What's with the negative view on rock/metal music?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Kitsuna10060:
hehe, if rock and metal are 'offensive' then those prudes should take a wide birth in avoiding rap/hiphop

exactly. not to mention that your more likely to get stabbed at a rap concert than you are to get hurt in a circle pit.

Hey us Hip-Hop fans get the same schtick from some[1] metalheads all the time

[1] And I must stress some

lRookiel:
Then my iTunes lies! My apologies for the mistake. But The thread says "whats with the negative view on rock/metal music?" so my point still stands all the same. I do hate it when people generalize rock/metal to be all inaudible nonsense when really it isn't.

Yeah, iTunes shouldn't really be trusted when it comes to genres. :P

And yeah, agreed. While it's true some can be considered inaudible noise, there's plenty that aren't.

Hazy992:

I admit I tend to hate on rap sometimes, but that's generally only the gangsta stuff. And ICP and the likes.

Hell, I've a couple of albums by MC Chris, and The Herbaliser. :P

I'm not a fan of the genre, and the general hive-mind mentality of a lot of its audience puts me off even further. You know, the long-haired, spiked wristbands and chains-on-pants part of the audience.

I even understand the whole idea of hard music and headbanging, but dressing up the same as most people who listen primarily to that music? Come on.

William Ossiss:

Kitsuna10060:
hehe, if rock and metal are 'offensive' then those prudes should take a wide birth in avoiding rap/hiphop

exactly. not to mention that your more likely to get stabbed at a rap concert than you are to get hurt in a circle pit.

and its my understanding that the pits are really in good fun anyway (i've never been in one but that's what i heard, could be wrong)

i also remember hearing a while ago, metal was also about venting all the negative energy. again, just what i heard, but listening to metal while doing something (splitting wood as example) dose have that kinda effct

Hammeroj:
I'm not a fan of the genre, and the general hive-mind mentality of a lot of its audience puts me off even further. You know, the long-haired, spiked wristbands and chains-on-pants part of the audience.

I even understand the whole idea of hard music and headbanging, but dressing up the same as most people who listen primarily to that music? Come on.

What about fans of hiphip/rap? Ravers? Skaters? Emo/scene kids? Ska?

DoPo:
Oh look another one of those threads. "Some people do not like what I like, why don't they like it?"

The OP's post.

Your head.

Way over it.

It's more like...
"why do people think I am the Anti-Christ for listening to Marylin Manson?
"a satanic freak for listening to Metal?" (which includes many artists that are not satanic, and don't sing that *GRRRROOOOOAAAAAAAAA* kind of music)
"and a Nazi for listening to Rammstein?"

Metal specifically gets a more negative reaction than most genres simply by virtue of its extreme nature. If you don't understand what's behind it, or don't have a well-trained ear, a lot of it is gonna sounds like "noise" very quickly.

Kitsuna10060:
and its my understanding that the pits are really in good fun anyway (i've never been in one but that's what i heard, could be wrong)

i also remember hearing a while ago, metal was also about venting all the negative energy. again, just what i heard, but listening to metal while doing something (splitting wood as example) dose have that kinda effct

People in the pits are generally very courteous towards eachother. If someone gets knocked down, they generally help them back up and make sure they're alright. And in the few instances someone DOES decide to be a dick, they generally get worked out of the pit rather quickly. ;)

While I can't speak for others, yeah, metal is pretty much a vent for me. :)

Blablahb:

zehydra:
Maybe on this website, but in general, Metal has waaay more people that dislike it than like it. Metal in all its forms has never been the "popular" genre.

A rather big survey in my country among those with a tertiary education (university and HBO, the two top levels of education here) showed metal to be the largest genre among those people, with a 30% share, followed by classical music.

Mind you, that group included a ton of people from earlier generations whose musical taste developed before metal. The share would get a lot bigger if you eliminated the age 40 and up age group from that survey.

My favorite genre is symphonic metal, a fusion of metal and classical. And I'm a college student.

MonkeyGH:
"How can you listen to that crap?" or "That music is so offensive!".

I've literally heard the same lines against Rap / Hip Hop, Electro, Dubstep, Pop, Rock, Punk (also, Batman hates Punk!) and sometimes even Classic (and about every other music genre).

Stagnant:
Metal specifically gets a more negative reaction than most genres simply by virtue of its extreme nature. If you don't understand what's behind it, or don't have a well-trained ear, a lot of it is gonna sounds like "noise" very quickly.

Very much this.

There's a couple of metal genres I'm not really a fan of (highly technical death metal, for instance), but that's mainly because I don't quite get how the music 'works'. That, and odd tempo changes tend to mess me up.

AnarchistFish:

xplosive59:
If the only metal they have heard were the stuff that are shown on scuzz and other rock channels (Black Veil Brides, Bring Me the Horizon etc) then I would agree with them that its shit. Gladly I know better, and know that metal is a very diverse genre.

I really dislike bands like Black Veil Brides but I've never understood the hate for Bring Me The Horizon. Sure, I can see why people wouldn't particularly like them, especially with the vocals, but I've always found them to be much more interesting and enjoyable than most metalcore bands, even the more accepted ones such as August Burns Red. They don't even look like a bunch of scene kids anymore.

I dont like them as you can see in my post, but saying that there are way far worse bands out there. I consider them better then, say, Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack but still it doesnt seem like they are trying to do anything that has been done before, and much better.

xplosive59:

AnarchistFish:

xplosive59:
If the only metal they have heard were the stuff that are shown on scuzz and other rock channels (Black Veil Brides, Bring Me the Horizon etc) then I would agree with them that its shit. Gladly I know better, and know that metal is a very diverse genre.

I really dislike bands like Black Veil Brides but I've never understood the hate for Bring Me The Horizon. Sure, I can see why people wouldn't particularly like them, especially with the vocals, but I've always found them to be much more interesting and enjoyable than most metalcore bands, even the more accepted ones such as August Burns Red. They don't even look like a bunch of scene kids anymore.

I dont like them as you can see in my post, but saying that there are way far worse bands out there. I consider them better then, say, Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack but still it doesnt seem like they are trying to do anything that has been done before, and much better.

Just a note: all the bands mentioned in these posts are metalcore (offshoot of the hardcore genre), not actual metal. :P

One word would sum this up. Opinions.

There's nothing more to it, Opinions come in varying strengths so some people will be more vocal and forceful about them, such as your examples. But it's still an opinion regardless and I've never met two people with the same opinions.

I'm not sure how it's confusing that some people found your taste in music offensive, for example I find rap and hip hop offensive because (for the most part, I have come across some good stuff in these genres) it's usually about sex drugs money or cars with very little talent to speak of, yet there are still hundreds of thousands of people who happily listen to it and that's fine because it's what they /like/ so my opinion on what their listening to shouldn't matter and these peoples opinions of your favourite genre shouldn't matter to you either

Blargh McBlargh:

Hammeroj:

What about fans of hiphip/rap? Ravers? Skaters? Emo/scene kids? Ska?

The exact same thing in principle. This particular thread is devoted to rock/metal, so that's why I answered in regards to that. That said, this mix of metal lovers and goth people is particularly prevalent in at least my city, maybe that's why these two not-necessarily-mutually-exclusive-groups started getting on my nerves.

MonkeyGH:
Pop and hip-hop happen to be two of my favorite musical genres. However, I've noticed that without fail if someone doesn't like pop or hip-hop, it seems to immediately goes beyond simply "I don't like that genre." to something along the lines of "How can you listen to that crap?" or "That music is so offensive!".

How can something be offensive purely based on it's musical content? It doesn't even seem to matter what band is playing the music or what is even being said in the lyrics, offensive or not.

Maybe it's just me, but as a regular listener I've gotten plenty of crap for listening to it.

Thoughts/opinions?

Fix'd.

It goes for any genre, really. People like what they like, and DESPISE what they don't like. If anything, rock gets the least amount of hate of all the genres (aside from maybe Classical).

DVS BSTrD:
Rock n'Roll and Metal is the DEVIL's MUSIC! It makes you sell your soul to Satan and fills your head with all manor of perversions and temptations. Save your soul, get a Kenny Rogers Album!
/sarcasm

people MURDER each other because of the music they listen too. Don't you watch the news

Blargh McBlargh:

Hazy992:

I admit I tend to hate on rap sometimes, but that's generally only the gangsta stuff. And ICP and the likes.

Hell, I've a couple of albums by MC Chris, and The Herbaliser. :P

Hey man, I know what you mean. Some of that stuff like Lil Wayne is just awful. And I do like some metal. Rammstein for example. Can't get enough of them :D

Yeah I have it like that too. I love metal and heavy metal. and i'm the only one in my class who likes that kind of music.
they say things like heavy metal is only screaming and growling and music you want to burn a church down to.
this is very irritating since its not true at all, but if i try to explain that to them they won't listen.

another funny thing is that if we have a break between for example Norwegian and math they don't mind if someone plays some kind of techno or some other music that is really popular right now (I really don't like that kind of music) and if i tell them to turn it off they just ignore me, but if i try to put on some metal I am suppose to turn it off immediately.

You can't always explain taste, especially when it comes to music. Some things just don't resonate with you.

And people are always gonna state their opinions about things in a blunt way. There are plenty of things I have written off as "crap", when the reality of exactly how and why and how much I didn't like it was much more complicated. There just isn't always time or need for elaborating on things like that.

Even then, isn't metal at its core a rebellious style of music? Like, going against the establishment, not asking for its acceptance? So who cares if some people don't like it.

Blargh McBlargh:

xplosive59:

AnarchistFish:

Just a note: all the bands mentioned in these posts are metalcore (offshoot of the hardcore genre), not actual metal. :P

Would say that used to be the case (when you had bands like biohazard where it is obviously hardcore with metal influence) but now its not so clear, bands like Killswitch Engage, BFMV and Trivium all say that they are "troo metalz" although being metalcore.

The usual platitudes levied against metal (at least from the musical perspective, let us not indulge the demagoguess with any modicum of credence) tend to be centred around harsh vocals and homogenous instrumentals. While I suppose the former is simply something that certain listeners can't look past (though bare in mind there are plenty of acts which use clean vocals as I shall demonstrate below), in regard the latter I find it to be a myopic assertion that any genre; Metal, Rock, Soul, Folk, Jazz, Electronic, Classical, Ambient etc. only contains artists which sound exactly alike and merely speaks of the listeners ingorence/lack of exposure to the topic at hand. If you're going to say that all of these songs for example are indistinguishable, then I feel you are simply being disingenuous:

I have never believed in the phrase, "that's not music," even when it comes to music genre I don't like. I may not like it, but I'm not going to try and claim that it's not music.

That is... until I heard Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, and the like.

Why? Because, in my opinion, the ear-bleeding levels of screaming/growling overpower the instruments. You know the things that are suppose to give the song rhythm. No rhythm, no music.

It's kind of like those female singers who are so revered by music critics because they can hit the really, really high note. Ever listen to one? Tell me, how many here actually go "Ack!" and whence when they hit that high note? I do because to me it adds nothing to the song. In fact, I find it distracting. Death metal, (I'll just call it that here for the sake of time), has the same problem except it's actually worse.

I've lost count of the number of times I heard a metal song start and it sounds good. Then the lead singer has to open his friggin' mouth. Nothing ruins a good song like hearing, "mooorb dooupoooomaab togrooooooollllllll!!!" That is seriously what it sounds like to me.

That's the problem with most death metal and screamo bands that I've heard. All of that screaming and growling actually serves as a distraction to the music. Lyrics should never distract the audience from the music.

I grew up listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Guns & Roses, and Motley Crue. So maybe I'm old fashioned.
Now having growled/screamed lyrics doesn't always automatically make the song suck. However, there are only two songs I can think of, off the top of my head, where the growling/screaming doesn't distract from the music.

Note how the growled lyrics are never louder then the bass guitar. Helps it go along with the song instead of overpowering it.

There's screamed lyrics, but it's infrequent and done by a back-up singer. Thus it adds to music instead of being a distraction.

Yes, I acknowledge all I said above was subjective opinion, and NOT objective fact.

Blargh McBlargh:

xplosive59:

AnarchistFish:

The clue's in the addition of the word "metal". Most metalcore bands lean towards the metal aspect more than the hardcore aspect these days anyway. Bands like Converge are exceptions, but BMTH, KSE etc are more metal than anything.

the target audience are mostly 14-24 old smart-arses (who are always very vocal about how much better their music genre is than everything else), older listeners are either more open to other genres or are eternal juveniles themselves...

AnarchistFish:

Blargh McBlargh:

xplosive59:

The clue's in the addition of the word "metal". Most metalcore bands lean towards the metal aspect more than the hardcore aspect these days anyway. Bands like Converge are exceptions, but BMTH, KSE etc are more metal than anything.

I'll give you that for KsE, but BMTH sound like they had gotten progressively less metal. I'm gonna agree with Blargh in that metalcore bands are more hardcore than metal. And in my opinion, I like those genres seperate.

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

Blargh McBlargh:

I'll give you that for KsE, but BMTH sound like they had gotten progressively less metal. I'm gonna agree with Blargh in that metalcore bands are more hardcore than metal. And in my opinion, I like those genres seperate.

BMTH are still metal. They've gotten less heavy since their debut album but they're still metal...
And I'm not really sure why people think metalcore is closer to hardcore than metal. Listen to a hardcore band, listen to a metal band, then listen to a metalcore band. In most cases metalcore will sound closer to metal. It just doesn't have the same intense, claustrophobic energy and raw guitar sound.

A lot of people tend to ignore that certain music that, if i'm honest, is really only considered metal because it doesn't really fit in anywhere else, can be downright beautiful. The Dutch Symphonic Metal band Epica is a prime example of this, but there are definitely others.

someonehairy-ish:

Matthew94:
*Wailing guitars and vocalist screaming about sorrow"

Then all you've listened to is core music. Look at one of the biggest metal bands ever; Iron Maiden. Their songs are more often about history and mythology than anything else. No angsty wankery. Whether they're waily on the guitars or not... IDK. Also, clean vocals.

90% of metal is crap. But 90% of everything is crap. You just have to dig a bit deeper.

Iknow metal bands that sound triumphant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmgpuZLsXQ&feature=related

or talk about the environment and philosophy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eljjOJwlDY

or sex. In a non-misogynistic way too. It depends how you interpret the song really:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3R4zkblHZk

or that just avoid vocals altogether:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrwYPhHThc

High five for Tempting Time, Animals As Leaders are ridiculously quality.

Anyway, yeah the general opinion of metal to someone who is uninformed is that it's all screaming and all the same, so all you need to do is ease them in with less jarring material.

AnarchistFish:

BMTH are still metal. They've gotten less heavy since their debut album but they're still metal...
And I'm not really sure why people think metalcore is closer to hardcore than metal. Listen to a hardcore band, listen to a metal band, then listen to a metalcore band. In most cases metalcore will sound closer to metal. It just doesn't have the same intense, claustrophobic energy and raw guitar sound.

I might be listening to the wrong metalcore then. The metalcore bands I've listened to sounded closer to post-hardcore than metal. Probably why I'm not that into it.

xplosive59:

Would say that used to be the case (when you had bands like biohazard where it is obviously hardcore with metal influence) but now its not so clear, bands like Killswitch Engage, BFMV and Trivium all say that they are "troo metalz" although being metalcore.[/quote]

Bands say a lot of shit though.

Rhapsody (of Fire) call themselves "Hollywood metal". <.<

Most likely due to the close-minded nature of most people when it comes to creative media.

"This music is just noise because it's not happy."

"This game is boring because I can't shoot people."

"This film is for kids because it's animated."

"This painting is just mess because it's not photorealistic"

Oh, and stereotypes of all rock/metal being angry, of course.

And of course "Both of these guitars have distortion, so they sound exactly the same because its not like melodic style means anything in music, right?"

OhJohnNo:
most metal songs sound similar to each other to me. Not quite to "they all sound the same" level, but it's rock music I find can't be properly looked at as a single genre.

Matthew94:
snip

Refer to my post above, the songs I've sampled I'd say are pretty idiosyncratic, most of them predominately use clean vocals and they aren't built upon the superfluous displays of technicality you seem rather averse to. Even if you guys aren't fond of them, I'm hoping to at least illustrate the diversity capable within and plethora of influences that metal draws from.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked