Is it normal to feel weird reading what you write?

Not much discussion value. Just asking if it is a normal feeling even for good writers. (If there's one professional writer here would be great to know his opinion on this).

If you care about what you write, then yes it is normal.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by wierd. I mean I recently came across a short story I wrote nearly a decade ago, and the theme of it is much darker than anything I write today, so there was a definite feeling of "Wow, I can't believe I wrote that."

But it's not only feeling weird, it's feeling it isn't as good as it should be.

Define "weird".

For now, I say yes, it's normal because you do put thoughts and emotions in the writing. Sometimes you have to write something that really bothers you or conflicts with something you believe in. Sometimes the writing stems from a more primal part of you that you'd prefer to pretend it didn't exist. There are a lot of reasons to make you uncomfortable what what you write.

I may revise my answer based on your definition, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd but I'd like a bit more description of what you consider weird.

Hell yes. I'm not a professional writer in any way, but I do love writing. Friends, family, teachers etc have all told me I'm a great writer, but I have never been satisfied with a single piece I've ever written. Nothing ever sounds quite right. It's perfectly normal, and a lot of writers get it, so don't worry.

Also, as a heads up, if you go check out the forums at Penny Arcade, they have a whole section dedicated to questions and discussion about writing, not to mention a place where you can post stories for critique. If you're looking for more unbiased opinions (i.e. not people who know you and are perfectly happy to OK any kind of crap you hand them), that's a nice place to start off.

Anoni Mus:

That's always a good thing! A writer will always find ways to pick at the quality of their own writing - that's how you improve as a writer. Self-editing is a very important skill, and it's far better to feel that you could make your writing better than to become all precious about your writing and insist that anyone who criticises it doesn't understand literature/is a troll/etc. I tried pre-reading a fanfiction for someone like that the other day; my God, that was the most aggravating experience I've had in a while. Self criticism helps you grow. My own writing feels weird to read too, and I don't think I've ever looked at one of my pieces of writing without fiddling about with something.

DoPo:
Define "weird".

For now, I say yes, it's normal because you do put thoughts and emotions in the writing. Sometimes you have to write something that really bothers you or conflicts with something you believe in. Sometimes the writing stems from a more primal part of you that you'd prefer to pretend it didn't exist. There are a lot of reasons to make you uncomfortable what what you write.

I may revise my answer based on your definition, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd but I'd like a bit more description of what you consider weird.

It's hard to explain it.

But I've written very little so far, and I've stopped for some months and felt unmotivated altought I imagine the story in my head and some times right tips. (And I shouldn't say this, because as Cracked says, the more you talk about your stories the less you wrote them).
Part of it must be because I'm writting in English while I imagine the conversation in another language (Japanese, since It's more or less like a script of a manga), while I'm Portuguese and English is not even my mother's tongue.
Because all manga's I have read were in English, writing it in my language would feel even weirder I guess.

Suicidejim:
Hell yes. I'm not a professional writer in any way, but I do love writing. Friends, family, teachers etc have all told me I'm a great writer, but I have never been satisfied with a single piece I've ever written. Nothing ever sounds quite right. It's perfectly normal, and a lot of writers get it, so don't worry.

Also, as a heads up, if you go check out the forums at Penny Arcade, they have a whole section dedicated to questions and discussion about writing, not to mention a place where you can post stories for critique. If you're looking for more unbiased opinions (i.e. not people who know you and are perfectly happy to OK any kind of crap you hand them), that's a nice place to start off.

Thanks a lot, I'm checking that out.
I have no ideia if I have talent in writing. At school I never had good grades in those big compositions*, but it was more due to my lack of knowledge/interest in the matter I think.

*Dunno if this word means the same as in Portuguese. I meant those big texts you have to write in the end of your English tests.

I don't write (often), but as a lack-luster artist (pencil/paper). I can tell you with all honesty, that's just the trademark of an artisan. I look at my work and I see nothing but mistakes when I finish (Usually). Then I step away for a bit and examine it again. I'm able to acknowledge the skill level in my work.

But, don't you dare show me something I drew before I had a basic grasp of proportion/anatomy *Shivers*

Anoni Mus:

I get that a lot when I read old RP posts I wrote half a year ago or more, I see lots of bits where I could have improved or even sometimes feel embarrassed since in hindsight I can think of a better way to do or express something. I tend to put that down to myself being somewhat of a perfectionist but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone feels it to some extent.

OK, Anoni Mus let me see if I understand you correctly so far - you're asking whether it's OK to feel unsure of what you wrote. And is it acceptable to let that uncertainty affect your work.

Am I on the right track there? Try to correct me if I'm wrong. But if it is (close) to this, then it is perfectly reasonable and in fact inevitable, perhaps. But it's not only writing, it's everything - the more you spend thinking and crafting your work, the more minor flaws you will discover. They might not even be real flaws but things you think can be done better. Yes, it happens in writing. I've rewritten big amounts of stuff starting with minor "flaws" and then working myself up as a chain reaction. I've even scrapped huge lumps of work just because when I've finished it (or close), it doesn't feel good enough. Don't worry, happens to everybody. You can train yourself to avoid it somewhat.

feel weird?

if by wierd you think your own stuff is hilariously awful and cringe worhty than yee

I always hate reading back over things I've written after some time has passed because I want to rip them to shreds, no matter how good everyone else said they were. I think it's perfectly normal. But, as DoPo says, you can train yourself to let more "minor" things go at some point. It just takes time.

Back when I made horrible attempts at writing stories (I had one for every year of middle school, and they were all awful) I would always look back and see how bad they were. That's why I don't write. I get a good idea, and ruin it with horrible dialogue and characters that seemed so cool in my head.

So, in short, I guess it is kind of normal for it to feel weird.

That's me. I'm starting to write Smut, and I can never write it. I can't even do sex scenes, but I can write an epic zombie story with the detail of the blood falling when ones head was cut off, but can never write relly hardcore romance.

Maybe that's telling me something

I always feel a bit odd reading something I know I wrote. I finished co-writing/ ghost-writing a book recently and re-reading the manuscript gave me an odd feeling. Similarly, I find it hard to proof-read my own work, although I'm a good proof-reader/copy-editor in general.

Sarah Kerrigan:
That's me. I'm starting to write Smut, and I can never write it. I can't even do sex scenes, but I can write an epic zombie story with the detail of the blood falling when ones head was cut off, but can never write relly hardcore romance.

Maybe that's telling me something

Smut's easy. You write a clever story and then just throw in some vague terms that either:

A. Sound sexy, but make no sense or,
2. Never actually refer to sex and just use the ambiguity to deceive the audience.

Of course, if it's not original character smut, skip both steps and just don't do it.

Anoni Mus:

You are your own worse critic. However, instead of feeling bad about how much you perceive your work to be, instead use that as motivation to improve. Even if you are never satisfied with the end result, you will continue to improve. And if other people like your style, having it become better and better is only going to be a good thing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked