Why I hate Valentines day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

While you are reading this, you can stop whenever you want and just assume "OP is just bitter and doesn't like anyone", not only will it save us both breath, but it is silightly true. Yes I know Valentines day has come and passed, but just because it won't happen for a full year now, doesn't make this rant less relevant. If anything, the fact that Valentines day will happen again makes this rant even more relevant.

I thought at the beginning of my rant, that I would analyze what Valentines day started as, what it is supposed to be, and how it is not that anymore, but I figure that it is irrelevant for the sake of my rant. Like Christmas and Easter, Valentines day probably started as some kind of important holiday with a real purpose, but that purpose has been lost/changed over time and people think what they want; kind of how St. Paddy's day is now "International drink a lot of beer" day.

So, ignoring the fact that St. Valentines day used to be something else, Valentines day is now what it is: stupid.
Why is Valentines day stupid you ask? Well lets assume the point of Valentines day is to express your undying love of someone (parent, relative, lover, co-worker, pet, tree, etc.). Assuming this, you can also ask "well why can't you do that any day of the year? Why do you have to do that on a certain day?" and you can, hell I'd say people should do that more often. A proponent of Valentines day might counter with "well on Valentines day you can show your affection even more so than any other day", which is utter shit. 

Anyone can say whatever they want to anyone regarding any subject, at any time (I hate genealizations but this one I whole-heartedly support). Valentines is only special because people make it special, and even that is stupid. I say "stupid" because that is the only word I can think fits right now. On Valentines day, people shower each other with gifts and stuff to earn their affection, as if their personalities and feelings were not enough. Nothing says "I love you" like throwing money at someone! This action of "showing your affection" is completely selfish because it is giving someone something and expecting something in return (which is usually sex). Now if you've ever read any kind of mushy love poem or story, you should know that love is supposed to be selfless; your parents selflessly love you, and any true friend selflessly loves you. If you are throwing gifts at someone because of a calendar event, then you are not doing it because you love them, you are doing it to satisfy your own lustful urges, to satisfy the opinions of others around you who may judge you.

So there you have it. Valentines day is the most pointless day of the year because it corrupts it's intended objective just by being what it is.

If any of you disagree with any/all of my points, please say so. I'd love to hear what your position is on this.

Now that I am in the middle of the second year of my relationship with my gf, Valentine's wasn't really that special, because I CAN show that same love and affection any day :D

That said, I certainly don't hold it against those early in their relationships who do use it a a really special day, sometimes we need such days to come around to convince us to make an effort at something, and it is indeed an awesome feeling to have finally have a Valentine on the day itself, one who is real and knows they are your's anyway :P

Let the people have their fun, if it doesn't hurt anyone and does cause some courage to be mustered, go the hell ahead with it.

Haha, what.

The vibe im getting is you are bitter as fuck because you spent valentines day as a single. Yeah, I read your post. Why does it matter to you? If im giving a female a present to get my dick wet, who cares? You? Why? Whats so fucking interesting about where my dick goes and how it gets there? Why cant you let people enjoy something you dont like?

Breaking news: "love" is a broad thing. You might express your love in one way, and someone else might do it in another way. One of those possible ways is getting a present for the special other.

(I still think we should have a singles day though. All singles go to a strip club or something. Shit would be awesome as fuck.)

Double post... really servers -.-
the important one is up there ^^^ No, above that. Yes, there we go.

you should do what I do on valentines day when I'm felling down (or anytime i'm feeling down really)... get hammered and buy an expensive hooker... always cheers me right up

I love Valentine's day...no other day of the year do you have the opportunity to see nearly all of your broke friends be forced to buy expensive presents for their girlfriends, spend lots of time with them & their friends, and pay for expensive meals. Suckers.

Mate, Valentine's Day was almost a week ago, don't ya think its a little pointless and irrelevant to be ranting now?

Torrasque:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Haha, what.

The vibe im getting is you are bitter as fuck because you spent valentines day as a single. Yeah, I read your post. Why does it matter to you? If im giving a female a present to get my dick wet, who cares? You? Why? Whats so fucking interesting about where my dick goes and how it gets there? Why cant you let people enjoy something you dont like?

Breaking news: "love" is a broad thing. You might express your love in one way, and someone else might do it in another way. One of those possible ways is getting a present for the special other.

(I still think we should have a singles day though. All singles go to a strip club or something. Shit would be awesome as fuck.)

I'm gonna take this as a troll post because you have nothing constructive to say.
All I got from you post was "lol umad?"
If I was as bitter as you seem to think I am, I'd report your ass, but I will let you have your troll fun.

I had plenty of constructive shit to say, you just chose to ignore it.

Anyway, thanks for calling me a troll, cause now I can report you. Bye bye :)

Torrasque:
-snip-

Okay. Now what do you intend to do about it? Because if you aren't going to do anything about it then you probably shouldn't spend so much time complaining. Let people buy their flowers and eat their candies in peace.

Torrasque:

brandon237:
Now that I am in the middle of the second year of my relationship with my gf, Valentine's wasn't really that special, because I CAN show that same love and affection any day :D

That said, I certainly don't hold it against those early in their relationships who do use it a a really special day, sometimes we need such days to come around to convince us to make an effort at something, and it is indeed an awesome feeling to have finally have a Valentine on the day itself, one who is real and knows they are your's anyway :P

Let the people have their fun, if it doesn't hurt anyone and does cause some courage to be mustered, go the hell ahead with it.

Valentines DOES hurt some people though. Many single people spend Valentines day blaming themselves for being single or feeling sorry for themselves.
You said you can show the same love and affection any day you want, but what about the people who can't? On a day where everyone is expected to express their love for someone else, not having that special someone can be very depressing. It is completely retarded for someone to be upset by such a stupid day.

Yes, yes it is. I've spent the vast majority of Valentine's Days single, and I've never felt depressed or sorry for myself. Getting a girl isn't some competition in which "falling behind" means you're fucked for life.

Basically, you choose to wallow in self-pity on a day in which people are having a grand time with their significant other, or just doing regular shit by themselves. And thus you feel everyone else shouldn't have Valentine's Day...

maddawg IAJI:
Mate, Valentine's Day was almost a week ago, don't ya think its a little pointless and irrelevant to be ranting now?

Dude, I say as much in the first fucking line. Learn to read.

Torrasque:

maddawg IAJI:

Dude, I say as much in the first fucking line. Learn to read.

Dude, you need to chill out. Its a harmless hallmark holiday. Just learn to let other people have fun with it and stop raining on the damn parade. :/

Lilani:

Torrasque:
-snip-

Okay. Now what do you intend to do about it? Because if you aren't going to do anything about it then you probably shouldn't spend so much time complaining. Let people buy their flowers and eat their candies in peace.

So if I have a problem with my government or a game, I should ignore it because I can't change it?
All I can hope to do is explain to others how stupid something is, and hope they agree.

Torrasque:

Lilani:

Torrasque:
-snip-

So if I have a problem with my government or a game, I should ignore it because I can't change it?
All I can hope to do is explain to others how stupid something is, and hope they agree.

Why is it so important that you convince them it's stupid? Is the overthrowing of Valentine's Day that important to you?

Valentine's trailer came out on that day, so I can't really complain.

More on topic, though, who cares? If people want to buy chocolate or whatever on Valentine's day so much then it's their choice. Nobody's forcing you to do the same.

It's a good excuse for me to buy my girlfriend gifts, which I love doing, while fending off the impending guilt with a "But it was Valentine's Day!" Also, I get gifts in return, which is also fun. There's mutual eating of chocolate. And, somewhat importantly, I feel, my girlfriend buys a nice outfit and there's plenty of the sexy sex to be had.

Okay, sure, not having someone on that day can be pretty crappy, but on the flipside, there's plenty of other equally lonely people who may be feeling particularly open to being asked out to a meal.

Torrasque:

Lilani:

Torrasque:
-snip-

Look, I agree that it's stupid and I have never celebrated it. I think I might even hate it more than you do. However, I don't rant about it to others (sorry that's how it sounds to me) because there is no point - it's a holiday 1) there wouldn't suddenly be huge masses of the population turning against it 2) I don't feel the need to spoil it for others. I don't like some Muslim holidays as well[1] but I don't try to tell them how and what to celebrate because it's stupid. And I'd be even more stupid to do it in the first place.

[1] My apologies to the Muslim - that was the first time I've mentioned it and you probably won't ever see me bring it up it again.

The only problem I have with it is the way people judge other people who don't "go all out" for it. In my last relationship, we agreed that it just wasn't important to us to do the whole Valentine's thing.. and we both got a lot of shit every year for it from our friends and acquaintances who acted like we were doing something terrible by not buying gifts and fighting crowds to go out for dinner. We were perfectly happy with it, though, and that's what mattered.

Being single doesn't bother me a bit, any day of the year. I'm single by choice. *shrugs*

I don't hate Valentines day. but me making out with the coolest person i've ever met, and her getting accepted to a school in Hawaii, thus taking her and the chance of a relationship away really, REALLY, REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY DEPRESSES ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh. sorry, needed to vent....

I don't blame the day though, I blame Hawaii lol
To the OP:
I understand and acknowledge most of your views. Lets live better and Love 24/7, how about that???
Peace out, Home-Skillet!

I think that you are actually missing the point of Valentines day, it isn't a day to give nice things to your SO, it's a day to celebrate love, especially if you have someone to share it with. Looking at it in that way, your anti-Valentine's Day rant can just as easily apply to any holiday so either take the position "All recognition days are stupid" or just accept that you don't like this one and let everyone else get on.

In the US we have a day to celebrate our national spirit, a day to celebrate trees and a day to celebrate family and community, you can certainly do those any day of the year. In Christianity we have a day to celebrate every major even in Jesus' life which no one will look down on you for doing it on every other day of the year. And almost world wide we celebrate our own existence and the continuation of things which need be limited to a single day.

I hate Valentines Day because it really has nothing to do with how St.Valentine drove the snakes out of Ireland.

Any holiday or celebration in general can be categorized as "stupid" if you break it down enough. Christmas we drag a tree into the house, put bulbs and tinsel on it and buy relatives we see once a year presents to say "yea I didn't forget you exist." At least in the case of Valentine's day, you only get something for someone you deem worthy. And no, not everyone celebrates it by buying gifts. Sometimes it's just a designated day to spend time together and be in love.

That sounds a lot less ridiculous than the zombie of Jesus dressing as a bunny and hiding plastic eggs full of chocolate eggs for children to fight over like it's the last nudey mag on earth. Even if you don't need an excuse to be all mushy, sometimes it's nice to have. You don't have to explain yourself, if your significant other is like mine, you don't have to convince them it's ok that you spend money or took extra time out for them that day. You can just point to the fuckin calender. Valentine's day is a celebration of love. Like Christmas was intended as a celebration of Christ, and Thanksgiving is a celebration of gluttony. Well, and the settling of North America.

I dont even understnad WHY single people get upset about valntines day...

who cares? mabye I just take too much pleasure in being single and smirking at those silly couples..I just do what I want like its any normal day content in my smug supirority

dude, the candy's cheaper than it usually is.

valentines day is great just for that reason.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Haha, what.

I concur! A singles day should be celebrated!

I think I've maybe bought one valentines day present ever... Normally it's women buying ME things that day, though it might be that I "gift" in different ways, usually through say providing a full massage(good with my hands :P), or cooking an orgasmically tasty supper, or just spending decent quality time with my woman, if possible. I don't see buying things as a way of expressing love, it's more of an admission that you couldn't find a better way to express it, and fail as a man.

Also I love valentine's day when I'm single, if you look around you there's TONS of women who are single and lonely who go out on valentine's so MAYBE some guy will approach them... You hafta be blind not to see that, it's the perfect day for a single guy to just say, go out hop on a bus and hang out at a coffee shop and approach a woman of your choice and maybe find a partner so you aren't lonely.

Overall unless you fall into the trap as a guy of just buying your girl shit all the time to try and make her fuck you more(which by the way is counteractive because it shows you to be inept, and unable to express yourself propperly, or makes it look like you're trying to buy her love.), valentines is a good day for all, if you let it be.

cthulhumythos:
dude, the candy's cheaper than it usually is.

valentines day is great just for that reason.

Amen. I loves me some Valentine's Day candy. That's for sure.

Like any holiday it means whatever you want it to mean. If you see it as some rubbish commerical holiday then that's what it'll be. I see it as just a general day of love. If you're in a relationship, do a little something extra special for your partner like you would on their birthday or an anniversary. If you're single and interested in someone it's a day when you can gather up the courage to ask them out. If you're single and enjoying it then go have a day out with your mates. You don't have to buy them huge bunches of flowers and you don't have to go out to expensive resteraunts to celebrate Valentine's Day.

I'm getting to be more against it. My two best friends both didn't get anything from their girlfriends, yet they're expected to pay for dinner and whatever else for their girlfriends?

I'm someone who's all about what's fair and equal, so this obviously didn't sit well with me when I heard it.

Love isn't about money.

All holidays only have as much value as we place on them. We celebrate Easter with chocolate eggs that a magic bunny left, we celebrate christmas with gifts a fat stranger left, why do we celebrate New Years? The length of time it takes the Earth to go around the sun is one possible metric of time that could easily be replaced by another, your birthday is the same thing, Halloween has nothing to do with it's original intent, christ tomorrow is pancake day, why do we celebrate with pancakes. The list goes on and on. Mother's day is the same thing yeah I do my best to show my mother I appreciate all that she's done for me but mother's day is just a particular day where I can make more of an effort. Valentine's Day is just like an anniversary, yes you can spend all year letting your partner know how special they are but it doesn't hurt anyone to have a particular day when you make more of an effort.

I used to hate valentines day to till I released it's an excuse to do something special with someone special, much like Christmas as an excuse to get together with people and have a good time. It's not the only day I do something special for my girlfriend but I don't mind having an extra excuse to show her how much I love her.

What I hate about Valentine's Day is that more people commit suicide on that day than any other of the year. Pretty certain that that can't be a coincidence.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Torrasque:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Haha, what.

I'm gonna take this as a troll post because you have nothing constructive to say.
All I got from you post was "lol umad?"
If I was as bitter as you seem to think I am, I'd report your ass, but I will let you have your troll fun.

I had plenty of constructive shit to say, you just chose to ignore it.

Anyway, thanks for calling me a troll, cause now I can report you. Bye bye :)

you win man...but did you need to report him for being a stubborn prick?

Torrasque:

Lilani:

Torrasque:
-snip-

Well, most won't. Valentines day as it exists now probobly comes from card and gift companies sure, but why does that automatically make it bad? Me and my girlfriend go out frequently and still love each other on every day of the year but maybe having a day set completely aside to spend with them isn't such a bad thing. Thinking on it, synchronizing it means you are less likely to make plans with someone else or whatever. It's just a way of making sure your loved one/ones know how you feel.

This year we went out for dinner, bought each other some DS games and played together all night. Is that stupid?

People don't treat it like some sacred institution, nobody who takes it too seriously is worth stressing about.

I use it as an excuse to dim the lights, play video games and have fun times with my girl. We don't spend a cent, we don't hear any of the shit, and we have a blast. Before that, I made it my "Troll everyone in high school" day, where I'd go around drawing dicks on everyone's balloons and stealing candies when they weren't looking. God it was fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked