Buying my first gun.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?

If you want 9mm I'd go with a Beretta 92F, kind of a longer barrel and the way the sights are positioned make it very accurate. It's a little heavy so the recoil is very manageable. Also the magazine holds 15 rounds so you have that working for you too. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.

usmarine4160:
If you want 9mm I'd go with a Beretta 92F, kind of a longer barrel and the way the sights are positioned make it very accurate. It's a little heavy so the recoil is very manageable. Also the magazine holds 15 rounds so you have that working for you too. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.

I like the heavier feel but our by our laws we can't have a hand gun with a larger capacity than 10 rounds :(

we also can't have larger than a .38

doesn't that just make you appreciate just about every other countries gun laws just that bit more? :p

Potato gun.

There is simply no substitute.

Grant Hobba:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?

Grant Hobba:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

I would get this gun, I heard that it's pretty bad ass

lol i currently own 47 handguns, 13 shotguns and around 60 rifles/carbines depending on whether or not you consider changeable upper receiver rifles as multiple firearms or a single platform..and a few "collectors items" that don't fit in any of those categories....

what specifically are you looking for... hunting, home defense, target shooting etc. ?

Hal10k:
Potato gun.

There is simply no substitute.

While this is a valid option, potato guns should also be considered.

Grant Hobba:

usmarine4160:

I like the heavier feel but our by our laws we can't have a hand gun with a larger capacity than 10 rounds :(

doesn't that just make you appreciate just about every other countries gun laws just that bit more? :p

http://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/beretta/pistols-1/92-a1.html

They sell it in Australia with 10-round magazines, so now you must get one. If that CZ you're looking at uses 9x19mm rounds, then the 92F uses the same ammo.

Jedoro:

Grant Hobba:

usmarine4160:

They sell it in Australia with 10-round magazines, so now you must get one. If that CZ you're looking at uses 9x19mm rounds, then the 92F uses the same ammo.

Oh mad :) I will definitely have a look into that :) Thank you!

Liquidacid23:
lol i currently own 47 handguns, 13 shotguns and around 60 rifles/carbines depending on whether or not you consider changeable upper receiver rifles as multiple firearms or a single platform..and a few "collectors items" that don't fit in any of those categories....

what specifically are you looking for... hunting, home defense, target shooting etc. ?

Only target shooting, pistols for now,

I haven't had any experience with rifles, I did pretty good with the larger handguns though ubnfortunately they aren't legal in my state, so i'm pretty limited to what is actually legal here.

Grant Hobba:

Liquidacid23:

Only target shooting, pistols for now,

I haven't had any experience with rifles, I did pretty good with the larger handguns though ubnfortunately they aren't legal in my state, so i'm pretty limited to what is actually legal here.

ok then don't go with the Beretta 92F... they are OK pistols but not really the best or even that nice especially for target shooting not to mention automatics require a lot more maintenance... pick yourself up something simple... a .38 revolver is nice, cheap (around 300 bucks compared to the 1k you will spend on a Beretta) and easy as hell to maintain ... maybe a classic like a Colt Official Police or Smith & Wesson Model 10 would be good to start with... then once you decide if you want to make it a full time hobby or not you can start looking into more expensive pieces..

my first pistol was a classic colt detective special .38 snubnose... got it on my 8th birthday and still have it

Grant Hobba:

Jedoro:

Grant Hobba:

Oh mad :) I will definitely have a look into that :) Thank you!

Not a problem. Though I should add it's the 92 SERIES and not specifically the 92F. I linked you to the 92A1, which has a few improvements, such as that nice little accessory rail. Here in the states, California has a ban on guns that can hold more than 10 rounds in the magazine, so quite a few gun manufacturers will ship with 10-round mags. Anything you like, look for the manufacturer's website and try to find their Australia page or something international.

I'd personally start with something a little easier to use, a .22 is usually what kids stateside start with. But if I had to choose something besides that a 9mm Glock is a good choice, its simple and reliable.

Entropyutd:

Grant Hobba:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?

nope, but you're so condescending and witty on the internet, I bet that confidence translates well in the real world ;)

Grant Hobba:
what do you guys think?

Being from Australia (Victoria) I'd suggest getting a long arms license first, it's a CAT A+B in Victoria, not sure in NSW, it's far more easier to obtain and can be a useful stepping stone in moving to your handgun license, meeting guys at ranges who know what you'll need to do, firearm handling practice etc. Plus they're good fun too.

Not sure in NSW, but in Victoria, there's quite an arduous process to get a handgun, involves at least six months of pre-shoots and stuff, then you usually have to get a .22 handgun before you can move on to a larger calibre.

WolfThomas:

Grant Hobba:
what do you guys think?

Being from Australia (Victoria) I'd suggest getting a long arms license first, it's a CAT A+B in Victoria, not sure in NSW, it's far more easier to obtain and can be a useful stepping stone in moving to your handgun license, meeting guys at ranges who know what you'll need to do, firearm handling practice etc. Plus they're good fun too.

Not sure in NSW, but in Victoria, there's quite an arduous process to get a handgun, involves at least six months of pre-shoots and stuff, then you usually have to get a .22 handgun before you can move on to a larger calibre.

The funny part is more people have been killed by .22s than any other caliber.

Don't worry, I won't tell Australia ;)

Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?

Shock and Awe:
I'd personally start with something a little easier to use, a .22 is usually what kids stateside start with. But if I had to choose something besides that a 9mm Glock is a good choice, its simple and reliable.

I live in the UK, where gun laws are even more stringent than in Australia (unless you have a collector's licence, pistols are limited to 2-shot "humane killers") but friends in the US swear by Glocks for their reliability and comparatively light weight.

Although OP, your posts puzzle me: you contradict your initial choice of a .44 Magnum by saying that .38 is the ceiling for calibre. Also, don't Glock 9mm pistols, like the classic Glock 17 typically have a magazine capacity in the 17-round neighbourhood? Unless you get the subcompact Glock 26, which has 10...

I suppose the question is, what are you intending to use it for?

If you want a gun to shoot for fun get a .22. Ammo is cheap as hell, they are quiet, no recoil, and fun to plink with. However is you do want something bigger, I would recommend a Glock.

My first gun was a .45 1911 variant made by Rock Island Armory. I absolutely adore it, even now.

Which is easiest to shoot while driving drunk? I want that one.

Tazzy da Devil:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?

Really? Am I sensing the, "Guns are evil," mentality here? It certainly seems that way.

Obviously the OP would disagree with you here, and it appears many others on this thread would too. Why would anyone want a gun? The answer is quite simple. Shooting is, in fact, quite a lot of fun! Not only is shooting a competative sport, it is also sometimes necessary to own a firearm to control populations of dangerous/damaging pests, protect one's home, or even own them for the sake of collecting historical artifacts.

I would go for a .22.

A Ruger Mk. II or Mk. III is a good start. They are a little bit difficult to disassemble (I have heard), but they are the standard for beginning handgun shooters the world over.

Personally, my first handgun was a .45, but it was only because it was cheaper than the .22 I wanted. That, and I am a HUGE fan of the .45. Anyway... I would start with a .22 since it would be more practical with Australia's gun laws being what they are. I believe you could move up to a more interesting handgun once you have met the criteria to do so. Then again, I am not too familiar with the laws where you live.

My suggestion is a Sig P250. You can get it in 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, or .45ACP. The big deal about this gun, quoted from their website: "The P250's innovative design enables the shooter to quickly remove the functional mechanism and place it into the polymer grip of his choice. This allows an immediate change in caliber and size;(subcompact, compact and full)."

That means that you can buy a 9mm, and move up to a .45 one day, without having to pay for an entirely new gun. It was specifically designed to accommodate a lot of European laws that make it difficult for an individual to own many guns; instead of owning several in several calibers and sizes, you just buy one and swap out the parts.

DeadSp8s:
Which is easiest to shoot while driving drunk? I want that one.

Again: Potato gun. I cannot emphasize this enough. They're like mortars for spuds!

Don't shoot your eye out kid!

Tazzy da Devil:

Or a Nerf gun. It's hard to go wrong with Nerf, especially when the ammo is reusable.

Any 9mm 1911 will be a very good target gun. I own a .45 1911, and I can't get enough of shooting it. They fit the hand very well, are inherently accurate, and, considering that they have mild recoil even with a full house .45 load, there will little recoil with the 9mm round.

Either that, or get yourself a Springfield XD 9mm or the XD-M. They take down easy (4 parts, slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly, and frame) and they clean up real nice too.

DVS BSTrD:
Don't shoot your eye out kid!

Shooting your eye out with a pistol doesn't work, he'd blow his brains out.

usmarine4160:
The funny part is more people have been killed by .22s than any other caliber.

Not really surprising, they're silent and you don't need a high caliber to kill someone.

OT: Can't really suggest any, not a gun expert. Speaking from general knowledge though, I'd go with the 9mm Glock suggestion from above - and you say you've tried it out as well so you know what you'll be handling :)

Move to America and buy what ever guy you so please.

.45s? no problem!
9mm? might as well be a water gun its so common!
.50 cal anti-tank rifle?....no seriously you can in most states! (ammo is expensive but its awesome!)

/market plug

But in all seriousness, id go with either the .38 or the 9mm so you can go target shooting without spending a shit ton of money on ammo. that and .38 revolvers are awesome and glocks are pretty good. Though if you can get a hold of a .45 have at it, colt makes the best, though Springfield is pretty damn good too.

my guns count as this:
2 12 gauge mossberg pump action shotguns for hunting and skeet shoting
.308 bolt action rifle for deer hunting
.22 rifle for fun shooting
.22 heritage revolver for fun shooting
Glock 22 (the .40 cal model)
.45 m1911 colt (i want to be buried with this magnificent gun)
.380 walther ppk (james bond gun, shoots really well)
9mm Smith and Wesson (pretty good for home and road protection
.38 special revolver
and im looking at a good .45 colt revolver or some sort of assault rifle...maby even an M1 Garand or m14.

Tazzy da Devil:

hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
or because its say....pfft....a fucking gun hobby?

Entropyutd:

Grant Hobba:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

pfft, you funny little man, everyone knows that you get a big gun to match your big cock.
people with small cocks bitch about guns because they aren't manly enough to wield one without being scared and wine on the internet.
oh you are so silly!

I would recommend staying with a CZ, because they are remarkably accurate out of the box weapons. They are also relatively cheap. For a weapon of it's quality, you could compare it reasonably to a Glock or S&W of matching caliber. Also, their quality control is very good, and their customer service is top notch. Money saved on the pistol can go right into the other essentials; holster, extra magazines, and most importantly additional ammo.

Being your first handgun, I would stick with one of the three big rounds, 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. This is for three reasons: Ammo of these calibers is easy to find and usually inexpenisve compared to the rarer rounds. A single factory bullet in .500S&W for instance costs around $2. Also, depending on your size/frame, you might be able to handle the .45, which will allow you to learn better control in the future. However, if you are unable to handle the considerable recoil of the .45, I'd advise staying away until you're more experienced. It will cause you to form bad habits; flinching, jerking the trigger, improper grip.

I buy and sell firearms, and if you would like any advice I will endeavor to assist.

Grant Hobba:

I've never shot myself, didn't even know it was a hobby.

Be a real gentleman and buy a sword, that way you can challenge people to duals over matters of honour, and declare that the duel is to first blood. Much more civilized that way.

I've got a Glock 17, it's never done me wrong.

I'd pretty much recommend it to anyone.

AntiChri5:
Be a real gentleman and buy a sword, that way you can challenge people to duals over matters of honour, and declare that the duel is to first blood. Much more civilized that way.

Duels with firearms are perfectly civilized unless your name is Andrew Jackson, then it was just unfair.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked