Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

(NOTE: Since people don't understand the question: Quit giving me "who cares about their <x>" responses, that's not the question at hand. Any sane person should vote for someone based on their political ideologies, leadership skills, and ability to accomplish the task at hand, and not their race / gender / orientation / whatnot . The questions is about when do you believe we will have one that fits these traits, since there are sadly a lot of people who just base their vote on these qualities in a person.)

It used to be that religion was a major deciding factor in who was chosen for President, such as the big issue at the time where a certain President was a Catholic, and the fear it caused if he'd mess up the country. This risky President was John F. Kennedy.

Then later came another risky young fellow who took on harsh criticism and countless lies against his name to try and shut him down for one simple reason: He is part African-American. We know his now as the current President of the United States (POTUS), Barack H. Obama.

What do these presidents have in common? For one, they've taken a very fragile United States and handled it rather well given their circumstances (e.g. the Cuban Missile crisis, the two recessions, respectively), but many presidents have also done that. What many presidents don't have in common with these two is that they were revolutionaries at the time for taking the presidential office. A Catholic president? A black one?! Madness.

And yet, it happened.

So now that we're reaching even more tolerable levels than before, what's to stop us from getting another president that's even more politically risky? Say an Atheist president, or even an openly homosexual president? We may already have a female president within the next 20 years based on how things are going lately, but still a large majority of people would not support an Atheist or homosexual president simply because... well, they all have reasons. (Hopefully non-prejudice reasons)

How long do you believe it will take before we have...

1) A female president
2) An Atheist president
3) A homosexual president
4) An independent (non-Republican or Democratic) president (Modern day)
5) You name others and how long it'll take. (Other races, beliefs, etc.)

Or even then, why you believe there shouldn't be one of the them! All opinions are welcome. But lets avoid any flamewar for any side here. A quick little ground rule: Just because someone's religious doesn't mean they're an extremist, and this is coming from an Atheist, so play nice people. Also in return that if someone's an Atheist it doesn't mean they're a devil spawn.

Bonus: Even though it's obviously been established that we're talking about the United States of America, you can impute how your country also feels about having a leader (President, Prime Minister, you name it) like that. Or if there's already been one; how the country views it now, etc! All sides welcome.

Female one in the next 10-15 years
Atheist in the next 50-60

Probably wont be a homosexual one in my lifetime.

Pimppeter2:

see i think homosexuality is more accepted in america than athiesm. At least in the way i have been treated out there.

Here in the Uk we have already had a woman prime minister and possibly an athiest one (i dont know the full religous history of my countries rulership).

As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)

Well you guys elected a black man roughly 50 years after the climax of the civil rights movement. Homosexuals, atheists and women were never victims as much as black people, so it's entirely possible.

We've had atheists and women in the top position in several big name countries. Hell, Margaret Thatcher is often considered one of the greatest prime ministers ever.

bahumat42:

Pimppeter2:

see i think homosexuality is more accepted in america than athiesm. At least in the way i have been treated out there.

Here in the Uk we have already had a woman prime minister and possibly an athiest one (i dont know the full religous history of my countries rulership).

As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)

Depends on what part of the country you visited. But "accepted" is the wrong term, America has a large homosexual and atheist population. Either way, this is just my thoughts. It has nothing to do on the level of "acceptance" America supposedly has for each minority group. If I had said no Female presidents, does that mean that Women are less "Accepted" than homosexuals in America? No.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a female president in my life time. Atheist...I dunno, entirely possible. Depends on if they make it a big deal or not.

Basically if we have a President who talks about being an atheist as much as certain presidents talk about god...no, I don't think that would happen. But if we had a good candidate who just happened to be one and didn't mention it a lot, it could happen.

Homosexual, entirely possible, but there are gonna be loud idiots who complain. Of course there are loud idiots who still complain about Obama so...yeah (of course there are loud idiots who complain about every president, so who knows?) There was a joke in The Simpson's about a gay republican bumper sticker that said something like "A gay president in 2054*" and then they shrugged and said with a smile "we're realistic"

*I can't remember the exact number, but it was up there.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation the average voter." ~ Winston Churchill

Pimppeter2:

bahumat42:

Pimppeter2:

Depends on what part of the country you visited. But "accepted" is the wrong term, America has a large homosexual and atheist population. Either way, this is just my thoughts. It has nothing to do on the level of "acceptance" America supposedly has for each minority group. If I had said no Female presidents, does that mean that Women are less "Accepted" than homosexuals in America? No.

true enough and since iv only visited 4 states i can't say my opinion has a lot of basis. But based on my time there and the media's portrayal of the two groups. And granted acceptance may not habe been the right word (but it is connected to the issue).

In America? Maybe a little longer than some other countries, no offence meant. I don't think a female President would actually be much of a stretch, I can see that happening pretty soon actually. We might have to wait a few generations for an openly atheist President though, given the way religion has become deeply political in the US (just look at the supposed 'War on Religion' happening at the moment). I don't know how homosexuality compares to atheism in terms of acceptance in the US, but I don't see that one happening too soon either.

Still, why set the targets so low? Let's try and get us a polygamous family in the White House. Or a President that practices Wicca. Or Satanism.

Hell, let's get us a gamer President. Replace wars with COD death matches. Iran threatening to acquire nuclear weapons? My killstreak helicopter says otherwise.

Well in the last 20 years the public opinion towards atheists hasn't improved nearly as much as it should have, and it is still seen as a very... risky position to be in for an American politician. This makes me sad :(

Woman president, I see no reason why not.

Homosexual president, not in my lifetime. Same with atheist I suppose =/

In other major countries sure, but the USA has the Southern states... and people like Rick Perry are not executed on the spot, so I have less hope for it :(

The bias in this post is staggering. But getting past that.

The fact that you see it an "accomplishment" that an "African American" was elected president shows that it was not an accomplishment.

Whys that? The fact that we are calling him an "African American" and pointing that out is what makes it not an accomplishment. It proves we have NOT gotten past race. And we never will if this shit keeps up. You can go ahead and think it was an "accomplishment" but all I see him is was the affirmative action president. The token black president. Put aside whether or not you think he was qualified, put aside whether or not you think he is doing a good job and keeping his promises. What happened any time anyone criticized him during the campaign? Or even to this day. What is it labeled? Racism. And if you think that isn't true...than you are an ignoramus. And if you think its true, because that what it always is or mostly was, then you are an even bigger ignoramus. And the talks of race and racism are already starting.

Obama got something well over 90% of the black vote. And how many Samuel L Jacksons (who voted for obama simply cause he was black) were there? Id wager a ton.

And how many whites and other were browbeaten or guilt tripped into voting for him because he was black? Again, id wager a lot.

So no. Not an accomplishment. Till race is a non factor, at all. We are not past racism and its not an accomplishment. Until the day we don't see it as an "accomplishment", will it be an accomplishment.

Also. Why are having a gay, atheist and female presidents "accomplishments". So, until we have an atheist president in a majority religious nation.....we are incomplete? Pure stupidity. If people are supposed to be be people and everyone is supposed to be equal, then stop separating people into groups.

Female in the next 10 years
Atheist not for a long time
Gay... next 50 years

Definitely a homosexual one, maybe an atheist. Atheists, according to some polls, are trusted less than muslims and homosexuals. Americans aren't big fans of either of those groups and they hate us more. However, the number of atheists or non worshippers among young (college age) citizens is growing quickly.

The only one I think is likely in the near future is a female president. I think we will see a homosexual president last, of that list. It might be interesting to see who would win the nomination, a gay Christian, or a straight atheist. And on that note,

Devil's Due:
was a Catholic rather than a Christian

A non-Christian president

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm not too sure. For a woman I think you guys just need the right candidate. A woman who is actually a better choice, atheist and homosexual though, that's when people start assuming you're living some kind of deviant life style and can't be trusted. In America particularly t seems common enough to believe that without religion you can't be a good person.

Suicidejim:
In America? Maybe a little longer than some other countries, no offence meant. I don't think a female President would actually be much of a stretch, I can see that happening pretty soon actually. We might have to wait a few generations for an openly atheist President though, given the way religion has become deeply political in the US (just look at the supposed 'War on Religion' happening at the moment). I don't know how homosexuality compares to atheism in terms of acceptance in the US, but I don't see that one happening too soon either.

Still, why set the targets so low? Let's try and get us a polygamous family in the White House. Or a President that practices Wicca. Or Satanism.

Hell, let's get us a gamer President. Replace wars with COD death matches. Iran threatening to acquire nuclear weapons? My killstreak helicopter says otherwise.

A gamer president would be awesome.. until he asked the Secret Service to hunt down and arrest "That aimbotting noob." The Fox News stories about "The renegade, video game playing, president" would be hilarious.

On topic, I don't think America will see an openly atheist president in my lifetime, they seem to have trouble figuring out that "Separation of Church and State" thing. But a female president, or a homosexual one wouldn't surprise me, you've already got representatives of both groups starting to move up the ladder so it won't be long before one of them reaches the top rung.

Regnes:
Well you guys elected a black man roughly 50 years after the climax of the civil rights movement. Homosexuals, atheists and women were never victims as much as black people, so it's entirely possible.

I think the fact that they were never that much of a victim will draw the whole thing out, not speed it up. With black people, there was no question they were living in terrible conditions. Homosexuals? Atheists? Yeah, they get some slack, and there are some horrible thing happening out there, but for the most part they can go about their lives without to much trouble. Thus it doesnt seem like a big issue for most people.

It might surprise you that...Catholics are Christians, the original Christians (in a denominational sense) So, JFK is the only non Protestant president...:\

Well, 2 of those 3 options can be considered oppressed minorities, so when we get a president that is either a woman or a homosexual it will probably be a big deal. Atheists aren't really oppressed, unless you count the fact that no non-atheist likes them (mostly because all famous atheists appear to be huge assholes) so it's unlikely anyone will vote for an atheist anytime soon.

In Finland, on the second round of the presidential elections (only a few weeks ago), with only the best two from the first round continuing:

The other contestant was homosexual. He didn't win though.

And we of course had a female president for two terms, 12 years, before this election.

Iceland: Been there, done that (concerning a female president).

Now we have a lesbian prime-minister.

Female president - 20 years or less
Female homosexual president - 30 years or less
Atheist president - 60 years or less
Male homosexual president - probably not in my lifetime.

Seems like female homosexuality is tolerated more than male homosexuality, at least from what I see in my state, so I'd be thoroughly surprised if they got elected into the presidency in the next 100 years.

All the religious people I know seem to think that atheists want to "ban" religion outright, so if that notion is widespread amongst the religious community I doubt we'll see an atheist president for some time, at least an honest one. It would be kinda funny if an atheist pretended to be religious until elected and then BAM, atheist. I'd love to see how the country would react.

Kind of a shame that "the first -blank- president" thing is such a big deal, in a good or bad sense. Yeah it shows how much progress America is making toward tolerance, but them I'm reminded that the country with the label "land of the free" is still having civil rights issues 200+ years after it was founded. Annoys the hell out of me.

Devil's Due:
Snip

People from the United States of America always seem to think the word "President" only applies to there own leader.

Yes to a female, for sure. In fact, there already has been, in several Nations around the World. My own country, The Republic of Ireland, has already had two female Presidents.

HerrBobo:

Devil's Due:
Snip

People from the United States of America always seem to think the word "President" only applies to there own leader.

Yes to a female, for sure. In fact, there already has been, in several Nations around the World. My own country, The Republic of Ireland, has already had two female Presidents.

So you generalized people from the U.S. about... generalizing?

I did not claim there is only one President, I made the title that way because "Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President of the United States of America In Our Lifetime?" is a stupidly long forum title. You can easily see later on I use the political term POTUS to confirm I am talking about the United States of America, and not just assuming there is only one president.

Why am I only talking about POTUS? Because our politics are hilariously tangled with religion, thus making it an amusing guessing game for how long till tolerance will finally rise past ignorance. Most countries have already made it there, so there's no point in wondering about them for this particular scenario.

Please don't make assumptions about my country, and I won't make any about yours. Thanks.

Female - quite likely. Hilary Clinton came pretty close to beating Obama in the leadup to the last election. And on the other side of the political spectrum, for a while there it looked like Sarah Palin might have given the next election a shot. Very few people oppose the idea of a female president so there will be one in the next couple of decades for sure.

Gay or Atheist presidents - much less likely. The huge religious voter base would be turned off by either one.

John F Kennedy "...taken a very fragile United States and handled it rather well given their circumstances?" Is that a joke??

As for your question, female president should be no problem, lots of nations have those now. Hillary Clinton probably would've been president had Obama not run such a good campaign in 2008. Might've been the better choice too.

Atheist president? If you mean openly atheist, I think people will get over the "needs to be religious to govern correctly" line of thought in a few decades. As for homosexuals, it might take awhile because even if no official stigma exists, I think straight guys would still feel a little bit weird being led by a gay guy.

Female: Not to long, maybe after this election or the one after that.

Public Atheist: Shit, maybe 50 years, seeing as about half the people will go against him regardless of policies it will be awhile. Though Jefferson came pretty damn close to being the first.

Homosexual: Not for a looooong time. Even if no one was prejudiced against homosexuals they are a small part of the population and therefore there aren't many in politics in the first place.

Female? Probably. Atheist? Probably not, but it's still possible, and we'll probably get a few more prominent candidates in the next 20 years or so. Homosexual? I really don't think so. I think we're still a good two generations away from that. A lot of the high school/college age Christians in the church right now are more open to this sort of thing, but it'll still be a good while before they and their way of thinking have any sort of a majority in the church leadership.

Time for some straight facts: Atheists are the most-hated and least-trusted group in the United States, and are far, far less likely to be elected President. Period. All of these are different studies, with particular emphasis on the final two studies, where atheists are, by a large margin, less likely to be elected president than gays, Muslims, Jews, women, every other category, period.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/edgell/home/Strib%20Atheist%20Faith%20and%20Values.html

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/11/09/would-you-be-comfortable-with-an-atheist-president-2011-survey-says/

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315425

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigotryprejudice/a/AtheistSurveys.htm

http://www.gallup.com/poll/26611/some-americans-reluctant-vote-mormon-72yearold-presidential-candidates.aspx

Atheists are, as of now, by far the last group to be considered for the presidency. We've got some 3 or 4 openly gay congressman, and only, if I recall correctly, a single congressman that doesn't adhere to a religion, and even then is from the stereotypically "godless" San Fransisco.

Jack the Potato:
Well, 2 of those 3 options can be considered oppressed minorities, so when we get a president that is either a woman or a homosexual it will probably be a big deal. Atheists aren't really oppressed, unless you count the fact that no non-atheist likes them (mostly because all famous atheists appear to be huge assholes) so it's unlikely anyone will vote for an atheist anytime soon.

You say that atheists aren't oppressed, and then say that they are absolutely oppressed? I'd like some of what you're smoking. The fact that, in many towns in the United States, you can lose all of your friends and family for coming out as an atheist, makes it pretty damn clear that atheists are oppressed hard. We may not have the legal troubles that homosexuals have, but to say that women are still oppressed, even in the US, today but that atheists somehow are not...is laughable at best, largely misinformed at worst.

That said, maybe you aren't from the US, or maybe you live in a far-north state/community where you're not surrounded by religious nuts, but much of the US is very much impossible to live in as an atheist. Socially, atheists have it the worst in normal society.

I think America would accept a female president already, it's just a matter of finding the right candidate given that most politicians are men. The other two? Sooner than you might think I reckon, a president only needs 50% + 1 of the vote and so it doesn't matter if around four tenths of the population think they're evil for being atheist or gay if that four tenths all generally vote one way (i.e. Republican), the larger voter block can out-weight them.

chadachada123:

Jack the Potato:

You say that atheists aren't oppressed, and then say that they are absolutely oppressed? I'd like some of what you're smoking. The fact that, in many towns in the United States, you can lose all of your friends and family for coming out as an atheist, makes it pretty damn clear that atheists are oppressed hard. We may not have the legal troubles that homosexuals have, but to say that women are still oppressed, even in the US, today but that atheists somehow are not...is laughable at best, largely misinformed at worst.

That said, maybe you aren't from the US, or maybe you live in a far-north state/community where you're not surrounded by religious nuts, but much of the US is very much impossible to live in as an atheist. Socially, atheists have it the worst in normal society.

Not being liked =/= oppressed. Maybe tell your celebrity Atheists to stop being assholes and you'll get somewhere. Also:

That, right there, is why people don't like Atheists. People like you who claim Atheists are these great victims? Yeah, that's so completely untrue I can't imagine YOU having written it with a straight face. My brother is an Atheist, as is my best friend, and many other people I know who aren't victimized by society for being Atheists. And I'm from Texas, in case you were wondering.

Never, EVER say your group has it "the worst" in society. Even ACTUAL oppressed minorities don't dare make that claim. It just makes you look blind to the real suffering of other groups and selfish for insinuating your group is somehow more oppressed than other groups. Don't go there, man. It ain't pretty.

I think I'd bet on a unicorn giving humans immortality by sprinkling rainbow dust over Earth before an Atheist/homosexual president in the next 50 years.

A homosexual president would be fabulous! If we had a female president I think too many people would not shut the fuck about it. So the next logical step is an atheist president... I'll be waiting pensively.

Ellen DeGeneres for President... That's 2.5/3in one!! (She's pretty much agnostic, and definately not openly athiest!)

And she's pretty cool!

Pimppeter2:

Yup I pretty much agree with you on that

Homosexuality is a touchy thing for politicians, but I think that an atheist would do better.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked