
No, stealing is stealing.
9.1% (50)
9.1% (50)
Sure why not?
87.2% (478)
87.2% (478)
I refuse to answer for reasons I will state in a post below.
2.7% (15)
2.7% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: If You Could Take One Cent From Everyone In the World.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Completely hypothetical scenario: Let's say that somehow you discovered a way to to steal exactly one penny, or the monetary equivalent in countries with different currencies, from everyone in the world who has at least cent to their name. Since there are currently 7+ billion people in the world, probably most of which having at least some money, it's a pretty sure bet that you'll walk away with over 40 million dollars.

There's no chance you'll be caught. It's unlikely that anyone will even notice (or even care about) just one missing penny.

And that money is yours to do whatever you want, including donating to charity if you choose.

Sure, why not. Is what I picked. Yeah, it's stealing and yeah, it's lots of stealing (7+ billion thefts, or whatever, really) but I don't particularly care as I'm going to be rich.

Yeah, why not. Like you said, nobody will care about their missing penny and I become rich. Plus I'd like to think that I would do something good for the world with some of the money.

I think I would have to donate a very large amount, say at least half, probably more (like 35million) before I felt semi-okay with it. To me stealing a penny from someone in a developed nation isn't that major but I'd feel like a huge dick for stealing from poor people who have next to nothing (penny being ever so proportionally more important).

I wouldn't. Yeah many wouldn't care but there's also the billions that use that penny to pay the rent or get the bread on the table.

Maybe if I could somehow give back, via Charity, fast enough for it not to become a worry I would.

I would do it... over and over till i didn't think I could get away with it anymore.. and I would spend it all on hookers and blow

A penny from everyone? Yeah I'd do that, it's barley stealing, and as no one notice no ones hurt. And to make it better I'll donate about half to charities.

Wow, I expected majority to be in the Yes but I didn't expect that it would be such a landslide...I suppose the thread is still young though, so maybe that will change.

Ultimately, stealing is stealing and stealing is wrong. Notice how many of these people saying Yes are saying they'd donate a ton to charity? Trying to ease a guilty conscience there...?

Besides, a penny isn't much to 1st world countries but I'm sure there are plenty of people in third world countries who would disagree with the "not notice" part.

I feel as though I could do some good with that money. However, I have no idea where I would donate or try to use the money for the best good.

It seems to me that I have an opportunity here to take one cent from poorer families and give them back two. Sure, the international distribution of wealth is not such that I would be able to provide such a perfect return to all the needy. However, I'd like to think that a lot of people (apart of me) could benefit from such a system.

tippy2k2:
Wow, I expected majority to be in the Yes but I didn't expect that it would be such a landslide...I suppose the thread is still young though, so maybe that will change.

Ultimately, stealing is stealing and stealing is wrong. Notice how many of these people saying Yes are saying they'd donate a ton to charity? Trying to ease a guilty conscience there...?

Besides, a penny isn't much to 1st world countries but I'm sure there are plenty of people in third world countries who would disagree with the "not notice" part.

well to be fair your sample size isn't even 20 people yet so a tad early to trend watch... but I do love some of the justifications and rationalizations ... makes me think I may not be the only sociopath on these forums :P

Yeah I would, and like most people, Most of it would go toward good causes.
This makes me think, what if in a developed country, what if everyone gave a dollar, toward feeding poor kids in Africa?

Liquidacid23:
I would do it... over and over till i didn't think I could get away with it anymore.. and I would spend it all on hookers and blow

You win sir.

Not from everyone in the world because in many parts of the world thats a significant amount of money. However, I'd definitely do it if it was from everyone in the US.

I know you factored in the people without money but I don't think you factored in enough. Millions of people in Africa have no money, let alone the homeless people in the world etc say there 7 billion in the world, 5 billion have money ... at my guess anyway.

I would still do it, why not? Nobody would miss a penny, most people would give you a penny anyway! I bet you could walk around your town and ask every person you met to give you a penny, every person with money on them would.

It's a penny, you can't even buy a penny sweet with that! (not even joking)

Well, yeah, just as part of the general case for if I could steal tens of millions without getting caught, I would. I might stop to think if it was from the coffers of an orphanage or whatever, but in general hell yeah I'd steal money if I couldn't get caught doing it, I like money.

you heartless bastard, it would have to be more specific, like everyone in a developed country with financial security. Not everyone has a penny to give me you know.

Normally I am all "Stealing is stealing" but for such a pitifully small amount, it is worth it. Especially since the majority of that money would go towards good causes and making other people happy while only a small amount would go towards myself.
-EDIT-
I should add that I probably would only do it from those who have at least 100 dollars of equivalent currency. I don't want to be taking anyone's last penny.

Not from everyone in the world, but from everyone in relatively affluent countries sure. You'd still make around a million or two dollars. No one really got hurt.

I'd do it, and if I felt guilty about taking a little money from poor starving people, I'll donate some money to charity, problem solved.

I would do that....and spend some money on really poor nations...but mostly me, im selfish

I'd do it - from those that could spare the penny.

I'd take two. Mwahahaha!

Seriously though, ya I'd do it. 40 million dollars is a lot of money. I would probably just take random courses in university with my friends.
Then I'd buy a mansion that has canals.

Yeah I'd do it. Pay off my loans, keep going to school, new car and computer, and honestly, I doubt I would even feel guilty about it. Considering it hypothetically I don't muster even a shred of remorse. I guess that makes me a bad person. Or maybe it was when I killed everyone in Megaton just because I knew I was going to blow it up anyways and wanted the xp. And I hated some of them. Friggin Moriarty...

I would do it, and use the 7 billion coins to build the world's largest penny pyramid.

But that would probably take a dozen life times to complete, so instead I'd probably end up overflowing every coinstar machine on earth.

I wouldn't take money from everybody, but I'd take it from everyone who wouldn't miss it. I'm sure there are countries where every tiny scrap of money you can get would be valuable. Even just taking money from people who wouldn't even noticed the loss, you'd end up pretty darn rich.

Say I ended up with 40 million, I'd give away 10 million to assuage my guilty conscience, use 15 million to secure my family's financial situation for the rest of our lives, and use the rest of the money to start my own business and employ some folk.

Fuck that. I'm not lugging 7 billion pennies to the bank.

I think it'd be a morally-repugnant thing to NOT steal it.

With how much money is wasted by developed nations, let alone how much money is wasted by developing nations, even a small portion of your 40-60 million would easily save hundreds of thousands of lives or would, if spent wisely, help put an entire city or town in Africa or India into a state of near-self-sustainability. At the very least, it would buy a ton of condoms (and a ton of education) for the families in poor areas that find it to be a fantastic idea to have kids when you can't even feed yourself. And, for the developed world, I'd throw a few million that would save thousands of lives by paying for medical procedures and the like.

I'd still keep enough to keep me and my family sustained for life, sure, but the rest is going directly towards saving lives.

In conclusion, you either haven't thought about the consequences, or you're kind of an asshole, if you wouldn't steal the money. Sorry.

omega 616:
I know you factored in the people without money but I don't think you factored in enough. Millions of people in Africa have no money, let alone the homeless people in the world etc say there 7 billion in the world, 5 billion have money ... at my guess anyway.

I would still do it, why not? Nobody would miss a penny, most people would give you a penny anyway! I bet you could walk around your town and ask every person you met to give you a penny, every person with money on them would.

It's a penny, you can't even buy a penny sweet with that! (not even joking)

5,000,000,000 people with .01 dollars = 50,000,000 dollars. Or fifty million. Greater than what the OP said would be a rough estimate for money (he said 40 million).

It's almost an impossible scenario to say no to. The guilt of taking from someone who possibly can't afford to spare a penny could be assuaged by donating to charity or helping poverty-stricken areas around the world. Also, like many people have said "no one would miss a penny" is a pretty good way to convince yourself you're ok.

I honestly wouldn't know what else to do with the money though. I've never been one to have a ton of fancy things (honestly I feel guilty when I have expensive things that I can no longer justify having). I've also never been much of a risk-taker so I'd probably end up sitting on the money until things came up that needed taking care of.

Student loans, family debts, medical expenses, things like that.

I can't really comprehend what $70 million would look like (using 7 billion people and the specific details given by the OP of 1 penny from each person) so I can't give an honest answer beyond that. I might sit on the money and keep it for a proverbial rainy day, or I may start my own TV show where people pitch me ideas for organizations/causes/events that I should donate for and become a philanthropic star. I start a business and gainfully employee people who need jobs (to steal an idea from another post).

Who knows?

However, I do know that if I stole a DIME from everyone, I'd use a large portion of that money to pay off assassins to kill everyone on Jersey Shore and anyone who's had anything to do with putting it on the air.

Only kidding.

....maybe

They won't miss a penny...

I know I shouldn't, but in a case that is such a petty crime to each person with so much personal gain in the end I'd have to say I'd do it. I can be filthy rich just by committing what amounts to a minor crime over and over.

Though really I've thought about this kind of thing before. Not stealing it, but if I could get a dollar from every person in the country or the like...

Yep, and for purely personal gain as well, ain't I just a little scamp ;)

tobi the good boy:
Yep, and for purely personal gain as well, ain't I just a little scamp ;)

I like how "tobi the good boy" has no problems stealing from everyone in the world just for personal gain XD

Not that I'm saying anything about how bad that is considering I'd do the same. Just a funny observation.

No... Most people in the world don't even have a cent to give

I refuse to answer because:

I already pretty much have, haven't I? I'm a average, middle class Westerner living in a first world nation who happens to:
* Drink coffee (fair trade where possible, but that still relies on relative currency worth)
* Sparingly use crap made of plastic (oil, oil, oil) and
* Wear clothes made cheap by Chinese currency manipulation (so there's 1/3 of the world taken account for in a single garment)

Thank you for the cents everyone.

nope. in poorer countries that simple penny could mean alot.
though hypothetically if i was a heartless bastard i would use the money for a cosy house. and spend the rest of the money on blinging it out :)

Edit: also i would like to note that i would if it didn't affect anyone to negatively

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked