Woman burned alive for being a witch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html

I hope those responsible are burned at the stake themselves. They killed the woman right in front of her daughter.

meh shit happens ... it's a fucked up world whatta you gonna do

you can't stop people from doing horrible and stupid things... at least not short of committing some horrible acts yourself to force them

Superstition can make people do some crazy things, eh?

Well her children got one million rupees, do you know how many Hyrulean shields you could buy with that shit?

There are some crazy people in some crazy places in this world. Guess we can't keep an eye on all of them all of the time...although this is quite ridiculous.

Religious people doing stupid things that end up hurting/killing people?

Wow...that's SO new!

Saucycarpdog:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html

I hope those responsible are burned at the stake themselves. They killed the woman right in front of her daughter.

Beat you to it by 5 hours.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.351436-Nepalese-woman-accused-of-witchcraft-burned-alive#13907511

The response time sure is slow around here.

Tanis:

Wow...that's SO new!

Please tell me you mean Extremists......

Regnes:
Well her children got one million rupees, do you know how many Hyrulean shields you could buy with that shit?

Too soon man!

Ok I laughed a bit =P

But seriously, 14.000$ is crap =/
For something of that scale, I'd say she deserved a lot more. I mean her mother just got burned alive in front of her and there giving her just enough to buy a car.

Serves her right for being a witch.

I'm just waiting for this to happen in America. Then we'll be able to say with complete seriousness: ''AMERICANS''.

Well, to be fair, she was a witch, so it was coming.

No seriously though, thats terrible. But what can you do? Educate people I guess.

im more Shocked that people are still mindless slaves to a Religion. SOME Religious people are mindless drones thinking they are obeying God's will, really there no worst then criminals.

Last time i checked it wasn't 1692.

So Nepal is a few decades behind for some people?
While her daughter did get the cash but I'm pretty sure her mother death will scared her.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

No seriously though, thats terrible. But what can you do? Educate people I guess.

I think it did happen in America, cough Salem Witch trails cough cough. Mind you Europeans shouldn't throw stones over this...

370999:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I think it did happen in America, cough Salem Witch trails cough cough. Mind you Europeans shouldn't throw stones over this...

Sorry, I dont think I understand what you are trying to say. Clarify?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

370999:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

We (the West) did burn women who we accussed of witchcraft.

You said you wished it happened in the US so you could say Americans and it of course did happen in the US, the Salem witch trails being the famous example

Durgiun:
I'm just waiting for this to happen in America. Then we'll be able to say with complete seriousness: ''AMERICANS''.

Dont be ridiculous Americans would never burn anyone for being a witch. they do communists and black people!

zumbledum:

Durgiun:

Dont be ridiculous Americans would never burn anyone for being a witch. they do communists and black people!

And homosexuals, don't forget them.

370999:
You said you wished it happened in the US so you could say Americans and it of course did happen in the US, the Salem witch trails being the famous example

IIRC, no witches were burned at Salem. A number of people were hanged, though.

That might sound like a quibble, but...well, in parts of Europe, if people played nice they'd be strangled before being burned, as it was much more humane.

Hanging people is barbaric, but burning them alive is much worse.

Durgiun:

zumbledum:

Durgiun:

And homosexuals, don't forget them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that already happen in America? You know, the whole Salem witch trails and The Crucible.

370999:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

370999:

We (the West) did burn women who we accussed of witchcraft.

I think you are mistaking me with Durgian. He said that, I did not, or at least I did not mean to so either you are interpreting my post wrong or this is indeed a mix up.

And the crow calls the raven black!!! A SHAMAN accused the woman of being a witch...teh feck?!

Wow, truly terrible.

goddammit!

why does the church not pull out the sticks out of their asses, educate people that killing > suspicion of witchcraft and they all will go to hell for it.

that shit and indian widow burnings pisses of my day whenever i hear about an incident.

people in africa should be educated more.
this would reduce any oharm caused by mystical mumbo jumbo humbug.

seriously someone should educate them.

S1leNt RIP:
And the crow calls the raven black!!! A SHAMAN accused the woman of being a witch...teh feck?!

Wow, truly terrible.

yeah. it kind of funny that witchdoctors are ok but witches are not.

Barbarians! I hope the murderers to be punished with the hardest possible way.

Regnes:

ahh dude i couldnt stop laughing after reading your post nice work

Trezu:
im more Shocked that people are still mindless slaves to a Religion. SOME Religious people are mindless drones thinking they are obeying God's will, really there no worst then criminals.

Last time i checked it wasn't 1692.

Yeah because in a modern country like America in 2012, it would be totally possible to, say, be an atheist and have a chance at being the President. Oh wait, no, religion still does have a medieval hold over some spheres of modern life.

It never ceases to amaze me that, in this day and age, things like this still happen. I understand that area of the world is still relatively primitive. I also understand that religious fervor can make people do some pretty psychotic things. But, seriously?

They Burned A Family Member To Death Because The Local Clergy Told Them She Was A Witch!

I swear.. The more I hear about the human race, the more I believe in evolution. We're all barely a step from being poop throwing monkeys.

I'm quite disgusted with some of the reactions here. An innocent woman got burned. That is not funny.

OT: I wish I could say this surprised me. I hope they make an example out of the people who are responsible for this. And I'm not talking about burning them like they did that poor woman. That is too quick a death for them. Time to go really old school on them. Nail them to a cross in public and let them suffer in the sun!

I don't mind religion in general but it's things like these that sometimes make me hate it. People killing other people over pure fiction. And in such a horrible way. Bah! Makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong. Religion has it's good things too. Acts like these just sometimes make those good things hard to see.

Not sure if it's too insensitive to make a Monty Python joke.

Probably is, won't say anything more.

Terminate421:

Tanis:

Wow...that's SO new!

Please tell me you mean Extremists......

"Moderates" see human sacrifice as a good thing. They celebrate a man's conviction to follow the voice in his head to the point of gutting his own son. The main difference is how far you're willing to go in the name of your professed beliefs.

Moderates are better to be sure, but don't even imply that one is completely different from the other.

iseko:
I'm quite disgusted with some of the reactions here. An innocent woman got burned. That is not funny.

The burning part isn't funny, the joke is.

It's Nepal. They're currently trying to establish a Communist Government. They had a Civil war for years and have only recently got out of it. Of course Extremists are gonna do crud like this. The important thing to remember, however, is that A majority of Religious people, don't do these things.

Psht, only in Asia...

(Sarcasm for those who don't quite get it)

What the...?! I thought we were past this sort of thing, people! Geez! (Facepalms) When did we start backsliding into the Dark Ages?!

I had hoped that this article would be a joke or play on words

I was extremely disappointed.

and people tell me "faith" never hurt anyone

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked