Anime Suggestions

I need help finding a new anime to watch. I've looked around quite a bit on the internet but everything I've come across seems kinda meh, I wouldn't exactly call myself an anime watcher because I haven't seen many and I tend to just dismiss most from like 3 seconds of a YouTube video. Animes I've seen before are:

- Samurai Champloo
- Cowboy Bebop
- Afro Samurai
- Ergo Proxy
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Ghost in the Shell SAC
- Gintama

I like animes that present a journey or some kind of progression, I really liked TTGL for that alone, it's not a requirement though as long as there is some form of overarching plot. I'd say plot is the main reason I watch anime but visual style and setting are important too, I favour edo period type animes for the latter but I'm not completely prejudice as long as the look is consistent and interesting. I'm not searching for anything specific, so I'm mostly open to anything, although I may just inexplicably dislike some.

Any recommendations?

Jasper Jeffs:

Any recommendations?

Use the search bar. This topic comes up a bajillion times on this forum and that will give you TONS of Anime to check out, 99% of which is brought up in every thread anyways.

As for my own, Outlaw Star is great.

Outlaw Sta-

Qitz:

Jasper Jeffs:

Any recommendations?

Use the search bar. This topic comes up a bajillion times on this forum and that will give you TONS of Anime to check out, 99% of which is brought up in every thread anyways.

As for my own, Outlaw Star is great.

Fucking ninjas!

Outlaw Star, seriously, it's a great show.

Great characters, funny, full of action and one of my personal favourites.

Many animes I watched growing up, I can't stand to watch anymore.

Outlaw Star is not one of them.

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'll love Outlaw Star.

I'm not much of an anime fan. That said, there are an exceptional few that I love with a passion:

- Gasaraki
- Excel Saga
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Dragon Ball Z Kai

Katanagatari is a show with a rather unique artstyle, set in Japan 150 years after the sengoku period. Edo period, in other words. It's a lot like Samurai Champloo, and I suspect it will fit your preferences nicely.
It is also just an all-round good show.

Baccano might remind you of Cowboy bebop. It's set in the US, ca 1931 and revolves around gangsters and train-robberies.

Death note is a crime-series. The first half is absolutely brilliant, but the quality of the show declines somewhat in the second half. It's still well worth a watch.
I've never met anyone who has been able to stop watching after having watched the first two episodes.

Claymore is a fantasy story about a special breed of warriors called "claymores". It's a decent story.

FLCL is awesome andconfusingandtherearerobotsandaliensandguitarsforweaponsandbitterdrinksandspicycurry. And it's only 7 episodes.

Hellsing ultimate is an ongoing series of OVAs. It's about a badass vampire doing badass things. It's cool.

Higurashi no naku koro ni is a horror thing with a slightly confusing narrative, but it's good.

Mawaru penguindrum is pretty awesome. It's filled with weird stuff and symbolism and such.

Steins; gate: A bunch of kids invent a time machine. Good stuff ensues.

ELfen lied: Lot's of people are cut into pieces. Also tits. Decent story.

Clannad and Clannad after story: School life comedy/drama. It might be hard to get into for someone with your preferences, but it's the most touching series ever.

Code geass: A mecha show for people who don't like mechas. It's decent.

Welcome to the NHK is a touching story about the life of a 'hikikomori'. A shut-in with no job and no education trying to work his way back into ordinary life.

http://myanimelist.net is a helpful site.

Go here: http://www.anime-planet.com/ , search for stuff you watched, look at suggestions.
There's also this site http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/
And Escapist's search function, of course.

Jonluw:

Code geass is not at all about mechas... it's 99% about the plot, 1% about the gundam-esque fighting.

I recommend Code GEass and Death Note.

Logiclul:

Jonluw:

Code geass is not at all about mechas... it's 99% about the plot, 1% about the gundam-esque fighting.

I recommend Code GEass and Death Note.

Which is why I said it's a mecha show for people who don't like mechas.
No matter where you go, it's pitched as a mecha show, and that is going to keep a lot of people from trying it out. So it's important to point out that you'll like it even if you don't like mechas.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Easily one of the best productions ever, and certainly the best recent production from the past few years.

Just don't watch the first anime until you've at least seen Brotherhood. A lot of people will defend the first anime saying the first half was better than Brotherhood's first half. That's their opinion, I won't say the first anime's beginning was bad, it was good to average, but not phenomenal. However, the first anime in it's entirety is indisputably a very very very bad show. It split off from the manga entirely in the second half, and it showed, they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Darker Than Black is worth watching. The characters and the plot are fairly interesting, if you can understand what's going on that is (it got bit confusing for me at the end). They have some pretty interesting special abilities as well. But more importantly it has a talking cat in it.

You read that right, a talking cat. So you know it's gotta be good.

Both Spice & Wolf and Monster sound like they'd fit the criteria rather well. Both are certainly journeys, if in a rather different sense.

As for others worth checking out:

Baccano!
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners[1]
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Christo
Grave of the Fireflies
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Fate/Zero (still ongoing)

[1] Hard to get a hold of the overarching plot in that one though, as it's out of chronological order, and rather esoteric to begin with. It's there though.

I would recommend The Black Butler. It's 25 episodes long and I found it to be a really good anime. The first few episodes are somewhat random but if you wait it out it has a neat story progression that makes you want to see what happends next.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked