Where do/did/will you go to college?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

University of Waikato, New Zealand. I'm in my fourth and final year of a Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences. I'm going for and hoping to get my honours. :)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

You know, coz I've never seen anyone ever look up references on CV's. :P

I went to UWIC, university of wales institute cardiff. although I do not think it is that may more.

Starting Uni tomorrow at the University of the Sunshine Coast. Majoring in Japanese. Wish me luck.

Currently 2/4 years at Edinburgh University, studying politics. The actual subject is good, but the people studying and teaching it have their heads up their arses so much it is unreal. Don't know what that says about me.

It's free though, so I can't complain.

High School Senior here in sunny delicious Queensland. If all goes well (I passed my Cert II with flying colours) then I'll have a Certificate IV in Creative Industries by the time I leave high school, at which point some friends and I will move to Canberra to complete this:

http://www.aie.edu.au/courses/3d_animation_for_film_tv/ad_dip_screen_vfx.html

Which I will storm through because that's what everyone with a Cert IV in CI does because you'll already know half the things they teach. After that, I'll find a job working for a games company (preferably 2K or Micro Forte, which both have close links with the AIEs Canberra campus).

And if somewhere along the line, that fails, I have Maths, Physics and Engineering to lead me to an Apprenticeship, University Qualification or OP 3-10 Career.

And failing that, I have English in case I ever want to move to Europe and become a hippy.

I am currently a second year student doing Japanese Studies at the University of Manchester, currently famous for its work on Graphene, the "miracle material" of the 21st century, showing great promise of becoming the most important material of the future, rivalling silicone in importance :3

DTU - Technical University of Denmark, studying mechanical engineering..

It is the university I wished to attend, and the right line of study as well. And hey, I'm getting payed to study there! Gotta love Denmark sometimes.

Dundee University, Scotland.

Fourth year and I still havn't been mugged :D

I'm currently a student at York University (North Yorkshire, England), and studying English Literature. The plan is to go on to do post-grad courses abroad, preferably in America, before lecturing, but in case that falls through I'm keeping my hand in journalism, creative writing and music as well.

UCD but I don't think that is applicable since I'm in Ireland but I am doing Engineering here.

Hoping to go to Abertay university and study programming, And if my prelim results say anything, I'm on my way to going there :D

Macquarie University, Bachelor of Arts in Ancient History.

Only you can't get a job with that, so:

Ultimo TAFE, Diploma of Library and Information Services

Only you can't get a job with that, so currently studying:

Hornsby TAFE, Cert III in Information and Communications Technology.

Cost me $53 for my ICT course, something similar for my Library course (in that I'm unemployed, something like $360 otherwise), and my university degree will cost me a few thousand dollars, but only once I get a job paying above a certain amount.

I Start the the University of South Australia next week.

I'm probably going to either the University of Northern Iowa or Wartburg College. I'm not sure what I want to do yet though.

Graduated from University of Cambridge a few years ago with an MEng in electronic engineering. Also completed a law degree part time with the Open University, and the quality of teaching was substantially better than that at cambridge!

I am at hull univeristy, hull england. I am doing the least inspired choice going of business studies. you need 260 points, and i got 300 so not sure why i went here but i do enjoy it so all is well.

Aesthetical Quietus:
University of Waikato, New Zealand. I'm in my fourth and final year of a Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences. I'm going for and hoping to get my honours. :)

Bro, my third year here. BCMS, shootin to get into HONS here myself. Did you go to Global Game Jam? We've probably met before. :P

You doing COMP436/536 this year?

Queensland University of Technology, doing IT.
I start orientation tomorrow.

BlackStar42:
Currently studying Chemistry at Reading, England. So far, pretty good, but carbonyl chemistry is a major pain in the arse.

What?! Why?! Carbonyl chemistry is one of the cornerstones of organic synthesis after all!

OT: Imperial College London Dept Chem (class of 2009)

I'm planning on going to Princeton. My school has huge connections there and it would be a good fit for me.

I'm about to start my second year at the University of Western Australia doing a Bachelor of Science. I'm enjoying it so far, although my low grades in first year was a bit of a kick up the arse. At high school, I did no study outside of class and graduated in the top 5% of the state. It seems University won't be quite as easy.

I'm currently studying first year history at Teesside University in Middlesbrough.

Im going for Computer engineering at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies! :D

Napierdalac:

It is the university I wished to attend, and the right line of study as well. And hey, I'm getting payed to study there! Gotta love Denmark sometimes.

Wait wait wait. You get PAID to study in Denmark? Over here it's the other bloody way around!

MedTech College for Medical Lab Tech

SenorStocks:
Graduated from University of Cambridge a few years ago with an MEng in electronic engineering. Also completed a law degree part time with the Open University, and the quality of teaching was substantially better than that at cambridge!

What was your experience like doing EE? Was it enjoyable?

Anything you can tell me about it would be interesting.

Matthew94:

SenorStocks:

What was your experience like doing EE? Was it enjoyable?

Anything you can tell me about it would be interesting.

Yeah sure, if you've got any particular questions then PM me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Generally I enjoyed my time on the course and I found it stimulating and challenging, but honestly, it put me off wanting to actually become an engineer after graduating and I wasn't the only one. I'd estimate around 2/3 of the people on the course went and did something completely different as a career (I ended up a trader at an investment bank, my friends ended up doing things like patent attorney, accountant, investment banker, teacher, helicopter pilot in the navy, solicitor) but it's a fantastic degree to have regardless of what career you want at the end of it.

On the course itself, be prepared to sit through a lot of lectures in the first couple of years (around 20-25 per week). You'll have more lectures than pretty much every other course but outside of lectures there isn't a huge amount of work to do and you'll get to know your coursemates a lot better. Although engineering is a practical subject, you will spend the majority of your time learning theory and doing maths, and I know a few people who came into the course thinking that it was going to be very hands-on and they were disappointed.

Lab sessions are a lot of fun and it's a really good feeling when you get something to work as it should and see the theory in action and where it differs from reality. You will also do a large group design project each year which again is a lot of fun, but are unbelievably stressful towards the end when you're under a lot of time pressure. You really need to work in a decent group to get the most out of them.

In your final year you do a research project, which is incredibly daunting at first but is enjoyable and gives you a great opportunity to learn a lot about an area of your choice. My project was on high performance embedded computer systems and I actually got to design and manufacture an embedded computer from scratch which used an FPGA as its processor and I managed to get it so that the hardware adapted itself in the field to optimise the execution of whatever program it was running. It was a genuinely great experience to see it working.

Before starting the course I would seriously consider doing further maths if you're not already, at least to AS level. It will help a lot over the whole course. Also, you will inevitably have to do some programming so try and find out which language your uni will use and start learning it now. Programming is typically the area that people struggle with, and it's extremely useful to have a background knowledge when you start. Typically for EE you'll use C or C++. At Cambridge we started with C, then moved to C++ but also looked at idealised assembler, lisp, haskell, TREEMETA (a compiler writing language) and VHDL (although it's strictly a hardware description language, not a programming language).

Hope that helps, like I say, if you've got any other questions give me a shout.

BlackStar42:

Napierdalac:

Wait wait wait. You get PAID to study in Denmark? Over here it's the other bloody way around!

Indeed we do.. The goverment pays us around 5500 danish kroner (little less than 1000 USD) per month, while studying. It's not much, but it pays rent, food, beer and my car.. If we need more money, we can borrow from the state, at a very low rate also.

Napierdalac:

BlackStar42:

Napierdalac:

Indeed we do.. The goverment pays us around 5500 danish kroner (little less than 1000 USD) per month, while studying. It's not much, but it pays rent, food, beer and my car.. If we need more money, we can borrow from the state, at a very low rate also.

Any idea whether or not I'd get that if I went to study in Denmark as part of ERASMUS?

Senior in High School.
Prolly going into Engineering, prolly doing UC San Diego.

Ricky 49:
I go to Brighton University in... Brighton, England.
I study the history of philosophy
i got well under the grades needed but i wowed em on the interview :)

Yeeeah represent! I went to Brighton Uni 2001-2004 and studied Biomedical Science. Loved Brighton so much that I still live here now!

Question for the US-ians: What's the difference between a "state" university and a... "not-state" university. For example, University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University. Is it the type of courses? Or the prestige? I watch college football, so I have always wondered this.

Majoring in Finance, Minoring in Music at the University of South Florida. Go Bulls!

robot slipper:

Ricky 49:
I go to Brighton University in... Brighton, England.
I study the history of philosophy
i got well under the grades needed but i wowed em on the interview :)

Yeeeah represent! I went to Brighton Uni 2001-2004 and studied Biomedical Science. Loved Brighton so much that I still live here now!

Question for the US-ians: What's the difference between a "state" university and a... "not-state" university. For example, University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University. Is it the type of courses? Or the prestige? I watch college football, so I have always wondered this.

They're both public universities. The "State" title doesn't innately mean anything in terms of quality of classes or whatnot. Most states have many public universities, the public just means that the school gets some public funding and then offers better tuition rates to in-state students typically. The names typically don't represent anything about the school unless it's to represent something about the school's area of expertise (eg. Virginia Tech or Texas A&M).

That said, it generally works out that most "University of X" schools are better than "X State University." The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Ohio State

Glass Joe the Champ:
Hey guys, I'm a Junior in high school, and I just got back from a few college visits, and I was just wondering where people are/did/plan to go to college and what they major/majored/plan to major in.

Personally, I want to be an engineer of some sort, and I'm hoping to make it into Stanford or Berkeley, but that's probably not going to happen. I have an SAT score of 2220 which is good, but I'm nowhere near the top of my class. I'll probably end up just going to a state school like A&M since I live in Texas. :/

So what colleges are you guys looking at, attending or attended?

If you get a 2220 on your SATs, you might be surprised where that could get you. College admissions are very much a roll of the dice these days. I got a 2250 on the SATs myself, and I got into some very good schools and I got rejected from some less impressive schools. I don't know the rest of your high school resume, so if that's a little weak then Stanford may be a bit of a reach, but if your grades are adequate and you have decent extracurriculars, then you have a decent shot at getting in, and you should apply regardless

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked