Synthetic meat

Pages PREV 1 2

Redweaver:

werewolfsfury:

Redweaver:

Here's a wild and crazy idea:

They could...

FIND A NEW JOB!

because it's always so easy to get a job. all you have to do is walk in and ask for a job! you don't have to go to college for 2-4 years to get a high paying job either! and so what if someone else gets it instead of you? just go and ask for another one somewhere else! I can't believe that there are so many jobless people out there they're just being lazy.

Yeah, so instead of rolling up your sleeves and getting started with the hard work, just whine about it and fight tooth and nail to keep our society in the dark ages so you they can keep their paycheck.

Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and it's beyond time for progress, just like in the oil industry. I'm sorry some people, hell, even a lot of people, will loose money/jobs. Life is harsh like that.

well look I'm just going to say that taking jobs from people is a bad thing I know life is harsh but you can't just tell people to deal with as they descend into poverty but we may as well stop here since I'm terrible at making aguments

I think you need both farmers and synthetic till people aren't friggen starving to death. God this debate between you two is like the government. bicker over not maybe hurting one system or market back and forth instead of letting a new one being created and helping out everyone else, like the starving people.

Fatboy_41:

Mortai Gravesend:

Don't be stupid. I didn't say to create it for the sake of creating it. That isn't the same reasoning if you thought about it for a half second. I'm saying it doesn't matter if farmers lose their jobs to it. Just like I wouldn't tell farmers to quit just so synthetic meat could get on the market, which would be the equivalent. Think before posting, it saves trouble.

You say we won't need farmers because we'll have synthetic meat. I say we don't need synthetic meat because we have farmers. Seems pretty similar to me. But that's not really the point I wanted to make. I truly think the number of farmers that went out of business would be minimal. Yes, they may have to cut prices to stay competitive, but not shut up shop entirely. The "organic" and " natural" craze has been setting in for a whole now and people already pay premium prices for those products. I think synthetic meat would simply be viewed as a cheaper alternative, but not a complete replacement.

I didn't say that we won't need farmers. God damn. I know it might be hard to deal with when you have an idiotic stance, but trying to pretend mine is equivalent by using things I didn't say is pretty damn dishonest. I came in replying to someone who assumed farmers would lose jobs. I said that wouldn't matter. I didn't say they would for sure.

werewolfsfury:
well look I'm just going to say that taking jobs from people is a bad thing I know life is harsh but you can't just tell people to deal with as they descend into poverty but we may as well stop here since I'm terrible at making aguments

I'm not for throwing anyone to the wolves, but some people are in a "prison" totally of their own making. It is posible to retrain and find a new job. Difficult, yes, but that's no excuse.

It's that inertia that's weighing us all down.

It's why we still burn fossil fuels. It's why we haven't gone back to the moon. It's why stone age superstitions are still with us. It's why a (half-)black POTUS is a big deal.

We, collectively, as a society and a species need to start growing the hell up.

Redweaver:

werewolfsfury:

I'm not for throwing anyone to the wolves, but some people are in a "prison" totally of their own making. It is posible to retrain and find a new job. Difficult, yes, but that's no excuse.

It's that inertia that's weighing us all down.

It's why we still burn fossil fuels. It's why we haven't gone back to the moon. It's why stone age superstitions are still with us. It's why a (half-)black POTUS is a big deal.

We, collectively, as a society and a species need to start growing the hell up.

well us arguing over it isn't helping anything

Mortai Gravesend:

Yes, it does. Why should those people get jobs for something we don't need them for? If we can do it in a cheaper fashion, why should we do it the hard way and pay more of our money for their less efficient ways? Why shouldn't we allow them to lose their jobs if we don't need their job? They can go and learn to do something that we do need. Just like everyone else in the world.

You use the word "need" there quite a bit...

Anyway, if we've misunderstood eachother, shit happens. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and I doubt you will either.

Fatboy_41:

Mortai Gravesend:

Yes, it does. Why should those people get jobs for something we don't need them for? If we can do it in a cheaper fashion, why should we do it the hard way and pay more of our money for their less efficient ways? Why shouldn't we allow them to lose their jobs if we don't need their job? They can go and learn to do something that we do need. Just like everyone else in the world.

You use the word "need" there quite a bit...

Anyway, if we've misunderstood eachother, shit happens. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and I doubt you will either.

Nice how you skip over the last post's bit where I point out "I came in replying to someone who assumed farmers would lose jobs." So I went with that assumption. If they lost their jobs then we didn't need them

GigaHz:

luke10123:
snip

So long as they emulate the taste and texture of meat perfectly (this has yet to happen), I wouldn't mind changing to synthetic meat.

The only remaining question would be, what would we end up using livestock for?

we wouldn't, there wouldn't be any need for the mass breeding of live stock anymore. It'd still be there for the premium market but the point is it has the potential to significantly reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.

At the moment, I don't like the idea of it. It's enough to turn me Vegetarian if it came into force say, next year.

But in many, many years and research and development... no, sod it, I still wouldn't eat it.

luke10123:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761

Out of interest, what do you think about our artificial-meat future? I think it's a pretty good idea, all things considered. Mainly because of the huge volumes of greenhouse gases that raising large numbers of animals creates.

Also interested as to what the vegetarians think? would you eat lab-meat or not?

I understand where his reasoning is coming from and it's actually a good idea he's onto. I'd be okay with synthetic meat, especially for the applications he's talking about (fast food, etc) because let's face it, fast food meat is barely meat to begin with...

I am a vegetarian and I would gladly eat lab grown meat. I don't even give a shit what it tastes like. I'll just be happy for a convenient source of protein and various vitamins without the slaughter and suffering.

C F:
Oh, good. More of the real stuff for me. I suppose I'll eat it if only you don't mess with the genes. Authentic cow seems to be the winning formula, and I don't trust humanity's current level of genetic knowledge to go and eat any of their experimental stuff without further research.

Are you serious? "Authentic cow"? You mean them cows that have been genetically bred? The ones who's fathers and mothers were selected for breeding to produce the best cows for consumption? Them "Authentic cow's"?

Oh, you mean the ones that were genetically modded outside of a lab? Oh okay then.

To be honest, with what I have just said, I am all for it. If it's identical to "the real deal" then why snub it?

omega 616:

C F:
Oh, good. More of the real stuff for me. I suppose I'll eat it if only you don't mess with the genes. Authentic cow seems to be the winning formula, and I don't trust humanity's current level of genetic knowledge to go and eat any of their experimental stuff without further research.

Are you serious? "Authentic cow"? You mean them cows that have been genetically bred? The ones who's fathers and mothers were selected for breeding to produce the best cows for consumption? Them "Authentic cow's"?

Oh, you mean the ones that were genetically modded outside of a lab? Oh okay then.

To be honest, with what I have just said, I am all for it. If it's identical to "the real deal" then why snub it?

Yep, those ones. At least the cows are doing the breeding themselves. I don't trust humans enough to try and come up with their own meat ideas with a petri dish or syringe or computer or however-the-heck they're doing it. Not right out of the gate. Not until they get more experience with it. But we've been using animal breeding for quite a while, and that's more of a deal of guiding what already exists than making something from scratch.

C F:

omega 616:

C F:

Yep, those ones. At least the cows are doing the breeding themselves. I don't trust humans enough to try and come up with their own meat ideas with a petri dish or syringe or computer or however-the-heck they're doing it. Not right out of the gate. Not until they get more experience with it. But we've been using animal breeding for quite a while, and that's more of a deal of guiding what already exists than making something from scratch.

They aren't doing the breeding, really. They are just shagging the only thing they can. They separate all the bulls and all the cows, pick the best bull and cow, stick them in a field then let nature do it's thing. It's not like the farmer gave them a pep talk or showed them which ones to fuck but ultimately left it up to them ...

They aren't making DNA, they are just taking a bit of a cow and growing it. Not making it from scratch, just adding a growing agent ... from what I understand anyway.

Artificial meat: yes, I wish this could happen one day. I feel bad for eating meat at the cost of millions of innocent animals slaughtered every day.

Ok let me give you guys a little shocker I guess, The cows aren't even breeding themselves! it's all artificial insemination, You already have a guy with a petri dish making your cow that you eat, or doing the same to cows that make the milk you drink.

We are already growing the damn meat ourselves at this point all the legal drugs we use to shoot up the cows they artificial inseminate. all this is doing is not using the cow to grow the meat inside of it.

Eve Charm:
We are already growing the damn meat ourselves at this point all the legal drugs we use to shoot up the cows they artificial inseminate.

Yeah, I wish they wouldn't do that, but the FDA allows it and it's a great way to produce fatter cows at lower costs. I'm aware of how the meat industry works. I'm the kind of person who likes to eat stuff that wasn't shot full of antibiotics and growth hormones. But that's the modus operandi of today's meat industry. And that's probably going to be a problem with this synthetic stuff.

Quote:
Dr Steele, who is also a molecular biologist, said he was also concerned that unhealthily high levels of antibiotics and antifungal chemicals would be needed to stop the synthetic meat from rotting.

The benefit of growing and killing actual cows? Their bodies are designed with their own immune system and are built from the ground up to produce lasting muscle. This artificial meat won't ever be part of a functional, growing body. It's a weak standalone substitute, and I don't think it will compare in terms of quality or durability. We've still got a long way to go.

We could have endangered species' food.
F*** yea tiger for lunch

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked