Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse and How long?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What I would probably do is to go stock up on food and guns.Then find a safe house with a few people(think i would go insane if I traveled alone).And find a shelter and slowly make my way to safety,drifting slowly to safe house to safe house.If there isn't a safe area, I would reunite the survivors and establish a fort.

I would probably survive for 264 days.(its just a random estimate) I can only operate hand guns(almost bust my teeth with a rifle)

The perfect plan falls apart the second you try to implement it so I'd wing it. Probably do the same thing as everyone else, find somewhere that has supplies and long avenues of approach and open up on anything (anything, more people means supplies run out faster) that comes into range.

Survival depends on a lot of factors, I recently moved from a heavily populated city so the odds went up a little.

I think it's all about the first week or so, the mass panic and chaos where anything can happen, most people if they can survive then they have a good chance of making it through the apocalypse. I'm in a rural area so that helps, but I'm also next to a hospital so there's that.

usmarine4160:
The perfect plan falls apart the second you try to implement it so I'd wing it.

This pretty much, my car's full of gas, I have a gun. Beyond that it's all luck.

I will go up into space and live with my new catgirl wife and kids on the moon.
That is my plan for all disasters, including the Sharkcarpocalypse.

Trust me. The Shark-Cars will rise. And there will be blood in the streets.
But I'll be on the moon with my goddamned space lasers, and no-one will be able to touch me.
Except my wife and kids.

I'll just use my zombie master ray that I will invent and perfect in the first 10 minutes after the zombies start to rise and then the entire zombie population will serve my need and be of no threat to anyone I care about.

wing it...

if those idiots from shaun of the dead can "mostly" survive then I can

The "Zombie Treadmill" defence

And the usual stock up on food, guns and other supplies as well.

Either that or the Dead Rising strategy which is duct-tape anything I can find together, even if whatever comes out makes no sense, and start swinging. This may or may not include going around in a random assortment of clothing.

A few days before I died of Internet Withdrawal Syndrome. It's too late for me D=

But honestly, I doubt I'd survive very long. And really I wouldn't have very much to look forward to anyway. A world where I'm just trying to survive? All the things I enjoyed before are gone? Meh. Is it worth the struggle at that point given the incredibly lowered quality of life?

I'll admit I've given more thought to this than many people. It's become a sort of hobby, I've made disaster preparedness fun through incorporating zombies into my standard "Shit has hit the fan" survival plan.

Firstly my real life reasoning: Western Canada sits uncomfortably close to a fault line that, while currently stable, may not be so indefinitely, large scale earthquakes can wreak havoc on unprepared infrastructure (See, San Fransisco). And Canada is laughably unprepared for an event of any large scale. Secondly, and closer to home, The area I live in is prone to flooding in hte early spring when ice flows clog the river. It hasn't overflowed it's banks to any major extent recently, but I have ben put on evacuation alert twice since I moved here.

Naturally, with those situations in mind, it's my responsibility as an intelligent human being who values his continued existance to be prepared for two scenarios, Firstly, I need to be prepared to vacate my house at a moment's notice, taking essential things I will need to survive several days at an aid shelter. and secondly, I need to be prepared for a near total collapse of local infrastructure for an unknown period of time, this figures things such as stocking food, water, and medical supplies. to ammo. While the last might seem extreme, I feel I need to be prepared to defend myself from people who may become desperate if aid does not arrive quickly.

How zombies fit into my plan is simple, I plan to bunker down in my home, with my trusty shotgun and enough supplies to last several weeks without power, running water, or heat. After that, well I might be in trouble, but here's hoping that it doesn't come to that.

Well i got a decent food supply, tools to board up my house and several plans to get out of dodge (i have a lot of thinking time at work)
So i would say I'm pretty well prepared for the zombie apocalypse

As for time limit?

Zombie apocalypse begins in spring or summer: a year at the least
Winter: 1 month minimal (winters can get pretty harsh here)

theAlfaBlade:
What I would probably do is to go stock up on food and guns.

Too late. Come the apocalypse, everyone's zombie plan involves this, all the obvious places will be full of other net dwellers trying to do the same thing.

Now, if everyone there decides to form an army and hole up together in some defensible location, that'd make much more sense, only it wouldn't really be an apocalypse.

I would not survive the zombie outbreak because as every movie and tv show has taught us, only the retarded survive for some reason.

Well if some of those morons in the "Walking Dead" could make it then I stand a good chance of making it.

Regnes:
I would not survive the zombie outbreak because as every movie and tv show has taught us, only the retarded survive for some reason.

Yeah, it's weird that. Also, you never tend to see gay people survive, and certainly not trans. Presumably the zombies target them first.

If your a straight white conventionally attractive everyman, and you are worried that zombies might attack, do NOT sit next to a gay guy on the bus, they'll go for him first, and then you'll be right next to him.

thaluikhain:
Yeah, it's weird that. Also, you never tend to see gay people survive, and certainly not trans. Presumably the zombies target them first

Yeah it would be great to see a gay or lesbian protagonist in a zombie apocalypse. There was a gay character in Crossed who surivived for most of the series a while but that's all I can think of.

If I can survive the initial "99% of humanity gets bum rushed" stage, yeah I think I'd do alright. I've got enough survival chops to do okay, and enough hand-to-hand knowledge to avoid getting eaten too easily.

However, I tend be too clever for my own good, and so my brains should be extra tasty.

Secure my housing development. We've got a gated community so once the dead have been forcibly removed from the premises I'd have myself a little fortress. Then there's all the food inside the homes too so I could hold out for quite a while. And if worse comes to worse I got a hatchet and a long sleeved, hooded jacket so I could fight my way out if need be.

Plane B; "Borrow" one of those carnival cruise ships, mobile fortress!

WolfThomas:

thaluikhain:
Yeah, it's weird that. Also, you never tend to see gay people survive, and certainly not trans. Presumably the zombies target them first

Yeah it would be great to see a gay or lesbian protagonist in a zombie apocalypse. There was a gay character in Crossed who surivived for most of the series a while but that's all I can think of.

Do gay people taste better or something?

But yeah, comes across as a bit weird...everyone loves zombie apocalypses, and when the zombies come teh gays disappear...hang on...

hmmm i'm a sociopath with 8 years of actual combat training/experience and own more weapons than any one person should be rightfully allowed to... I'll be fine

the sociopath part is a real plus cause I constantly see in movies people get eaten when they stutter at killing a kid/loved one/friend who is turning...

Throw my love ones into the horde. They're my weakest link so might as well get them all killed.

Oh and 56 years...I'm very optimistic about the walking dead.

thaluikhain:
But yeah, comes across as a bit weird...everyone loves zombie apocalypses, and when the zombies come teh gays disappear...hang on...

Hmm there was a gay organ player in Dawn of the Dead (the remake). There's a gay couple atm in the Walking Dead who haven't been killed off, they're portrayed normally too. But yeah they're rare, pretty darn rare.

Actually i've come up with a theory to the zombie apocalypse. Its not very realistic. I mean if the zombies are the slow ones, then fuck people would be teasing them and shit. Who actually thinks that the military does not have the ability to kill about 100 innocent people. If there the fast type then fuck, how does the military not have the ability to destroy an entire city if possible to preserve to fate of humanity (unless they're all massive cowards). I could explain this in detail, but I just dont feel like it. I think the amount of people who have seen a zombie movie/series/game is pretty high, so they would be cautious (unless they're just dumbfucks). Also how does one actually think that they can make zombies, I mean its pretty absurd (the closest possible reality is the husks in mass effect but even then thats pretty absurd). I think the entire zombie genre is just stupid imo.

Oh...hang out with Milla Jovovich.

She's OtT good at fighting zombies, but also it doesn't look like she eats anything, ever, and she doesn't appear to mind wearing stupid clothes, so no arguing during the looting.

I don't think I'd last very long, I mean last time I wound up in a survival situation I didn't eat anything nor slept nor found shelter and that was 5 days, so I better be realistic, I 'd probably would be one of those guys that dies on the 2nd or 3rd day mostly because he didn't even notice.

Step 1: grab trusty crowbar (they could be zombies of the headcrab variety)
Step 2: ??????
Step 3: profit or $$$ (sorry couldn't resist)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lets start over
Step 1: grab trusty crowbar
Step 2: grab friends and family and my friend's family can't have my friends moping about all the time that wouldn't be fun
Step 3: find a mall
Step 4: barricade and clear the mall of zombies
Step 5: befriend the guy barricaded himself in the store across the street
Step 6: attempt to rescue my new friend in some sort of improvised armored bus created in montage
Step 7: fail epicly because some little detail we overlooked

estimated survival time 4 min and 36 seconds

what.... i work fast.

Depends on the kind of zombies we're talking about.

If they're slow, walking ones all I need to do is devise some kind of plan to keep them away from the car while I stock up on food. A thousand ramens later, the whole thing has blown over.

If they're fast, running ones well I'd either die screaming 'CHOKE ON 'EM!' or in a fiery explosion because beating eaten alive isn't fun.

GethBall:
Actually i've come up with a theory to the zombie apocalypse. Its not very realistic. I mean if the zombies are the slow ones, then fuck people would be teasing them and shit. Who actually thinks that the military does not have the ability to kill about 100 innocent people. If there the fast type then fuck, how does the military not have the ability to destroy an entire city if possible to preserve to fate of humanity (unless they're all massive cowards). I could explain this in detail, but I just dont feel like it. I think the amount of people who have seen a zombie movie/series/game is pretty high, so they would be cautious (unless they're just dumbfucks). Also how does one actually think that they can make zombies, I mean its pretty absurd (the closest possible reality is the husks in mass effect but even then thats pretty absurd). I think the entire zombie genre is just stupid imo.

I'd agree with that.

The only way it could work is if you have evil magicians behind it...you need someone like that to give orders to the mindless rabble, and you need intelligent undead troops to bolster them.

Zombies would be good for clearing minefields, tempting the enemy to giving away their positions (by firing) and creating distractions. Otherwise, more or less nothing.

ocelot0222222:
Secure my housing development. We've got a gated community so once the dead have been forcibly removed from the premises I'd have myself a little fortress. Then there's all the food inside the homes too so I could hold out for quite a while. And if worse comes to worse I got a hatchet and a long sleeved, hooded jacket so I could fight my way out if need be.

Not that I'd want to stereotype people in housing developments that wear hoods, but, yeah, I don't see zombies being a problem.

On a related note, I could go west if I feel threatened. Zombies are much less scary than people in the Riff.

Grab some friends

Go to walmart

Board up the place

Enjoy life for a few months

Food runs dry

Go to Alaska

WIN

Get my dads's boat, fishing gear and guns, and try to find an isolated house, preferably on a small island in the middle of a lake or river. Focus on stocking up with all of the canned and dehydrated foods, medicine and tools we can find in the surrounding area, as well as catch as many fish as possible until winter. Wait until the following spring.

I figure that one winter in Canada will do a decent job of destroying most of the zombies. By then the gasoline in the boat and car will be useless, so bicycles will be our only option. We'll start travelling east, intent on reaching one of the island provinces. Prince Edward Island is 13 kilometres from the main land, and the only way in or out is flying, boating, or crossing a two-lane bridge that will hopefully be guarded by the military.

If my family and I can't find sanctuary there, then we'll continue travelling east toward Newfoundland. Getting to that island will be much more difficult, considering that a trip on the ferry takes 6 hours, but the odds of zombies being there would be very slim.

If the zombie virus isn't limited to the human species, then there is no hope. Zombie birds, rodents, insects, fish, dogs, cats, horses, cows, bears, wolves, deer, elk, moose and cougars will make survival impossible for anyone without a fallout shelter.

I live in the middle of nowhere. Farms everywhere, livestock everywhere, right by the sea so plenty of sustainable food. I know enough farmers, and enough about it myself to at least raise chickens to eat and grow a decent amount of veg. I have a huge assortment of blunt instruments of assorted shapes and sizes, a fair amount of fighting experience, martial arts training and have a near-genius level IQ. I know IQ doesn't mean that much, but I would still like to think I am fairly intelligent and resourceful. I think I would survive the whole thing. The only problem is, I don't think my friends and family would, and I couldn't live with that if certain people died.

move to russia, i dont think the zombies will be able to move if there frozen.
or if it winter do fuck all because they will freze in good old viking sweden.

Well, I wouldn't go so well, being a fat man. I may be a bit more agile than your average fat man, but I am still a fat man. Australia doesn't have much in the way of guns, and my car isn't exactly what you would call economical.

How long can the zombies survive? I reckon I could hold out 2 weeks or so in here.

Or I dunno. What kind of zombies are we talking here? Amazing predators with a great sense of smell or dumbass ones that act on sight?

Probably for a while but not for a long time (I'm not exactly in top shape so I most likely to died from a heart attack whne trying to run away from a zombie horde).
I make sure to avoid the typical cliche in the zombie movies and come up with my own ideas (make a make shift suit out of duck tape since zombie can't bite it but it will still hurt).

I'd just stay in the house, block up the windows, and wait for them to rot.

Really, they're essentially walking corpses. They will rot pretty damn fast, especially if it's in summer.

and if it's in Winter, they'll freeze since they have no body heat.

If it's inbetween, well then I'll just have a slightly longer wait. =P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked