What's with the negative view on rock/metal music?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

BMTH are still metal. They've gotten less heavy since their debut album but they're still metal...
And I'm not really sure why people think metalcore is closer to hardcore than metal. Listen to a hardcore band, listen to a metal band, then listen to a metalcore band. In most cases metalcore will sound closer to metal. It just doesn't have the same intense, claustrophobic energy and raw guitar sound.

I might be listening to the wrong metalcore then. The metalcore bands I've listened to sounded closer to post-hardcore than metal. Probably why I'm not that into it.

What bands in particular?

thedevildancer:
but its not my point my point is if you take 10 metal songs randomly 1 will sound different and if you take any two songs from the same album i couldn't tell them apart

Depends totally on the band. American metal tends to be hard to distinguish, and another band I recall is Dragonforce. Great with guitars, but they show that off so much many of their songs start to sound the same.

But Eluveitie for instance alternates between styles heavily. One song is totally folk and their guitarist barely gets to play, another sounds pretty fast and powerfull.

Heidevolk is another band (very specific to the Netherlands) who alternate like that. If I can name two more examples, same band, also same cd so there's no variation due to how a band develops over time.

First on their first cd, really sounds metal'ish, right? Only skip through a few chunks if you like.

A few songs later we run into this:

A band only making songs like that wouldn't even be placed in the metal genre at all. Yet, the band is about as close to the mainstream Dutch-language pop (which is atrociously bad) as Margaret Thatcher is to Karl Marx.

Blargh McBlargh:

xplosive59:
Just a note: all the bands mentioned in these posts are metalcore (offshoot of the hardcore genre), not actual metal. :P

Would say that used to be the case (when you had bands like biohazard where it is obviously hardcore with metal influence) but now its not so clear, bands like Killswitch Engage, BFMV and Trivium all say that they are "troo metalz" although being metalcore.

Bands say a lot of shit though.

Rhapsody (of Fire) call themselves "Hollywood metal". <.<[/quote]

Really? cause thats hillarious, its kinda to be expected though when you were once managed by John DeMaio!

ElPatron:

DoPo:
Oh look another one of those threads. "Some people do not like what I like, why don't they like it?"

The OP's post.

Your head.

Way over it.

Same thing with my post and your head. I said confirmation bias. That's what it seems to me and OP hasn't really disproved it. He wants to believe people who don't like metal hate it and so he only remembers the bad things people say. There are a lot of people who neither hate nor like it. In fact there are those who just don't voice their opinions regardless.

I've been a victim of the exact same bias before. There were a couple of friends who were talking about KoRn, I believe and their new album. Then their conversation switched to Slipknot. I didn't take part in the conversation because 1) I don't listen to neither of the two 2) I didn't have nothing to add to that topic really. Then one of them pointed out I didn't say anything, hence I must be appalled by what they were speaking about. So yes, they quickly came to the conclusion that I must absolutely hate metal so they jokingly apologised for their "bad taste". While I stayed there stunned. By the way, my music library consists of 90% rock and metal (rock to metal ratio is probably around 30:70). I had to ask them "Are you guys serious?" to confirm they really weren't joking. They weren't.

Other example: Another friend heard me briefly talk about Metallica (the only time music had been brought up at all) and so he immediately came to the conclusion that I must hate rap[1]. It was a week or two after that he decided to play some rap to wind me up. He was shocked, shocked to learn that I liked rap, too. Well, this time at least I wasn't the one taken by surprise.

That's just the more prominent examples that happened to me specifically. It happens all the time everywhere, heck, I used to do it - I thought that listening to Limp Bizkit and Eminem made me unique when I was around 13. I thought that nobody else could understand the music, hence, if they didn't already listen to LB, they hated it. I must repeat, I was around 13 at that time.

So, why is it that the trend continues? Why do people still choose to listen to only those who support their view and the others who don't for stupid reasons? No, I haven't seen much hate for rock/metal - there are those who like it (actually a significant amount), those who dislike it for legitimate reasons (personal opinion and they don't go out of their way to voice it), others who can't really be bothered (still don't voice their opinion) and a small portion of people with wrong to idiotic views (e.g., it makes Satan possess you). The last group aren't a lot. They just like to be heard. And actually some of the bad impressions can be the fault of the fans of the genre - here's another thing I've seen countless times:

Fan: So do you like the genre of music I like?
Non-fan: Not really.
F: But why?
NF: I don't know, I just don't.
F: You must have a reason tell me.
NF: I told you, I don't know. [makes up something hoping to finish the discussion] I suppose I don't like the sound.
F: OK, here listen to this and tell me you don't like it.
NF: Nope, sorry.

And so on and so forth. By pushing what you like, you'll rarely convert somebody. You're more likely to hear a lame excuse because you're being an idiot yourself.

So, confirmation bias? Yes, I think so. There isn't a huge amount of people that think guitars summon demons and listening to metal requires you to eat babies and make sacrifices every full moon. Because someone doesn't listen to metal doesn't mean they believe those things, either.

And sacrifices are on new moon, duh, I hope your goat is ready for Wednesday.

EDIT:

Smokej:
the target audience are mostly 14-24 old smart-arses (who are always very vocal about how much better their music genre is than everything else), older listeners are either more open to other genres or are eternal juveniles themselves...

Now that, I think is correct. Or mostly correct. Sounds plausible enough and I'd support it.

[1] He listens to rap. So obviously, because I listen to metal, I listen to only metal and nothing else. Hence, I hate all other music. Simple really.

ItsAChiaotzu:

someonehairy-ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrwYPhHThc

High five for Tempting Time, Animals As Leaders are ridiculously quality.

Anyway, yeah the general opinion of metal to someone who is uninformed is that it's all screaming and all the same, so all you need to do is ease them in with less jarring material.

I'm seeing them in summer with Meshuggah :D going to be amazing.

I find it depends on the listener. Somebody who appreciates more technical musical, classical and the like, might be easier to throw in the deepend with stuff like AAL because they'll already be able to appreciate the composition. Somebody who just listens to soft rock or pop or whatever might be best started off on some really soft songs from a band that also does metal. That way once they develop a liking for the band they might move onto some of their heavier stuff.

I got into metal by listening to some of the songs off Avenged's self titled album. Then I started listening to City of Evil, which is a bit heavier. Then I listening to Waking the Fallen which is heavier still. I think because I'd got used to Syn's guitar and the doublebass pedals in the soft songs it wasn't so harsh sounding in the heavier ones.
I remember a time when I thought LOG was just noise. Now they're about the softest band I listen to.

Another thing I've noticed is that because I listen to a lot of metal I've developed into this stereotype. People are constantly surprised when I reveal I like bands such as Sigur Ros, Brand New, etc just because they aren't metal. Most of the music I listen to these days isn't even metal but because I listen to a lot of it people presume that's all I listen to.

AnarchistFish:

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

BMTH are still metal. They've gotten less heavy since their debut album but they're still metal...
And I'm not really sure why people think metalcore is closer to hardcore than metal. Listen to a hardcore band, listen to a metal band, then listen to a metalcore band. In most cases metalcore will sound closer to metal. It just doesn't have the same intense, claustrophobic energy and raw guitar sound.

I might be listening to the wrong metalcore then. The metalcore bands I've listened to sounded closer to post-hardcore than metal. Probably why I'm not that into it.

Bands like Atreyu, The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, Vanna, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, We Came As Romans, and others along those lines. I really like Between the Buried and Me, though. They're considered metalcore as far as I know.

MonkeyGH:
Thoughts/opinions?

Yes, this is what they are. You've already answered your own question. Now deal with the fact people don't like what you like.

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

SilentJay22:

Bands like Atreyu, The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, Vanna, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, We Came As Romans, and others along those lines. I really like Between the Buried and Me, though. They're considered metalcore as far as I know.

Yeah, most of those are pretty watered down metalcore/post hardcore. The Number Twelve Looks Like You are usually considered mathcore or grindcore though. Maybe even screamo.
God I'm such a genre nazi.

AnarchistFish:

Eh, being a genre nazi isn't that bad. I'm one to some extent too. I get irritated when people get a band's genre wrong. And by wrong I mean not even close. Like when I saw someone call Hate Eternal metalcore.

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

Eh, being a genre nazi isn't that bad. I'm one to some extent too. I get irritated when people get a band's genre wrong. And by wrong I mean not even close. Like when I saw someone call Hate Eternal metalcore.

Heh. I get really irritated when people use the term "screamo" for anything with screaming in it.

Firstly, any metal song is to Justin Beiber as the Sistine Chapel ceiling is to a stick figure.

As a metalhead, I can say that we frequently make ourselves an easy target for negative attention. Even I frequently get pissed off at the amount of blatant, deeply insulting religious intolerance in the genre.

(off-topic rant incoming- sorry) And on that point, seriously, people, what the hell? Not only is blaming God/Christians/Christianity for all of the world's problems completely immature, it shows that you don't know what you're talking about. The Bible, being the supreme spiritual authority in the Christian faith, specifically says (I might be paraphrasing some of this and I can't recall the exact citations, but they're in there), "Thou shalt not kill", "Love your enemies as yourself", etc, etc. So shut up and write something original, already.

Okay rant over metal for life.

xplosive59:
Really? cause thats hillarious, its kinda to be expected though when you were once managed by John DeMaio!

Yeah, lol. :P

Deathmageddon:
Firstly, any metal song is to Justin Beiber as the Sistine Chapel ceiling is to a stick figure.

Lol I've heard quite a few metal bands who are much much much much much worse than anything like Justin Bieber.

Raggedstar:
Negative views on metal? That stuff has been going on for more than 30 years. Been there, done that. Though for the most part, metal these days is fairly well recieved. A lot of the good stuff isn't "MAINSTREAM", but still at a good level of acceptance. Sure there are the nutter people who think you're going to hell for it, but what doesn't get you into hell to them? People I know are either metal fans, or have just lived with it.

If you're talking about people who just plain dislike it *shrugs* people like/dislike cetain things. Simple as that. Open-and-shut case. I'm sure there are songs/genres you feel like you can't listen to.

IamLEAM1983:

The best kind of Metal to show to detractors is Power Metal, provided you can get them to read the lyrics at the same time. Most people think shredding and pounding unilaterally leads to singing about demons and scantily-clad succubi and, well, generally everything that ends up in a typical Cradle of Filth song. Bands like Helloween, on the other end, are typically steeped in Tolkien-based hero worship and maintain a largely positive outlook on things. The same goes for Italian Metal (i.e. Rhapsody), where ending up with an operatic finish about some sort of epic clash between a single wizard against an entire army is fairly commonplace.

There's plenty of Metal subgenres that absolutely don't wallow in doom and gloom, but they naturally don't get much circulation. The mainstream media tends to give more attention to anything that's borderline Screamo or that makes Trent Reznor's melodramas look like a half-hour spent watching the Teletubbies.

Completely agree about power metal. Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and Stratovarius (gotta love 'dem Finns) were three of my gateway bands that got me into metal. I listened to bands like Metallica too, but power metal is where my heart is. It's one of the less "offensive" and more approachable sub-genres (except for maybe folk metal for those that are into the folky stuff). It's metal, but it doesn't "scare" people so much. Power metal has upbeat (sometimes fantastical) tempos and themes, aren't as loud, not known for screaming or Satanic themes, etc. I mean, bloody Nightwish has certain songs/lyrics rooted deeply into mythology, fairy tales, classic literature, and DISNEY (as well as the entire song Fantasmic, which is deliciously stuffed with it).

You mention Tolkienesque lyrics, and all sorts of bands, but don't include The Bards? For shame sir. You can't talk about Power Metal without at least a passing mention of Blind Guardian, it's complete heresy to do so!

And for those of you wondering, here's some songs from them.

Deathmageddon:

As a metalhead, I can say that we frequently make ourselves an easy target for negative attention. Even I frequently get pissed off at the amount of blatant, deeply insulting religious intolerance in the genre.

I think most of it is for shock value. Though there are examples of bands calling out religion for it's faults instead of mindless bashing. Take this song:

Shadowstar38:
When people who dont listen to metal think of what metal is, they think of this...

This is pleasing to my ears, but the vocalist doesnt sound like, you know, actuall singing. And of course, hyper violent and all that shit.

They dont know about all the other types of bands out there. Its more of a pre-consived notion than anything else.

Hmm. I don't tend to like metal, but that sounded alright.

The thing is, the songs I have heard generally hurt my ears to listen to.
To be honest, punk songs are frequently a lot worse for that...

But my point is, listening to some of these songs can feel similar to listening to someone scraping their fingernails across a blackboard.

That's an incredibly unpleasant noise to most people, and I while people certainly have varying tastes, you can't expect someone to like something that to them sounds like a form of audible torture.

The wider problem of course, is that it only takes a handful of bad songs to result in a person writing off an entire genre by association.

Or, of course, the actual difference in taste.

A friend of mine tried to get me to listen to a punk rock song... She found the lyrics really good or something.
Anyway, to her, it was some kind of amazing song with great lyrics.

To me... It was noise that was physically painful to listen to, and whatever the lyrics might be about was impossible for me to determine, because I couldn't understand a single word of it.

All that really says in the end though, is just how extreme differences in musical taste can actually get.

And it can be difficult to understand from both sides.
If you love it, you might fail to see how it could effectively constitute a form of torture for another person.
And if you find it painful to listen to, you'll have a hard time understanding how anyone could possibly like it.

JaceArveduin:

Raggedstar:

IamLEAM1983:

The best kind of Metal to show to detractors is Power Metal, provided you can get them to read the lyrics at the same time. Most people think shredding and pounding unilaterally leads to singing about demons and scantily-clad succubi and, well, generally everything that ends up in a typical Cradle of Filth song. Bands like Helloween, on the other end, are typically steeped in Tolkien-based hero worship and maintain a largely positive outlook on things. The same goes for Italian Metal (i.e. Rhapsody), where ending up with an operatic finish about some sort of epic clash between a single wizard against an entire army is fairly commonplace.

There's plenty of Metal subgenres that absolutely don't wallow in doom and gloom, but they naturally don't get much circulation. The mainstream media tends to give more attention to anything that's borderline Screamo or that makes Trent Reznor's melodramas look like a half-hour spent watching the Teletubbies.

Completely agree about power metal. Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and Stratovarius (gotta love 'dem Finns) were three of my gateway bands that got me into metal. I listened to bands like Metallica too, but power metal is where my heart is. It's one of the less "offensive" and more approachable sub-genres (except for maybe folk metal for those that are into the folky stuff). It's metal, but it doesn't "scare" people so much. Power metal has upbeat (sometimes fantastical) tempos and themes, aren't as loud, not known for screaming or Satanic themes, etc. I mean, bloody Nightwish has certain songs/lyrics rooted deeply into mythology, fairy tales, classic literature, and DISNEY (as well as the entire song Fantasmic, which is deliciously stuffed with it).

You mention Tolkienesque lyrics, and all sorts of bands, but don't include The Bards? For shame sir. You can't talk about Power Metal without at least a passing mention of Blind Guardian, it's complete heresy to do so!

And for those of you wondering, here's some songs from them.

While Power Metal is one of my most favorite genres of metal, I must say I wasn't to attracted to it at first. I wasn't used to those type of vocals. But now, like I said, I love it! And as long as we're plugging our favorite bands...

AnarchistFish:

SilentJay22:

AnarchistFish:

Yeah, most of those are pretty watered down metalcore/post hardcore. The Number Twelve Looks Like You are usually considered mathcore or grindcore though. Maybe even screamo.

If you want to be more precise, some of those are Deathcore, such as the Devil Wears Prada.

I'm the biggest genre Nazi out, ever since I've been on Rate Your Music.

I don't even listen to that sort of music (i'm more of a Shoegazer than anything, it's much better than anything Metal in my personal opinion), and I know what genres most of those bands go in.

That's quite a generalisation. And it's also complete bullshit.

People say that about any music. They just have a different opinion, and it's often very vocal in regards to music. Just because it's directed at the two genres you like (which are also extremely popular) doesn't mean it's ONLY directed at the two genres you like.

Keep in mind that musical taste is subjective to the person in question.

A lot (not all) of the metal that gets broadcasted is merely sexual assault on instruments while the vocalist screeches or tries to sound dark and menacing like he's summoning a demon... whichever one he uses, he's incoherent.

Other metal groups seem to try and focus on creating an epic ballad and I find it to be more jerking themselves off about how awesome they are. Like Rush, yes I don't like Rush.

A few metal heads I know in real life prefer music with (and I quote) "BALLS." It needs to be strong, fast and any other adjective that can be used for a 20 foot penis that's gonna fuck everything like a big foamy vagina. I don't find it offensive as much as not wanting to associate with those people.

All the other metal heads I know whine about it like they're being subjugated. No one is out to get you because of the music you listen to, stop acting like a victim.

Now... I like Rock mostly the old stuff. My music of choice is all the Techno/Electronica/Dance types. Now keep in mind even in the stuff I don't like, I can appreciate certain things in their genre.

I also don't like Rap, Hip-Hop or Country.

thedevildancer:
1. i dont like the screaming.
2. i dont like the long fast guitar solo.
3. i dont like how the music has no meaning (music not lyrics) its all just loud and screamy a sad song should have a sad tune.
4. i dont like how its all a sport fastest solo louder music longer hair.
5. i dont like how it all sounds the same.
i dont like metal and neither should you

This is the poster child for why people have a negative reaction. They are ignorant and plaster entire genres with bullshit stereotypes.

Don't like metal. Not going to get all angry about it. I just don't like it, in the same way that I just don't like dubstep or house, etc...

Pretty much all I listen to is rock or 'indie' and electro. I don't generally keep up with musical trends. I remember reading somewhere that if you've developed a musical taste by the time you're around 21, because a lot of people don't, they'll just listen to loosely defined pop music, then you'll pretty much keep the same tastes for the rest of your life.

Taerdin:

thedevildancer:
1. i dont like the screaming.
2. i dont like the long fast guitar solo.
3. i dont like how the music has no meaning (music not lyrics) its all just loud and screamy a sad song should have a sad tune.
4. i dont like how its all a sport fastest solo louder music longer hair.
5. i dont like how it all sounds the same.
i dont like metal and neither should you

This is the poster child for why people have a negative reaction. They are ignorant and plaster entire genres with bullshit stereotypes.

there is reason to all stereotypes and its all my opinion i don't like it ok you don't need to get so aggressive and say i'm ignorant an you certainly don't need to be so condescending

Jazoni89:

AnarchistFish:

SilentJay22:

If you want to be more precise, some of those are Deathcore, such as the Devil Wears Prada.

I don't even listen to that sort of music (i'm more of a Shoegazer than anything, it's much better than anything Metal in my personal opinion), and I know what genres most of those bands go in.

The Devil Wears Prada aren't deathcore at all...

AnarchistFish:

Jazoni89:

AnarchistFish:

Oh dear, epic fail on my part, I was thinking of Bring me the horizon or something along those lines.

MonkeyGH:
Rock and metal happen to be two of my favorite musical genres. However, I've noticed that without fail if someone doesn't like rock or metal, it seems to immediately goes beyond simply "I don't like that genre." to something along the lines of "How can you listen to that crap?" or "That music is so offensive!".

How can something be offensive purely based on it's musical content? It doesn't even seem to matter what band is playing the music or what is even being said in the lyrics, offensive or not.

Maybe it's just me, but as a regular listener I've gotten plenty of crap for listening to it.

Thoughts/opinions?

It's not that people think it's offensive. It's that people often associate it with sexually insecure men and annoying emo types. I personally like most metal music but some just annoys me..

Jazoni89:

AnarchistFish:

Jazoni89:

Oh dear, epic fail on my part, I was thinking of Bring me the horizon or something along those lines.

Treading on thin ice...

Bring Me The Horizon's debut album was indeed deathcore, but they're metalcore too now.

Jazoni89:

AnarchistFish:

Jazoni89:

Bring Me the Horizon aren't deathcore anymore :p.

OT: Haters gonna hate, that's really all there is to it.

Promethax:

thedevildancer:

Taerdin:

there is reason to all stereotypes and its all my opinion i don't like it ok you don't need to get so aggressive and say i'm ignorant an you certainly don't need to be so condescending

Are you 12 or something? Metal =/= Screamo. Listen to some Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden and then maybe people won't think of you as a musically stunted ignorant turd.

i don't want to, okay i don't like metal why do you want me to listen to it if i'm only going to hate it.
and who is "people" most "people" don't like metal its to of a extreme genre nobody thinks that of me.

ps.i dont like neither black sabbath nor iron maiden.
pps. i'm 29
ppps. i'm amazed by how many jewish symbols are in metal, for example sabbath(שבת) is the seventh day of the week, Armageddon(הר מיגדו) is the place of the end of the world and just outside baitshemesh in Israel,Behemoth(בהמות) is the hebrew word for beast and many many more.

AnarchistFish:

Jazoni89:

AnarchistFish:

Treading on thin ice...

Bring Me The Horizon's debut album was indeed deathcore, but they're metalcore too now.

I wouldn't know though, I'm only really familiar with their debut album.

Then I assume it's cultural difference because in my country it's not a matter of "bias".

It's usually a journalist talking off his ass and the media makes a huge fuss, and everyone believes it.

A politician was criticized for being a satanist because he listened to Metal. Not Death or Black Metal, or even any weirder stuff. Just plain Metal.

Back when Rammstein released their album, the German media made a big fuss about them being Neo-Nazis.

These are two examples I could think off, and they happened in different countries.

I think it's more of a matter of people believing everything they are told, instead of actually searching.

And I think it's pretty rude to don't say why don't you like a certain kind of music. When I am confronted with that question I am totally honest and explain my gripe with the kind of music, or just admit I never heard anything from that genre.

Not as rude as questioning someone's tastes, but still a little rude.

Rock seems almost universally respected.

Country seems hated by everyone who's not a country fan, and country fans seem to be almost ONLY fans of country.

Rap gets a lot of crap (probably because it's really just noise, not music, a lot of the time).

Classical music is highly respected, but people think you're weird if you just listen to it.

Metal is seen as just angry music for poorly adjusted people or something like that.

Seems to me that most types of music have some type of negative opinion attached to them but, in my experience, Rock and its closely associated genres are pretty universally respected or at least accepted. I assume The Beatles, Elvis, and other huge worldwide phenomenon-type musicians have pretty much made rock the most widely "accepted".
So....yea....I think it's weird that you think a negative opinion of Rock is the norm...
I mean, there's that whole old "rock'n'roll is the Devil's music" thing, but I think the only people who might still take that seriously are going to be the same religious nutjobs who think D&D is Satanic....

Alkaline:

No, they think of this:

If the drummer closed his snare drum, I'd actually rather enjoy that. As it is, the constant ringing is too St Anger-ish for my ears.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked