Woman burned alive for being a witch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Tanis:
Religious people doing stupid things that end up hurting/killing people?

Wow...that's SO new!

Irreligious people making blanket statements regarding religious people based on outliers/fundamentalists?

Wow... that's SO edgy!

Hammeroj:

Volf99:

Hammeroj:
Without religion, it would be one less crazy justification for killing people, and that's the whole point. Also, your assertion that without religion people would still kill each other just the same is downright false, as evidenced by the statistical fact that the least religious countries in, at least, western society, have the lowest criminal rates in the entire world.

The bolded part probably means that you either haven't been around religious people enough or are religious yourself and are rationalising your beliefs. Religions shape people's perception of reality, don't you dare tell anyone they're "merely" anything.

The PRC is living proof that you don't need religion for groups of people to kill each other, unless I missed that part where the Chinese students were killed by the Army because of something other than them advocating for the fifth modernization and other government reforms.

Did I so much as imply that religion is the only reason for which people kill each other? Point me to the place where I did so. Ridiculous and dangerous ideas aren't limited to religion to be sure, but a lot of them are covered and protected by it.

No, but you come off as sounding like you believe that religion is the primary cause of such behavior, which is nonsense. As I just pointed out, the PRC has proven full well that you don't need religion to commit monstrous acts.

Tell me, are you also against the concept of money? What about the consumption of alcohol? Do you oppose that as well, seeing as how it has ruined families and helps cause abusive parents/spouses? What about the ability to have a political opinion and vote? I mean those two things(political opinion and voting) have lead to war in the past, so why not get rid of those as well? The reason why I'm asking this is because it seems like you only want to focus on the negative side of religion and overlook the good that it does, and if that approach is applied to other things, than why not rally against the concept of money, drinking alcohol, having a political opinion and the ability to vote? Haven't the things I listed also cause problems in this world?

I think you need to take a more moderate/balance outlook on religion.

Simple, superstitious and uneducated people running amok. Fear mongering at it's finest, yet it may have been nothing but a tool for personal revenge? As long as poverty and ignorance prevail this brand of stupidity will flourish.

However, a PhD doesn't seem to a guarantee better behavior. No doubt the Escapist can make a extensive list of "intelligent" people prone to mass hysteria and flights of fancy.

Liquidacid23:
meh shit happens ... it's a fucked up world whatta you gonna do

you can't stop people from doing horrible and stupid things... at least not short of committing some horrible acts yourself to force them

You can stop them. Some people don't want to. Others just don't know. But you can.

You can't choose how someone will act, but you can choose how to react.

I'm a little hazy about committing horrible acts to stop horrible acts...that statement seems too general, and a person can choose not to act in that manner.

Don't be a witch then! Problem solved.

Hammeroj:

Moosejaw:

iseko:

I don't mind religion in general but it's things like these that sometimes make me hate it. People killing other people over pure fiction. And in such a horrible way. Bah! Makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong. Religion has it's good things too. Acts like these just sometimes make those good things hard to see.

People do stupid shit constantly, religion is merely a wayward justification. If religion weren't there, they'd find some other justification to be stupid assholes.

Would it be better if the woman was burned for monetary or political purposes (which I suspect are closer to the true reasons)? I somehow doubt she or her children would care.

Without religion, it would be one less crazy justification for killing people, and that's the whole point. Also, your assertion that without religion people would still kill each other just the same is downright false, as evidenced by the statistical fact that the least religious countries in, at least, western society, have the lowest criminal rates in the entire world.

The bolded part probably means that you either haven't been around religious people enough or are religious yourself and are rationalising your beliefs. Religions shape people's perception of reality, don't you dare tell anyone they're "merely" anything.

Correlation does not equal causation. Leave the use of statistical argument to the big boys who understand it.

edit:
Also, why are there so many people cracking unfunny jokes over this event? The internet always does this unfunny feat at the sight of legitimate tragedy. A follow up is how anyone could laugh at them.

So, to recap: a shaman accused this lady of being a witch, so they burned her?

Is a little consistency in occult policy too much to ask? why not burn both, or neither?

What's the difference between a shaman and a witch?
They're both bullshit :o

... Except shamans can turn into ghost wolves.

rhizhim:

S1leNt RIP:
And the crow calls the raven black!!! A SHAMAN accused the woman of being a witch...teh feck?!

Wow, truly terrible.

yeah. it kind of funny that witchdoctors are ok but witches are not.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to catch that.

Volf99:
No, but you come off as sounding like you believe that religion is the primary cause of such behavior, which is nonsense. As I just pointed out, the PRC has proven full well that you don't need religion to commit monstrous acts.

Tell me, are you also against the concept of money? What about the consumption of alcohol? Do you oppose that as well, seeing as how it has ruined families and helps cause abusive parents/spouses? What about the ability to have a political opinion and vote? I mean those two things(political opinion and voting) have lead to war in the past, so why not get rid of those as well? The reason why I'm asking this is because it seems like you only want to focus on the negative side of religion and overlook the good that it does, and if that approach is applied to other things, than why not rally against the concept of money, drinking alcohol, having a political opinion and the ability to vote? Haven't the things I listed also cause problems in this world?

I think you need to take a more moderate/balance outlook on religion.

I said that religion is one of the crazy reasons people kill each other for. Read the post again. If you infer, again, that I think it's the only or even the biggest of the sources for violence, your reading comprehension will come into question.

No, I'm against unfounded beliefs, especially ones that happen to be destructive in one form or another. That Brejvik fellow who shot up close to a hundred people? Not in favor of him.

I think you need to take a more intellectual outlook on reality. I don't think I've said one thing that's even remotely wrong, and I wasn't being particularly insulting to religious people. If I, in fact, did, you're free to point out the flaws in my reasoning. This "be nice" shit that basically means "I don't want to hear it" won't affect me one bit. Not if you say it, not if a million people say it.

debrox:
Correlation does not equal causation. Leave the use of statistical argument to the big boys who understand it.

'Course it doesn't. Correlation doesn't mean nothing, either.

I find it ironic that you call yourself a big boy, when "correlation does not equal causation" is one of the most used terms on this forum, and that's basically the entirety of your post.

S1leNt RIP:
And the crow calls the raven black!!! A SHAMAN accused the woman of being a witch...teh feck?!

Wow, truly terrible.

"...set on fire by family members and others after a shaman allegedly accused her of casting a spell to make one of her relatives sick..."

Yeah, that caused me to stop short as well. You burned someone for being a witch... on the advise of another kind of witch? I can understand modern day 'hunts to one extent or another, however that just doesn't make any sense to me.

they didn't even see if she weighed the same as a duck

Surpheal:

Durgiun:

zumbledum:

Dont be ridiculous Americans would never burn anyone for being a witch. they do communists and black people!

And homosexuals, don't forget them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that already happen in America? You know, the whole Salem witch trails and The Crucible.

True, but I was thinking of modern-day America.

You know, As Horrible as this is, its even more sickening the response this has provoked.
FYI Fucktards, when an innocent woman is burned alive in front of her daughter who has just watched her mother get beaten by HER OWN FAMILY, You don't make jokes and you don't say "shit happens". That is not the response of normal people.

RedBird:
You know, As Horrible as this is, its even more sickening the response this has provoked.
FYI Fucktards, when an innocent woman is burned alive in front of her daughter who has just watched her mother get beaten by HER OWN FAMILY, You don't make jokes and you don't say "shit happens". That is not the response of normal people.

Let me get this straight.

You think the people who killed someone else for what amounts to no reason are not as bad as the people who make jokes about it afterwards, or people who shrug it off as just another death of the thousands that happen daily.

Regnes:
Well her children got one million rupees, do you know how many Hyrulean shields you could buy with that shit?

12,500 in Ocarina of Time, 5000 in Twilight Princess (:

370999:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Well, to be fair, she was a witch, so it was coming.

No seriously though, thats terrible. But what can you do? Educate people I guess.

I think it did happen in America, cough Salem Witch trails cough cough. Mind you Europeans shouldn't throw stones over this...

Salem witch trials? No witches burnt.

Witchcraft was a capital crime - so they were hung, not burnt.

http://www.salemwitchtrials.com/victims.html

UK? Again, a few were burnt - most were hanged. Total? 228 (Although estimates are more around
300-1000: ever... That's all executions of women over the entire period.)

So yeah... more Americans have died in the Iraq War since Obama's inauguration that were ever executed as witches in the UK and US.

And very few were burnt.

Hey, maybe she was really a witch.

Durgiun:

zumbledum:

Durgiun:
I'm just waiting for this to happen in America. Then we'll be able to say with complete seriousness: ''AMERICANS''.

Dont be ridiculous Americans would never burn anyone for being a witch. they do communists and black people!

And homosexuals, don't forget them.

No, no, homosexuals aren't burned at the stake, just chemically castrated. Even after you beat the Nazi's to death with math.

VincentX3:

Regnes:
Well her children got one million rupees, do you know how many Hyrulean shields you could buy with that shit?

Too soon man!

Ok I laughed a bit =P

But seriously, 14.000$ is crap =/

Well shit, what happened with the inflation? I mean, it's not like you find those rupees lying the grass or anything.

Hammeroj:

RedBird:

Let me get this straight.

You think the people who killed someone else for what amounts to no reason are not as bad as the people who make jokes about it afterwards, or people who shrug it off as just another death of the thousands that happen daily.

MASSIVE LEVELS of Bad phrasing on my part: The people making jokes are nearly as bad as the murderers due to the astronomical levels of ignorance and stupidity and just plain horribleness displayed in their flippant reactions, and anyone saying shit Happens can fuck off because that doesn't help anyone. Using even more was a fuck up that makes me sound like a moron, so yeah, bad phrasing, sorry. Also, Do you even have a point opposing mine?

Saucycarpdog:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html

I hope those responsible are burned at the stake themselves. They killed the woman right in front of her daughter.

**sigh**

Well, at least those responsible (her family?!) are being charged with murder. That's something, anyway.

Dear lord, how unpleasant. Sometimes I wonder why I'm christian...

Mr.Mattress:
It's Nepal. They're currently trying to establish a Communist Government. They had a Civil war for years and have only recently got out of it. Of course Extremists are gonna do crud like this. The important thing to remember, however, is that A majority of Religious people, don't do these things.

True, but it provides a convenient framework for people to do these kinds of things and then claim some kind of defense.

S1leNt RIP:

Wow, truly terrible.

Well duh dude there's evil magic and good magic. Gaaaawwwwd dontcha know yer religionz?

They should have built a bridge out of her instead.

RedBird:
MASSIVE LEVELS of Bad phrasing on my part: The people making jokes are nearly as bad as the murderers due to the astronomical levels of ignorance and stupidity and just plain horribleness displayed in their flippant reactions, and anyone saying shit Happens can fuck off because that doesn't help anyone. Using even more was a fuck up that makes me sound like a moron, so yeah, bad phrasing, sorry. Also, Do you even have a point opposing mine?

Not a point that I have the patience to go into. I'm just interested in your position.

Mr.Mattress:
It's Nepal. They're currently trying to establish a Communist Government. They had a Civil war for years and have only recently got out of it. Of course Extremists are gonna do crud like this. The important thing to remember, however, is that A majority of Religious people, don't do these things.

I'm sorry I don't follow. Communism is sparking up there so CLEARLY they burn witches? I don't see the connection

Regnes:

Looks like they just got, MMMMMMMMM, richer!

Durgiun:
I'm just waiting for this to happen in America. Then we'll be able to say with complete seriousness: ''AMERICANS''.

I recall a few instances where African and Arab immigrants did some equally ass-backwards s*** over in the states, it's not as exciting as it sounds.

Tanis:

Wow...that's SO new!

True that this involved religious beliefs hint why they burned the poor woman alive.. yet religion itself isn't responsible. Some people take beliefs way to far- including politicians. They don't have to be religious yet their beliefs in politics can drive them making very bad decisions (Hitler for say), or even scientists in their beliefs can cause them to create horrible things (video games and movies love to make scientists usually bad like in Resident Evil, ect.)

Still, it's the very hardcore religious people that usually tend to do acts like these. Sadly, my religion as a Christian is understandable to feel hatred towards since Christians tend to hate gays, judge people, and force their beliefs onto people. Yet they forget the very importance of a moral within the religion:

"Treat thy neighbor as you'd treat thyself." (Leviticus 19:18, Matthew 19:19, Matthew 22:39)

Even though I am a religious, I myself am not a holy person- I got flaws. Just I try to improve and still struggle. Yet it really does indeed sadden me dearly to see a mother die in such a state including having her daughter watch. That's not only traumatizing but will inflict her deeply, maybe even physically. All we can do is educate people hoping they won't take their beliefs to such a state and accuse people as being witches, satan(s), whichever it may be.

Hammeroj:

RedBird:

Not a point that I have the patience to go into. I'm just interested in your position.

Wow, you're an arrogant git aren't you?

RedBird:

Hammeroj:

RedBird:

No, what could possibly make you say that? Could it be the fact that I don't want to spend 20 minutes building a case that people who make jokes are not scum of the earth just by virtue of making jokes?

aashell13:
So, to recap: a shaman accused this lady of being a witch, so they burned her?

Is a little consistency in occult policy too much to ask? why not burn both, or neither?

to be specific a shaman is a spirit healer/doctor whilst a witch is...well a witch and witches do bad things as any fairy tale will tell you

waj9876:

Hammeroj:
"Moderates" see human sacrifice as a good thing. They celebrate a man's conviction to follow the voice in his head to the point of gutting his own son. The main difference is how far you're willing to go in the name of your professed beliefs.

And those are the extremists. The ones who pull this shit. Trust me, us "Normal" religious types are just as disgusted by this as everyone else.

Terminate421:

Tanis:

Wow...that's SO new!

Please tell me you mean Extremists......

An extremist just means people who have more extreme beliefs than the majority, so it's completely subjective. Most people who in the 13th century Europe would have been considered 'normal' we would today label extremists.

It really just depends on what group of people you are looking at. Are you talking about all the religious people in the world? Or particular sect or religion?

And what you define to be 'extremism', anyway?

Hammeroj:

RedBird:

Hammeroj:

No, what could possibly make you say that? Could it be the fact that I don't want to spend 20 minutes building a case that people who make jokes are not scum of the earth just by virtue of making jokes?

People who make jokes about mothers brutally murdered for no reason in front of their 8 year old daughter are pretty damn close. Don't patronise to me and take 5 seconds to think before you get high and mighty. When it comes down to it I'm fairly certain you agree with me, Unless perhaps you'd like to laugh at this sort of thing? Go on, Tell me a joke about a modern day witch burning in front of a minor. I'm sure it'll be hilarious.

Darkmantle:

Mr.Mattress:

I'm sorry I don't follow. Communism is sparking up there so CLEARLY they burn witches? I don't see the connection

No, Communism isn't sparking up there, that's why they had a Civil War. The Country is broken basically, and just like in say Afghanistan or Iraq, a Broken Country allows these things to happen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked