Woman burned alive for being a witch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Came into this thread almost expecting....."and Rick Santorum supports this"

Seriously, this sucks that stuff like this still happens in the 21st century. But I don't see any easy way to stop it from happening, other than a whole lot of education..

CrazyGirl17:
What the...?! I thought we were past this sort of thing, people! Geez! (Facepalms) When did we start backsliding into the Dark Ages?!

Kim Jong-il died. He was the only thing holding the civilized world together, chaos theory and all of that.

As horrible as this is, I am surprised that no one linked to this video.

Weird that this still happens these days. It's what you get for not properly educating people.

Hammeroj:
"Moderates" see human sacrifice as a good thing. They celebrate a man's conviction to follow the voice in his head to the point of gutting his own son. The main difference is how far you're willing to go in the name of your professed beliefs.

And those are the extremists. The ones who pull this shit. Trust me, us "Normal" religious types are just as disgusted by this as everyone else.
---

OT: Eh, the only reason this is getting news coverage is because "Religion does it again!" sounds good. This kind of shit happens all over the world with no religion involved with barely any coverage.

inbefore someone says to me "HURR American AND religious? That's why *insert country/religion here* is so much better!" Seriously, the anti-American guys on this site are getting unoriginal.

Bastards! What do they have against us witches? I hope she cursed their blood or something.

Disgusting.
And because I have to say more because of low content rule:
This is ridiculous, seriously, the kind of stuff people do when indoctrinated in superstition is outrageous and aprehensable.

She turned me into a newt...

...I got better.

OT - Yeah, the world doesn't all move at the same speed and these kinds of superstitions cling on in all sorts of places.

waj9876:
And those are the extremists. The ones who pull this shit. Trust me, us "Normal" religious types are just as disgusted by this as everyone else.

But generally far more willing to approve of it, or at least stand by and do nothing.

The potential for crimes like these exists in any religious community, because you have a 'holy cause' and after that it's a matter of time before someone thinks of a goal related to the cause that justifies the means.

Get raped in an extremely Christian village today, and you still get banished from it for instance. And if the one who did it is a member of high standing like a priest, a church elder or someone 'in front' at church, you're also expected to shut up about it. It's not as far away from 'she didn't wear a veil, so she deserved it' as many Christians would like to believe.
Although if you're lucky, people won't disapprove of pressing charges against your rapist, but the stigma and disapproval is still the victim's.
And no, that's not assumption, that's something which happened. A church elder told me of it proudly, how he 'fixed it', and was actually rather surprised when I swore I would never deal with him again in any shape or form.

waj9876:
This kind of shit happens all over the world with no religion involved with barely any coverage.

So people kill from religious beliefs, without having religious beliefs? Sounds interesting. Good luck naming examples.

waj9876:

Hammeroj:
"Moderates" see human sacrifice as a good thing. They celebrate a man's conviction to follow the voice in his head to the point of gutting his own son. The main difference is how far you're willing to go in the name of your professed beliefs.

---

OT: Eh, the only reason this is getting news coverage is because "Religion does it again!" sounds good. This kind of shit happens all over the world with no religion involved with barely any coverage.

inbefore someone says to me "HURR American AND religious? That's why *insert country/religion here* is so much better!" Seriously, the anti-American guys on this site are getting unoriginal.

My point is that you can't call one insane without doing the same for the other. In fact, you can infer more sanity in someone who, say, believes a certain book was dictated by god and follows it through and through as opposed to someone who says that same book was dictated by god and chooses to cherry pick whatever he likes the most out of it.

Actually, there are mountains of cases that have little to nothing to do with religion and still get basically worldwide coverage. You might be correct about why this particular case was ever brought up, but your premise of "this kind of shit happens all over the world with no religion involved with barely any coverage" is downright false. This is you downplaying an issue.

Originality has nothing to do with the validity of an argument/claim.

Its weird how a lot of places in the world are still stuck in the dark ages.

iseko:

I don't mind religion in general but it's things like these that sometimes make me hate it. People killing other people over pure fiction. And in such a horrible way. Bah! Makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong. Religion has it's good things too. Acts like these just sometimes make those good things hard to see.

People do stupid shit constantly, religion is merely a wayward justification. If religion weren't there, they'd find some other justification to be stupid assholes.

Would it be better if the woman was burned for monetary or political purposes (which I suspect are closer to the true reasons)? I somehow doubt she or her children would care.

This seems to be the fault of ignorance. Also to a lesser extent, religion.

There are not enough facepalms in the world to sum up that story. Sigh what a waste of life. and over something THAT ungodly stupid.

honestdiscussioner:

How can an abstract system of beliefs be culpable in a death? If people stop killing for the glory of their God, they'll just start killing for the glory of their nation or the glory of themselves like everyone else. And the result is still the same: innocent people dead.

Moosejaw:

iseko:

I don't mind religion in general but it's things like these that sometimes make me hate it. People killing other people over pure fiction. And in such a horrible way. Bah! Makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong. Religion has it's good things too. Acts like these just sometimes make those good things hard to see.

People do stupid shit constantly, religion is merely a wayward justification. If religion weren't there, they'd find some other justification to be stupid assholes.

Would it be better if the woman was burned for monetary or political purposes (which I suspect are closer to the true reasons)? I somehow doubt she or her children would care.

Without religion, it would be one less crazy justification for killing people, and that's the whole point. Also, your assertion that without religion people would still kill each other just the same is downright false, as evidenced by the statistical fact that the least religious countries in, at least, western society, have the lowest criminal rates in the entire world.

The bolded part probably means that you either haven't been around religious people enough or are religious yourself and are rationalising your beliefs. Religions shape people's perception of reality, don't you dare tell anyone they're "merely" anything.

Moosejaw:

Not really. The chance of criminal behaviour is a given, governed by various factors.

Add religion, and suddenly you add another reason to commit crimes, namely sectarian crimes or crimes to enforce religious doctrine. It's mathematically impossible for religious people to show lower crime rates ceteris paribus.

Moosejaw:

honestdiscussioner:

How can an abstract system of beliefs be culpable in a death? If people stop killing for the glory of their God, they'll just start killing for the glory of their nation or the glory of themselves like everyone else. And the result is still the same: innocent people dead.

Of course there are OTHER reasons to kill, but your statement assumes that anyone for a particular reason still would have killed for another reason had their original motivation not existed. This I think is false. While people will continue to kill for other reasons, without an abstract system of beliefs that leads to gross ignorance, many others will be spared the consequences of such belief systems.

iseko:
I'm quite disgusted with some of the reactions here. An innocent woman got burned. That is not funny.

What happened isn't funny, and I don't think the people who are making jokes think that it's funny that an innocent woman got burned. For some people, humor is a way of coping with horrible situations. Some people express their feelings by getting angry or outraged at what happened, some cry and try to understand how something like that could happen in the first place, and others diffuse it by pointing out the absurdity of the whole thing. They're all perfectly natural and valid reactions, even if not everyone agrees with each other. Different personalities and whatnot.

Saucycarpdog:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html

I hope those responsible are burned at the stake themselves. They killed the woman right in front of her daughter.

The article doesn't say she was burned at the stake, she was just beaten up and doused in kerosene.

There's a big difference between burning someone at the stake and what took place in the article, it's not the grand Medieval public spectacle you're making it out to be.

People get burned alive by mobs quite frequently all over the world, but no one has been burned at the stake for probably hundreds of years.

Ah, humanity.

This saddens me, but I suppose we've got to take the ups and the downs. Humans will be humans. At least the guilty have been apprehended by local authorities. I guess there's nothing more to be done, then.

CrazyGirl17:
What the...?! I thought we were past this sort of thing, people! Geez! (Facepalms) When did we start backsliding into the Dark Ages?!

Keep in mind that some people never got out of the Dark Ages.

CrazyGirl17:

My thoughts exactly. I was just singing along to Bob Dylan, mindin' my own business, when i saw this thread. I literally whispered to myself "what the fu.."

I can say i was genuinely surprised, at people's idiocy, but when i saw it was in Nepal, i did figure it was possible.. They aren't as ahead as many other countries in that area.

Behold, another good reason to fund education and infrastructure development in the third world.
If this can't motivate people to get up and start looking into how we can improve the quality of life in more nations other than our own, I can't imagine much else will.

Just want to point out that the topic title is wrong.

She wasn't burned at the stake. They beat the crap out of her, threw kerosene on her and then set her on fire. It's not like the village tried her and then killed her, it was a small bunch of retards that did it.

Now that I've said that...WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE?!?! Witches? Spells to make people sick?! SERIOUSLY?! I understand Nepal isn't exactly science capital of the world, but REALLY? How the hell does ANYONE still believe that shit?

At least they're all being charged with murder. If any of them would have gotten away with it, I would be beyond infuriated.

excuse me everyone but technically shamanism isn't a religeon. a shaman is basically a spirit healer and the term can be applied to most healers of the sort

sorry, couldn't help myself

Tanis:
Religious people doing stupid things that end up hurting/killing people?

Wow...that's SO new!

Come off it. It's not the religions that make people do stupid things--religions are just an excuse for them to do something they would have done anyway.

If power invariably corrupts, then I think it says something about the species being given that power, even moreso than it does the nature of power itself. People have shown me time and time again that they will act horrible to each other at the slightest provocation. I can't believe y'all are surprised.

VincentX3:
But seriously, 14.000$ is crap =/
For something of that scale, I'd say she deserved a lot more. I mean her mother just got burned alive in front of her and there giving her just enough to buy a car.

The average yearly income of someone in Nepal is ~$200. So $14,000 is actually a pretty substantial amount there.

Yeah, a while back the Nepalese people wouldn't let Westerners into the mountains to take mitigating action against GLOF's at Tsho Rolpa. The shamans told them that the spirits of the mountains would be angered at the foreigner's presence. These witch doctors should be stamped out, they do way too much harm with their mystical bullshit, and prevent people from being helped by actual good ideas.

Hammeroj:

Moosejaw:

iseko:

Without religion, it would be one less crazy justification for killing people, and that's the whole point. Also, your assertion that without religion people would still kill each other just the same is downright false, as evidenced by the statistical fact that the least religious countries in, at least, western society, have the lowest criminal rates in the entire world.

The bolded part probably means that you either haven't been around religious people enough or are religious yourself and are rationalising your beliefs. Religions shape people's perception of reality, don't you dare tell anyone they're "merely" anything.

The PRC is living proof that you don't need religion for groups of people to kill each other, unless I missed that part where the Chinese students were killed by the Army because of something other than them advocating for the fifth modernization and other government reforms.

Did she turn anyone into a newt?

Ultratwinkie:

Saucycarpdog:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html

I hope those responsible are burned at the stake themselves. They killed the woman right in front of her daughter.

Beat you to it by 5 hours.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.351436-Nepalese-woman-accused-of-witchcraft-burned-alive#13907511

The response time sure is slow around here.

The other forums I go to take at least a day or two more to find the articles. We're pretty good here, relative to others anyway.

uncanny474:

Tanis:
Religious people doing stupid things that end up hurting/killing people?

Wow...that's SO new!

Come off it. It's not the religions that make people do stupid things--religions are just an excuse for them to do something they would have done anyway.

If power invariably corrupts, then I think it says something about the species being given that power, even moreso than it does the nature of power itself. People have shown me time and time again that they will act horrible to each other at the slightest provocation. I can't believe y'all are surprised.

And there we go again. Religion is not "just an" anything. It significantly alters the very perception of reality of those believing it. That isn't something minor you just brush off the same way you would an out there opinion on a movie or something.

But if you really want to go down this road, and claim that religion is actually just a ruse on the part of all believers, explain something to me. Explain suicide bombing.

At least they got a million rupees. Now, they can afford that bigger Rupee bag!

Volf99:

Hammeroj:

Moosejaw:

The PRC is living proof that you don't need religion for groups of people to kill each other, unless I missed that part where the Chinese students were killed by the Army because of something other than them advocating for the fifth modernization and other government reforms.

Did I so much as imply that religion is the only reason for which people kill each other? Point me to the place where I did so. Ridiculous and dangerous ideas aren't limited to religion to be sure, but a lot of them are covered and protected by it.

Blablahb:

So people kill from religious beliefs, without having religious beliefs? Sounds interesting. Good luck naming examples.

The Lord's Resistance Army
"Although the LRA has been regarded primarily as a Christian militia, the LRA reportedly evokes Acholi nationalism on occasion, but many observers doubt the sincerity of this behaviour and the loyalty of Kony to either ideology."

In other words a bunch of murderous rebels operating under the guise of upholding religious beliefs, but really just being a bunch of murderous rebels.

Durgiun:

zumbledum:

Durgiun:
I'm just waiting for this to happen in America. Then we'll be able to say with complete seriousness: ''AMERICANS''.

Dont be ridiculous Americans would never burn anyone for being a witch. they do communists and black people!

And homosexuals, don't forget them.

and muslims, and "terrorists" too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked